-Guardian-

"Zombie Logging" What's your take?

Growls, screams, and the sound of a mob all behind me as I am running through town. No one anywhere close except for the undead hot on my tail. As I lose some around the wall, I gain others close by. Armed with only my M9 and 7 rounds, I make a split second decision to take refuge inside of a coffee shop. Running up the stairs, I hear over a dozen coming in after me. Knowing i wouldnt be able to take them all on, I quickly log out and join back in. As I am re-entering into this virtual hell I realise the coffee shop is completely empty. Logging out had made them disappear, leaving me alone and able to continue on my journey.

What is your take on "Zombie Logging" and does it rank up there with Combat Logging? Im interested in peoples opinion on this certain 'strategy' so to speak on losing the undead.

Well it completely defeats the purpose of a Zombie Survival game, making you seem weak and hopeless. If you are being chased, you need quick-thinking and try not to get cornered. If you are low on ammo or don't have a weapon, your best option is to try and escape.

I can leave this as a simple exploit, just try not to do it anymore...

T'is not as bad as combat logging. Zombies aren't going to come onto here and complain, are they?

But nevertheless, one shouldn't do so.

• Like 1

I agree so far. It does defeat the purpose of the Zombie aspect of the game if you can just do this in tight situations. Those tight situations are what make this game worth playing.

Some people on TS3 were arguing about it earlier so I figured i'd take it to the forums.

Hopefully this will be addressed the same way the combat logging has been (i.e. you can't log out within, say 60 seconds, of agroing zombies). Still doesn't fix the problem entirely but it's better then nothing.

I don't think there are different levels of cheating/exploiting. Cheating is still cheating, even if the game mechanics "allow" it!

• Like 2

Who cares? It doesn't harm anyone.

Combat logging, brightness manipulation, scripting, using scripted weapons all can directly harm other player's experience, but in this situation the only person losing out on anything is the zombie logger themselves. They are missing out on a potentially intense experience that makes DayZ great.

I think a lot of people just like complaining for complaining's sake.

IMO it's not really an exploit, or at least a vanishingly minor one. You're not denying any other player of a benefit, you're inconveniencing yourself more than anything -- I'm relatively new and have found a couple of tricks to lose aggroed Z's (run into a bush and wait they'll reset and wander off*, or sprint out of sight around a corner and immediately switch to jog and get around the next corner or obstruction). I find I can lose a zombie crowd in a few seconds if I'm careful.

*Is THAT an exploit?

Does this game really have a point, besides the one you create for yourself? Also, I don't think you can draw conclusions on an individual's character purely on how they play a game.

It is an exploit and a bitch move, you are only cheating yourself out of the game. If you resort to tactics like this you are just lessening the game. Do this on my server and I will ban you

It is an exploit and a bitch move, you are only cheating yourself out of the game. If you resort to tactics like this you are just lessening the game. Do this on my server and I will ban you

Im curious, How would you know that someone was doing this? Would you be able to gain inconclusive evidence that he logged specifically for this purpose on the logs?

imo it would be the same as Combat Logging. Take them on, run away or die like a man

The thing is Zeds do not just gang up on a player before hand. If your running through the streets of a town in the middle of daylight, then your visibility is super high and your attracting them to you. So of course their going to chase you and try to slap you to death, its just their nature. I think if people are using the logging option just to get into a building safe and sound, might as well just remove the zombies from the game. Someone already said it - "Defeats the purpose" of even having them in the game. IMO.

• Like 2

Im curious, How would you know that someone was doing this? Would you be able to gain inconclusive evidence that he logged specifically for this purpose on the logs?

Seeing people do it. Several times I've seen people run up to helicopter crashes and logout to despawn the zombies. Bliss hive also has the spectator tool

Seeing people do it. Several times I've seen people run up to helicopter crashes and logout to despawn the zombies. Bliss hive also has the spectator tool

Ah I see, gotcha. how often do you think you'd see it? i have a feeling more people do this than we think.

Hello there

It's an exploit, pure and simple.

Rdgs

LoK

UPDATE: more folk will do it now this post is here. I didn't know before.

Edited by orlok

Learning how to handle the zombies is one thing, but this is cheating. I don't know why half of the players bother to play DayZ when they want to cheat other players and themselves.

Hello there

It's an exploit, pure and simple.

Rdgs

LoK

UPDATE: more folk will do it now this post is here. I didn't know before.

If people do then that's their decision. It isn't at the fault of the OP.

Who cares? It doesn't harm anyone.

Combat logging, brightness manipulation, scripting, using scripted weapons all can directly harm other player's experience, but in this situation the only person losing out on anything is the zombie logger themselves. They are missing out on a potentially intense experience that makes DayZ great.

I think a lot of people just like complaining for complaining's sake.

You're wrong. It CAN effect other players and make the game less fun for them. For example if someone is stalking you (really fun to do :D ) and they see you get chased into a building by Zeds and they follow in after you to kill you (Not something i would do myself, but thats not the point) and you've lame logged, thats an exploit that makes the game less fun for other people.

Ah I see, gotcha. how often do you think you'd see it? i have a feeling more people do this than we think.

I've caught 5-6 people doing it and have dealt with it appropriately. It's more about making an example of others than anything else

How about not being able to log out while you have aggro?

And for those who are pissed off with it......does running into a bush or round a corner count as an exploit?

How about not being able to log out while you have aggro?

And for those who are pissed off with it......does running into a bush or round a corner count as an exploit?

What? Losing agro is completely different to disconnecting. It's a bitch move, if you're willing to defeat the purpose of the game then why play? It is exactly the same as disconnecting when being fired on.

You're wrong. It CAN effect other players and make the game less fun for them. For example if someone is stalking you (really fun to do :D ) and they see you get chased into a building by Zeds and they follow in after you to kill you (Not something i would do myself, but thats not the point) and you've lame logged, thats an exploit that makes the game less fun for other people.

Someone could always be stalking you. Is it wrong if I log out for the night in a building while someone (whom I was unaware of) was preparing to kill me? These two situations have the same result; another player loses out on a kill/fun, so they must both be equally bad.

The most interesting thing, I think, is where does the community draw the line on exploiting flawed mechanics? Zombies walking in buildings is not an intended game feature, and it makes it far easier to either ditch zombies or take them out one by one. I don't see anyone complain about players doing this. Is this wrong?