Publik

Rocket I love you: Going out of bounds - exploit or acceptable?

How could anyone be dumb enough to think that the dev team actually considers it expected game play to camp out of bounds? I'm sure it will get fixed at some point.

Hmmm.

I think that maybe there should be something added to those edges of the map to limit players from going way off what we know as the DayZ map.

I have no problem with players making small settlements in the more barren places that are on the upper North and Western edges of the map but setting up something 30 minutes off what is the official Arma2 map needs to resolved.

These issues are best resolve with in game moments , not an invisible wall.

Ideas:

High level of Zombies on the edges

Debris that block it off.

Armed NPC NATO/Miltary guards will travel in vehicles and spawn if you go out to far in a way like a cowboy directs a herd. (Would need to heavy armor transport so players can't destroy them.

I do like someone mentioned the hearing of Zombie breathing as you hear or get message to turn back,..if not then you will Aggro Zombies out of no where.

If there is a limit on how far you can go off the map then there needs a way for the player to warned since there is chance they might be wondering in the dark with no map.

Lol guys........going miles out of the map bounds to store tents and vehicles is the most cowardly thing you can do. you may not consider yourself a cheater or exploiter. You can make arguments that rocket wants it this way and it wont be patched, or whatever other justifications that you want.

But you are still among the most cowardly players this game has seen. Right up there with the disconnectors. This you cannot argue.

Possible fix.

Easy solution, disallow any saving out-of-bounds.

Allow travel, flying, driving, & the ridiculous suggestion in this thread of "clan wars" in out of bounds.

Just disable saving; so tent & vehicle storage remains in play area.

Then add random server resets so the vehicles get teleported back into play at random intervals.

Does ArmA II not have anti-personnel mines and anti-vehicle mines? Just sayin...could be a fun way to fix it. :D

According to that thread Toccs posted, its an exploit and they're going to fix it in the future. End Of Discussion . Someone lock the thread now yeah?

Currently, helicopters possess the ability to spot stationary enemy vehicles via radar. Which means whoever controls the choppers controls everything. That is an extreme imbalance, especially considering that in nearly every server we've played on that has choppers, it seems like the admins (or the admin's clan) is almost always in control of the choppers. Forcing everyone to stay within the pre-defined area of the country gives whoever has a chopper the ability to scoop up every vehicle.

Since choppers can see vehicles, choppers can safely cruise above the maximum view distance, spotting vehicles without even seeing the ground. This makes setting up camps in dense forests to keep things hidden impractical, because choppers can see right through it.

There are land features and formations outside the map boundaries. There's nothing out there, but the devs still put in mountains and terrain, so it must be a part of the game world.

Now, I can understand perhaps limiting just how far you can walk, drive, or fly past the edge of the map. People shouldn't be able to get all the way to the northern borders. I think maybe we could at least have SOME area outside the main map.

I might consider supporting enforcement of map boundaries if and only if chopper's radar system is removed. If you're flying a chopper, you should be looking out your windows and trying to spot camps, instead of being able to find EVERYTHING in the server in a matter of hours. With radar, choppers can fly higher than the server's visibility, thus being invincible, and using the radar, players can find everything.

I am fine with it for one reason that is simple.

It simulates hiding stuff in an open desert in real life. Imagine stashing shit in the Sahara where you CAN walk for days without finding anything. The risk of dehydration and hunger are the same in this as in that. There wouldn't be zeds there in RL and not here either. Is it unfair?.... well in real life hiding your trucks out in a desert is that UNFAIR? Unfair imo is doing things that break the game and are not part of the system. Duping items outa thin air, hacking in shit outa thin air, or whatever else hackers do. Simply walking in one direction for a long time in a barren wasteland is not hacking in my opinion. Yes it is basically only used for as a bank or a hidy place to log out, but in real life don't criminal and terrorist organizations hide shit in the middle of nowhere? is that hacking? nope.

Whole thread made me lol

"Its not fair...."

Erm yeh it is! Nothing to stop you doing it, its perfectly fair.

I agree with hiding stuff out of bounds even though I've never stashed it i've stolen from them plenty of times.

Hey I know. Every time someone finds a trick to the game that doesn't involve staying on the coast and dying to your sniper rifle' date=' let's complain about it!

[/quote']

This man speaks the fucking truth.

Hey guys we cant kill noobs on the coast, lets cry to Rocket.

Serious question, what bout this link people are posting which states the official response? All I see is a request, and some comments regarding the request.

Rocket has said, or so I heard, that he intends to extend the map and make the servers support larger amounts of players, so I don't know if it's just waiting for the extension? Or it's just gonna be there to be there.

I don't personally see anything wrong with it. But I mean, it would really suck if they had all the choppers stashed up north somewhere. Then again you can always find another server. I dunno. From what I heard stashing shit off map was really risky? Items despawn etc. If I had the resources I would hide all my l00tz up north.

/my two cents.

It's an exploit' date=' and I hope it gets fixed. I actually made a post about this in the suggestions forum earlier today. It isn't fair for a clan to stash all of the vehicles on the map outside of the boundaries a million miles away, where no player can reach it without jogging for hours.

[/quote']

Go back to Hello Kitty carebear.

Get back in the map with your tents , or are you affraid of losing pixels?

Where there's authenticity there is no exploit or flawed design.

I don't mean realism because let's face it, no game has ever achieved realism, i mean authenticity.

no because then you cant shoot people when they off map. they should make them all bunch up so we can shoot them easier

While this may not be helpful at all a friend of mine started a server the other day and we caught a 3 man clan just driving every vehicle in the map out into the desert and then killing themselves or something similar just to deny everyone else the chance of finding one would sure love to reset the server and add them to our banlist for just being stupidly dickish but also dont want the server to be shut down by rocket for removing dickish players.. what a catch 22... i smell daily server resets from now on.

at least then other players can get the opportunity to spend 5 hours trying to fix a car too instead of noone ever having a car anymore on the server

How is this considered in Arma2? Is it acceptable there?

It isn't considered at all, as there is no reason to go there. Unless you are flying, of course, in which case it is a great thing to not have an artificial exclusion zone limiting your AO.

The care bears hide their stuff out there because they are afraid to lose it. It needs to be fixed.

Exploit. The map is the map. You motherfuckers use that map and stop looking for any kind of glitches to put yourself over others. Goddamit I bet most of you disconnect when being shot at.

this is a silly argument, vehicles/tents out of bounds should not be allowed period. It effectively removes an item from play(specifically a player or vehicle). Allowing indefinite safety is I think out of the realm of what Day Z was meant to be.

It's the same as a game of football except you take away the ball. People try to find vehicles, assholes take them out of the map where people don't bother looking. Shows that they're scared to lose their loot and enjoy an unfair advantage over others.