mattlightfoot

New Standalone Screenshots released

All those things box mentioned can come from another player :P

Would be great to see more player "impact" on the world, but I think you've covered that with base building and such. Cross fingers you can get it working :P

Thanks so much for providing "real" shots, it's great to see what the game will actually look like!!!

I think people such as myself who currently play the game on the highest texture settings (including DLC HD textures I paid for) should get to try this updated map/textures out. So we can see how these run on common house hold PCs.

Agreed, we discussed this as a team.

I believe it is very, very easy to go overboard with any "apocalyptic" graphical implementations on textures. It can become repetitive and remove the shock value of actually seeing something like in the game. As such, we're going to complete all the interiors first before we look at making them look more "lived". This would probably be done through decals and such. The art style we are going for is more real, and gritty. More like "the road" than a zombie film style. The gore will be there, but only in specific instances and as such I think it will have more impact.

It's not about putting bloodstains everywhere but I think the textures could be made a little bit more dirty. The cloth on tables for instance, there could be some coffee stains on it, and everything could be a little bit more greyed out from not being cleaned for a while. Anyway, good job to everyone at BIS who helped creating that, DayZ is one step closer to being my ultimate dream game

EDIT : no lighting looks good sorry, only problem is the TV that doesn't cast shadows like other objects, so it looks like it is floating in front of the screen ahah :)

Edited by Bat
  • Like 6

Nice work Rocket & Dev team, screenshots are looking fantastic....

Must start carving out a nice "Home Sweet Home" sign with my hunting knife.

It's not about putting bloodstains everywhere but I think the textures could be made a little bit more dirty. The cloth on tables for instance, there could be some coffee stains on it, and everything could be a little bit more greyed out from not being cleaned for a while. Anyway, good job to everyone at BIS who helped creating that, DayZ is one step closer to being my ultimate dream game

EDIT : no lighting looks good sorry, only problem is the TV that doesn't cast shadows like other objects, so it looks like it is floating in front of the screen ahah :)

A look of slight neglect, you know like people havn't been there for a little while.

• Like 1

Is there a chance for loot to spawn in containers (I'm thinking in the fridge, on the tables, etc) ?

• Like 4

If you can collect items from objects like a fridge, please animate the fridge door opening so it's not like you put your arm through the door and grabbed something.

"Like opening a door right now, open/close fridge door."

Edited by #Sleepy
  • Like 2

Yes, They are taken w/ Medium Settings. "The screenshots are taken on “Normal” graphic settings (medium texture resolution) and are unaltered and uncropped."

Yeah, I knew that. I said "The screenshots don't look that hot, as they are taken with medium settings". As, because, since... I wanted to say "because they are taken with medium settings". Maybe I phrased that ambiguously, as english is not my first language :P

Again, keep up the good work. This is looking really good.

Edited by HellSnake

Is it possible to get a quick update on game status much like the last tumblr post? Just something exclusive by rocket for us forum goers to digest?

Looks great.

You might consider small restaurant/hotelish buildings having a guest book connected to the main hive. So anyone at a given hotel can write or drawn something. Either so all players on all realms can read it or limit it only to the server's population.

• Like 2

For some reason, I'm getting this half life 2 vibe from the interiors. It has this source engine feel to it. And, that's a good thing. Can't wait to see what it all looks like when the artist tweak the graphics even more, and it can be seen on very high settings. I'm a graphics whore, what can I say.

Additionaly, what gets me most excited about enterable buildings, is the possibility of clearing larger buildings in the main cities. I'm hoping some of the larger buildings, like the international hotel in Cherno, can be fully enterable all the way to the top. This could make way for some amazing indoor firefights, and the ability to clear each floor of zombies all the way to the top. And, until we get player created bases, having the ability to fortify buildings such as the hotel, could make for some great player driven content.

• Like 5

For some reason, I'm getting this half life 2 vibe from the interiors. It has this source engine feel to it. And, that's a good thing. Can't wait to see what it all looks like when the artist tweak the graphics even more, and it can be seen on very high settings. I'm a graphics whore, what can I say.

Additionaly, what gets me most excited about enterable buildings, is the possibility of clearing larger buildings in the main cities. I'm hoping some of the larger buildings, like the international hotel in Cherno, can be fully enterable all the way to the top. This could make way for some amazing indoor firefights, and the ability to clear each floor of zombies all the way to the top. And, until we get player created bases, having the ability to fortify buildings such as the hotel, could make for some great player driven content.

For people who wants more gore/blood IG... Why not make players body stay a lot longer in the world and slowly start to rot and decay ? Also after a gunfight or someone is hurt the blood splashes (decals) could stay a while.

• Like 8

Agreed, we discussed this as a team.

I believe it is very, very easy to go overboard with any "apocalyptic" graphical implementations on textures. It can become repetitive and remove the shock value of actually seeing something like in the game. As such, we're going to complete all the interiors first before we look at making them look more "lived". This would probably be done through decals and such. The art style we are going for is more real, and gritty. More like "the road" than a zombie film style. The gore will be there, but only in specific instances and as such I think it will have more impact.

Sounds good, The Road captures it very nicely. Also taking a look at the interior photos of Pripyat apartments would be a good idea.

As people would have left in a rush there could be dinner plates on the table with rotting food, family photos, toys in the children room etc.

Also maybe some boarded up house designs? Hastily made fortifications by the owners (planks, closets infront of doors). And in some instances you'd find the owners crawled up dead in a corner of the house :D.

Just brainstorming here heh.

These are already better than the indoor areas currently in Chernarus, and a million times better than picking up loot from doorways for sure.

Keep up the good work. Really nice to see some of the good stuff going on in house!

Will we get some zeds indoors? I really hope running into a house won't always be the safest option when you agro some zeds...

This could make way for some amazing indoor firefights, and the ability to clear each floor of zombies all the way to the top. And, until we get player created bases, having the ability to fortify buildings such as the hotel, could make for some great player driven content.

That'd give me a reason to use my ammo.

Sounds good, The Road captures it very nicely. Also taking a look at the interior photos of Pripyat apartments would be a good idea.

As people would have left in a rush there could be dinner plates on the table with rotting food, family photos, toys in the children room etc.

Also maybe some boarded up house designs? Hastily made fortifications by the owners (planks, closets infront of doors). And in some instances you'd find the owners crawled up dead in a corner of the house :D.

Just brainstorming here heh.

It would be cool but how much cooler if those little details were player-made? I think the work on interiors shouldn't go farther than dirtying up the textures and add some cleverly placed decals (think old magasines, random unidentified trash... etc).

did i accidently missed the info, that they won't use the new vr engine as arma3 ?