bad_mojo (DayZ)

Would you quit if servers went expert?

I think there should always be a choice, forced first person or forced third person only servers would be unfair for the people who want the opposite, there is a good amount who like both, i wish there would just be a normal and hardcore server setup (similar to warz) so we can all be happy.

I would hate this idea if it meant the only way I could get the hardcore options is if I was stuck in 1st person. I want all the hardcore features, I just want third person as well. First person gives me that claustrophobic feeling.

• Like 1

I only play on Expert servers, unless there are none available. So, quitting because of all servers being expert would be the farthest thing from my mind.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm actually amazed at how few people said they would stop playing.

@Dreygar, I'm not looking to get into the whole first versus third person debate, I've stated my opinion, you understood it. I just wanted to mention that you can change your field of view in first person view. If you double tap the - (minus symbol) on the number pad it'll zoom out and give you a wider field of view. Also, mZLY posted this tutorial about changing your default FOV setting, http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/31609-ultimate-fov-field-of-view-guide-for-arma-2-and-dayz-from-dayzpvpcom/

I also just wanted to add that I have this opinion about third person view, but I don't ever participate in PVP. I'm a devoted hero who almost never fires a weapon at the uninfected. So, please don't dismiss my opinion as "PVP focused". I understand that tasks are more fun/comfortable/etc in third person view, that doesn't mean third person should stay. But, again, that's just my opinion on the subject.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm actually amazed at how few people said they would stop playing.

@Dreygar, I'm not looking to get into the whole first versus third person debate, I've stated my opinion, you understood it. I just wanted to mention that you can change your field of view in first person view. If you double tap the - (minus symbol) on the number pad it'll zoom out and give you a wider field of view. Also, mZLY posted this tutorial about changing your default FOV setting, http://dayzmod.com/f...rom-dayzpvpcom/

I also just wanted to add that I have this opinion about third person view, but I don't ever participate in PVP. I'm a devoted hero who almost never fires a weapon at the uninfected. So, please don't dismiss my opinion as "PVP focused". I understand that tasks are more fun/comfortable/etc in third person view, that doesn't mean third person should stay. But, again, that's just my opinion on the subject.

Just out of curiosity, how would you feel if the game was third person only. Would you quit?

Nope. I would make an emotional post about it here on the forums and then go play some more.

See, my issue here isn't first vs third person views.(despite my many opinions on the subject) My issue is that we have all these settings that can be changed by server admins. Why are we letting the server admins dictate the difficulty of DayZ? I believe for the good of DayZ, Rocket needs to hammer out some specific settings, and enforce them. Otherwise it's like battlefield or call of duty, depending on the game settings, the experience is massively different.

To be honest, I'd rather have the recruit settings standardized across all the servers than to have them all over the place. Those settings might not be what I would like, but server consistency matters more in my opinion.

I personally enjoy the playing in "expert", but in all honest I've been spoiled by how easy it's to play "veteran".

* Every-time I get on the expert server I keep hitting the 3rd person to key to get the better camera view, to only realize I can't use it.

Dayz being symbolized by 3rd person...That is up for discussion to be honest.

* The advantage of 3rd person heavily outweighs the advantages of playing in 1st person.

- The ability to stand behind cover and check around walls/cover is a cheap tactic, but in order to survive you need to do it, because others will do it as-well.

- The FOV for 3rd person also gives a advantage in spotting enemies in a un-realistic way, of which warrants its own advantages to exploit.

What would happen if these advantages where taken away, the game would feel allot more realistic?

But in all honesty, there should not be only "1 option" in how to play the game.

* It should be the players choice to decide whether or not he wants to play on a 3rd person server or 1st person server.

Some players are new to the game and would like some "un-realistic advantages", let them play their way.

* If you want to challenge your-self then just choose a 1st person server.

I personally enjoy the playing in "expert", but in all honest I've been spoiled by how easy it's to play "veteran".

* Every-time I get on the expert server I keep hitting the 3rd person to key to get the better camera view, to only realize I can't use it.

Dayz being symbolized by 3rd person...That is up for discussion to be honest.

* The advantage of 3rd person heavily outweighs the advantages of playing in 1st person.

- The ability to stand behind cover and check around walls/cover is a cheap tactic, but in order to survive you need to do it, because others will do it as-well.

- The FOV for 3rd person also gives a advantage in spotting enemies in a un-realistic way, of which warrants its own advantages to exploit.

What would happen if these advantages where taken away, the game would feel allot more realistic?

But in all honesty, there should not be only "1 option" in how to play the game.

* It should be the players choice to decide whether or not he wants to play on a 3rd person server or 1st person server.

Some players are new to the game and would like some "un-realistic advantages", let them play their way.

* If you want to challenge your-self then just choose a 1st person server.

I understand and agree mostly. But, the whole "let new players have unrealistic advantages" comment bothers me. First, because DayZ is supposed to be ruthlessly difficult to learn, let alone master. And second, if you give new players that crutch, they'll never learn to walk on their own.

Going by the server populations 99% of the dayz community doesn't want a challenge or thinks they need unrealistic advantages. I think something needs to be done. It's almost like Rocket was being nice and giving people options, but then we all took advantage of his kindness and milked those options for every advantage possible.

Edit:

"People play on servers with XXXXX enabled because it makes dayz easier" why is that something we as a community are so accepting of?

Edited by bad_mojo

What are we considering expert? As i'm only aware of Recruit, Regular, Veteran, and Mercenary? The server that my clan currently runs is a Mercenary difficulty server with everything turned off... you are right about the low population. We are lucky to have 10 or more players on and we have 40 slots. Its our personal preference to play the game like this as we feel its more of a challenge and gives a more "immersive" feel to it... The harder, the better- for us at least.

we've had a number of people come to our server and express that they LOVE the settings and have been looking for a server like ours, but then they usually die a few times and I fail to see them return. We got a few devoted followers on our server, but certainly not even close to half as many as our server had when we turned on 3rd person... Soon as you turn on 3rd person it seems like a horde of people come flocking in (which usually resulted in more instances of cheaters and hackers as well...)

So ultimately, I prefer it this way for a variety of reasons... Our server is quiet, but quality people are in it. Haven't had a hacker instance in a long while.. and when it happens, its very seldom and its handled right away... Seems most scripters and hackers prefer 3rd person (and highly populated) server to try their hacks out on... not my little island in the middle of nowhere that has all the hardcore settings on and too hard for them... (most hackers seem to be self absorbed and can't stand not being able to see themselves in the game... its its just too hard for them to fly that hacked in heli without third person, I guess.)

TL:DR

I would love it if all servers were "expert" (and by expert I mean everything turned off).

I've come to the conclusion; I only use 3dp when manoeuvring because I've gotten used to it.

I switch to 1st person immediately if I think there's another player nearby, because it makes sense to me. (how anybody can fight in 3dp is beyond me),

For me personally, there isn't the lack of immersion Hetstaine mentioned, but "astral projection" certainly doesn't make the game any more immersive.

Having just realised 3dp is the only non-expert "crutch" I'm OK with, I have to say; I'm on the fence with this one, but I want the challenge to be greater than our expectations.

I had hoped that DayZ would have clearly defined difficulty selection instead of "fully customisable server settings". Even then, it should only be a choice of "Hard" or "Remedial". IMO

In ArmA, there is a need for many variables to suit the huge customisation in terms of gameplay. In DayZ, we're all playing the same mission(sic), so we should all be facing the same challenge.

Edited by Chabowski

I agree with everything about the "expert" difficulty, with the only exception being third person. I don't think there should be waypoints, I don't think a player should open their map and get a "hey, i'm right here", I don't think a player should be able to hover over someones name and see who they are / have a magical range finger. It's just first person, the best way I can describe it, is claustrophobic when that is the only view.

If the game is going to dumbed down to two settings. "easy" and "hard" then I am somewhere in between. I don't want to play on the easy, but I don't want to be forced into a 1st person view only.

Another gripe I have is that servers edit the loadout. Players starting with hatchets, maps, compasses, etc...

Edited by Dreygar

I would love it. 3rd person is for noobs who want to pan the camera around corners - play some CS and learn how to peek.

There are those that get ill, and that sucks, dunno what can be done for them. I do know that the field of view by default is kind of crappy and that you can change this in the config files which makes it more bearable for some.

Expert + 3dp, sure, I'd play that. But, I'd rather the mod not have that option. At least not on the official hive.

In fact I'm gonna go play on an expert server for the first time in a month, I'll be running around cherno-elecktro if anyone wants to kill me and take my stuff.... or team up. I'm sure there won't be many people in the server. Maybe if we get a few people in those servers they'll grow in population. I just get so bored with no human contact.

Edit: I'll be on US 3951 they call it 'mercenary', but looks like the same as expert.

Edit2: switching to us 3279 its got 5 people!

Edited by bad_mojo

I for one would relish meeting others on a more "Hardcore" Setting, i have a feeling the game speed will slow a hell of alot as more players become more aware that without 3rd person you gotta slow it down a bit and take in your surroundings... you rush then you die.

I wouldn't be a happy camper but I'd at least try FP for a while before rage quitting and cursing the decision.

Waypoints, the magic gps map, peripheral dots, crosshairs, and nameplates all need to go. Third person should stay. All the campers hanging out on top of buildings would move indoors the second FPV only was enforced. They'd just sit in corners, in doorways, or at the top of stairs and ladders, with machines, assault rifles, or shotguns rather than camping on rooftops with sniper rifles. That'll make the game harder for people needing supplies but it'll make the game easier for anyone wanting to kill random people. I'd wager there would be even more campers in buildings since the kills would come so easily.

The paranoia of not knowing whether or not a guy is watching you from his safe position is part of the game, to me at least. It adds much more tension to a town than anything else as there is no real safe place to hide. Third person makes the world more threatening. FP would make entering buildings more dangerous while making most areas completely safe.

We need first person only servers and third person only servers (still FP when aiming down the sights).

• Like 1

Multiple times tonight I tried playing in FPV only servers, and it is just not for me. I like it when I aim down the sights or am looking closely at things, but that is it...

I would welcome it

looking around corners or lying on the roof and watching the whole town below from 3rd person is lame, same as the argument that you can do it just like others can

I actually saw someone on that 5 person server, I think they shot at me, or at the zombie chasing me. They had a vehicle and stuff. It was my first time playing at night in far too long, it was fun and refreshing.

I left a fully stocked tent near the military tents in cherno. US3279 - AK & AKM plus ammo, most tools, camo clothes & two military flashlights. It's semi-hidden, beside a building, in a walled compound. Chemlights around it, but not for much longer.

Edited by bad_mojo

Whenever the topic of first person comes up, people always throw out the "well just go play on a first person only server! ugh your so dumb" and think the discussion is settled. Well guess what? First person only servers are very few and very unpopulated.

I think you probably answered your own question.

I can do without all the difficulty aids, except for 3rd perspective.

If 3rd was removed, I'd still buy the standalone, but I'd probably end up playing it less and less. I'd be interested to see if you could combine the combat timer with a forced 3rd person mode, since I always go to sights when I shoot. But being able to look at my butt, spamming my reload key, while I cross great distances is unnegotiable.

When it comes down to it, I fully support BIS's design philosophy, where difficulty settings are enforced by the server and not by them.

Edited by Dallas
  • Like 1

Would I quit? No, I would fap.

sure, why not? :)

Fix the head bob for those that suffer motion sickness and why not make them all expert (not really fussed about the death messages actually) - then it's just like every other ummm what are they called now....damn it .... FSP? PSF? ohh! First Person Shooter

Fuck me is this a new genre we're talking about here? I'm soooo excited!

You can disable head bob in settings, lol. I feel like I'm a floating camera with it disabled completely though so I leave a tiny bit.

I don't think we need magical periscopes in DayZ. Hardcore servers are almost completely unpopulated, which is sad.

Edited by Baka Survivor