m.w. vindicator

DayZ Namalsk Stories Thread

Glad people liked my story, I didn't expect it to be half as well received. The only other thing I can think of worth writing about wouldn't be as interesting, but I may get around to it sometime tonight when I have more time.

I rather like how rare food and water are. I wish that scarcity extended to weapons as well, at least to automatic or powerful weapons. I'd rather see almost everyone walking around with double barrels and crossbows instead of the AKMs and up that seem commonplace on Namalsk. The scarcity of water and food is rather compelling in my opinion. I would have gladly traded my AK74 Kobra for a water canteent or a box or matches had I the chance, and I like that the map made me that desperate.

If it weren't so impossible to survive, you wouldn't have too many great stories coming out of the map. It'd all be the same old tales of KOS and alt-F4ing that we hear so much from Chernarus, instead of the occasionally engaging story tossed into the mix.

I do agree, to an extent. I too wish the necessities were much more rare. But lets not forget that there has to be a line between a harsh existence and keeping a server full. When players are literally dying from starvation after only a few hours of game play, it's going to start thinning out server fairly quickly.

Hey Rocket, I know your busy and all but you should try Namalsk. It is proof that a lot of ideas that have popped up frequently on the forums work. (clothing warmth and rarity etc)

Just got warm clothing and managed to survive an incredibly brutal Namalsk night with a comrade from the other day.

I agree that survivability should be reasonably attainable, yet I still think it should be quite the challenge and constitute the number one threat to a survivor. Maybe I'm just lucky, but today a third instance occured in which I managed to team up with another player for our mutual survival, since backpacks are rare, their carrying space becomes far more valuable than their loot, at the very least.

I'll admit most of the DayZ playerbase would shy away from such brutal conditions as I'd like to see, but I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing. Anyone who's played since May knows how quickly the community went to shit as more people started playing, and in my personal experience it's the ones that are willing to stick with it no matter what gets thrown at them that are less likely to be assholes.

I like that I run the risk of starving to death every hour and losing what little progress I've made. It makes the game challenging and suspensful, and I'm certainly not alone in that belief, otherwise there wouldn't be so many individuals clamoring for similar things. I'd like DayZ to return to what it originally was, and while that will never truly happen, changes like the ones Namalsk makes seem to push it ever so slightly in the right direction. I've only been shot at on sight three times in the past two days, compared to every time I see someone in Chernarus. Many of these individuals I meet are in as bad a place as I am, and would gladly have someone with them to drag their body along when they pass out or to help them carry a load of food and supplies.

Sorry for getting off topic here, I'm just really passionate about increasing the difficulty drastically, even if it means most of the player base avoids the more difficult maps/versions. This game originally was full of both coop and banditry, now it's almost exclusively KOS and braggartry. It's far past time we changed that, as countless others have said.

• Like 2

The lack of food and drinks are awesome! It makes you take risks and assess the situation very very seriously. Anyway, On to the story!

The first time i played Namalsk was really unforgettable, i never thought of having those kinds of feelings when playing a game. When i first played Namalsk it was night-time, it was scary and atmosphere is fucking creepy especially with a flashlight. I look around to figure out where i am. As i walk towards the woods i saw streaks of light like someone is sprinting with a flash light, as a bandit i tend to avoid players until i have a weapon at hand but i was so glad that i found another human-being that i flashed my torch on his direction. He yelled "Hello!" i replied the same. We don't know where we are or where we are going but i saw a dirt road when i was looking around so i suggested that we should follow it. I was so immersed in the game that he said that i sounded frightened when we found a building with tons of zombies. The two of us looted the place carefully and i found a double barrel and a hatchet and he found a CZ, then my bandit senses started to kick up. Thinking "I would rather have that gun than this weak sauce gun, I'll just wait for the right timing." but when opportunity rises something in me refuses to pull the trigger. We continued our journey finding weapons and junk but no signs of water or food. I was complaining how come there's no water or food in the map as we've searched like 4 places already. Then we saw Vorkuta, The massive buildings gave us the sense of relief but will be soon be crushed by one swift bone-breaking strike from a zombie as we approach the city. It felt like a stupid mistake shooting the zombie with a M16. I have been careful, Dispatching zombies by dropping my primary and hacking them with an hatchet silently, but not this time. This time i panicked. We watched as a ton of zombies sprinting towards our direction, We engaged, but there's no end to them. We killed alot but alas we fell.

• Like 1

Alright I had 3 lives on namalsk and all 3 were amazing (happend on 30 min day, 30 min night with 30 players)

Life #1)

First time on namalsk I spawn on the west side of Tara bridge. I see on side chat of man friendly who was on the east side of tara bridge. after some words we decided to meet up in the center of the bridge. My mysterious partner told me there was 3 dead bodies on his side of the bridge and he was looting them. I became nervous of a possible ambush and decided to check it out anyway. He was not lieing, laying down on the entrance of east side of the bridge was 3 dead soldiers and the friendly looting there bodies.

We quickly exchanged greetings and decided to get to business we shared some food and water found on the bodies and were able to gather a good amount of weapons and medical supplies. We decided to loot the old sawmill but it was pretty empty. We then hid in the sawmill contemplating what should be our next move. We decided vorkuta was best but miles away. We were on our way back towards the bridge to cross it when a gunshot erupted from behind me. My first thought was that he betrayed me but I soon realized a third man was watching over us and decided to make the move. My leg was injured and I watched as my fellow friend was turned into Swiss cheese by the bandit. We were both killed and the 3 dead bodies, turned into 5.

Life #2

I respawned and decided to meet up with the same guy. He re-spawned not to far from Tara bridge and i was all the way at Sebjan dam. We decided to meet at the military base in between us. I was lucky once again, during my journey to the base I stumbled upon a dead player offering me enough food to last days ( we all know how hard food is to find on namalsk) a third guy decided to meet with us there and he was near my original friendly. They met up and got to the military base far before me. The new guy clumsily fell off the tower at the base and was killed leaving the other guy alone. Once I got there it was already dark, and I was still unarmed. I walked closely towards the base and noticed 3 guys there, one was my friend who was hiding in the tower but there was 2 more who didn't seem to see each other. I walked to dead guy that fell of the tower and picked up his ak, as I turned a man came running by not even 3 feet infront of me, the gun of his barrel facing me he pulled the trigger, a mileseconde later my rifle answered and dark camp was lit up for a few seconds as we both emptied our weapons into each other.

We both died, but in the confusion everyone else in the camp got scared and began firing at each other, the aftermath of our deaths led to 2 others. The military base turned into a grave site of more then 5 bodies. The guy that shot me apologized saying i frightened him, and I didn't blame him, it was on impact he never meant to fire.

Life#3

I got word of friendly all the way at old hospital, while i was bresik Bridge. I decided to meet up anyway and began my long travel to old hospital. The man their told me he was another friend and that they were looting the hospital. As I was crossing tara bridge 2 guys were approaching my direction, both were armed. They said hello and left on their way with out killing me. After a long journey I arrived at the hospital freezing, hungry and thirsty. I was on the outskirts when i heard yelling and gunshots so I approached with care. The man I spoke to told me he was in the market and that he lost his friend to some zeds so it was only me and him in town. A third guy appeared across the street and a lengthily firefight occurred between the friendly and the unknown man. In the mean time I searched for food and water and some heatpacks to keep warm. I started coughing bad realized I was very sick. The battle ended the friendly was victorious. We quickly got a fire started and sat down to warm up. We exchanged some words and spoke a bit around the warm fire. All of a sudden a helicopter flew over and we quickly waved him down for him to pick us up.

He landed by the camp fire and we loaded in and spoke to our pilot, He was very well equipped, night-vision and everything. He was heading to vorkuta and we thanked him for the lift. He dropped us on the roof and left. A few minutes later the sidechat lit up with a may-day call from the pilot, the heli crashed not even 3 minutes after dropping us off.

And thats where I left off

Hope you enjoy

My clan currently runs a server that is using Namalsk in conjunction with mercenary difficulty settings (everything off, basically... No waypoints... no third person, etc...) so the immersion is even greater on this map when you combine the difficulty of the spawn rates and the first person only and everything... awesome!... (and this is no ad, but anyone who is looking for a mercenary level server that is running Namalsk, search for us! Clanbbf.com Private Hive)

Anyway, on to the story of my first experience so far...

I log in after the server comes up for the map change... im alone... all im greeted with is clouds, dull colors, and the sound of what im assuming is a woodpecker... but ultimately makes me think predator is hunting me through this forest.... Then I hear the cries... sounds like children... a kid calling out for "Help!".... I think ... well while it may not be immersive to some people to hear that all the time... I view it as my psychological aspects going to hell after trying to survive a zombie apocalypse for this long.... Maybe im hearing things that aren't really there.... all the people i've seen and watched die... all the people I, myself, have shot down for nothing but their petty supplies... It suits the setting... Im a maniac in a jacked up world... I've lost the ability to live as a normal person anymore, so here I am.... All I have is a ax after looting this barn and im still alone.....

I wasn't alone for long, however... as a clan mate eventually met up with me in the same town and we began looting.... food was scarce, as I had heard.... but I did find my trusted Lee Enfield... I said "hell with this sneaking around" and opened up on zombies... I had 40 rounds for this enfield and I planned to get the count up... I rang that dinner bell... and in they came... we fought them off for a good 5 minutes before carrying on through the forest, hoping to lose the ones we had no ammo for in the dust....

Not very smart for survival, but I didn't plan on living long anyhow....

We roamed for quite some time... but eventually got separated.... and I actually remember feeling a bit uneasy.... I entered Vorkuta (i didn't know at the time) and was thrown into this feeling of being in Chernobyl ... eerie looking apartment complexes that looked abandoned for centuries.... creepy little children's playgrounds and sandboxes.... I kinda shuddered a bit as the children laughing came back to test the boundaries of my waning sanity... I kept running.... Screw this place, I thought... I'm getting food and im getting out.... then I heard my buddy died.... infected trapped him and devoured him... More reason to keep moving... Not a friendly place....

I follow a road (via the trees) out of town to find a URAL parked... Thinking I could just hop in it and get the hell out of there, I run up and try to open the driver door.... no option.... "What the hell?" not even a "get in back".... I look up at the window and I see someones head staring forward....

"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I instantly get that pumpin goin and raise my rifle up- popping the driver in the head... I loot the body to find he has a SAW and medical supplies and plenty of food and drink to last me a while... I hop in the vacant URAL and see that its orange, but drivable... So I take it for a spin... its low on gas and my objective is to get out of Vorkuta and reunite with my friend... I end up driving to a dam looking for a fuel pump of some kind, only to have the URAL run out of gas right next to the tank... No jerry can... Friend says he has one and is on his way to find me... I take shelter in the nearby industrial and look for a can of my own.... nothing....

I see the giant tower next door and decide to get up there for a better view and catch a zombie aggro trail heading toward the dam... sure enough, another survivor carrying a FAL is approaching... I'm unsure if he sees me or not so i hunker down and watch.... He ditches the zombies through a building and tries to make his way up the chute of the industrial.... Not wanting to lose the URAL I just parked and the chance to get it running again... or being shot by that FAL, I unload a burst of my newly acquired SAW... the guy drops unconscious.. I line up a headshot and squeeze the trigger, putting him out of his misery....

I eventually meet up with my friend... and 2 other clan mates later on... but we decide to stash the truck and go on foot.... our mistake was going up to the mountains where 2 out of the 4 of us developed colds (even after applying 3 heatpacks in a row after shivering each time after).... We decided to head to the hospital... which resulted in nothing that could save us.... we eventually got back to our "camp" and decided the infected... myself, and the other.... would put ourselves out of misery to avoid spreading our disease to the rest.... We counted to 3 and pulled the trigger, ending ourselves.

So ultimately I ran 20+ km .... best gun I got was a SAW... got infected... and put myself out of my misery.

Side question: Does anyone know if the death messages can be turned off on Namalsk?.... our server settings have them off, but it still shows when someone is killed by another player, and what they were killed with. While it can help us in some way to see if anyone is hacking, it kinda ruins the immersion when you are able to see who was killed and by what all the time.

I have bad luck against opponents armed with hatchets. I was looting the supermarket in the main city (Volkata?) and some jack-off turned the cornet and hit me with his hatchet. I jumped and couldn't get out of the inventory screen quick enough to save my self.

Short story from last evening. Me and my comrade decide to check the object A 2, approaching it from the road that goes between the two hills going from cover to cover. From a distance we notice zombies lurking in the woods infront of the site so we stopped and started to recon the area with my dmr and binoculars. In a short time both of us start to get cold so we have to start moving. From bush to bush I lurk from the right hillside and then we start to hear g17 shots from the site and an explosion. As I reach the wall on the hillside I prone to cover with bushwookie checking the area as my mate starts to recon the site from the barracks and heads to the tall industry building and he sees an lonely uaz at the mine entrance. I confirm this with my dmr and it is in mint condition. From nowhere I hear footsteps and guy runs right pass me not even noticing the wild bushwookie on the ground. He runs up the hill and I crack my dmr on him ruthlesly and clear out the zombies I annoyed with pdw. I return to my recon spot and check the area, informing my mate it is clear and he goes for the tunnelentrance

He enters in and like a deer stares at headlights he stares a guy with the warmclothes pointing rifle at him. From a reflex he goes full auto on him with his m4 and the guy retaliates but not hitting my friend at all. All bullets land on the uaz instead destroying it completly and then we decided to run off the site. And that was it :D

emission was coming and we were in a bay under a bridge. Heading north we managed to find an underground bunker at a small outpost. As we made our way down started hearing not zombies and not people. The 3 others I was with were all 1st time on namalsk so was I but I remember stalker. Sure enough a drinker lurched out at one friend and he opened up with g36c. We were in a nest it turns out. Or failing that we got really unlucky with how many happened to be around. After killing 3rd drinker I told them to hide as there were too many and they couldn't leave untill evr hit and ended. I headed back to the ladder firing periodically then began climbing out. Knowing the evr should be seconds away or should have been already this was a suicide run from the start. At the lip of the ladder I left map compass water food everything except my rifle and 2 mags. I walked out in to the cool namalsk morning and fired again. Did not take long before suckers started coming out of the hole. Shot while I could ran when I couldn't. Emission knocked me out 700m from the outpost roughly. I had 6 drinkers plus a bunch of z on my tail at the time. The other 3 made it through emission and had no more enounters in their time at the outpost and now understood the new dangers. An old stalker died right.

Die and be forgotten, leave nothing behind but brass