Trizzo

‘CoD Kiddie’ Analogy Regarding PvP Is Entirely Wrong

One of the constant analogies thrown so loosely around is the 'CoD Kiddie'. This supposes that PvP resembles little more than frenzied shoot feast where ‘kiddies’ kill every player as if they were on the opposing team. Seems to make sense? You see a player in CoD you shoot them right? Wrong.

CoD is primarily a team based game. In CoD half the players are automatically ruled out of contention given the team they are on. KoS is a detriment in CoD, you might kill one of your own and be punished for it. No such punishment exists in DayZ therefore there is only profit (in the short term)

Ahh you say! What the analogy refers to is a CoD free for all where there are no teams and players just shoot each other. A misnomer when drawing a thread between CoD and DayZ. Because there are no teams in DayZ either...How is the term CoD Kiddie pejorative? “Ha you’re playing this free for all game like another free for all game…kiddie noob!” It’s a convenient mechanism to diminish the feelings of a hurt butt.

But what about interesting player experiences? CoD Kiddies are ruining the potential fun. No

dyanmics happen in Cod…ohh...

Yes, when you get kos or shot from afar it is frustrating but if death was negatable or entirely avoidible through arbitrary design choices DayZ is no longer DayZ. It's another generic game with spawn protection and this lessens the experiences you have. You will never earn a dynamic player encounter in your own right if carebare becomes part of dayz.

I would contend that it is in fact players that find themselves constantly using the CoD Kiddie analogy that would be better off playing CoD. Players would once again find other players clearly defined by teams or an objective, avoiding any strain their hearts experience when worrying about the next player encounter in DayZ.

Henceforth the term CoD Kiddie should never be used again!

Cheers

Edited by Trizzo
  • Like 2

Just a derogatory term, like carebear, that gets thrown around in games with both PvP and PvE players.DayZ's perfect mix on PvP and PvE, enriches both playstyles.

• Like 5

HAHA CoD a team game? When anyone can lonewolf and win the game solo, it is not a team game.

• Like 3

Cod kid refers to peoples only aim is to kill others, with absolutely no regard for anything else the game offers.

• Like 3

Yea, its just one o those lil sayings people say when theyre raging, and cant think o anything clever to say.

This game would be as boring as mario without the PvP.. occasionally Z's get me, but truth is if yah didnt have to worry about the PvP, not making undue noise, or bringing attention to yerself, Death would be a rarity ( Lets face it, you would have to be either blind/deaf or have suffered serious head trauma at some point in yer past to not figure out how to beat the Z's)

Im with the OP... and the people who think playing pure PvE dayz would be fun, would probably be kept entertained for hours with a sheet o bubble wrap, so dont expect to much from this thread ;)

Its just a term used by players who are bad at DayZ.

CoD kiddies don't play DayZ, they play CoD. People that use this analogy are either butthurt because they are bad, or just aren't experienced enough in DayZ to know the golden rule: don't trust strangers!

• Like 1

Look, a COD kiddie pretending to sound intelligent.

Because ad hominem works.

deathmatch.

Still don't think this is correct comparision. In CoD deathmatch is a clearly defined game mode. In DayZ there is no such rule.

CoDs deathmatch lacks existential tension because the gamemode is explicitly pushing people towards combat, the design encourages it at every moment. People could suddenly decide to stop killing each other in DayZ tomorrow. Not saying it would make the game better or worse, it could just happen. They could stop killing each other in CoD but the outcome is a draw, a judgement on performance. Comparing any aspect of CoD to DayZ, even in the negative sense, is comparing rules to nihilism. Anybody who says cod people drag down dayz have missed the point.

Edited by Trizzo

OP sounds like a cod kiddie. There is no teamwork in CoD, except in competitive terms, but that's a small fraction of the players. CoD takes no skill, my CS:S team was at LAN and decided to install CoD MW2 to play in the tourny they had, we took 2nd place.

The term is pretty dumb. Most of the people using it complain about people killing on sight. I don't see a problem with KoS.

Edited by terrex

Still don't think this is correct comparision. In CoD deathmatch is a clearly defined game mode. In DayZ there is no such rule.

CoDs deathmatch lacks existential tension because the gamemode is explicitly pushing people towards combat, the design encourages it at every moment. People could suddenly decide to stop killing each other in DayZ tomorrow. Not saying it would make the game better or worse, it could just happen. They could stop killing each other in CoD but the outcome is a draw, a judgement on performance. Comparing any aspect of CoD to DayZ, even in the negative sense, is comparing rules to nihilism. Anybody who says cod people drag down dayz have missed the point.

In a Chernarus..far far away..many many many months ago it was common to be able to team up rather easily. Bandits were few and far between, kos was nowhere near like it became. When dayz burst out of its bubble kos became more an more common until it got to the point where attempting to team up was akin to falling on your sword. This was blamed on the big influx of newbies to the game, who were called cod kiddies because their natural reaction was just to squeeze of their Makarov as soon as they saw someone or run to a spot of cover and snipe new spawns. Of course this is blamed on the cod style of gameplay that most of the players are used to, see..shoot. Some adapted and changed their style, the others still reside on the coast and shoot it out deathmatch style in the coastal towns- cod kiddies. Of course some people just use it because they rage when they die. Unlucky.

I think it is a fair term to describe a lot of the players :) Hopefully more games come along that break the traditional cod/bf3 style.

At the end of it all, it is just a game..with guns. Death is to be expected at every corner whether you are a cod kiddie or a simulator junkie.

• Like 8

Trizzo although you managed to pump out a myriad of grandiose sounding words like they're going out of style in your behemothic diatribe...you still manage to miss the point of the 'COD kiddie' comparison.

It has nothing to do with teams or free-for all which is all that you can seemingly talk about. It's about the fact that CoD is a competitive PvP game. Team based, or free for all, the game is to shoot as many of the other guys as possible and finish high up on the leaderboard: Call of Duty is the name, fragging is the game.

Is DayZ clearly a competitive PvP game? Does it give you better weapons and perks for killing other players? Does it reward you for killstreaks? Does it 'rank you up' with the more kills you get? Does it have 'achievements' which you unlock by killing other players? No. Other then killing a player for their equipment there is no reward in killing another player in DayZ. It's not overtly competitive at all. DayZ isn't pure PvP nor is it pure PvE. It's not a win-lose game, it can be win-win. But to a Pavlovian trained kid who has played nothing but CoD and other competitive PvP games for the last 5-10 years he kills anyway, he feels good about it and he screams into the microphone about how you're such a "fucking noob" when all you had was a Makaroni and a bandage. Whatever way you look at it that's quintessential CoD kiddie behaviour. Why would you not call it what it is?

he screams into the microphone about how you're such a "fucking noob" when all you had was a Makaroni and a bandage. Whatever way you look at it that's quintessential CoD kiddie behaviour. Why would you not call it what it is?

I don't scream into the microphone or anything, but if Ive stumbled upon someone who only has a bandage and a makarov I do consider them a noob. I mean it takes maybe ten minutes to gear up and get something better than a makarov to protect yourself with. What are the odds Id find someone in this situation and kill them in those ten minutes? Its highly unlikely unless they are bad at the game and don't know how to play it. Although I haven't died for quite a few weeks on any characters, I don't have a problem getting weapons and other necessities and defending myself, if you can't do this at the start of a fresh life I can only assume your bad at the game.

when all you had was a Makaroni and a bandage. Whatever way you look at it that's quintessential CoD kiddie behaviour. Why would you not call it what it is?

Not exactlly a diatribe, more an exhausted petition against basless rage. What i would call DayZ is the perfect video game exmaple of the Hobbesian state of nature. Everyone has equal claim to gear and some people are just nasty irregardless of what they think of gear. This is not entirely the fault of CoD and it should be fairly obvious to everybody what is going to happen in a world without rules and guns.

Edited by Trizzo

What..that most of the people would be cowering in their cellars ?

Don't know where the 'kiddie' aspect comes from, I think the term is generally used by people who got badly owned in COD and harbour some kind of deep resentment towards the game and it's players, therefore when they try to 'insult' a demographic or try to lay blame for something 'bad' happening to them they immediately call them "COD kiddies" as this can quell their deep seated butthurt by demonising those that play COD as something "bad".

I cannot see any other reason for it, it is used in general as a derogatory term, desinged to elicit an emotional response, very similar to just trolling.

For myself, as soon as I see the words "COD Kiddie" used in a post to describe someone negatively, I disregard the post / poster as being upset and lashing out at those that hurt them earlier on, as I would a troll post.

Are people aware that games have been around for many years that follow the "run and gun" game type, quake / 2 / 3, CS, CSS, COD, CS:GO, BF,BF2,BF3, Ghost recon, the list is almost endless....

If those who like to use the term could just show us on the dolly where the nasty "COD kiddie" touched them, then maybe we can work to rid the community of their immaturity.

The whiners should signup for eveonline and go mine rocks....carebears.

ex eve player. Lost over 3 years to that game :P Never again.