Pomegranate

Don't even make third-person an option for DayZ standalone

I beat mines with a Meat Cleaver.

No, they will not remove third person view. While there is some unfair disadvantages with third person, it allows you to get a clearer vision (180), and makes you connect with the character so you actually feel as if you see your legs, arms, etc like you normally would in real life. Due to 90 degree limitations, however, you can't see much of your body unless you take the time to look down. In some ways, it's more realistic to have third person than first.

Its more realistic to have third person then first.

More realistic to have third person then first.

Realistic to have third person then first.

Realistic to have third person.

Realistic.

Uh... Wut?

• Like 4

Yeah, some of us get motion sickness with first person after 30 minutes of playing. We like our third person, thanks.

I get motion sickness from it but I still want it turned off. You can tweak the vision settings in the menu and do what I do - when you start feeling a bit iffy run outside where you can see the horizon, or better still stop for a few minutes, re-gear, feed/drink, reload etc.

I

http://media.officialplaystationmagazine.co.uk/files/2012/05/Pipeline-001.jpeg

If third-person was like that, i don't think it would be broken at all. You wouldn't be able to see what is happening behind your character, you wouldn't be able to stalk people because the camera would be way too close to your character, you wouldn't be able to go prone and see people behind cover. I do agree that driving, piloting and things like that, should be locked to first person, but they would have to improve the first person mode (copy/paste BF3, cause i never heard about anyone having motion sickness on BF3).

The reason i think that you should be locked to first person while you drive is because getting shot while driving would actually have some impact. Shooting on the car's window could potentially cause an accident.

• Like 4

This is still going then lol

I think the motion sickness is probably due to the ArmA engine. Depending on how good your hardware is it can be somewhat choppy. If you look at BF3 in comparison the difference is obvious, and even those with top spec pc's don't get ArmA anywhere near as smooth

With regards to 1st/3rd person, as long as the servers are one or the other, NOT both then I think thats the only way we'll not lose 50% of the players.

• Like 1

Maybe we should lock bandits into FP view.

* non-rendered / blurry camera = clunky engine code / netcode / hackable.

1. has nothing to do with network code. nobody sane would synchronize 3d visibility.

1.a wouldnt work anyway, since fps protocols and their udp packet integration techniques usually involve precognition on the client side (what we use for looking into chopper crashsites by moving against it)

1.b. if you really want to be sure, of course the server has to decide what you see and what not, at all times, to exclude hackers. but, and thats the problem in your logical argument...

2. if you can hack so deeply in an engine, you can do whatever you want, like transparent walls or position sniffing, and you do not need to circumvent a client side restriction anyway - and you can also use it in first person without change.

3. the same way someone could hack away headmovements in first person if everybody has fpv.

in this regard, since the blurring / shadowing was also suggested by myself, I agree, that it wouldnt work anyway, because it might even give too many advantages of late sync invisibility.

There is NO way to 'fix' third person:

because third person does not need to be fixed (except the camera being able to see thru rooftops)

it would be enough to check cameramovement validity silently every now and then.

- a 'pro' hive w/FPV only.

- an 'amatuer' hive w/both.

while i agree there should be servers, where 3rd person is inactive for people who explicitly like that gamestyle, your statement saying, that a "pro plays first person" is simply your own opinion, even if definitely shared by some oldschool FPS players. I do share this opinion regarding FPS vs. 3rd person shooters in general, and I had to get used to 3rd person in a shooting-game, too, and despised many games out of 3rd person gamestyle, especially if you were forced to stay in it.

But not in a game like dayZ/arma, where not only fast reaction and aim are enough to be really good, but also things like tactics, stealth, overall open field movement vs. urban warfare, knowledge, communication and social skills. and where 3rd person does give you disadvantages at the same time as does pure fp.

Also, dayZ has not only ranged weapons, it also has melee weapons, which are delibaretly different than in usual FPS games (where it is a proximity damage) - and for melee, first person is not ideal at all.

For me, somebody who only plays dayZ in fp only servers is more amateur, than somebody who learns to use his field of view and survive even if your killer can be a kilometer away. after all, the millisecond you need to switch views can be your death anyway, and 3rd person also always presents you with a blind spot and lesser magnification.

being a FP-vegetarian does not make you a better player in dayZ.

If mass suicide hacks et al. would not result in community problems for servers, dayZ would become more of a teamgame anyway, and more clan controlled servers would arise. all used abuses of 3rd person cannot help you, if the server you are on is filled with people who know each other and hunt your sniper ass down.

already as of today, i do not fear somebody abusing 3rd person, as the organized effort of a sniper team coordinating their attack by having multiple eyes on a target, which is also way more effective.

after all, dayZ should not be about a giant deathmatch inbetween zombies, it should be about survival resulting in distrust and greed. Since no gear, no car, nothing is forever in dayz, the real achievement should be to survive as long as possible, which is currently hard, because, the netcode is already a disaster in terms of packetrights in arma2 in general (and honestly, there is no excuse for it, there is simply no excuse for it, even if blog posts seem to suggest "arma would not have needed" those rights - which is simply not true; hacking items or moving other players is a broken netcode under all circumstances).

• Like 1

jerky vision when running - turn head bob OFF, its not difficult

poor field of vision - increase your FOV, or USE THE FUCKING FREELOOK BUTTON!! Its there for a fucking reason!!!!

These 2 'excuses' are piss poor excuses for 1. not looking through the options system and 2. not using the bloody controls Arma gives you by DEFAULT!!

However, yes, make it a server option.

the console kiddies can have their 3rd person 'authentic' arcade zombie survival, while the people who've actually played PC FPS'ers for the past 10-15 years can carry on as normal...... in first person.

• Like 5

15 years fps players dont have this attitude, we are quite adult right now - and never had consoles with fps.

and yah, calling others some politically correct names, like amateur, but trying to make a point about something being "overpowered", which actually is "noobish" is a bit laughable, too.

15 years fps players dont have this attitude, we are quite adult right now - and never had consoles with fps.

and yah, calling others some politically correct names, like amateur, but trying to make a point about something being "overpowered", which actually is "noobish" is a bit laughable, too.

Not sure I understand what your trying to say, could you clarify please?

In regard the second comment about 'overpowered' and 'noobish' I can only add my own experience from Unreal Tournament.

The Redeemer in UT is a tactical Nuclear warhead device. It will pretty much kill everything in its blast radius without fail. It was banned from all competitive servers (both league and public) because it was 'overpowered' and required no skill whatsoever to shoot (it was a FAF device, Fire and Forget)

As a result of this 'overpower' you would only find unskilled players camping its spawn location and using it because of the very fact that it was overpowered, hence only 'noobs' would use it. Skilled players would simply agree to ignore it, if for some reason it was turned on on a server.

Again, apologies if this is what you were stating anyway, I dont think your reply was particularly clear and I didn't know who exactly you were referring your comments to.

• Like 1

I simply wont play the game if I dont have 3rd person option

I wont pay money for a standalone version that doesent have 3rd person

I understand the problem with it, you can see around corners and others cant see you are there so its easy to kill them as they cant see you but you can see them - problem with this is that thats exactally what I want for Zombies

yea it sucks for PVP but really PVP sucks anyways all that happens is I get killed for no reason by someone that acted like they were friendly so I would not care if PVP could be turned off and have modes that allow it but for the most part it totally sucks and I would rather play a standalone game that is sorta like Dead Island as in things to do but also like Fallout as in places to go and people that will screw you over but no PVP's that just simply cheat or hack the game

I have only played this game for about 2 weeks and mostly I think its great but Arma 2 is a total piece of crap that I cant believe is a real finished game with so many glitches its crazy - DayZ has many of those glitches like the way your character moves, it snot smooth at all and the Zombies are a total joke the way they move - the standalone version had better fix these problems

Well I like to see my character running around, performing actions, cornering slowly with his weapon ready, that's half the fun since this is a cinematic mod mostly.

The human eye can detect movement quite easily with the "corners" of the eyes which in a FPS just doesn't happen, plus a human can move his eyeballs, plus moving his neck in the rate of milliseconds something which is impossible to do in an FPS game. Third person is the closest we have to simulate field of vision.

I really don't get why games still don't give third person view that renders only from the FPS field of vision but with a maximum field of vision of 180º of course and the vertical field of vision respectively, static objects are rendered but non-static are not, so no peeking without the danger of being discovered. Its possible but the game industry in the last decade only evolved in graphics quality because that's what sells, you don't want to give players games that are awesome, you want to give players games that are shinny but that will make you want to buy another.

Anyway... third person is a must to me, without it wouldn't even consider buying dayz/arma2oa and definately won't buy the standalone.

Just to add more fire to the flame- third-person in my mind destroys the immersion and realism that DayZ is all about - relying on your own two eyes to spot people in First person is alot harder than laying prone behind a tree and swivelling the mouse around

I wont pay money for a standalone version that doesent have 3rd person

Bye bye then...we can only hope for every one who doesn't buy the game because of the lack of 3P we get two who buy it in his place...

I sure hope the whining gets out of hand when they can't use peripheral vision like they were used to because the dots are obviously acradish...

Edited by Enforcer

For those with access to beta testing of the standalone, is third person enabled on the game?

There is third person in the Beta.

If this thread reflects the future the browser should be flooded with full [3D:OFF] servers, so you wont need to join our [3D:ON] servers.

win/win for everyone.

• Like 2

i support the idea of separate hives.

- a 'pro' hive w/FPV only.

- an 'amatuer' hive w/both.

This would make the game truely fair and players with more skill can move onto the 'pro' hive when they aquire the skillset to do so.

This would obviously cause a split in the youtube community as the 'pro' hive will become more desirable for status.

If the SA main hive allows 3DP or the hive isn't split in this way, I can't see how the hardcore community will bother staying. After all I hear Realtime Immersive has a Crytek based milsim in the pipeline.

So, because some people prefer third person, they're amateurs? :huh:

What you need to get through your obviously thick skull, is that people have preferences. You act like EVERYONE that uses TP uses it to cheat. That's not the case at all.

No, I prefer TP because I cannot stand running 10km in FP. I prefer TP because FP in Arma is awful.

When people get physically sick from playing FP in Arma, and HAVE to play TP, they're amateurs? You're fucking stupid.

They're not removing TP, it's gonna be in the standalone, and if it bothers you that much, play on a FP only server. Simple.

Your stupidity on TP literally knows no bounds.

Edited by Masterfocker

When people get physically sick from playing FP in Arma, and HAVE to play TP, they're amateurs? You're fucking stupid.

How can you get sick from first person if you turn off the irritating head bob?

theyll blame the bad fov, which can be adjusted, and when standalone introduces an easily changable field of view slider, the people who support third person will find a new bs argument. they use 3rd person to get an advantage during firefights, but they tell everyone a different reason

• Like 1

Doesn't really matter if you get sick or not, since when was ArmA/DayZ a pure FPS?

To be totally honest, I have no idea. However, I do get sick from prolonged use of FP, as have other people. The only explanation I have is just Arma's awful FP view. It's terrible even without head-bob

@kaylo Ignorance is bliss :rolleyes:

Don't like 3rd person?

Join a non-3rd person server.

Like 3rd person?

Join a normal server.

Seriously, it's not that difficult. Requires very little brainpower.

Seriously, it's not that difficult. Requires very little brainpower
You're obviously new here.

EDIT:

I just noticed, you actually are new here. :lol:

Anyhoo, logic won't get you anywhere in this discussion. Best to learn that one right quick.

Edited by Chabowski