Trizzo

‘CoD Kiddie’ Analogy Regarding PvP Is Entirely Wrong

OP sounds like a cod kiddie. There is no teamwork in CoD, except in competitive terms, but that's a small fraction of the players. CoD takes no skill, my CS:S team was at LAN and decided to install CoD MW2 to play in the tourny they had, we took 2nd place.

Define 'skill'.

In a Chernarus..far far away..many many many months ago it was common to be able to team up rather easily. Bandits were few and far between, kos was nowhere near like it became. When dayz burst out of its bubble kos became more an more common until it got to the point where attempting to team up was akin to falling on your sword. This was blamed on the big influx of newbies to the game, who were called cod kiddies because their natural reaction was just to squeeze of their Makarov as soon as they saw someone or run to a spot of cover and snipe new spawns.

I don't think the CoD kids all just cooperatively migrated to DayZ. I think a combination of these 3 theories is the cause of that.

1) There were a small amount of bandits when the game was released. These few people slowly made the player base become more and more paranoid, until "trust no one" became words of truth. There were probably people that were running around making friends with everyone back in May, but after a few bad run ins with the rare bad apples...they began preemptively shooting on site. Maybe one time he shot someone that was new to the game, and gave this person the first impression that most people were out for blood. Simply put; paranoia domino effect.

2) After a few weeks playing, people realized that the Zombies weren't actually a threat, but more of an annoying obstacle (deal relatively low damage, often get stuck on obstacles, can be outrun, can be lost by running through buildings, are easy to kill, etc). People gradually became less friendly either because they no longer thought that working in large groups was essential to survival, or because they felt the need to hunt a more dangerous game.

3) After either being forced into a few thrilling showdowns with the occasional bandit, or watching exciting videos on Youtube/Twitchtv, survivors slowly began to embrace PvP as the most enjoyable way to play the game.

Not exactlly a diatribe, more an exhausted petition against basless rage. What i would call DayZ is the perfect video game exmaple of the Hobbesian state of nature. Everyone has equal claim to gear and some people are just nasty irregardless of what they think of gear. This is not entirely the fault of CoD and it should be fairly obvious to everybody what is going to happen in a world without rules and guns.

This. It has nothing to do with CoD. It is how society is about everything (money, land, etc.)

Is DayZ clearly a competitive PvP game? Does it give you better weapons and perks for killing other players? Does it reward you for killstreaks? Does it 'rank you up' with the more kills you get? Does it have 'achievements' which you unlock by killing other players? No. Other then killing a player for their equipment there is no reward in killing another player in DayZ. It's not overtly competitive at all. DayZ isn't pure PvP nor is it pure PvE. It's not a win-lose game, it can be win-win. But to a Pavlovian trained kid who has played nothing but CoD and other competitive PvP games for the last 5-10 years he kills anyway, he feels good about it and he screams into the microphone about how you're such a "fucking noob" when all you had was a Makaroni and a bandage. Whatever way you look at it that's quintessential CoD kiddie behaviour. Why would you not call it what it is?

Regular Arma 2 doesn't give rewards for killing either afaik. Don't tell me the goal of Arma 2 is not to kill people. You even get a badass balaclava for having bad humanity, that can be a reward depending on your perspective.

Some people play SC2 because they enjoyed the first game as a kid, and want a casual past time. Most people in Korea play SC2 because they strive to play it competitively for money. Not everyone plays for the same reasons. If you don't like getting shot at, then host your own server and kick bandits. I wouldn't be surprised if there are already servers with a no PvP rule.

Edited by basilonereborn

Define 'skill'.

skill/skil/

Noun:

• The ability to do something well; expertise.
  • A particular ability.

Your welcome.

I own on COD and I own on DayZ....like someone said its the crap players who use this saying.

Most cod players I know are shit at DayZ because u do have to use ya brains and be very sneaky.

I was a knife only player on COD so being sneaky was my style anyway.

Btw COD is no where near a team game, look up counter strike source for a real FPS game.

I think most people refer to a mentality rather than actually assuming they are Call of Duty players when they use the term "CoD kiddies"

And over the months it's been taken over by other forum users that could potentialy rage out when they got killed by a hill sniper. basicly calling them CoD kiddies because they just shoot you for the kill rather than taking your possesions.

But still to the whole origin of this thread. it's basicly looking like what Activision tried to make the game look like, that it's about teamplay in certain game modes. but with my experiences in the Call of Duty series, it's allot of things but teamplay is not part of it what so ever.. NEVER. people even rage at each other for kill stealing and they consider the rest of their team useless most of the time. it's all about you and no one else. your team is basicly just cannon fodder and otherwise obstacle material when they happen to be in your way. though frankly I did enjoy the game at times because the gameplay is smooth and feels right but yeah. it's a lone wolf game at most times. though I'm sure there are contests out there or just other organized games going on amongst clans.

So yeah I think that's where the whole term came from, though half of the people who come up with the term are just being angry rather than actually aiming towards CoD Players or blindly doing so when they are actually aiming towards those players. blinded rage I say!

• Like 1

TF2 is a team game, in cod i dont see any perks giving teamplay an advantage

argumenting with cod having two teams and you cant shoot one of the teams is not applicable here because a splitsecond is enough to see who to shoot and who not to shoot in cod

since no one is on "your team" in dayz, cod kiddies shoot everyone they see

so yes, cod kiddie IS valid for this, it only describes players playing the game like a normal shooter, wich by any means DayZ isn't

this topic is completely useless, just like the topics argumenting that "hackers" is no a valid term (which "hacker" really isnt, since people mean "cheaters" not "hackers" when saying "hacker", still the term has become valid through the community using it)

the community made these terms valid, if you like them or not is completely unimportant

• Like 1

Not exactlly a diatribe, more an exhausted petition against basless rage. What i would call DayZ is the perfect video game exmaple of the Hobbesian state of nature. Everyone has equal claim to gear and some people are just nasty irregardless of what they think of gear. This is not entirely the fault of CoD and it should be fairly obvious to everybody what is going to happen in a world without rules and guns.

It is a diatribe even if it also is an exhausted position. But why do you care so much?

Point is that there are Players in DayZ thinking this is a Shooter and Kill everything on Sight.

Wich is not how DayZ is intended to be played!

The Term CS / CoD / BF / GRAW "Shooterkiddie" is swearing lets Face it. But non the less true!

You feel offended by hearing that everyone Thinks CoD Players act the same dumb way.

Well i can understand that!

But you have to admit that is how Things are in those FPS.

Youngones running around shooting without thinking only aiming for the next Frag!

Thats why many like me left those Games. Because if i want to compet with others i just can do ..Football.

Dayz is not a Highscore Game there is no "Firstplace" no "Winner" its "The Way is the Goal"!

So please stop the fragging and start the Fight for Survive!

o0O[There should be PVP-Match Server and Surviving-Servers]

Edited by Karmann

HAHA CoD a team game? When anyone can lonewolf and win the game solo, it is not a team game.

I play with two mates. They are much better than me, but we share intel.

skill/skil/

Noun:

• The ability to do something well; expertise.
  • A particular ability.

Your welcome.

Now define 'your'.

You're welcome.

Now define 'your'.

You're welcome.

yourplural of your (Adjective)

Adjective:

• Belonging to or associated with the person or people that the speaker is addressing: "what is your name?".
  • Belonging to or associated with any person in general: "the sight is enough to break your heart".

Done.

I think most people refer to a mentality rather than actually assuming they are Call of Duty players when they use the term "CoD kiddies"

And over the months it's been taken over by other forum users that could potentialy rage out when they got killed by a hill sniper. basicly calling them CoD kiddies because they just shoot you for the kill rather than taking your possesions.

This

it's the same as the word retard is used for stupid people.

It makes no sense why people say Cod takes no skill. If so, why are some players better than others, then every game should be a draw. Sure some guns might be over powered but you need to control recoil believe it or not, you have to know all the maps, where people hide, where to throw stuns/grenades. It is not skill-less by any means. Honestly, I think all the dayz players that say that are bf3/halo lovers who have to find some way to insult cod, even on a entirely different game. Take 3v3 on MW3, it is entirely team based, it is impossible to win without some kind of team communication, calling out enemiy locations. I think they are mad at the players, probably the ones who drop-shot (which BTW is dispicable) or the people who cuss/yell at the other team, or they are just mad that THEY have no skill at the game, so they complain and insult the people that do. Seriously, grow up

There's a very simple explanation for use of the term. Pbremmus has already alluded to it.

Association & Adoption.

Clearly some members of the community associate shooting on sight and taunting with the stereotyped overly competitive Call of Duty playing kids. A few people initially coined the term, throwing it around in heated web forum topics which were then viewed by others and soon enough, it was a wide-spread and commonly used term for describing players that display this kind of behaviour. (The same theory applies to memes, to some extent.) The accuracy of the phrase is unimportant, after all, it is based on a stereotype. But as the stereotype is well known by the community, it functions well as a means of conveying the concept that it is being used to represent. That is why the term 'CoD Kiddie' is used.

TL;DR: It's concise and it expresses the intended concept through a commonly recognized stereotype. grin.gif

Edited by Alopex
  • Like 1

In a Chernarus..far far away..many many many months ago it was common to be able to team up rather easily. Bandits were few and far between, kos was nowhere near like it became. When dayz burst out of its bubble kos became more an more common until it got to the point where attempting to team up was akin to falling on your sword. This was blamed on the big influx of newbies to the game, who were called cod kiddies because their natural reaction was just to squeeze of their Makarov as soon as they saw someone or run to a spot of cover and snipe new spawns. Of course this is blamed on the cod style of gameplay that most of the players are used to, see..shoot. Some adapted and changed their style, the others still reside on the coast and shoot it out deathmatch style in the coastal towns- cod kiddies. Of course some people just use it because they rage when they die. Unlucky.

I think it is a fair term to describe a lot of the players :) Hopefully more games come along that break the traditional cod/bf3 style.

At the end of it all, it is just a game..with guns. Death is to be expected at every corner whether you are a cod kiddie or a simulator junkie.

True, but most of the so called COD kiddies only care about kill ratio and not survival and scavenge for the supplies. u find sometimes a fully ,oaded player body, only because he is just for gaining another kill then for their food and other supplies.

they come in the game, script themself some hardware and go for the most kills. go online with COD and all that happens their every single day. Let them stay there and let the people who want to scavenge and see how long they can survive play Dayz.

And yes, if u are badly in need of food or drink the u can decide if u want to ask the stranger for food or u will kill him for food.

I have kos once when i was coming dan the stairs and someone was pointing a gun at me. but i will never kos when it is not needed.

I call 35 year olds 'cod kiddies' who do banditry for fun.

irregardless?

You just blew your "lexicon of superiority" streak.

The old typo invalidates argument and or used as a barb. I hate regardless I always fudge it (in conversation too) Thinking i need to add an 'I' as an 'A 'is added to 'Atheist' from 'Theist'.

It is a diatribe even if it also is an exhausted position. But why do you care so much?

Wasn't driven by spite or hate but why? A bit of boredom and read the bottom quote and response.

I guess he couldent shake off the cod kiddie in him...tut tut

Ad homeimn, thank you for spending your time with one of the many non-contributions.

Point is that there are Players in DayZ thinking this is a Shooter and Kill everything on Sight.

Wich is not how DayZ is intended to be played!

This is perfect example of why I started the thread. Where is the rule that states "this is not the way dayz was meant to be played". Can you point out a a single rule that says how dayz was meant to be played? And not just you. To the various flamers, trolls and detractors find one rule and I’ll concede everything. Good luck.

If i did anything wrong it was focusing to much on CoD, it would have been better to examine the pointlessness of the anger in the face of the final DayZ conlusion. You are going to die regardless, there are no rules unlike CoD and all of your planning is useless. Even if the CoD analogy stands it won't change anything in DayZ. There shouldn't be a reason to be angry.

Edited by Trizzo

Being a bandit is fun...doesn't mean you aren't good at the game. Before my crew started on a new private hive, they had (I was pretty inactive for about a month) multiple FNFAL/M14s, various sniper rifles, multiple M4 CCOs with tons of stanag mags, 2 vehicles, our own personal NVGs with about 4 spares, our own person ghillie suits with about 6 spares, a few GPS devices, and much more. About half of it was looted from the spawn, the other half was either stolen from a camp or taken from a dead body.

Calling someone CoD kiddie is just someone being butthurt. Either they forgot that you can't trust anyone, or they are not a good enough to win a head to head engagement. If someone who you claim, has very little experience with how DayZ is "supposed to be played", is able to kill you...just embarrassing huh?

And to the people that say CoD doesn't take teamwork: neither BF3 or DayZ require teamwork. It is just how the people choose to play the game. The small scale of the MW3 maps puts an emphasis on fast reflexes and good accuracy, but you can still work as a coordinated squad if you choose.

• Like 1

basilonereborn

2) After a few weeks playing, people realized that the Zombies weren't actually a threat, but more of an annoying obstacle (deal relatively low damage, often get stuck on obstacles, can be outrun, can be lost by running through buildings, are easy to kill, etc). People gradually became less friendly either because they no longer thought that working in large groups was essential to survival, or because they felt the need to hunt a more dangerous game.

3) After either being forced into a few thrilling showdowns with the occasional bandit, or watching exciting videos on Youtube/Twitchtv, survivors slowly began to embrace PvP as the most enjoyable way to play the game.

KingOchaos

Im with the OP... and the people who think playing pure PvE dayz would be fun, would probably be kept entertained for hours with a sheet o bubble wrap, so dont expect to much from this thread

yep

"CoDkiddie" is the same as the word "foreigner" - everybody knows what it means when they say it, but it means different things from different perspectives.

There's no need to discuss it, because from every individuals point of view, they are right.

There is not one set-in-stone "way to play" DayZ, but there IS the intention Rocket had when he created it.

PvP is a part of the game, it WILL happen. Friendly player interaction is also a part of the game. A seemingly less popular part, but far more rewarding if you take the chance.

People will call eachother names. They will also always be convinced they are in the right, it's how people tend to work.

There will always be a division, because, while players are not afraid to be involved a firefight, they are afraid to take part in social interactions.

inb4- "not afraid" rant

• Like 1

You know why I like to shoot people? The thrill. In just about every modern FPS in existence except Counter-Strike, you respawn almost immediately.

"Aw, I got shot. Oh well, I'll just press F and immediately put myself back in the game to shoot more guys."

In any modern FPS, death has no meaning. You can kill thousands of others and not think anything of it. In DayZ, that isn't the case. When you die, you die. One wrong move, and potentially hours of effort into your character just vanishes. The same is true for the other. Because of this, the sense of loss comes with a sense of self-preservation. And due to that, when you feel threatened, you get adrenaline. No other game has the same sensations.

I remember being in the NW airfield with my friend, holed up in the ACT with my friend, armed with Lee Enfields and Winchesters, being suppressed by four bandits armed with military-grade gear. The adrenaline of shots whizzing inches past your head, and the excitement of actually coming out on top and killing all four of them cannot be felt in any other game.

• Like 2

yourplural of your (Adjective)

Adjective:

• Belonging to or associated with the person or people that the speaker is addressing: "what is your name?".
  • Belonging to or associated with any person in general: "the sight is enough to break your heart".

Done.

I can't tell if you completely missed the point or if you are a genius.

I can't tell if you completely missed the point or if you are a genius.

I didn't miss the point. I don't care about spelling, punctuation or grammar. I also think its pretty retarded to be a spelling nazi in a game forum.