Judemoukari

Do you trust Rocket's vision?

Realistic=better game in my opinion.

So I assume that once you die you will never play the game again? Cause nothing is more unrealistic than respawning after you are killed.

Also, I assume that you don't use team speak and that you never log out, choosing instead to let your character idle somewhere for 8 hours to simulate sleep.

Oh wait, yes you do and yes you will, because it is a GAME. There is no realism, just features, and these features make the game either more or less enjoyable to play.

The price. I'm not buying it again for $25.

Really? Such a cheap price for something so good.

The only think I hope he doesn't do is rush the standalone.

I want hit to take his time, even if it is released in march - april. I can count thousands of games that could have been so much better if they took a little more time to properly polish the game.

Cool!

You did it wrong. Repeat after me:

Carebear, carebear, carebear, carebear, carebear, carebear, carebear, carebear, carebear.

Now you are e-hung!

Rocket is definitely on the right trajectory.

areyouseeingwhatihavedonethere?

I just hope the morons out there don't dissuade him from his intended target because every fragment that I have seen of the standalone looks both intercontinental and ballistic.

only you don't know. you should think about why you can't understand. i'm not calling you stupid, you did yourself with that post.

So you prefer fun to realism. I am confident in saying that nearly all of us prefer fun to any game concept. Unless the idea of gaming itself has changed over the years. Yes i am ignorant as to what you consider to be fun. I am guessing, in ignorance, that you prefer more of an MMO style of game. I don't see DayZ as going that route. The "other" Z might suit you better.

So I assume that once you die you will never play the game again? Cause nothing is more unrealistic than respawning after you are killed.

Also, I assume that you don't use team speak and that you never log out, choosing instead to let your character idle somewhere for 8 hours to simulate sleep.

Oh wait, yes you do and yes you will, because it is a GAME. There is no realism, just features, and these features make the game either more or less enjoyable to play.

Okay so your a literal person so I'll make it simple. Realistic in what I meant means you have to eat, drink, and not just kill everything in sight. This game takes a learning curve and even then it continues to evolve much like life. I understand it's a game I didn't say that I prefer it to be real life just that the more realistic a game like this is the more you immerse yourself into it. Realistic is what a simulator aims for which is what ARMA II is a simulator, DayZ is built as a mod to a simulator.

Edited by Leadon77

Lets not discount the fact that BI has already made tons of money on an old game because of the popularity of Rocket's vision.

I also disagree with fun > realism. For me the realism is the fun. Its what makes the game unique.

Personally it sounds like youd much prefer to play a more casual arcade style game. Lucky for you there is another option.

BI has made a nice haul from a mod. They see that there is a market for this type of game. Hopefully they understand that market is not mainstream don't try to push the standalone into the mainstream which is where the competition seems to be leaning. I look forward to seeing how far this project can go on Rockets vision. Long term or short, i will enjoy the ride while it lasts.

Honestly? No... Love Rocket for making this new Genre in the gaming Industry...

But the DayZ Standalone should be taken away from him and let some1 else do the development.

Out of interest who would you prefer at the helm ?

If you compare his "tunnel vision" to one of the greatest inventor in history... then compare it to the Holy Bible... You have problems man, really big problems.

Well comparing a game with a (imo) fictionally written piece of material is possibly a good call. They are both forms of entertainment that have provided much anger and happiness as well as rewarded us with stories and even movies. Of course one of them has had a lot of time to become much more well established ;)

I like Rockets attitude and his no bullshit approach. Like he has said more than enough times, if he drives it into the ground it will be his fault and nobody else's. I can fucking respect that. Everyone has their own idea of a game , not many get up and do it but plenty whine and cheese about games yet still shell out when the next overhyped pos comes along.

• Like 4

Wow this thread is full of shit!

Op to answer your question, I think although it may not be perfect (in my mind, then again no game ever will be) it will be worth playing.

As long as it is open ended.

A true sandbox.

Harsh!

I will be happy.

Now back to the shit storming.

Okay people Rocket has stated "realistic" was a poor choice of words. He has since refined it to "believable" & "authentic". If you don't like what he has created here go elsewhere. We won't think any less of you... I promise!

No game will ever be perfect, even if you designed your dream game. Something's are not possible to achieve, perfection in one of them.

DayZ is a game designed to be different, it did that well. I for one am grateful to have the opportunity to play something deliberately made not to be for the masses. I am glad both BIS & Rocket don't seem to be for the status quo, but for the niche. We (those who enjoy DayZ) have found a game for us. Yes we all can find something that disappoints us, but as a whole we are not. If you are, then go!

• Like 3

Wow this thread is full of shit!

You dont say :D i just chucked some brown coloured icing on top. Dont eat it though.

• Like 1

You dont say :D i just chucked some brown coloured icing on top. Dont eat it though.

Ah what the fudge! I thought it tasted like crap... But the corn and peanuts added some class!

(edit) so glad you are back Het! ;)

Edited by Pendragon

BI has always catered to niches; I think it's pretty safe to say that it won't be swayed by the prospect of a bigger audience.

Okay so your a literal person so I'll make it simple for you. Realistic in what I meant means you have to eat, drink, and not just kill everything in sight. This game takes a learning curve and even then it continues to evolve much like life. I understand it's a game I didn't say that I prefer it to be real life just that the more realistic a game like this is the more you immerse yourself into it. Realistic is what a simulator aims for which is what ARMA II is a simulator, DayZ is built as a mod to a simulator. Can you put the pieces together now??

So basically your point is that your an asshat that had to find something to flame on...congrats your a douche!

Interesting post until you had to start calling names. (It's the internet, so I should expect it.) And I wasn't trying to flame, I was makig the point that the term realism in a video game is pretty meaningless. If you had said "immersive" I would have understood. I believe that is more what you are talkig about. "Realism" is impossible, immersion is not, and some of the features which would enhance immersion are inherently unrealistic. This is what I was wanting to point out. Anyone using the word realism to describe a videogame just doesn't get it or hasn't thought it through.

Screw realism, give us more immersion.

• Like 1

Interesting post until you had to start calling names. (It's the internet, so I should expect it.) And I wasn't trying to flame, I was makig the point that the term realism in a video game is pretty meaningless. If you had said "immersive" I would have understood. I believe that is more what you are talkig about. "Realism" is impossible, immersion is not, and some of the features which would enhance immersion are inherently unrealistic. This is what I was wanting to point out. Anyone using the word realism to describe a videogame just doesn't get it or hasn't thought it through.

I appologize. I thought you were trying to flame...I'll edit it and yes more immersion would be nice but I think making a hero deficate or any such actions would ruin the game for me. Getting sick not so much of a game breaker just another twist, many things I don't like but I do like at the same time. Animals that dont run when you shoot at them, or run up to them kinda kills it for me too...or the random roll-over on an atv also.

• Like 1

I had high hopes for the game, but at the end of the day I doubt I will be getting very serious into the standalone like I was the mod.

The ball was dropped with standalone, and I believe that there are development choices that rocket could have made that would put out a better final product.

IMO the engine choice was a bad one, choosing to abandon above ground bases was also a bad one, abandoning the mod community was a bad one.

This game was huge for a bit, and instead of capturing the audience he let them slip away. So I trust rocket to make the game the way he wants, but I don't trust that he'll make it very good.

There is no long term "staying power" for players and I think that's a mistake.

Its not always easy to understand one another using just text. I know that sounds stupid. But when I say 'realism' what I really mean is what you described. If you and I had a verbal conversation about the subject we'd be talking about the same thing and agreeing. I guess the easiest way to describe it is you say tomato I say tomato. Am I making any sense? I havent had my morning coffee yet...

I Think The Rocket knows best where Dayz should go... not the whining players who are usually wrong... Of course he will take the best ideas out there to the standalone, but not in expense of his own vision...

So many cry baby's in here.

Bring on the "anti game" cuz I've been playing the same shit since 1997.

Bout time someone like rocket creates a game that's hardcore. So all the pussys can fuck off and play with themselfs if they want some "fun"

• Like 1

I had high hopes for the game, but at the end of the day I doubt I will be getting very serious into the standalone like I was the mod.

The ball was dropped with standalone, and I believe that there are development choices that rocket could have made that would put out a better final product.

IMO the engine choice was a bad one, choosing to abandon above ground bases was also a bad one, abandoning the mod community was a bad one.

This game was huge for a bit, and instead of capturing the audience he let them slip away. So I trust rocket to make the game the way he wants, but I don't trust that he'll make it very good.

There is no long term "staying power" for players and I think that's a mistake.

You know, if there is something that i picked up from rocket about the standalone(or foundation) from his interviews and game presentations, is that nothing is determined, or put to stone, except two things. bugs and hackers.

The concept is there, DayZ i'm sure many may argue is just a great game even with no additions to it. what it needs most is a secured ground that scripters,hackers, you name it. wouldnt have such an easy time to breach. and a firm ground at which the game can evolve upon. freed of glitches and bugs.

Regarding the concept, that can be changed. surely concept material need to be tested, things might be added, curent ones reconsidered, when it comes to concept it is fairly to assume that anything is subject to change before it officially implemented into the game.

i think it's too early to even theorize on some of the stuff you mentioned as they arent even in the standalone, ie instanced bases( was mentioned several times that it might come afterwards). And about abandoning the mod community. Well frankly, in my opinion if we'll be able to have an access to a game that the amount of scripters in it is limited, it's a fair exchange.

you cant eat the pie and leave it as a whole now can you?

Edited by Josefinko

I trust rockets vision more than I trust the communities. But that's a given. Every game that developers start heavily using the community to base updates on tends to get shot to shit, and all personality and uniqueness lost in the mix. The vast majority of people will never have the appropriate mindset for a game designer, and that's okay because they don't need to be. I just hope Rocket has the sense to recognize that, although I have quite a bit of faith that he does.

TL;DR - More faith in rocket than the community

• Like 1

Rocket has had the vision and rabid dedication to bring the game to the point its at now, so I'm confident in his vision going forward.

Rocket will make a game that is true to his own vision and it will most likely meet the expectations of many DayZ fans and new comers alike. Even if half of the unique users from the Mod buy the game it will be mildly successful and you will have newcomers who were put off by the installation process of the mod in the first place.

Then you will have guys like Swine Flu who equate the human tendency to get bored over time with some fascinating decline in interest. You mean to tell me people playing the game from May might be a tad bored with the game, call the press that sounds like some ground breaking news. Also tell us more about how you want him to develop a new engine over two years, sounds like a great way to capitalize on the current success of the mod you are a shrewd businessman. Swine flu is that guy who thinks he deserves everything, how are you surprised that the free mod went on the back burner after the standalone was announced?

But this is all speculation, a game will release shortly and how good that game is will make or break the popularity. WarZ could have been popular with a scumbag lead developer (or marketing team, all I know is they constantly lie to paying customers) if they actually delivered, since they have not people are leaving and getting bored within the first month instead of trending upward like DayZ mod at the same point in its life. Rocket's personality and vision are unimportant at this point, he is the lead developer and if the game is awesome it will be successful.

• Like 1

nobody should expect the initial release to be OMG SUPER AMAZING FLA;SDFJ;ALSFJ because there will be bugs. this is unavoidable. I only say this because I know there will be a ton of people saying, "omg standalone sucks" when they have to realize IT HAS JUST BEEN RELEASED.

/pre-rage

Yeah I've been thinking this. The improvements to the map and more enterable buildings are going to be KEWL though. I think some people will be disappointed, but the majority will understand it's just the next step. If it stops the worst of the hacking that will be cool.