-Guardian-

"Zombie Logging" What's your take?

How about not being able to log out while you have aggro?

And for those who are pissed off with it......does running into a bush or round a corner count as an exploit?

Yeah i dont understand where you're going with this. Losing aggro without disconnecting is part of the game, it IS the game.

Someone could always be stalking you. Is it wrong if I log out for the night in a building while someone (whom I was unaware of) was preparing to kill me? These two situations have the same result; another player loses out on a kill/fun, so they must both be equally bad.

The most interesting thing, I think, is where does the community draw the line on exploiting flawed mechanics? Zombies walking in buildings is not an intended game feature, and it makes it far easier to either ditch zombies or take them out one by one. I don't see anyone complain about players doing this. Is this wrong?

Fair point, guess i didnt really think that one through, though if there was a timer on Zombies then I would be right again! i demand rocket puts this in! I wanna be right! :(

Yeah, I'd support a feature similar to the combat timer. If zombies are actively pursuing a player then the 'abort' button is greyed out until the player loses the zombie.

Also, I'd just like to state that I am not an advocate of logging out to avoid any kind of conflict (player or zed). I just was playing Devil's advocate.

It's not as bad as combat logging, but it is still bad, after all it was your bad decision surrounding yourself in the coffe shop, I would have killed some of them with my pistol and try to run through them

Who cares? It doesn't harm anyone.

Combat logging, brightness manipulation, scripting, using scripted weapons all can directly harm other player's experience, but in this situation the only person losing out on anything is the zombie logger themselves. They are missing out on a potentially intense experience that makes DayZ great.

I think a lot of people just like complaining for complaining sake.

It doesn't harm anyone? Did you think this through before posting?

You make an argument that combat logging is bad for the "other" players experience yet zed logging isn't... but what about the player who was taking up position to scout out the town because he noticed zeds were agro'd? Then all the sudden all the zeds disappear, meaning who ever was just in town logged. So now this player's experience WAS just harmed as you described.

*edit

Ah, for some reason the thread wasn't showing a 2nd page when I posted this, and someone has already given the same response as I have.

Edited by OFC_Bill

It doesn't harm anyone? Did you think this through before posting?

You make an argument that combat logging is bad for the "other" players experience yet zed logging isn't... but what about the player who was taking up position to scout out the town because he noticed zeds were agro'd? Then all the sudden all the zeds disappear, meaning who ever was just in town logged. So now this player's experience WAS just harmed as you described.

Not exactly. If the player is close enough, the control of the zombies might be transferred to his computer.

Does this game really have a point, besides the one you create for yourself? Also, I don't think you can draw conclusions on an individual's character purely on how they play a game.

It's an exploit.

He stays in the game with the 12 zombies, he dies. He logs out, he's alive.

How is that not an exploit? It's a "Zombie Survival Game".

Definitely a cheap move to do. If you can't handle fighting zombies, you clearly can't handle the game in any way. What is the purpose for playing then? I don't think it's on the same level as combat logging, a minor infraction, but still not good. If you can't handle a few zombies, then you die, plain and simple.

If you can't deal with zombies you should just stop and go play another game. Zombies are ridiculously easy to deal with.

Growls, screams, and the sound of a mob all behind me as I am running through town. No one anywhere close except for the undead hot on my tail. As I lose some around the wall, I gain others close by. Armed with only my M9 and 7 rounds, I make a split second decision to take refuge inside of a coffee shop. Running up the stairs, I hear over a dozen coming in after me. Knowing i wouldnt be able to take them all on, I quickly log out and join back in. As I am re-entering into this virtual hell I realise the coffee shop is completely empty. Logging out had made them disappear, leaving me alone and able to continue on my journey.

What is your take on "Zombie Logging" and does it rank up there with Combat Logging? Im interested in peoples opinion on this certain 'strategy' so to speak on losing the undead.

If you're quick you could make it out of this situation alive, thats part of the fun!

Both combat loggin and "zombie logging" are just as bad. Zombies are already pretty much useless, some players just call them "annoying"

The combat "timer" should stay active until you have zero zombies aggroing you. Then with no aggroed zombies you should be able to log out. Easy way to do it, I would imagine this being way easier than making the player combat system.

Edited by Sutinen

I had one instance where I alerted a single zombie, but even after an entire magazine emptied in him from my G17 he was either gliched or invincible. He broke my legs and knocked me unconscious and by now there were about 2 snacking on their manwich. When I got up, I just logged out.

• Like 1

Logging out to survive in a game, where the entire goal is to survive, seems like completely defeating the purpose.

I like how you've dramatized the whole post about how you're scared, outnumbered and cornered and then alt-f4 to save whatever loot you have. In my opinion losing connecting while in combat/aggro should result in a instant death, so noobs are forced to learn to play the game, instead of mastering how to shut the game down fast, because they are more attached to their loot, than the gameplay.

What I think:

25tunb9.jpg

Edited by Dallas
  • Like 2

I'm not sure why the OP ran up the stairs in the coffee shop rather than out through the open doorway at the opposite end of the hall though, that would have sorted out this particular mess :P

Edited by Jamz

Growls, screams, and the sound of a mob all behind me as I am running through town. No one anywhere close except for the undead hot on my tail. As I lose some around the wall, I gain others close by. Armed with only my M9 and 7 rounds, I make a split second decision to take refuge inside of a coffee shop. Running up the stairs, I hear over a dozen coming in after me. Knowing i wouldnt be able to take them all on, I quickly log out and join back in. As I am re-entering into this virtual hell I realise the coffee shop is completely empty. Logging out had made them disappear, leaving me alone and able to continue on my journey.

What is your take on "Zombie Logging" and does it rank up there with Combat Logging? Im interested in peoples opinion on this certain 'strategy' so to speak on losing the undead.

As with most things, I think this particular thing falls under the discretion of the player, so long as it does not in any way shape or form, interfere with another player.

I personally am against it in most circumstances, but there has been an occasion I've done it :- When I really REALLY needed a piss and couldn't hold it any longer and once when I had the phone ring and was waiting for the doctor to call. Other than that, I've died, and I'll continue to keep dying (Well, it doesn't happen often since zombies aren't a threat) otherwise it could become a habit and the one thing that makes DayZ fun for me, is the suspence, which would all but be abolished if I kept combat logging.

However, I, nor anyone else, can dictate to you how you play your own game. We can frown upon it, look down upon you or whatever, but as you can see, I did it to pee, for someone else that still might not be a good enough reason, so who are we to dictate what rules you can and can't.

I think combat logging against a player is a completely different ball game, and, completely wrong. Something I won't do, but, I also think some players can be utter asshats, so I have no sympathy to them if it gets done to them either. I would however, make sure it wasn't a possible solution to the game, as simply, the whole game is about surviving, if you take the element away from the game, what else is there?

Every bit as bad as combat logging IMO. Zombies are hardly a threat as it is. People just run past them as if they aren't there. And when it finally happens they are in danger of getting killed by zombies they just log out. Makes you wonder what is even the point of having zombies in there in the first place? I really hope there is a "zombie aggro" log out timer in the standalone.

I just want to let people know that the OP was me playing Devil's Advocate. It wasn't an actual scenario, I created it to see what you guys would think on the situation. It was all based on two kiddies arguing on Teamspeak earlier that day about one of them doing something similar. :)

Goggalor

Who cares?

I care..we all care.

anniecanoe

IMO it's not really an exploit, or at least a vanishingly minor one. You're not denying any other player of a benefit, you're inconveniencing yourself more than anything -- I'm relatively new and have found a couple of tricks to lose aggroed Z's (run into a bush and wait they'll reset and wander off*, or sprint out of sight around a corner and immediately switch to jog and get around the next corner or obstruction). I find I can lose a zombie crowd in a few seconds if I'm careful.

*Is THAT an exploit?

You are just being silly,

Stop it. :emptycan:

jdz

It is an exploit and a bitch move, you are only cheating yourself out of the game. If you resort to tactics like this you are just lessening the game. Do this on my server and I will ban you

BanHammer.

He swings it. :beans:

VADER

imo it would be the same as Combat Logging. Take them on, run away or die like a man

Die like a man.

Live up to your musty birthright :beans:

Rooneye

..less fun for other people.

We all want fun.

Musty fun :beans:

jdz

I've caught 5-6 people doing it and have dealt with it appropriately. It's more about making an example of others than anything else

BanHammer.

Swinging it like a Musty baaaws. :beans:

Mr Horsey

And for those who are pissed off with it......does running into a bush or round a corner count as an exploit?

Stop it . :emptycan:

DanielTy88

Have you ever heard of a bush...Hide in it...

Bushes, covering our asses since our knuckle dragging days :beans:

Dreygar

I had one instance where I alerted a single zombie, but even after an entire magazine emptied in him from my G17 he was either gliched or invincible. He broke my legs and knocked me unconscious and by now there were about 2 snacking on their manwich. When I got up, I just logged out.

Manwich :beans:

Dallas

What I think:

25tunb9.jpg

We are all winners.

There are no losers here.

Love only.

Musty Manwich love :beans:

Jamz

I'm not sure why the OP ran up the stairs in the coffee shop rather than out through the open doorway at the opposite end of the hall though, that would have sorted out this particular mess

Panic..or created scenario..you decide..

Izziee

When I really REALLY needed a piss and couldn't hold it any longer ..

Pissing ..dont be a girl..use the floor. :emptycan:

• Like 2

Mother of god, zombies are easy enough to lose with out useing exploits, hell why dont we just remove the damn zombies instead if people are going to disconnect when they got a few chasing them. And they are so easy to lose, run in a building and out the back and you lose everything.

And if you are going to run into a dead end with zombies behind you knowing you don't have enough ammo to finish them off, then you deserve to be eaten alive :)

Who cares? It doesn't harm anyone.

Combat logging, brightness manipulation, scripting, using scripted weapons all can directly harm other player's experience, but in this situation the only person losing out on anything is the zombie logger themselves. They are missing out on a potentially intense experience that makes DayZ great.

I think a lot of people just like complaining for complaining's sake.

Theoretically, say you got cornered by a mob of zombies(the proper term for a herd of zombies is an "orgy", but whatever), which would have killed you if you didnt relog, and then you shoot someone. Therefore, you avoided death to then deal it out. Glaringly similar to Alt+f4 :D

Zombie Orgy...where have you been all my life Quaby ? We need you on au46.