WildGunsTomcat

Be aware, I'm going to start banning.

"If you don't ----play on our servers----, you've got nothing to fear from 'power-hungry' and 'deluded' admins like me and Wildgunstomcat."

FTFY

What the fuck happened to the other thread with Vip's post in it? As he said there, the point is that 'proof' is very hard to get for something like this and it comes down to A's word against B's with the Admin getting more than enough rope to hang himself and every other person on the server.

I'm also pretty sick of your insistence that nobody could possibly want admins to have some reasonable limits on our power without wanting to exploit or cheat in some way. You are clearly wrong on that, as I exist. I exist, therefore, you are wrong. I've -never- fucking disconnected to avoid a PvP fight OR to despawn zombies as seems to be even more common, just because if I aggro them, it's my fault, I have to deal with those consequences.

Stats are meaningless, I could have 100 murders but if I had dc'd once mid-firefight that would be a meaningless achievement as I would've cheated to get it and that's like bragging about the World Series you won while on steroids or the achievements you got in -insert game here- while using cheat codes for God mode.

The problem is not Server Admins getting exploiters off their servers, I don't have an issue with that, the problem is, as Vip said, it's very fucking hard to nail down when a ban is legitimately needed and when it isn't, not to mention this is doubly the case when the scenarios occur in extension. So what you'd have is a whole lot of people gaming admins, and even some admins taking advantage of this, to ban whoever ticked them off or stole their shit because there isn't an effective way to prove the disconnecter alt-F4'd.

You might be fairly confident if you experience it first hand, but you can't prove it outside of FRAPS'ing both your screen and theirs, as with the hellacious amounts of desync we have in 1.7.1.x we can barely keep a group of mates together let alone be sure the enemies we see are actually where they appear to be.

So my point is, as it has been for the whole thread, it's far better to keep the can of worms, inside the can, and let the Devs find ways to deal with these exploits that don't result in so many dramatic situations and bans on less than solid ground.

I've got fraps running permanently while playing the game. I record almost every kill I make. It's honestly not that hard knowing when someone desyncs and when someone disconnects because you shot at them. Especially not if the guy is enough of an idiot to go idle in the lobby after aborting.

I run my server pretty well, if I do say so myself. I don't abuse my admin powers. The only thing I try to do is provide a nice, fair and enjoyable server for all my players.

Here's my server's official thread on the host's website

http://www.nag.co.za/forums/showthread.php?18385-The-Official-NAG-DayZ-Server-Thread

Feel free to ask the people there if they think I'm a bad, power-hungry, deluded admin.

In my server's history, I've only ever banned two people for DCing, one of which was also only a 24 hour ban.

I hardly think I'm a deviant or 'rogue' admin on a power trip.

Regardless of what you think. Or how you want to spin other peoples posts in your favour.

Most servers will ban for it.

You can come to the forums and cry about it.

The Devs wont give a shit' date=' you will stay banned, they wont blacklist the server.

/thread.

[/quote']

I didnt "spin" anything in my favor, its clearly stated by Rocket himself that "Rocket: You may not ban a user for stealing your loot, killing you, spying on you, etc."

that also means dc'ing and he has kept with that even while saying as alot of PayToPlay admins have previously mentioned

"Rocket: I don't have the resources or the inclination to balance the game, or develop some kind of punishment system. So that just ain't going to happen, even if it was within the scope of the project (and its not)."

So man up server admins and stop enforcing your own QQ rules.

Christ Corvax. We are going to ban for people who ruin the game by exploiting and disconnecting. Get over it already. Stop trying to fight that we're not allowed to do it' date=' because all you're really fighting for is your 'right' to spam alt-F4 every time someone shoots at you.

[/quote']

what i am fighting for is not the right to spam alt-f4, quite the opposite, I dont want this game to be filled with idiots like OP who seem to enforce their own rules and keep trying to get others to follow him when he is clearly not following the rules.

DCing is inexcusable. If I gather proof to back it up' date=' I WILL ban players for it.

[/quote']

Ive never dc'ed to survive and I hate having to sit there 15 minutes waiting for a guy who just logged on to another server so Im scouting for ghosts, its not a moral thing to do dc'ing but its not within admins rights to weed out the bad eggs for themselves.

Don't play a goddamned hardcore survival' date=' perma-death mod, if you're too pussy to actually play it without cheating.

[/quote']

I always play on veteran or expert, no kill names, no 3dp, no ch, because thats how i feel like the game should be played.

If you don't disconnect to avoid death' date=' you've got nothing to fear from 'power-hungry' and 'deluded' admins like me and Wildgunstomcat.

[/quote']

To be honest do you really feel like this is how it should be? that I should go on forums and check every server that I intent to go on, hoping there is a thread about if the host is BanHappy or a PayToPlay admin?.. seems abit excessive to me and not very mature on the admins part. IMHO

/out

"Admins are free to ban DCers when caught (as was discussed around a month ago)" - Griff

And in the other thread if you read it, Vipeax didn't give a thumbs up, OR a thumbs down.

He basically said that there is no clear answer. He doesn't personally think it's right...but he also said that they're not going to blacklist for it.

So in closing, as I said before, the only people that I need to worry about having an issue are the devs.

The rest of you can cry and scream about me getting blacklisted all you want, it's not going to happen just because you want it to.

This thread needs to die now.

Regardless of what you think. Or how you want to spin other peoples posts in your favour.

Most servers will ban for it.

You can come to the forums and cry about it.

The Devs wont give a shit' date=' you will stay banned, they wont blacklist the server.

/thread.

[/quote']

I didnt "spin" anything in my favor, its clearly stated by Rocket himself that "Rocket: You may not ban a user for stealing your loot, killing you, spying on you, etc."

that also means dc'ing and he has kept with that even while saying as alot of PayToPlay admins have previously mentioned

"Rocket: I don't have the resources or the inclination to balance the game, or develop some kind of punishment system. So that just ain't going to happen, even if it was within the scope of the project (and its not)."

So man up server admins and stop enforcing your own QQ rules.

Christ Corvax. We are going to ban for people who ruin the game by exploiting and disconnecting. Get over it already. Stop trying to fight that we're not allowed to do it' date=' because all you're really fighting for is your 'right' to spam alt-F4 every time someone shoots at you.

[/quote']

what i am fighting for is not the right to spam alt-f4, quite the opposite, I dont want this game to be filled with idiots like OP who seem to enforce their own rules and keep trying to get others to follow him when he is clearly not following the rules.

DCing is inexcusable. If I gather proof to back it up' date=' I WILL ban players for it.

[/quote']

Ive never dc'ed to survive and I hate having to sit there 15 minutes waiting for a guy who just logged on to another server so Im scouting for ghosts, its not a moral thing to do dc'ing but its not within admins rights to weed out the bad eggs for themselves.

Don't play a goddamned hardcore survival' date=' perma-death mod, if you're too pussy to actually play it without cheating.

[/quote']

I always play on veteran or expert, no kill names, no 3dp, no ch, because thats how i feel like the game should be played.

If you don't disconnect to avoid death' date=' you've got nothing to fear from 'power-hungry' and 'deluded' admins like me and Wildgunstomcat.

[/quote']

To be honest do you really feel like this is how it should be? that I should go on forums and check every server that I intent to go on, hoping there is a thread about if the host is BanHappy or a PayToPlay admin?.. seems abit excessive to me and not very mature on the admins part. IMHO

/out

Oh by the way Corvax, Rocket said DC'ing is an exploit. AN EXPLOIT.

You can talk shit about me all you want, not a single fuck was given...but don't put words in his mouth. Now, on with your derogatory comments on this thread. No one takes you seriously anyway.

I don't think anyone here has said DC'ing wasn't an exploit or cheap as fuck Wild, what we've said from the start is that the Dev's haven't granted Server Admins the right to police it as the only ones who will be protected then from DC'ing are server admins and it'll be he-said-she-said outside of that as there isn't any logging that would allow for remotely definitive proof.

So...again...what happened to the other thread?

Yes. Yes I do. There are going to be admins who abuse it, yes. I don't. I'm a fair admin. I'm not going to leave DCers to ruin the experience for the legit players simply because somewhere out there an asshole admin is going to abuse the system.

And I take offence at you calling me a BanHappy admin. If you actually knew me, you'd know I absolutely HATE being an admin. The only reason I'm an admin is because there's nobody else I can ask to run the server for me. Sometimes I actually feel I'm a bit too lax on enforcing the server rules, simply because I hate having to be the admin and/or the one to police my server.

I am anything BUT a BanHappy admin.

I am the admin of Chicago 21 and 22.

I am seeing a LOT of DC'ers now.

Before the tears start flowing and the threads start popping up on the servers....anyone that DC's on me is getting an insta-ban.

I'm not fucking around anymore. I'm sick of PVP'ing someone and they DC on me or sit in the fucking lobby like a coward.

I expect vitriol for this' date=' not a single fuck was given. You're exploiting a weakness in Arma 2 and until Rocket patches this coward shit out...I'm going to remove you weak fucks from my atmosphere.

That is all.

[/quote']

US 104 Supports This Thread

This Link Is Our Declaration.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=21983

I suppose it's a bit redundant at this point, but NY47 does not.

It's giving admins enough rope to hang themselves with, without the proper tools or resources to be able to enforce this rule fairly and adequately. It isn't a solution.

I suppose it's a bit redundant at this point' date=' but NY47 does not.

It's giving admins enough rope to hang themselves with, without the proper tools or resources to be able to enforce this rule fairly and adequately. It isn't a solution.

[/quote']

It's working for me.

YOU, sure.

The rest of the server is SOL.

That or your server is ripe for abuse where people can get others banned just by claiming X disconnected when I fired at them. All you can do is check to see if X disconnected...if X did...derp...must have DC'd, guess I ban them.

YOU' date=' sure.

The rest of the server is SOL.

That or your server is ripe for abuse where people can get others banned just by claiming X disconnected when I fired at them. All you can do is check to see if X disconnected...if X did...derp...must have DC'd, guess I ban them.

[/quote']

I have never banned someone if I wasn't entirely sure he was guilty or didn't have proof to back it up.

So, no. My server is not ripe for abuse.

Try again. :)

Edit: Then again, I have explained this countless times already. If you're going to ignore what I say, stop wasting my time with silly arguments.

No, you haven't.

You've said how you know if someone DC's on YOU and that you can prove that since you run Fraps all the time. You are yet to say how you are going to protect anyone else on your server from DC'ers. Short of them ALSO running fraps with time-stamps, knowing the id of the person they were shooting at, and being able to line their timestamped DC up with server logs you can't know with any level of certainty that the person claiming to be a victim of a DC'er isn't making a false claim.

By removing people I catch DCing, I AM protecting the other people in my server from them. If they're banned, they can't bother the other people on my server.

Also, this nonsense that it is 'unfair' that I can ban players I catch DCing, but not those other people are catching DCing is also pretty much hogwash. So I should stop banning people for it because it is somehow 'unfair' towards the other people on my server?

That's like saying it's unfair that traffic officers can fine speeding maniacs, but civilians can't.

Chicago 29 supports this thread I ban all dc'ers and join spammers that I have personal knowledge of.

I'm not a ban happy admin in fact there have only been a 3 bans on the server to date and one was for racist language. I will never ban someone without a warning first and give them a chance to stop being an exploiter or an asshat.

I will only ban with proof so far I have not had anyone dc on me in combat but I have had lots of complaints about it including an incident with the crew I roll with. Someone popped in at NW Airfield killed 2 of our guys and dc'd when 3rd started shooting at him. Did I want to ban him.... your damn right I did I knew my guys were not lying but as I did not witness said event I felt that I could not act.

I follow the devs rules for server admins as well as I can but I will not allow a small portion of this great community to ruin the experience for myself and the people on my server. Until the devs can find a solution for these problems the server admins have to do something.

I'm sick of these people thinking they can do whatever they want then try to hide behind the devs admin rules crying on the forums about how we are wrong and they are just poor innocent victims.

You are cheaters, exploiters, and griefers if thats the way you want to play fine but be prepared to deal with the consequences.

A bunch of bandits (oops, I meant clan members... silly me) group up to pick on lone survivors exploring places like NWAF and SS for lulz, then get their panties in a bunch when some of their victims disconnect.

Cute. :)

Carry on, "gentlemen."

A bunch of bandits (oops' date=' I meant clan members... silly me) group up to pick on lone survivors exploring places like NWAF and SS for lulz, then get their panties in a bunch when some of their victims disconnect.

Carry on, "gentlemen."

[/quote']

spoken like a dumb ass that doesn't understand what exploit means.

Typical :(

Carry on Dumb Ass

A bunch of bandits (oops' date=' I meant clan members... silly me) group up to pick on lone survivors exploring places like NWAF and SS for lulz, then get their panties in a bunch when some of their victims disconnect.

Carry on, "gentlemen."

[/quote']

Uh-huh. You're a 'special' kid, aren't you?

Bandits hunting survivors is for some reason morally wrong, but it doesn't break any rules. Exploiting a bug breaks a rule.

One party gets hated, the other gets hated AND banned.

Carry on, "gentlemen."

[/quote']

spoken like a dumb ass that doesn't understand what exploit means.

Typical :(

Carry on Dumb Ass

"Mensan" and "dumb ass" don't quite go together.

Carry on, dolts. :P

Uh-huh. You're a 'special' kid' date=' aren't you?

[/quote']

I've got more high IQ memberships than you have fingers. ;)

And since some of you are obviously from these aforementioned "special ed" classes, I'll try to be clearer and expound on my original post: disconnecting to avoid death isn't ideal, nor is it something Rocket particularly approves of... but I do find it rather amusing that a bunch of bandits who group up with the secondary purpose of finding and killing survivors (I'm being generous and assuming that's not their only raison d'etre) get their panties twisted when their intended victims "get away".

It's also funny because 90% of these same "clanies" would disconnect in a similar situation. Of course, we're not allowed to say that... shhhh. :P

I am the admin of Chicago 21 and 22.

I am seeing a LOT of DC'ers now.

Before the tears start flowing and the threads start popping up on the servers....anyone that DC's on me is getting an insta-ban.

I'm not fucking around anymore. I'm sick of PVP'ing someone and they DC on me or sit in the fucking lobby like a coward.

I expect vitriol for this' date=' not a single fuck was given. You're exploiting a weakness in Arma 2 and until Rocket patches this coward shit out...I'm going to remove you weak fucks from my atmosphere.

That is all.

[/quote']

LOL SOMEONE'S ANUS IS SORE

I've got more high IQ memberships than you have fingers. ;)

And since some of you are obviously from these aforementioned "special ed" classes' date=' I'll try to be clearer and expound on my original post: disconnecting to avoid death isn't ideal, nor is it something Rocket particularly approves of... but I do find it rather amusing that a bunch of bandits who group up with the secondary purpose of finding and killing survivors (I'm being generous and assuming that's not their only raison d'etre) get their panties twisted when their intended victims "get away".[/quote']

Oh really, Dr Sheldon Cooper? So it's okay to cheat and exploit to avoid a legitimate aspect of the game then?

I reiterate, if you DC to avoid death, why are you playing the mod in the first place? If you're too pussy to play a hardcore survival mod, then you should go back to playing Sims.

It's also funny because 90% of these same "clanies" would disconnect in a similar situation. Of course, we're not allowed to say that... shhhh. :P

Now you're making wild claims to substantiate your already weak argument. Okay. People are apparently now doing the same things they ban players for. It's not like doing something like that will get your server blacklisted, is it?

love all these people trying to justify their use of a blatant exploit. Especially by quoting OUT OF CONTEXT an old ass post rocket made in april when DCing wasn't such a widespread issue.

DCing is wrong and I agree DCer's should be banned. But I also think that guys that need 4 buddies to take out 1 lone survivor are pansies too. Rock on Lone SUrvivors! I hope you throw a grenade right in the middle of their sausage fest and kill 'em all! Oh wait what's this? Two if them DCed?! Most people bitching about DCing don't even practice what they preach.

Most people bitching about DCing don't even practice what they preach.

Where do you get this from? Experience, or just wild claims?