m.w. vindicator

What DayZ has to learn from other games

While waiting for DayZ Game I have picked up some other titles and have begun playing them. I recently got Metro 2033 for free and I have really enjoyed the experience so far.

Now obviously the games are quite different but I think there lessons to be learned from Metro 2033.

First off, Flashlights look and work great in Metro 2033. It is a well know issue that flashlights are pretty broken in Arma 2. Besides the obvious flailing around when running, there are no reflections of any sort indoors. What you get is a circle that appears on the surface your pointing at. The guys at ShackTac have a made a simple solution for this problem for their own use but I think the DayZ devs can make a better solution to the problem that adds reflections and realistic looking light.

Headlamps should definitely be added to the game fairly earlier in development because I feel that it is an important edition. I hope night time stays very dark. But also, it needs to be more playable.

The hand charge system from Metro 2033 is pretty unique to them so I don't think DayZ should use that idea. 437226-metro-2033-xbox-360-screenshot-this-hand-crank-generator-charges.jpg

Gas Mask will probably make an appearance in DayZ Game. Biological hazards are known to be in the game so having a gas mask will definitely be helpful to prevent contamination. Filters should be required so that one can't simple wear the mask all the time and be home free for preventing infections. Gas mask should also be able to be damaged and eventually rendered ineffective.

Some parts of the looting system from Metro 2033 would work great for DayZ. In Metro 2033 ammunition and items can be grabbed off a body for quick looting.

For example, lets say you kill a bandit who was using an AK74. When you go up to his body, you will see the ammunition he had on his person. If he had an 30Rnd 545x39 Mag on his chest, the player can grab that mag with one button click. Also the mag loaded in the gun can be taken with ease.

This system should be combined with the current system. If player A kills player B, Player A could quickly grab some of the loot off dead body that was exposed on the body. A more thorough looting would require the player to use the current system to see the dead guys entire inventory.

I feel this would work great in tense situations were the current system is too clunky.

Another thing that should be considered in the far future is the inclusion of subway/metro tunnels. These tunnels wouldn't fit in a rural map like Chernarus but if an more urban setting was chosen, like Paris, New York, or Moscow a Metro would be amazing. I wouldn't expect anything any time soon though for blatantly obvious reasons.

I also recently picked up STALKER CoP and SoC from a steam sale for $9 USD. I haven't played them yet but I know that many DayZ players would like to see the weight based inventory system from that game. I might add more once I start playing.

I have never played Fallout but I would bet that that game has features that might improve the DayZ experience.

Feel free to add comments or more suggestions from games I didn't discuss.

Edited by Vindicator
  • Like 1

They are completely redesigning the clunky Arma II inventory system for the DayZ standalone so who knows, some of these changes may already be implemented, for obvious reasons though there can't be any discussion on the specifics of it by any of the developers.

I can also see the gas mask being implemented, especially with the whole 'disease/infection' system that is going to be added to the standalone.

You can't just say, "Let's do this, this, and this with the new game!". Metro 2033 and DayZ SA will have completely different engines, built to do different things. And hell, why would there be lessons to be learned? Maybe Day Z wants to be a different game? Not Metro Z.

• Like 1

You can't just say, "Let's do this, this, and this with the new game!". Metro 2033 and DayZ SA will have completely different engines, built to do different things. And hell, why would there be lessons to be learned? Maybe Day Z wants to be a different game? Not Metro Z.

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa. Chill out bro. Obviously these things don't just happen. I never said any where that I wanted DayZ to be MetroZ. The ideas I SUGGESTED are things that could be added in the game. The developers would obviously have to code them in, DUHHH. Just because there are using a different engine doesn't mean that it isn't possible. They are ideas from one game that would make sense in another (A.K.A lessons learned). This isn't a new thing and games borrow ideas from each other all the time.

Good grief, maybe next time I should state the painfully obvious things so that I don't get attacked...

Edited by Vindicator
  • Like 4

Good ideas I'm thinking there will be similar items and revamping in the SA to come close to your suggestion. A head lamp would be a nice way to have a hands free device allowing you to remain armed while using it.

OT dont play stalker (any of em) without looking into some of the amazing mods which fix certain issues. They transform the games.

OT dont play stalker (any of em) without looking into some of the amazing mods which fix certain issues. They transform the games.

I'll probably play CoP with the misery mod

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa. Chill out bro. Obviously these things don't just happen. I never said any where that I wanted DayZ to be MetroZ. The ideas I SUGGESTED are things that could be added in the game. The developers would obviously have to code them in, DUHHH. Just because there are using a different engine doesn't mean that it isn't possible. They are ideas from one game that would make sense in another (A.K.A lessons learned). This isn't a new thing and games borrow ideas from each other all the time.

Good grief, maybe next time I should state the painfully obvious things so that I don't get attacked...

i agree with welch on the first point and partially on the second point. nothing wrong with learning to work your game better from other games. however, i don't think flashlights are really on their list of priorities at the moment, with all the chaos and all going in BIS, also if this adds any semi-noticeable effect on FPS i am completely against this. the most important thing in my opinion right now is playing with the numbers, optimizing zombies and weapons, hackers, changing/editing map, improving food/hydration/surviving system, adding more viability and increasing versatility in weapons (adding/revmoing attachments would be nice), and finally crafting system.

Good ideas I'm thinking there will be similar items and revamping in the SA to come close to your suggestion. A head lamp would be a nice way to have a hands free device allowing you to remain armed while using it.

things like this would complicate dayZ a lot more, but i think nothing wrong with some gear choice, as long as it remains simple and realistic.i don't wanna be carrying couple of helmets and continuously swapping them.

i agree with welch on the first point and partially on the second point. nothing wrong with learning to work your game better from other games. however, i don't think flashlights are really on their list of priorities at the moment, with all the chaos and all going in BIS, also if this adds any semi-noticeable effect on FPS i am completely against this. the most important thing in my opinion right now is playing with the numbers, optimizing zombies and weapons, hackers, changing/editing map, improving food/hydration/surviving system, adding more viability and increasing versatility in weapons (adding/revmoing attachments would be nice), and finally crafting system.

things like this would complicate dayZ a lot more, but i think nothing wrong with some gear choice, as long as it remains simple and realistic.i don't wanna be carrying couple of helmets and continuously swapping them.

I see what you mean. I know that the optimization are priority one. The team is already working on this kind of thing. After that though, what features are the most critical for the experience. I think something like working flashlights is important. I think SA is going to much more complicated. I for one, will enjoy that.

Fixing the flashlights is the only thing that's needs to be done for me to play on night. Also, I'm not really sure that the mags-on-person thing will work. It might maybe.

But also, you've gotta remember that the inventory is being completely re-done.

DayZ, Metro and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. are great games in their own right and most DayZ players should play them for what they are, seperate games.

Im not one for games copying each other and trying to imitate each others game play. There are a lot of things broken in the mod, but the SA will fix those issues, but then again there will always be things in game people don't like and will comment on.

leave the games as seperate games that way you will enjoy it more that way.

It's "What other games have to learn from DayZ"...

Edited by Sutinen
  • Like 2

Fixing the flashlights is the only thing that's needs to be done for me to play on night. Also, I'm not really sure that the mags-on-person thing will work. It might maybe.

But also, you've gotta remember that the inventory is being completely re-done.

Same here for the flashlight fix. Nobody knows what the inventory system will be like expect the devs. I am sure it is still a WIP, though.

DayZ, Metro and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. are great games in their own right and most DayZ players should play them for what they are, seperate games.

Im not one for games copying each other and trying to imitate each others game play. There are a lot of things broken in the mod, but the SA will fix those issues, but then again there will always be things in game people don't like and will comment on.

leave the games as seperate games that way you will enjoy it more that way.

I agree that the games should be entirely separate. I don't really want game play to be similar. Just some minor things that need help, like flashlights. I used Metro as a comparison to a good flash light system. I am sorry if it was unclear.

Metro was designed around the lighting system like f.e. Doom 3 while ArmA 2 was designed around the virtual reality core which gives you almost realistic feedback if they haven't broken the mechanics again...

The so called ballistics in other shooters are far less realistic or let's say just rudimentary compared to ArmA.

Yes, Battlefield also gives you the same feeling but it's all packed in 10m² and is all arcadish action and far less realistic, that's why the PR team switched to ArmA 2 because they didn't have to redo the "basics" thery wanted to have in the first place. Yes it's far from perfect but better than a game that is designed around a certain feature which would be nothing without said feature. ( f.e. Doom 3 with all lights on takes away the horror of darkness )

Metro was designed around the lighting system like f.e. Doom 3 while ArmA 2 was designed around the virtual reality core which gives you almost realistic feedback if they haven't broken the mechanics again...

The so called ballistics in other shooters are far less realistic or let's say just rudimentary compared to ArmA.

Yes, Battlefield also gives you the same feeling but it's all packed in 10m² and is all arcadish action and far less realistic, that's why the PR team switched to ArmA 2 because they didn't have to redo the "basics" thery wanted to have in the first place. Yes it's far from perfect but better than a game that is designed around a certain feature which would be nothing without said feature. ( f.e. Doom 3 with all lights on takes away the horror of darkness )

I agree. I have wanted DayZ to be based on the Real Virtuality Engine the whole time. I don't want to change the engine. That would be practical development suicide. I am simply asking for better flashlights with the real virtuality.

I see what you mean. I know that the optimization are priority one. The team is already working on this kind of thing. After that though, what features are the most critical for the experience. I think something like working flashlights is important. I think SA is going to much more complicated. I for one, will enjoy that.

so much things far ahead in their list of their priorities bud, don't be expecting flashlights anytime soon though, it might be improved on the side after a while, i agree with you though, if you look at it from the perspective that this is a simulation.

I don't see a problem with getting inspiration from other games to make this game better.

Vindicator, I enjoyed reading your suggestion, it makes me hope that DayZ will be that good. Really hope they fix the flashlights. :P

• Like 1

so much things far ahead in their list of their priorities bud, don't be expecting flashlights anytime soon though, it might be improved on the side after a while, i agree with you though, if you look at it from the perspective that this is a simulation.

I guess seeing isn't that important to the game. Just kidding, seeing is really important. I don't understand your logic. What do you think is important.

Here is a brief list of what I think is important

1. Optimizations (already a WIP)

2. 75-100% enter-able buildings (already a WIP)

3. Simple and effective Zed AI (already a WIP)

4. Seeing at night ie. flashlights, headlamps, etc.

5. Inventory

6.Clothing/Customization

7. everything else

Prove me wrong. This is good discussion.

Edited by Vindicator

You obviously know a lot about engines. It isnt the engines that limit various things in games (like the quick looting mentioned), its the game.

You obviously know a lot about engines. It isnt the engines that limit various things in games (like the quick looting mentioned), its the game.

That is what I was trying to tell him. The devs can code many things into the game now with time and effort.

• Like 1

I don't think borrowing/using mechanics that are used in another game dilutes any of what DayZ is intended to be or makes it "Metro Z" or "Stalker Z".

If that was the case, since it's a FPS it should be called Wolfenstein 3d-z

• Like 3

I don't think borrowing/using mechanics that are used in another game dilutes any of what DayZ is intended to be or makes it "Metro Z" or "Stalker Z".

If that was the case, since it's a FPS it should be called Wolfenstein 3d-z

My point exactly!

It would be copying if DayZ used Nosalises, Watchers, Bloodsuckers, and Snorks.

Another thing that I like with Metro is the Military Grade Ammunition and the dirty post-apocalyptic manufactured ammo.

While I don't know about players being able to make ammo. There are lots of factories around Chernarus so it is possible that the parts necessary to make bullets might exist. I have not idea on how one would make a bullet. There procession is complicated I am sure. But since when has something being complicated stopped DayZ?

I don't necessarily want a currency system but if it was implemented, bullets would be the way to go.

• Like 2

It would be copying if DayZ used Nosalises, Watchers, Bloodsuckers, and Snorks.

Another thing that I like with Metro is the Military Grade Ammunition and the dirty post-apocalyptic manufactured ammo.

While I don't know about players being able to make ammo. There are lots of factories around Chernarus so it is possible that the parts necessary to make bullets might exist. I have not idea on how one would make a bullet. There procession is complicated I am sure. But since when has something being complicated stopped DayZ?

I don't necessarily want a currency system but if it was implemented, bullets would be the way to go.

This could make factories a hot-spot for player bases. Groups could set up in, and guard factories, craft their goods and trade them (or keep them for their own banditry.) Now, a concern that will undoubtedly come up is that of players mass-producing items. To address this, scrap metal and other such materials would be rare finds, and found in distant junk-yards and other such places.

I've played on servers with makeshift trading posts, and the experience was incredible. It adds a whole new dynamic to the game, and a real sense of achievement for the players setting up the place and the bandits taking it down.

Edited by Very Ape