Sign in to follow this  
Bombolz (DayZ)

Third person and first person - you decide

Do you want to keep third person viewing, or remove it?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to keep third person viewing, or remove it?

I came across a thread discussing whether third person should be kept or removed. Hence I was curious as to whether how many people want it removed, and how many want to keep it.

Edited by Bombolz

I personally hate when people use 3rd person to peek around walls and stuff, it's just that the first person view seems to make me nauseous for some reason. I will switch to first person in combat, and 3rd person when just running places so I don't constantly feel sick and so I can have a wider FoV.

• Like 1

I usually play in first person, but I switch to third person when I'm travelling long distance so I can check out my hero-iness

Pretty much same for me , 3rd person for travelling , 1st person when in combat.

I prefer to keep the 3rd person due to preference. Better to include an option rather than force 1st person down everyone's throat. I generally use first person for combat situations and 3rd person for traveling.

It's been with us since 2001.

I think it's here to stay.

• Like 1

I can understand why people don't like 3dp, but I've broken legs on tree roots and stones soooo many times by crawling around in 1st person! I just use it when I'm expecting a fight or walking indoors now.

DayZ needs a Field of View slider. If the FoV for 1st person was wider horizontally it would be easier to use all the time IMO.

What's more important to me, is REMOVE CROSSHAIRS!!!

Being able too shoot from the hip with supreme accuracy pisses me off.

Even on rookie difficulty, shouldn't you have to aim your gun? :huh:

What's more important to me, is REMOVE CROSSHAIRS!!!

Being able too shoot from the hip with supreme accuracy pisses me off.

Even on rookie difficulty, shouldn't you have to aim your gun? :huh:

It's acutally not that hard to hit something while fireing from the hip, as long as it's not more than let's say 15 to 20 metres away. I'd suggest reducing the accuracy drastically while shooting from the hip. Besides, melee weapons without crosshair is a pain in the ass. Currently using the axe on servers without crosshairs is sooo much harder even though it shouldn't. I mean I should know where I'm swining my axe, I shouldn't have to guess.

On the matter of Thrid Person being removed, there are so many freakin threads about this I won't bother posting my opinion about it here yet again for the millionth time.

I'd suggest reducing the accuracy drastically while shooting from the hip. Besides, melee weapons without crosshair is a pain in the ass.

Reducing accuracy would be a half-decent compromise, it feels more "game" than "anti-game", but I can understand people won't bow to my personal preferences. ^_^

With a proper melee combat system (swing swing) there should be no need for a crosshair, AFAIK the hatchet in DayZ is just a remnant of a gun-based system.

Back on-topic, I can't see 3dp being cut from DayZ. The "1st person über alles" movement is a (disproportionally vocal) minority.

^ ^ ^

I prefer 1st and my serious char is on a server with no ch no 3dp etc, but why worry about it. As above...it is a server option so pick your settings, play.

Well either way, whether you like it or not, I think it's here to stay. I prefer to keep it, since there are server options.

I prefer to keep the 3rd person due to preference. Better to include an option rather than force 1st person down everyone's throat. I generally use first person for combat situations and 3rd person for traveling.

An option always has the possibility of people feeling "cheated" if they play 1st person and get killed by a 3rd person player. So if anything only forced...at least on foot. It would make things easier for people to maneuver vehicles if they had 3rd person for that, on the other hand i don't really need that either. But it's true that the game engine cant handle the perspective well and therefor causes nausea which is the only cause why people dislike 1st person.

If the Arma2-Controls wouldn't be so bad, there'd be no need for 3rd person view. But as it is, climbing stairs in 1st person can easily get you killed...or really annoyed at least.

It's acutally not that hard to hit something while fireing from the hip, as long as it's not more than let's say 15 to 20 metres away.

Aiming off the hip isn't that difficult in real life. As long as your bullet goes where the barrel is pointed at it shouldn't be different in video games. In CoD for example this wasn't the case when moving. So you could stick the rifle up someones nose and pull the trigger...nothing happened mostly. Really pissed me off. Not sure if Arma2 handles this better.

But it's true that the game engine cant handle the perspective well and therefor causes nausea which is the only cause why people dislike 1st person.

Motion sickness is not the only reason people don't like 1st person.

In a "man vs. wild" situation, whether in a videogame or no, having awareness of yourself in relation to your surroundings is among the most important requirements.

1st person can't fully replicate this, and the constricted perception of your characters' body position and movement are major drawbacks, which are averted with the inclusion of 3rd person view.

It's not a very well balanced solution for current DayZ gameplay, as it can give an advantage in PvP, but the survival themed aspects will be built upon more in the standalone and will likely require more awareness from players.

EDIT: If Rocket goes ahead with his plan to remove the HUD in favour of audio and visual cues, seeing that your character moves slower or has different idle animations would a good indication of injury/hunger/dehydration. The same indications wouldn't be so easy to express in 1st person.

Edited by Chabowski

If you want an increased FOV double tap ur numpad - key.

I'll use 3rd person if it's available but personally I like being able to choose. Given the choice however, i'd choose to have it off since to FOV option is there anyway, there's no argument left on that (not to mention the markers on the edge of the screen). If you feel sick in 1st person idk about that, most FPS are first person and I never hear anyone complain in those. Ultimately give people a choice, that always works well.

Pretty much same for me , 3rd person for travelling , 1st person when in combat.

Hello there

The above goes for me too.

rgds

LoK

most FPS are first person and I never hear anyone complain in those. Ultimately give people a choice, that always works well.

I'm starting to think the movement+perspective might be the cause of some of the nausea. (Most FPS use view models, ArmA uses the same models and animations whether you're in 3rd or 1st person view)

And the head bob is clunky/unrealistic but I like to leave it on a wee bit.

If you want an increased FOV double tap ur numpad - key.

^This, I forgot to mention. It's handy as fuck, and is also a solution to the "negative mouse acceleration" that I've read complaints about.

I remapped mine from "2x -" to "Tab" because it's right next to "wasd", the only problem is I occasionally alt+tab when freelooking, but it's a toggle, so you don't have to hold the button down.

Well I've left the poll open for several days now, and it seems the public has spoken, 3rd person is favorite choice, by a vast amount. Thank you for your time people!

It would be good if DayZ allowed for multiple monitors, three or more for a greater view. I've not tried it as I only have two monitors at the moment but I will be getting more soon.

I just prefer 3rd person most of the time,due to my Fps going down in first person, but I use first person in combat with other players, or walkers.

As it is now, 1st person is stupid. your view bounces like your neck is made of concrete.

Seriously.when you are running IRL, do your head bounce like that? or when you prone.

Reducing accuracy would be a half-decent compromise, it feels more "game" than "anti-game", but I can understand people won't bow to my personal preferences. ^_^

With a proper melee combat system (swing swing) there should be no need for a crosshair, AFAIK the hatchet in DayZ is just a remnant of a gun-based system.

Back on-topic, I can't see 3dp being cut from DayZ. The "1st person über alles" movement is a (disproportionally vocal) minority.

They could "widen" the area of effect on the melee weapons to compensate.

They could "widen" the area of effect on the melee weapons to compensate.

I get the feeling Rocket is the kind of guy who would rather rewrite the melee system to make it feel like a solid gameplay feature than "quick fix" it and leave it still a bit meh.