Sign in to follow this  
DaGolem

Mod to standalone over switch

Will you switsch from Mod to Standalone?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Will you switch from Mod to Standalone?

• Yes, definitely, 100%
    • Maybe (reason in post?)
    • No, Mod is enough for me
    • No (reason in posting?)
    • I play both

Why you change from Mod to Standalone(SA) or why not?

I am interrested in why you change or not change and what do you think can be the reasons why people dont switch.

(Yeah, we all dont know what will come in Standalone(SA).)

.............................................................................................................

1.Zombies

Zombies in the Mod, if you lerned how to, are not difficult to handle. The only two things that make them dangerous are the stupid movement and the gift of walking through walls.

If the technical Problems solved then they can be more easy then now.

2.Costum Maps

Panthera & lingor Island are both awesome Maps if they dont playable in the Standalone(SA) then the SA los alot of attractiveness.

Edited by DaGolem

I will be following both as will many others.

Fix your poll.

Moved (not a suggestion)

I will be following both as will many others.

Fix your poll.

Moved (not a suggestion)

Ok poll fixed.

about moved: I have think that the postings are suggestion. The reasons why people dont switch or what people think can be helpfull.

Your poll is flawed, they are not mutually exclusive.

Edit - cool, you fixed it. I will be following both. The mods will continue to expand and develop fresh ideas whilst the standalone should just be a good stable solid game. Win - win.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 1

Ill be following both. Actually, right now Im window shopping. Ill buy DayZ and WarZ. Im going to get beta access to WarZ when it starts next week. I don't have big expectations for it. If its as bad as I think it will be, Ill be back fairly quickly to the mod. Unless WarZ somehow blows my mind and gets me addicted, Ill be buying DayZ. If it delivers I may drop the mod. It depends how good it is. Then there is Company of Heroes 2 which is being released very soon so its getting a bit tight. I only like to play one game at a time and I think Ill enjoy all 3 of these games, but know Ill only really play one. Decision time basically :/

Hello all

I'll keep an eye on the reviews and will follow it's progress for a while to see how it actually turns out rather than snap it up instantly on release and will wait for the hype to die down..

I personally prefer the Mod aspect due to the way the game can be, well... modded. Modability is whats kept me a Bohemia fan all these years. There's always one of their Flashpointy sims on my machines at all times. No other game has had that effect on my PC habits and to be frank without the mods, I probably would have stopped playing Arma years ago. (well perhaps not, it is rather good).

rgds

LoK

100%. Mod will be dumped one way or the other and or will surely receive less attention/care. For 30AUD this was more than worth the price of admission. A good proving ground, now bring on a stable engine, less hacks and active participation in the long term development of DayZ.

I'm going to wait until those things called "reviews" come out - you know the things that stop you wasting money on shitty games?

Ahh deciding for myself! Brain much hurt...and at half the price we bought ArmaII for...can't stand the value :)

Edited by Trizzo

dont know, at the moment just dont wont to become one of them..in case of this mod/future game some lamer on the hill with as50, or chicken shit player shooting at unarmed players..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGYdSNyUiac

from 51:00

Edited by snowcrAsh42

Why you change from Mod to Standalone(SA) or why not?

I am interrested in why you change or not change and what do you think can be the reasons why people dont switch.

(Yeah, we all dont know what will come in Standalone(SA).)

.............................................................................................................

1.Zombies

Zombies in the Mod, if you lerned how to, are not difficult to handle. The only two things that make them dangerous are the stupid movement and the gift of walking through walls.

If the technical Problems solved then they can be more easy then now.

2.Costum Maps

Panthera & lingor Island are both awesome Maps if they dont playable in the Standalone(SA) then the SA los alot of attractiveness.

firstoff, zombies will RUN in the standalone, even in buildings, making them much harder, and there will be more of them

also, rocket statet that community maps will be possible in the standalone and that they will add more than one map over time

The main reason for me: New engine.

This allows Rocket do all kinds of awesome things that he could not. Improving the melee, ragdoll physics, more realism... I'm not even gonna list everything, way too big list.

And the other good reasons are updated map and new zombies. (Different from the engine thing, but important.)

Edited by Sutinen
  • Like 1

also, the engine wont be just arma2 ripoff, its from Take on Helicopters, which gives us nice volumetric clouds and sky^^

Zombies can be real zombies and not just remodelled pigs with a AoE damage effect around them, providing new ways of pathing possible

The client to server stuff can be fixed, so that dll hooking and general cheating will be harder to do, also the hive system can be optimized to reduce duping through that

And the best of all: We get a new chernarus map with a lot of enterable buildings AND a new inventory system with weigth AND space, which will be just awesome

i have high hopes for the standalone, and from the things gathered in the standalone ideas thread from rocket (especially the stuff about more detailed medical stuff) seems to be way more awesome than all my expectations

Maybe all, maybe neither. ill buy them all, and if I don't see a big change in the stand alone, I might just say f-it. WarZ i will see soon if it will be worthy and at 19 its cheap enough for me to spend and see

Considering how much he has done in his spare time with the mod, I am confident enough to purchas the stand alone when it comes out. Since I don't have time to play two games I will go with the stand alone.

Standalone for sure. Luckily I'll likely be a couple days behind the wave so I can watch vids and streams before forking out the cash but the changes in the scripting is enough of a reason for me. Hopefully they'll open the mod up to the community so we can play with it. While it's not strictly in line with Rockets vision, I honestly want to make custom missions and events in DayZ.

I might be following both but it is hard to say with no standalone to compare the mod to. If the standalone just blows me away I will spend most of my time playing that but on release it will have less map options so the mod might lure me back with community generated patches or maps. I hope the standalone makes me forget about the mod but some of the new maps are pretty fun and if enough people are still playing I could see dropping n once in awhile.

I vote 100% yes. Script kiddies stress me out and im still waiting for my dog to be honest. 1.7.3 i think it was supposed to be, maybe it was here and i missed it?

Can someone tell me if the people who bought arma 2 and stuff still have to buy standalone or will it be free?

The standalone is the biggest hope I've had in a game since BF3, and that was terrible..

The standalone will succeed in my eyes if:

• They keep weapons rare (no duping) and do not remove 50cals, NVG's etc. e.g. all the god loot that makes the game worth it
  • Hackers minimal and suspicious people monitored (by whatever means possible)
  • Don't make the zombies too easy OR too hard (making zombies a royal nightmare every single step of the way wouldn't be a great thing, after all the main way you tend to spot other players is when they're being chased by a million zombies..give the guy a chance before you lee enfield him in the face..)
  • Polish the game continuously until it plays how it should (inevitably glitches and bugs will be seen in alpha, just have to steamroll them out :) This includes releasing a polished game, I hate games that feel rushed, and though Rocket seems to be working on a schedule, I for one would wait longer if it meant seeing better results in the game, if it's good, it will sell no matter when it is released.
  • And most importantly overall, recreate that DayZ feel in every way which attracted people by the masses; especially in the first few months before hacking and duping.

If they do all that, then I will play the standalone, if they can't succeed in the most important parts I'll unfortunately have to play something else, because the mod will forever be a testing ground and rightly maintained less than the standalone.

Can someone tell me if the people who bought arma 2 and stuff still have to buy standalone or will it be free?

It won't be free, but it should be cheap. Predicting it will be £10-15 / $25-30 dollars

I pick the SA. The gameplay outweighs the bugs in my opinion at this point. However if the players remain the same as always (shooting unarmed players on the coast or new spawned in cities, pvp is totally ok, just not killing people that have zero chance of defending themselves) will lead to many people quiting the game altogether. Having the whole gameplay experienced ruined before they even leave the coast. This means that a player with an enfield or makarov shooting another with same gun is fine. But a guy with ghillie suit and as50 killing a noob from 500 meters is just plain senseless.

Edited by AH-Sean

the standalone should just be a good stable solid game.

See Fraggle, this is what i'm concerned about, this 'should' business.I can see Dayz SA being a somewhat more stable version of the mod as it currently is, stable as in a bit more protected from hacking...

...but thats it.

But theres a lot more that needs addressing is DayZ is going to be a good game.

i understand the Devs and communities concerns about hackers, but having heard not much about much else and Rockets rush to release a LOT of things that need redesigning from the ground up look like its going to be left til too late.

things like:

ZOMBIES:

- AI needs improving.

- Pathing needs improving. (inc running through buildings)

- Doors and walls. They are infected not ghosts right?

most importantly

-Spawning system. (its just a flag showing a players location atm.)

LOOT SYSTEM:

- Gear is far to abundant.

- The questionable tactic of 'loot cycling' needs to be sorted. (Why actually play the game and look for stuff when you can just cycle til you score?)

- Spread of loot. (it creates hotspots and bottlenecks for campers to enjoy.)

- Server hopping issues.

Hive Setup:

- Ghosting

- Alt+F4

- Server hopping

All issues caused by the 'persistent character', system needs an overhaul or some changes.

- also map size vs. max number of players. (lots of players sounds great, until you stick 150 people on a 225km map, theres not enough wilderness to go around, it becomes DM due to over population.)

Humanity:

-Skin system is flawed.

-and Clumsy.

- and removes a huge amount of tension.

Duping:

- intentional duping by players.

- Tent bugs.

- skin duping.

- random server glitches causing dupes also.

Theres a fair more more things i'd like to see addressed as well, and these are CORE ISSUES that need to be dealt with before the public Standalone Alpha quite frankly, or the Standalone will suffer hard from these huge factors being addressed.

i love Rockets vision for the game, but the foundations hes building it on in a rush to release aren't strong enough to support that vision currently, In my opinion.

Edited by Never

I pick the SA. The gameplay outweighs the bugs in my opinion at this point. However if the players remain the same as always (shooting unarmed players on the coast or new spawned in cities, pvp is totally ok, just not killing people that have zero chance of defending themselves) will lead to many people quiting the game altogether. Having the whole gameplay experienced ruined before they even leave the coast. This means that a player with an enfield or makarov shooting another with same gun is fine. But a guy with ghillie suit and as50 killing a noob from 500 meters is just plain senseless.

You're basing this on the mod right now, which isn't a realistic thing to do for the standalone. You're getting killed by ghillie as50 snipers from starter spawn areas because finding gear is not rare now, and tonnes of people hack and dupe gear. You really think a guy with a ghillie and a 50 cal on the standalone will risk his character shooting newbies for next to zero reward in main city and starter areas? ;)

I don't. Anyone could easily flank him and kill him, problem is on the mod people don't care much any more.