rocket

You want some more progress screenshots of DayZ Standalone?

Honestly I'm very disapointed. I haven't been following the standalone news for a while now, but I was expecting some improvement from the mod. This looks and feels exactly the same as the mod. Maybe i was expecting too much

>Feels

>Haven't even played it

>Get over yourself

Chernarus Plus is starting to look pretty interesting. Please make sure they do something with the blotchy middle distance textures, at least as much as the Landtex mod...

Landtex---BeforeAfter.jpg

• Like 5

Honestly I'm very disapointed. I haven't been following the standalone news for a while now, but I was expecting some improvement from the mod. This looks and feels exactly the same as the mod. Maybe i was expecting too much

Yup, you're not the first.

I'm too used to how DayZ looks that I don't mind those screenshots, more icing on the cake!

• Like 2

Not sure what's exciting about these pics.. it looks exactly like the current mod (gfx wise). On the other side i'm hoping to test the stand alone version soon, whenever i believe that graphically it wouldn't be different than the current mod.. (i don't care .. i'm interested to the gameplay).

The main difference here is that these buildings are now enterable. The aim is to have 90% of them enterable. That will change gameplay quite significantly in built up areas.

I seem to notice that the first screenshot looks like a town that was under Soviet protection, probably used as an area for soldiers and whatnot. I seem to be concluding that because of how in the left area, you see a gate.

I do hope, however, that there are some new model houses and furniture. It gets kind of old just seeing it moved around.

Also, they can't use the landtex mod because of how the landscape is going to be different, that is unless he creates some sort of modding tools.

Edited by Gesundheit

Awesome man, but now you do that for every interior in the game, and the game will be unplayable on any computer. It's an open world, the machine won't only render this corridor, it has to render all the terrain and surroundings buildings, even with a very smart use of LOD I just can't see these graphical details without a huge drop in performance. (Nevertheless I still hope rocket team is going for something like that, but I doubt it will occur in the first phases of alpha. First gameplay, then cool-looking content)

Just so you know, games (especially open world) never render the environment till you get close. It's the little tricks and illusions all games play, just so it looks like you're rendering the world at once, but it's actually rendering as you go. Not to mention, things such as chairs, tables, etc. are all static meshes, so they generally don't hinder performance, if any. The only reason why the current map lag so much is because of the zombie parts (like rocket has wxplained before), trees (as they are not static, they can be toppled over), and buildings (they can be bombed to destruction).

Things such as rubble and trash, if made as static meshes, won't hinder performance very much at all

• Like 5

Chernarus Plus is starting to look pretty interesting. Please make sure they do something with the blotchy middle distance textures, at least as much as the Landtex mod...

http://i348.photobuc...BeforeAfter.jpg

Actually, in the same vein, I've always thought the grass in Chernarus was unnecessarily long and I think there's a good case both in terms of functionality (not having vision unduly obscured when prone) and performance (simplified clutter models) to use a shorter average length similar to that in some of the available grass mods...

3-gdtmod_grass_arma2.jpg

Man the editor in this forum software is annoying, the link is supposed to be an in-line image (it is in the editor).

Edited by defunkt

Just so you know, games (especially open world) never render the environment till you get close. It's the little tricks and illusions all games play, just so it looks like you're rendering the world at once, but it's actually rendering as you go. Not to mention, things such as chairs, tables, etc. are all static meshes, so they generally don't hinder performance, if any. The only reason why the current map lag so much is because of the zombie parts (like rocket has wxplained before), trees (as they are not static, they can be toppled over), and buildings (they can be bombed to destruction).

Things such as rubble and trash, if made as static meshes, won't hinder performance very much at all

Actually the main issue with the mod was, that it was a mod. So on top of everything that ARMA II had to run, the mod was taking part of the FPS. Rocket explained that in many interviews. So if they don't change anything in the standalone, just port everything over to the Take on helicopters engine, the game will run a lot smoother than the mod ever did.

Thats why they can make more buildings enterable, make them look better etc. Because they are not tied to how much a mod can do, they can hardcode everything inside the engine and the game will run smoothly with no glitches and shit.

So whatever they do its gonna be better than the mod, I have no worries there.

The Dev Tumblr that got the pics will have more updates in the coming weeks, with new vehicles and other stuff they added. Cant wait to see it all :)

Actually the main issue with the mod was, that it was a mod. So on top of everything that ARMA II had to run, the mod was taking part of the FPS. Rocket explained that in many interviews. So if they don't change anything in the standalone, just port everything over to the Take on helicopters engine, the game will run a lot smoother than the mod ever did.

Thats why they can make more buildings enterable, make them look better etc. Because they are not tied to how much a mod can do, they can hardcode everything inside the engine and the game will run smoothly with no glitches and shit.

So whatever they do its gonna be better than the mod, I have no worries there.

The Dev Tumblr that got the pics will have more updates in the coming weeks, with new vehicles and other stuff they added. Cant wait to see it all :)

Yes of course you are right, however I didn't bring up 'the fact it's a mod' purely because the poster I was replying to was under a different impression on how games work. I was using arma2 as an example, but my point/knowledge was for games in general. We are obviously both right, but my post was a more specific response in why games can have more detail and still be open world, not just dayZ. My post is still valid, and my point about static meshes not being performance heavy, and sandbox games rendering only certain locations at a time is still true.

• Like 1

The main difference here is that these buildings are now enterable. The aim is to have 90% of them enterable. That will change gameplay quite significantly in built up areas.

Isn't something that we already have with... Lingor.. Panthera.. and the whole rest.. already?

The DayZ SA is going to be a polished & expanded version of the mod. It's still DayZ. I don't think the devs are promising anything more than that, and besides these screenshots are just a tiny snapshot of what's to come. Personally, I don't want the standalone to be so totally different from what we have now. The devs can build on what is already an awesome foundation, and I think that's precisely what they're doing.

On a related topic, a lot of players seem to dislike ArmA's (and thus also DayZ's) HUD & controls. I understand that it's a different style with a sometimes clunkier feel compared to other FPS games, but for me personally it offers some distinct advantages over the usual FPS control scheme, namely the freelook, zoom, and many other detailed functions that can be performed. It's a system that befits a simulation game like ArmA, and it's a unique product by a (previously) lesser-known company that stands out from the rest. I'll admit the learning curve was a bit steep at first, but it was worth it. The one thing that needs an overhaul is the inventory system, but that is in fact being reworked as we speak.

• Like 2

This is really coming along well!! From all the other mods I played from other games, DayZ is the mod that has flabbergasted me! The amount of work, precision, commitment, detail, story behind it... It's absolutely amazing! I'd love to see some improvements on the zombies though. The way they run after you (the speed), is incredibly fast and doesn't almost give you a chance to run away or look back. I know it may be difficult, but it would make gameplay overall a tad bit nicer I think :/

However, these interiors look absolutely amazing, and being an amateur 3D modeler, well, I wish I could be a part of this team!! xD Everything is so involving... you get so into the game, the atmosphere is gorgeous. It really feels like your inside the game xD Which is a very good thing, because that's the whole point!

Keep up the fantastic work guys!! In rocket and his comrades we trust :D :P They most certainly have my can of :beans:

--

r0fld4nc3

Edited by r0fld4nc3

The Arma engine is particularly good at LOD rendering (better than Skyrim on my computer)...take a look at Arma:OA; almost all the buildings are enter-able, but you will hardly notice a difference in performance between the desert plain and a large town.

I think there is little to worry about. Although I'd like to point out I'm usually confident in the engine's capabilities, I can't be certain of the performance hit in Cherno/Elektro with 90% enter-able buildings.

If you're expecting an aesthetic overhaul to the DayZ standalone, you're likely to be disappointed. But if you're like me and you think DayZ looks great as it is, it'll all be gravy. The outdoor aesthetic is both haunting and tactically relevant. I even think it's pretty much of the time. An improvement to lighting, and better performance is all I'm hoping for.

As for the changes that I'm most excited for...

1. Fully re-done inventory - HUGE, HUGE, HUGE. I wouldn't even mind if there was a weight penalty, or if the amount of stuff to be carried was decreased. Main thing is a new UI

2. Fully re-done zombies! - They need to be at least relevant and fun to kill... and I believe they will be. Rocket knows the importance of this and wouldn't have used this engine if he wasn't confident he could fix the issues.

3. Cheat protection - There will ALWAYS be cheaters. It's impossible to stop them all... but if the casual cheaters can be stopped from thunderdoming and spawning in ammo boxes, I'll be happy. Seems as though this is going to be happening.

If those 3 things are fixed, I'll be a happy camper while I wait for the other innovations.

Thanks for the update Rocket!

• Like 5

Landtex---BeforeAfter.jpg

I'd love to see something like this.

We've known it was going to be using a modified version of the Arma2/TakeOnHelicopters engine, and that it would use an expanded version of the Chernarus map, for a long time now. There will be some engine improvements, especially in regards to animations, but that's not what these screenshots are about. If/when they make a new map, that will feel different. And hopefully sometime down the road they can make some adjustments to the lighting system if possible. Remember that standalone has only been in full development for several months, you guys shouldn't expect a brand new game from that, any disappointment is entirely your own doing.

• Like 1

...the machine won't only render this corridor, it has to render all the terrain and surroundings buildings, even with a very smart use of LOD I just can't see these graphical details without a huge drop in performance...

Nope, inside buildings it would be easily possible to add tons of stuff by Occlusion Culling.

I'd love to see something like this.

We've known it was going to be using a modified version of the Arma2/TakeOnHelicopters engine, and that it would use an expanded version of the Chernarus map, for a long time now. There will be some engine improvements, especially in regards to animations, but that's not what these screenshots are about. If/when they make a new map, that will feel different. And hopefully sometime down the road they can make some adjustments to the lighting system if possible. Remember that standalone has only been in full development for several months, you guys shouldn't expect a brand new game from that, any disappointment is entirely your own doing.

Eh ? KAK, what settings are you running A2 on to get such an awful rendering of the game ? Mine looks like Landtex WITHOUT Landtex. Are you running on 'Low' settings or something ? Or do you have Arma FREE with only low rez textures ?

Hey nice screenshots. Anyway can we see a small bit of gameplay. Like you run into a building shoot some zombies then go into the inventory screen or something. Thanks

Hey nice screenshots. Anyway can we see a small bit of gameplay. Like you run into a building shoot some zombies then go into the inventory screen or something. Thanks

Edit: Oh damn sorry about the double post

Edited by DragoKnight

Nope, inside buildings it would be easily possible to add tons of stuff by Occlusion Culling.

Nope, normal occlusion culling wouldn't cut it. You need something that can remove entire groups of objects/entities in a single stroke. They need something higher up like region culling/visareas/layers/etc. For example, if you can't see the house, you don't even need to look at any of the items in a house, same goes for houses in towns, etc. Also keep in mind that if all of those little objects needs physics enabled (so you can't walk through plants, chairs, etc.) it could put a lot more strain on the server. For example, in CryENGINE you can set up layers for all kinds of things and activate/deactivate them as needed. If a layer isn't activated, it's completely ignored from a processing perspective.

Looking promising.

Nice to see that survivors have retained some sense of civilization and are watering indoor plants as they pass by.

• Like 2

Nice to see that survivors have retained some sense of civilization and are watering indoor plants as they pass by.

haha word to that. still some nice screenshots tho.

Can anyone say how close this game is to release right now? ... mid or late November perhaps? *bambi eyes*