andrewmont

Snipers aren't a problem. People should stop moaning.

Constantly on the forums you see people complaining about all the snipers in the game. There's been plenty of posts and people advocating that sniper rifles should be removed and to be honest this is quite stupid in my opinion. I definitely think sniping should be made harder which will undoubtedly come with a better hit detection and damage system so a bullet to your toe won't kill you.

Of course you'll get a lot of snipers at the coast in Cherno and Elektro but this is a survival game that takes place in an apocalyptic world so do you really expect anything less but getting shot at if you run into the two biggest cities that are right next to where everyone spawns? I think people forget that there's a massive map with plenty of places for the same and better loot than in the two main cities. The only time I go to Cherno and Elektro is when I spawn and I'll quickly run in to pick up some loot then get the hell out of there and you can avoid the snipers in the city, there's plenty of buildings for cover. Point is if you're going to run into Cherno, Elektro or Stary then you have no reason to complain when someone kills you.

Snipers are really not much of a threat in this game I've came across very few. Only those at Stary, NWAF and the coastal cities. These are places in a real apocalypse you'd expect to find these dangers. If people spread out from the coast then I think they'd find there problem to be gone and it's not like there's a lack of urban areas; Zelenogorsk, Berezino and Krasnostav. Basically if you want to survive spread out from the coast and avoid it at all costs unless you have real good reason for going down there and don't complain when you get sniped at hot spots because it's more than likely it was your fault.

Edit: as for the abundance of military grade weapons yeah they should be made rarer and I'm pretty sure they will be. ATM I think the main reason there's so many is people scripting them in.

Edited by AndrewM
  • Like 4

I've bee playing DayZ for about a week now and have yet to be killed by another player. Except this one time, on my friends private server, he was being a dick so I shot him in the leg with my revolver. He turned and shot me in the face. Other than than, nothing. Been fired upon at least a dozen times but I just stop, drop and roll into the bushes.

I once heard a sniper shot go whizzing by me, thoguth it was a fly and carried on strolling along until a team mate shouted "GET THE FUCK DOWN YOU C*NT!"

Maybes it's newbies luck I dunno, but I don't feel snipers are a "problem."

• Like 1

Sniper rifles shouldn't be removed completely.

Make all those "high end" sniper rifles much, much harder to find and increase the amount of CZ 550 and other more "low-end" sniper rifles.

I find it pretty fucking stupid, that you can easily find a heli crash with a L85 and/or M107/AS50 next to it. Yay, so realistic.

• Like 1

Sniper rifles shouldn't be removed completely.

Make all those "high end" sniper rifles much, much harder to find and increase the amount of CZ 550 and other more "low-end" sniper rifles.

I find it pretty fucking stupid, that you can easily find a heli crash with a L85 and/or M107/AS50 next to it. Yay, so realistic.

If you want realism step outside.

• Like 4

Snipers aren't my issue. A majority of them suck. Not ''stereotyping'' but I guarentee most of them are the consolefags/codfags who bought into the day-z hype and just wanna pvp, so the skill level is non existant half the time. But, If you're truely bothered, join a low pop till you're out the coastal area. I feel more pity for them though, like when I'm a new spawn literally fresh of the beach and they hit me it's like...good job guy. Not even rage, just...what was the point?

OP: I agree with the logic about snipers being a danger in big cities. But the problem that most players feel strongly about is that the game becomes highly unbalanced when a fresh spawn has little choice than to loot Cherno for basic supplies, while some Ghillie'd up bandit with a 50 cal is sitting atop a building sniping anything that moves, with no intention of looting their bodies.

All it does is make the player respawn on a different server, with less players.

Truthfully, being sniped doesn't bother me half as much as it used to. I'm over it now.

It's the perception that many of the so-called snipers are hackers who script in a full set of "goodies" that enrages people. Whether that's true or not.

The real question that needs to be answered is: In a zombie apocalypse, what is a long range sniper rifle for?

Yeah, pull out that card in this kind of discussion. Nice one dude.

You're welcome "dude."

• Like 1

OP: I agree with the logic about snipers being a danger in big cities. But the problem that most players feel strongly about is that the game becomes highly unbalanced when a fresh spawn has little choice than to loot Cherno for basic supplies, while some Ghillie'd up bandit with a 50 cal is sitting atop a building sniping anything that moves, with no intention of looting their bodies.

But they have plenty of choice other than looting Cherno or Elektro. Yeah some of them will script in their gear but this happens across the mod and even if they do, point is, they don't pose a problem if you don't go in their killing fields.

• Like 1

...point is, they don't pose a problem if you don't go in their killing fields.

This is where the real crux of the problem lies. "Their killing fields". It suggests we've given ownership to bad boys.

I accept that snipers will claim "sniper hill" as their vantage point. Noobs won't know what hit them though.

The game is all about immersion, or should be. Where is the immersion when you're dead after 2 minutes of sneaking into a city looking for beans?

And the question still needs to be answered: In a zombie apocalypse, what is a long range sniper rifle for?

• Like 1

This is where the real crux of the problem lies. "Their killing fields". It suggests we've given ownership to bad boys.

The game is all about immersion, or should be. Where is the immersion when you're dead after 2 minutes of sneaking into a city looking for beans?

The immersion is that you just went into a city during an apocalypse with no equipment or weapons. Dying is probable. Would you walk into a land with no law where people are trying to survive and not expect danger?

As for the rifle question, it would be used for hunting, scouting and killing.

• Like 2

Cherno/Elektro is the easierest place to find loot and get sniped.

Perfect balance imo.

The immersion is that you just went into a city during an apocalypse with no equipment or weapons. Dying is probable. Would you walk into a land with no law where people are trying to survive and not expect danger?

As for the rifle question, it would be used for hunting, scouting and killing.

I would expect lots of danger, yes. In terms of gameplay and adrenaline rush, I'm suggesting a model where long range uber-killing is removed or limited, and a more short-to-medium-range combat initiative is used.

I'm not even concerned with fairness. The world is unfair. Get over it peeps.

I'm talking about game mechanics that allow a player to feel the threat of danger without it ending their gameplay after two minutes.

I learned the hard way (5 months) that snipers are gonna snipe. Griefers are gonna grief. Hackers are gonna hack.

My comments are weighted somewhat towards the standalone I suppose. I just want to see a more balanced game -- still with a very real danger of death for careless behavior.

And you don't need a long range sniper rifle for hunting or scouting. Killing, yes. But not the former two.

As it stands, the current high end weapons just leave it open for massive amounts of unbalanced griefing.

A Winchester is a one-shot zombie kill weapon. Why do we need AS50's and M107's etc?

Edited by Hatchet_Man

It's the perception that many of the so-called snipers are hackers who script in a full set of "goodies" that enrages people. Whether that's true or not.

More than half of the Elektro sniper hill AS-50 wookies I've taken out had GPS, Rangefinder and NVGs!

I've been playing for a fair while, and I've found a legit rangefinder in the barracks one time.

All the other "rare" tools, just get them off a "sniper" if you need them.

Either I'm just the least lucky player on the face of the earth, or they're using scripted in and duped gear.

Thank fuck most of them couldn't hit a cow in the arse with a banjo.

I would expect lots of danger, yes. In terms of gameplay and adrenaline rush, I'm suggesting a model where long range uber-killing is removed or limited, and a more short-to-medium-range combat initiative is used.

My comments are weighted somewhat towards the standalone I suppose. I just want to see a more balanced game -- still with a very real real danger of death for careless behavior.

And you don't need a long range sniper rifle for hunting or scouting. Killing, yes. But not the former two.

As it stands, the current high end weapons just leave it open for massive amounts of unbalanced griefing.

A Winchester is a one-shot zombie kill weapon. Why do we need AS50's and M107's etc?

You don't need a long range rifle at all nor do you need military weapons but they exist and they are there. They should be rarer but until these things will be fixed in the standalone many problems related to it will exist. The point of this game is make your story, snipers aren't a problem outside the cities and so complaining about them is silly as theyre easily avoided. You shouldn't be restricted in this game but things should be realistically hard. To take out long range combat is to restrict people's choice for no good reason.

I hope the SA makes all high end weapons inc Sniper rifles at chopper sites damaged. Do you know how much of a pain in the arse it is to Zero a weapon? It is not realistic to pick one up and just have precision every time. Running around falling all over and bumping into trees with no degredation to weapons?

First find the weapon, Repair / maintain weapons and then use weapons always looking after them and Making sure they are useable all vhe time you have it on your body.

Some of those facts will deter the non serious users of Sniper rifles.

More than half of the Elektro sniper hill AS-50 wookies I've taken out had GPS, Rangefinder and NVGs!

I've been playing for a fair while, and I've found a legit rangefinder in the barracks one time.

All the other "rare" tools, just get them off a "sniper" if you need them.

Either I'm just the least lucky player on the face of the earth, or they're using scripted in and duped gear.

Thank fuck most of them couldn't hit a cow in the arse with a banjo.

Wise words Chabowski.

I think it boils down to the fact that players despise other players who have not EARNED the gear they possess. If I get shot in the ass with a Winchester or Makarov, then fair play. The other guy probably snuck up on me, and I should've been more observant.

It's these "Level 50" bored sniper Johnnies with obvious dupes, killing for no reason that causes player rage.

If you limit the high end gear, it makes players try harder.

No one ever got anywhere from not trying, Apart from a zombie apocalypse survival simulator it seems...

:-\

We are playing on a couple of hundred miles sized map, and you want to limit weapons to "short-to-medium" range? Joking?

You don't need a long range rifle at all nor do you need military weapons but they exist and they are there. They should be rarer but until these things will be fixed in the standalone many problems related to it will exist. The point of this game is make your story, snipers aren't a problem outside the cities and so complaining about them is silly as theyre easily avoided. You shouldn't be restricted in this game but things should be realistically hard. To take out long range combat is to restrict people's choice for no good reason.

As you say, and as it's been said by Rocket and many others, it's about making your own story.

Sniping randomly from rooftops is not a great story.

Stealthing your way through a bandit infested city while being "sniped at" is a far better story imo.

I guess you can't have one without the other, but the gameplay has to be more balanced.

Maybe the solution is to make long range weapons more difficult to use, or inaccurate at long range. Defeats the purpose of calling it a long range weapon, but it allows the player at the receiving end to "have a story to tell". That's my point.

Give them the thrill of being shot at, maybe injured, and allow them a chance to bandage and get the hell outta here and back to Kamenka or wherever. But these instakill weapons are just gonna cause debates as long as they are in the game.

It just smacks too much of ARMA2 really. At least in that game you know you have missions where you start the game loaded up and expect snipers, but you have a team with you.

DayZ is so far from that, that it should be considered apart from ARMA2 now.

Time to let our baby go and be what it's meant to be I say.

I find that it's not so much the sniper rifles themselves that I find the annoying part, more or less the L85 with the thermal that can spot a boar 5 miles away in mid-day. That's the real killer, in my opinion.

And for up-ing the difficulty of a sniper rifle, why not. All the components are there (more or less) in the actual game to some what easily transferred to the mod. I much rather have one hell of a shot sniper in the mountains above cherno take shots at me/killing me, than rather 2-3 snipers missing me because they can not range a target... :rolleyes:

As you say, and as it's been said by Rocket and many others, it's about making your own story.

Sniping randomly from rooftops is not a great story.

Stealthing your way through a bandit infested city while being "sniped at" is a far better story imo.

I guess you can't have one without the other, but the gameplay has to be more balanced.

Maybe the solution is to make long range weapons more difficult to use, or inaccurate at long range. Defeats the purpose of calling it a long range weapon, but it allows the player at the receiving end to "have a story to tell". That's my point.

Give them the thrill of being shot at, maybe injured, and allow them a chance to bandage and get the hell outta here and back to Kamenka or wherever. But these instakill weapons are just gonna cause debates as long as they are in the game.

It just smacks too much of ARMA2 really. At least in that game you know you have missions where you start the game loaded up and expect snipers, but you have a team with you.

DayZ is so far from that, that it should be considered apart from ARMA2 now.

Time to let our baby go and be what it's meant to be I say.

I VERY rarely encounter snipers that can hit at all. As preferred earlier, if you don't want to be sniped, don't go to sniper's nest. In a real apocalypse, I would easily snipe anyone I see if I find them being a possible danger, oh well, maybe because I have problems trusting people overall. Making snipers inaccurate at long range takes a lot of the danger out of the game. It would be really boring to sit with a couple of binocs in a bush, scouting out a city to find out there are no zombies down there, for then to run down and don't worry about anything because apparently the snipers got bad accuracy. Beside, bullet drop makes it hard to hit moving targets at a decent range anyways, unless those moving targets are crawling.

We are playing on a couple of hundred miles sized map, and you want to limit weapons to "short-to-medium" range? Joking?

Not joking.

It's a 13km x 13km map, yes. And the way you say it sounds like my comment is unfounded.

But how much of the map do you use at one time?

When you're scouting / scavenging / exploring?

Very little. Maybe you are only looking about 100m around you. Maybe more if you are actively looking for someone who shot at you from afar.

My point all along is that most of the best stories from players, i.e. the ones that get uploaded on YouTube are the backyard gunfights or hatchet wars with desperate players.

How many times have we seen footage of high end snipers sniping players only to see masses of negative feedback in the comments?

I'm just the messenger here. The video evidence speaks for itself.

I like a good shoot out. Don't get me wrong. It's intense. It's dramatic. Conflict is cool.

But the long range random shootings have had their day.

Time for more brutal interaction I say. Or maybe the snipers are just too afraid to get in close and personal?

Maybe instead of cryin "OMG SNIPA!" Do something about it. Some of the easiest kills in game are snipers. If you have some satchel charges or a M203 get creative and have a BLAST! I don't understand the constent crying here. I learned early on how to combat them. (Unless they are truly skilled) They are cake to kill or make Alt+F4. No need to complain start a group up or learn to be sneeky and solve it.