xdarc

And so it slowly dawns on me... Dayz sucks.

I've been playing a couple weeks, but tonight I think I'm done and before I'd go, I'd like to tell you a little bit about why.

The first few days I started playing, my main concern was zombies. Zombie mod, right? Well after a few days I learned that zombies were just a minor annoyance. They can never catch you if you keep running and all you have to do is learn which buildings have two entries/exits and zombies will never bother you again aside from their annoying screaching. So then it became about loot. For a few more days I stuck to low-population servers (meeting hackers early on) and just ran around collecting junk. This quickly gets boring.

So after finding some decent stuff I try heading into some busier servers, but very quickly see the disadvantages of playing on a non-private hive. People just server hop into great sniper positions, grab a few kills, and bail when threatened- hoping each time that his next leap, will be the leap home... or some such thing. Seems silly. Like 80's TV show silly. So I switch over to a private hive after my first week.

So I figure this is great, you can't just pop in with awesome stuff and start picking people off. The first thing I notice is that on some of these servers there is a lot less sniper activity and more of a new spawn cherno death match thing going on. But then the flaws in the way combat works in this game really start to show. It's all about sitting and waiting, even in fights without sniper rifles- which I avoid at all costs. I never understood why someone would play a wonderful 3D game with all this room to move and shoot, and just want to sit there staring out through a scope; essentially reducing years of progress to a cheap animated flash ad in which you click the moving object to win a prize. But then again, I'm 30 and I don't understand a lot of things about the boring, campy shooters these days; made to work best on the couch, shuffling thumbsticks around, with one hand free to stuff your face with food.

So yes, sitting and waiting. I quickly learned it is very difficult to cut doors while straffing and when someone took shots at me I would just run into a building and wait towards the end of a hallway. If the person didn't lean out, I'd shoot them before they could even turn to point at me. This of course only worked if it wasn't an AS50 with infinite ammo, thanks to the magical log in fairy, because no matter how well you dance- they only need to get to get close enough with it to scare your character to death apparetly. Plus they never come down. If they are on a private hive and they got that AS50 legit, they are not coming down.

So your only choice is to log, sneak away, or get a sniper rifle and start drooling on yourself and sit and wait. It's at that point you remember you only tried this game out because it was a zombie mod, which you do not even find yourself concerned with zombies at that point- and you realize you're playing a very boring, sniper infested shooter with horrible everything and black ops 2: zombies is only a month away. I've played my share of bad PvP games, I was on Ultimate Online's Great Lakes server in 1998- but this is bad even by standards from 14 years ago.

So that was my 2 weeks in DayZ. : )

• Like 10

my 2 weeks in DayZ

The basic rule is don't stay still long enough to get picked off by a camper, you know they're only camping because they can't shoot for shit.

Sad to see another player go, but since you're already looking toward Black Ops I won't miss ya too much ^_^

Hope you didn't just buy ArmA 2 for DayZ! That would suck balls!

I can't peel myself away from it. Bugs and all, It's all gravy in my book.

• Like 5

After a few months of playing dayz I found out how to really play and enjoy dayz. Don't give two fucks about what happens to your character. Don't even give one fuck; just let the good times roll. Grab a weapon grab a friend and grab some beans and do whatever you feel like. If you die, it's not the end of the world because you get to enjoy looting all over again.

• Like 19

Grab a weapon grab a friend and grab some beans and do whatever you feel like. If you die, it's not the end of the world because you get to enjoy looting all over again.

The problem is that once you've been playing a while you can gear yourself in half an hour, once you're geared there's nothing to do except murder people. It's not even remotely close to a real sandbox because there are no tools, it's about as much a sandbox as any other game ever invented.

Edited by Nekosan
  • Like 3

ALPHA. nuff' said. once standalone comes out, hell, when the full game comes out these problems will be fixed.

1. hackers will be fixed, so will spawn killers and campers. they will likely get banned from doing repeditive actions. look at PlanetSide 2 for example, they have a system where if someone is doing the same unfair thing over and over and over again they will be kicked off the server or something, and PS2 also has 24/7 protection with this.

2. zombies will be overhauled at standalone, they will be less predictable will travel in herds EVERYWHERE randomly, can throw up on you to give you infections, and there will be a randomised system, for example there will not be "hot spots" for zombies for spawning, it will be random. also, the ability to tell if someone is in an area (for example, if you are a huge distance away from a town and there are zs at that town, it shows that there are people there, but if there are no zs there, there are no people there) will be removed, meaning that no matter how far away you are from a town, there will ALWAYS be z's there (it could also vary with randomised spawning). z's will not spawn in sight of people. basically, zombie encounters will be as random and nearly as dangerous as encountering other players.

3. for loot, i think in standalone that on low populated servers there will be siginificantly less loot than populated servers, meaning that you would have to stick to the danger of populated servers, thus keeping the intensity of dayz without cheating and going on low populated servers.

basically all of your gripes on Dayz will be fixed in the near future.

and ALPHA IS GOD DAMN ALPHA.

oh and BLOPSII?

bitch please, don't get me started on that piece of shit series.

Edited by camycamera
  • Like 4

So you haven't joyridden in a heli, jumped an atv, rolled into a town in a car with a bunch of people and lit up all of the zeds, front wheeled down a hill on a bicycle, pbx'd around the coast and been shot at, swum to skalisty, been involved in nw airfield shootouts, stalked a clan or group of surviviors or even a loner, been stalked, had a campfire and shot the shit over direct with a bunch or randoms, hooked up with randoms and looked out for each other, chased rabbits and tried hacking them to death for shits and giggles, hatchet fought with a mad axeman in the middle of nowhere, set up beartraps and watched the results, got a zed train on and run around chasing fresh spawns/led it into known sniper locations, flarelit up cherno or elektro and watched everyone peer out of windows ? Thats about the tip of the iceberg. My sniper deaths are so low as to not really factor into my death list, you are playing at least vet servers and no 3dp if you can ?

• Like 19

Stop going to Elektro and Cherno and complaining about getting sniped.

• Like 5

So you haven't joyridden in a heli, jumped an atv, rolled into a town in a car with a bunch of people and lit up all of the zeds, front wheeled down a hill on a bicycle, pbx'd around the coast and been shot at, swum to skalisty, been involved in nw airfield shootouts, stalked a clan or group of surviviors or even a loner, been stalked, had a campfire and shot the shit over direct with a bunch or randoms, hooked up with randoms and looked out for each other, chased rabbits and tried hacking them to death for shits and giggles, hatchet fought with a mad axeman in the middle of nowhere, set up beartraps and watched the results, got a zed train on and run around chasing fresh spawns/led it into known sniper locations, flarelit up cherno or elektro and watched everyone peer out of windows ? Thats about the tip of the iceberg. My sniper deaths are so low as to not really factor into my death list, you are playing at least vet servers and no 3dp if you can ?

These...moments. Only in DayZ.

once you're geared there's nothing to do except murder people.

I didn't catch that memo, where was it written that once you geared you had to go shoot people? You can't find a vehicle or hook up with randoms for shits and giggles?

Your 30, hangout in cherno and cry about being shot by a 12 yr old who cant figure out the WASD keys. Feel sorry for you.

Last time i checked dudes with 50 cals didnt run around too much. Like, this is game has 4 letters not 3?

• Like 1

i agree with some of the sentiments of the OP. I think this game has a really cool forumula that hopefully companies like bethesda will rip off of and make a game like this set in the fallout universe where its actually hard to surive and be a consistant world in which multiplayer can get down, + quests n such.

but untill then we have to deal with this. To me this games genre is in its infancy theres some really cool stealable ideas this game has and its only a matter of time till some other company makes it great.

i also played ultima online i was on one of the german shards, tho when i was playin it i didnt have a fkin clue what i was doin, id just get lost in the forest lol and get raped by a lizardman.

this game lacks the force to drive the player to do something that isnt PvP, as its a sandbox game, except theres no sand just a mass of players on a lifeless map that spawns zombies without any goals except to, kill other players or log off from sheer boredom.

the game requires some aspect that will motivate the player to do or achieve something other than repairing vehicles to horde in a forest or shooting people on a hill in elektro

I did my first game of sniper hill today, i got this probably hacked in guy as50TWS it was pretty enjoyable tbh.

Edited by electroban
  • Like 2

So I figure this is great, you can't just pop in with awesome stuff and start picking people off. The first thing I notice is that on some of these servers there is a lot less sniper activity and more of a new spawn cherno death match thing going on. But then the flaws in the way combat works in this game really start to show. It's all about sitting and waiting, even in fights without sniper rifles- which I avoid at all costs. I never understood why someone would play a wonderful 3D game with all this room to move and shoot, and just want to sit there staring out through a scope; essentially reducing years of progress to a cheap animated flash ad in which you click the moving object to win a prize. But then again, I'm 30 and I don't understand a lot of things about the boring, campy shooters these days; made to work best on the couch, shuffling thumbsticks around, with one hand free to stuff your face with food.

So yes, sitting and waiting. I quickly learned it is very difficult to cut doors while straffing and when someone took shots at me I would just run into a building and wait towards the end of a hallway. If the person didn't lean out, I'd shoot them before they could even turn to point at me. This of course only worked if it wasn't an AS50 with infinite ammo, thanks to the magical log in fairy, because no matter how well you dance- they only need to get to get close enough with it to scare your character to death apparetly. Plus they never come down. If they are on a private hive and they got that AS50 legit, they are not coming down.

So your only choice is to log, sneak away, or get a sniper rifle and start drooling on yourself and sit and wait. It's at that point you remember you only tried this game out because it was a zombie mod, which you do not even find yourself concerned with zombies at that point- and you realize you're playing a very boring, sniper infested shooter with horrible everything and black ops 2: zombies is only a month away. I've played my share of bad PvP games, I was on Ultimate Online's Great Lakes server in 1998- but this is bad even by standards from 14 years ago.

So that was my 2 weeks in DayZ. : )

Your wrong about the PvP. Im a bandit and I kill around 8-10 players on average every night. I move around and try to seek out people. The thing about the mechanics with PvP is because you have moved around alot your aim is off, just like it would be in a real firefight. Their aim is often not, so they are at an advantage. In these situations take cover a regather your breath. Then kill them.

WIth snipers, most of them are dealt with easily. I agree the AS50 is somewhat BS, but its all about closing the distance and making the situation in your favor. Use the terrain, close the gap, keep cover and wait for them to make the mistake. Use suppressive fire if needed.

The PvP is more realistic in this game than any other FPS I have ever played and I say that as a former soldier in the Infantry.

• Like 1

i agree. op makes a few valid points, and some invalid points, but it's an alpha, and hopefully the developers are learning from it and will release an improved standalone, which will continue to get improved upon.

And I liked his Quantum Leap reference.

you obsessed yourself about the bad of the game, I'm guessing an excessive reading of forums has this side effect, because most of the issues you listed I wouldn't even have them bother me, if it was not because I read a rant on the forums.

In one week's time you went from playing the vanilla dayz to go to private hives looking for something I, with 3 months and almost 200 hours clocked on arma 2 exclusively on dayz am mot still looking for (heck, the only map I've played so far is chernarus)

You seem to be nitpicky about the combat, fact is, it's based on arma 2's combat, and no, it's not always about camping, it's about camping in the right spot, it's the difference between mindlessly shooting on a flash ad (btw this remark you made is making me think you're a troll....) and forcing a flash add targets to line up for you to take them down as easily and effortlessly as possible

btw this remark you made is making me think you're a troll....)

You just gunna sit there and take that?

• Like 1

Well when the following happens:

-Zombie AI gets over hauled

-Hacking gets locked out more

-Setting up more permanent like bases

-ID indicators for your friends/party members

-More items

-More locations to explore

-Updated mechanics in general

Then things should get WAY more interesting.

• Like 1

OP made decent point regards to public hives, in that most people are already in a decent position before joining the server they sniped you in. How will rocket fix that? It's not too often to see people even in a 60/60 server in cherno, for extended periods, due to that. Still, "camping" is realistic to say running and gunning games. And I don't see the connection with gamepads (thumbs/couch thing.) I'm of a similar age and started my PvPs in Delta Force & Spec Ops, way back. This is the most realistic game I ever played in terms of combat due in part to the camping. On which note, it seems that Delta Force was the only ever game of the same genre to meet the scale of Arma and it was oh so long ago. They used different gfx for that tho, which is how it was possible - not pixels or something? As OP might remember, there was a SHIT load of camping and sniping from mountains in Delta Force too, in spite of its huge scale.

I hope that the sniper play-style tho is cut down for standalone. As far as I know, rocket is increasing primitive weapons and scaling military weapons right back. This might still mean the same thing happens with a cz550 if that is left in. But also if duping is fixed, they have to find the ammo for it and thus run around (although on an empty server..)

Edited by GoodGrief

OP obviously hasn't reached end-game in DayZ. That's where the fun begins.

• Like 1

It is not a bad post but i think the op is missing out on a lot of other things the game has to offer and has really not even scratched the surface before coming to his conclusion that the game sucks.

How do you compare it other fps games online such as cod or bf3 ? Not a rag on those games but i am just wondering :) Also wondering if he has every teamed up in dayz and played with a decent group that does not have a kos mindset.

• Like 2

OP makes us mature gamers look like grumpy old farts who can't stand to be shot! Its. A. Shooter. If you don't want to get shoot, play another genre. With zombies sure you can avoid them easily, but I bet you still found yourself eaten or killed by the randomest thing. DayZ is one of those games that is different depending on how you play. So change what you do if you're bored.

Oh and so what, you played back in the 90's, when video games were shit, congrats to you sir, we all know gaming and the internet back then was utter shit.

• Like 2

Oh and so what, you played back in the 90's, when video games were shit, congrats to you sir, we all know gaming and the internet back then was utter shit.

Just fucking no. The current gens are fucking retarded Call of Duty + Halo franchises are fucking flatout retardedly bad. 90s games has some seriously innovation and ingenuity. The current AAA games are just repeats of the same game over and over and over again. Next Gen graphics sure, but the content is completely shite.

I mean why do you think they resurrect old 90s franchises like Fallout etc? Cos there the fucking bizzle, and most IPs nowadays are trash.

Anyways your post gets the award for biggest fuktarded statement I've read in sometime.

• Like 6

OP makes us mature gamers look like grumpy old farts who can't stand to be shot! Its. A. Shooter. If you don't want to get shoot, play another genre. With zombies sure you can avoid them easily, but I bet you still found yourself eaten or killed by the randomest thing. DayZ is one of those games that is different depending on how you play. So change what you do if you're bored.

I was with ya until the games and internet was shit in the 90's! I disagree, the hardware sucked yes, but I miss free shit, privacy, and Alta vista!! (ok I don't miss Alta vista) Games had a different feel to them and I miss it. Not saying I hate the current games its just they aren't the same. (probably waxing nostalgia tho)

Zzzzzz this thread did not deliver

To the OP. Its about making your own fun, not bitching and crying that you are leaving. These threads have gotten old