Mysticales

Week 3 Ivan and Martin arrested. Show them you care

Even if they took pictures about some secret objects, I don't think they did it to spy, police should confiscate all of the pictures/videos if there any and release them...

And all those people here who shout that they didn't knew and they wasn't spying etc. how can you be so sure?

No one said how they got arrested and where, this is tourist island and I didn't heard any stories about spying tourists until now, so I guess they did something...

I am not against them but I also don't know what goes on there as I am simple man living digital life and all I know is what I read about it and nothing more :|

will sign, hope it will help.

Actually, they don't.

It's not the first time this has happened in greece, and i'm pretty sure (could be wrong as I can't recall the article word by word) at least one of those times there was convictions. Not the 20 years they are talking about in this case, but 1-3 years for a couple of people visiting Greece.

What I don't get is, shouldn't they have asked for a permit to capture said pictures? Meaning it's a military instalation so there will be always suspition, but since it's a formal data gathering for a company shouldn't they require some kind of authorization from the Greek government to capture said data?

Don't be ridiculous.

Try to have a barbecue, only to have a random guy just climb the wall and take a picture of your naked wife or daughter and spread it all over the internet and your neighbours, and the we'll see if you would take that so lightly as you are taking it now....

And besides, that comparison does even make any effin' sense.

Think you need to chill out chap - it was just a joke

Don't take everything people say so seriously

To resume what information is available and to avoid further rumours:

• Ivan Buchta and Martin Pezlar are BIS employees who went on a private holiday trip to visit the island of Limnos due their interest which emerged from working on the game and the island for such a long time.

• They were arrested by local police at their hotel.

• They did not gain entrance to any prohibited military facilities

• The evidence which is held against them are not photos of secret military bases to be used as reference for Arma 3 but 14 snapshots of a video which they took out of the window of a driving car. They were driving on a public street next to the Limnos airport.

• Initally, they passed a first sign which stated that photographing and filming is prohibited but they did not see it. As soon as a second sign was visible on the tape, the recording had stopped.

• They are now accused of possessing material, that can endanger the national security of Greece and still spend day after day, night after night in prison

---------------------------------------- My friends are in prison / Help Ivan & Martin -----------------------------------

1. Send a twitter message to the Prime Minister of Greece (@primeministergr) letting him know we want Ivan and Martin returned to their families immediately. This is probably one of the most public and obvious things you can do to help. Social Media works.

2. Call, write, or visit your nearest Greek Embassy (click the link for a list). Let them know what they have done is wrong, and that you want them released. Be civil, but be honest. We don’t stand for this in the part of the world I come from.

3. Spread the word, let everyone know. Please forward my post on, and these links, to anyone who might be able to help. For more information you can visit my friends website at http://www.helpivanmartin.org/ and spread the facebook page

4. Let the local press on the island know what you think on their facebook page, and their twitter @LesvosNet. Read some of the comments on this article for an idea of what is going on. Let’s end it exactly where it all started in the first place!

Edited by PurePassion

Ignorance of the sign stating no photography is no defense, infact ignorance is no defence at all, it's common knowledge about Greek policy on this & has been for years, a little time in Greek jail will help them develop the buildings skins for the game now ;)

• Like 1

Are the Greek authorities even aware that their actions are a dead giveaway to the real foreign spies that there is something really valuable or important on that island. Because if there isn't at least a nuclear silo, this is a serious overreaction...

Hell, even google earth is a bigger threat than a shitty video filmed by hand in a moving vehicle kilometers away...

• Like 2

I'm a long time OPF/ARMA fan and was planning to visit Lemnos this year in advance of the Arma3 release. I chose not to, but just because I wanted to visit RL Chernarus before and did so in this august (Recommend to the max). Glad. Because I in the particular Czech area I did a lot of photographing and hiking - had I done that on Lemnos ...bloody hell.

I signed, but I believe it will have little effect though. I have little faith in such attempts.

I'll try to see if I can contact our local Greece representative. I'm from Estonia, a small country - usually we can here easily access high level politicians. I'll try contacting Polydore Kokonas - the Greek embassador here. Seems likely to have the biggest impact I could make.

Maybe there won't be any effect because I will be ignored. Rather likely, but still - an effort I shall make.

• Like 1

As a Greek i will strongly adviced moderation to erase many hostile and offensive comments made on Greece

I guess if i was in USA or Germany or Britain and filmed military locations and General infrastructure that in a military zone i would at least got arrested

Also in many countries filming in public for trademark reasons is something that must be approved from local authorities

IF THEY BROKE THE LAW IF THEY HAVE WHAT GREEK MEDIA SAYS THEN ITS TURN OF COURT to judge and not 15 years old to express they disconfort cause they will lose their arma 3 for a little time

And i would advice people posting not mix reality with games

Posters are full of IGNORANCE IMMATURITY IGNORANCE

Edited by IoannisG

Guess no one here has ever been on a US military base. They have the same strict rules, especially on their over seas base. A joint US/Italian base had very strict rules on NO video cameras or photography and if you broke that rule on the Italian side of the base, you were SOL and had to deal with the Italian laws, end of story. It was very common knowledge over there so I'm assuming if these guys had looked up on the place before hand they'd know the rules about photography.

On a personal vacation or working you always should know the general laws of the country you are in and keep track of any signs ESPECIALLY near airports and military sites. You are bound by the laws while you are in that country short of your government getting involved to bail you out. Ignorance of the law is no excuse anywhere. You can't say you didn't know it was against the law to steal that car and expect to be let go, just doesn't work that way.

Best of luck to these 2 guys, but an internet petition really isn't going to do anything. Their government(s) will have to get involved to get them out of spending time in jail if found guilty.

maybe if they released updates faster than one per month they wouldn't be in jail. Karma's a Bitch!

You are an ignorant ass. What is wrong with you.

• Like 2

My prediction: Pay up to release them and one step closer to financial stability.

Idiot, they were breaking no rules, you are allowed to take photos, and even if they were suspicious, the devs had a good reason, they are working on the most realistic military simulation game that greece itself uses for running training programs, as do other countries, so they were doing nothing wrong.

what? look at what you posted they themselves say they weren't taking photo's for the game. And why the fuck would greece (let alone any country) give a fuck about Arma 3.

I feel for the guys and i highly doubt that there was any intentional wrong doing but they fucked up (20 years is very harsh for a mistake though). i think Greece still has conscription and any country that does that takes there military very serious. and arent they on the verge of war with turkey since the turks took ciprius (or whatever that island is called) i think in 1996 was the last time they had contact (military wise). a greek plane shot down a turkish plane i think. You gotta take this shit into effect when you think why have the greeks came down so hard on these two fellas. i should say if they did take photos of anything miltary wise in australia (i think since september 11 u cant photograph sydney airport could be wrong though) i would say throw the book at em.

all that a side i hope it works out for them.

Edited by DMC14

Are the Greek authorities even aware that their actions are a dead giveaway to the real foreign spies that there is something really valuable or important on that island. Because if there isn't at least a nuclear silo, this is a serious overreaction...

Hell, even google earth is a bigger threat than a shitty video filmed by hand in a moving vehicle kilometers away...

Not necessarily maybe they just dont want foreign powers to know the exact location of bases and shite. or how many planes are kept at that airport and so on. use your brains these people (the greek powers that be) have more to worry about then some game. and i doubt that google earth shows the military bases, but i havent looked.

Retweeted Rockets tweet. Hope this gets sorted soon.

I just wrote an email to the Greek embassy in Berlin, twittered the PM and signed the petition :-)

However, I noticed that the FB linkin rocket's tumblr post links to the FB page of Lesvos (or Lesbos) and not Lemnos. Are we accusing the wrong guys or are the autorities of Lesvos responsible for Lemnos as well?

can you do me the same i will visit berlin again in Deceember and i am thinking Taking photoes inside Merkel toilet so if i get arrested can you do something similar

Lol dude you know you are making a fuss over people that stupidly broke the laws of a foreign country i really like if they done something similar in Germany if you made similar fuss

Edited by IoannisG

Does the Greece government even have enough money left to keep up a military OR even prisons? They're broke like shit and in the name of the security of our currency, the €uro, to save money especially, they should release the two captives ASAP! Or ... Czech Republic stops paying any money to Greece, frickin' gangsters down there. First they take your money, then your employees.

warning this is entirely my own opinion formed on 20 years of shenanigans

I guess if i was in USA or Germany or Britain and filmed military locations and General infrastructure that in a military zone i would at least got arrested

No you wouldn't certainly not in the UK, I've done it countless times, because in the UK you are legally allowed to video things in a public place. The road passing the bases are all public places.

I also remember as a small child going for a holiday in Yorkshire (part of the UK), my mum decided to take me to see the Radar domes located at RAF Fylingdales, so her idea was to get as close as possible, so we drove down a road that had countless signs that said please turn back, trespassers will be arrested etc etc. But we kept going, until we reached a guard post with a chap with a gun, who told us to turn around and sod off.

I took pictures at BAE systems Heapy site (4 bunkers in the side of a hill, unmanned, supposedly abandoned and rumour has it that it contains some of Britain's strategic reserve). Only for 15 armed police officers to rock up in vans within 5-10 mins, ask me what did I think I was doing and then gave me a lift back to the police station and let me go. BECAUSE I HADN'T DONE ANYTHING WRONG. PS They were awfully top blokes, speaking with them on the way home and I apologise for interrupting their lunch break.

If it is that strategically important, it should be guarded, out of sight and protected. Now if two blokes in a car on the way back from an airport with a video camera can compromise your national security, I'd fire your General's.

Even in the US, when I was on a college trip to DC and very loudly playing spot the marksman on the roof of the White House, I wasn't arrested or warned.

It more falls down to common sense policing in my opinion, the police at Heapy, weren't going to arrest me because I hadn't done anything wrong. It is common sense that if someone can see it, it will be photographed.

The marksmen at the White House, everyone knows they are there, but they have high power rifles, they are there as a deterrent and a stopping force if there is a genuine threat.

But back onto your point, if the British Government don't want you to take pictures of something there is a solid fence that means you can't see over it, plus armed guards patrolling and it's in the middle of nowhere. Even the British Govt are more sensible than hiding the latest model of the Up diddly up-flying-chaps-super-jet-fighter on a car park in Slough because they don't want people to take pictures of it.

So no I can categorically state out of experience that taking pictures of British Military bases does not land you in Prison and charged a spy.

• Like 5

*signed*

tho i dont think it will help anything.

f***ing greece b****rds and their corrupted police and goverment, wasting billions and billions of our (mine) hard earned money, and thats what they do with the money?

my hate and anger for them grows daily.

Edited by helpful_bear
  • Like 1

Does the Greece government even have enough money left to keep up a military OR even prisons? They're broke like shit and in the name of the security of our currency, the €uro, to save money especially, they should release the two captives ASAP! Or ... Czech Republic stops paying any money to Greece, frickin' gangsters down there. First they take your money, then your employees.

Only a shit knows to recognise an other shit

warning this is entirely my own opinion formed on 20 years of shenanigans

No you wouldn't certainly not in the UK, I've done it countless times, because in the UK you are legally allowed to video things in a public place. The road passing the bases are all public places.

I also remember as a small child going for a holiday in Yorkshire (part of the UK), my mum decided to take me to see the Radar domes located at RAF Fylingdales, so her idea was to get as close as possible, so we drove down a road that had countless signs that said please turn back, trespassers will be arrested etc etc. But we kept going, until we reached a guard post with a chap with a gun, who told us to turn around and sod off.

I took pictures at BAE systems Heapy site (4 bunkers in the side of a hill, unmanned, supposedly abandoned and rumour has it that it contains some of Britain's strategic reserve). Only for 15 armed police officers to rock up in vans within 5-10 mins, ask me what did I think I was doing and then gave me a lift back to the police station and let me go. BECAUSE I HADN'T DONE ANYTHING WRONG. PS They were awfully top blokes, speaking with them on the way home and I apologise for interrupting their lunch break.

If it is that strategically important, it should be guarded, out of sight and protected. Now if two blokes in a car on the way back from an airport with a video camera can compromise your national security, I'd fire your General's.

Even in the US, when I was on a college trip to DC and very loudly playing spot the marksman on the roof of the White House, I wasn't arrested or warned.

It more falls down to common sense policing in my opinion, the police at Heapy, weren't going to arrest me because I hadn't done anything wrong. It is common sense that if someone can see it, it will be photographed.

The marksmen at the White House, everyone knows they are there, but they have high power rifles, they are there as a deterrent and a stopping force if there is a genuine threat.

But back onto your point, if the British Government don't want you to take pictures of something there is a solid fence that means you can't see over it, plus armed guards patrolling and it's in the middle of nowhere. Even the British Govt are more sensible than hiding the latest model of the Up diddly up-flying-chaps-super-jet-fighter on a car park in Slough because they don't want people to take pictures of it.

So no I can categorically state out of experience that taking pictures of British Military bases does not land you in Prison and charged a spy.

a pile of nonsense my friend

I have been in militairy base of Britain in Cyprus its exactly the same all your points are weak a fence cannot stop a camera from shooting how many times or how many Fighter land or leave

Plus the photo were taken in a militairy hot zone that has constant dogfights it isnt BRITAIN wait is KATE MIDDLETON BOOBS A BRITISH BASE CAUSE YOU BAN BOON PHOTOS TOO

Guess what the signs say below in A militairy base in of Britain in CYPRUS

http://www.defence-p...ish_bases_2.jpg

UN CYPRUS BUFFER ZONE SIGN

http://fineartameric...us-joe-fox.html

http://fineartameric...us-joe-fox.html

I GUESS UNITED NATIONS ARE CORRUPTED ANd PATHETIC TO POST THESE SIGNS TOO and want to bully tourists

Plus Even Google earth and maps avoid to give satelite view of militairy base

most people show plain ignorance on simple matters and a petition by 15 years old it worths as much as pile of shit

Edited by IoannisG
  • Like 3

All depends on the locations, some places house no secrets and has no reason to prevent you from taking pictures.

Satellite images would tend to avoid military bases since they can see into the compound and past the fences/walls that would usually stop you from seeing inside, you may be able to see things from the sky that you can't see from the ground which may be classed as confidential.

• Like 2

So can i post a similar petition Free RANDY BLYTHER HE IS INNOCENT PL SIgn the petition its not his fault

http://uk.eonline.co...-of-fan-s-death

OH WHAT HYPOCRISY THE SAME THING DID CZECH REPUBLIC

THEY ARRESTED SOMEONE ON ALLEGED CATEGORIES OF MANSLAUGHTERS

http://www.change.or...ee-randy-bltyhe

Edited by IoannisG