Sign in to follow this  
sostronk

Whats wrong with sidechat?

Ive noticed alot of people complaining that sidechat is bad. But lately Ive been playing in some servers that have it enabled and it seems to be building a bit of a community in it. More players are cooperating and helping others. There is more entertainment along those long runs. I'm a bandit and Im focussing on being one, but even I have been tempted to help them out from time to time. Not really sure, why do people dislike it?

Large amounts of chatter cant focus with all the chatter chatter its always people blasting music or screaming in the headset

• Like 3

Sidechat is pretty terrible, hopefully someone adds ACRE to a private hive. (Assuming standalone will have a radio system as well)

Sidechat is pretty terrible, hopefully someone adds ACRE to a private hive. (Assuming standalone will have a radio system as well)

you are onto something good

I recall Rocket talking about the Radio that is being found and that he was looking for ways to integrate it in some way.

Most servers I've been in with sidechat enabled don't allow people to global voice. They only allow global texting. Building a community is impossible without global chat enabled. I want to be able to ask who is shooting at me. I also want to be able to answer people when they bitch about me hatcheting them in the face at Elektro firehouse.

The reason it was taken out is actually because DayZ servers are already pushed far beyond their limits. People using voice in side chat were already causing more stress on the server, 3 people talking on a 40+ player server will crash it no question.

We've got it enabled on our private hive, and it's great to have because we can help out players, and get to know new ones. We warn anyone who uses voice chat in it though, and kick them if they don't comply. We haven't had to do that yet though, which is great to see.

I agree 100% OP. Side chat more often than not results in collaboration and less of a kill on site mentality. The private hives that I play where it is enabled definitely cause me to play differently.

Yeah I notice I get a lot of newer players, and to be fair player retention is important if you run a server. I mean you want your players to like it there, and come back, don't you?

Being active in side chat, and explaining game mechanics isn't much of a hassle, and it helps coordinate when you're 20 km apart.

The way I also look at it is that side chat works kind of like the "OOC" notes you get in the more serious rpg settings.

You use it to explain stuff, and work around some logistical issues, and then get back to the real game.

Edited by Duckimus Maximus

Personally I am not a fan, it ruins the immersion of the game, increases metagaming and always results in my ears bleeding from some idiot that decides to scream over the mic despite servers having rules against it, I like the randomness of player encounters with it off and find myself killing people because they are annoying when it's on.

Edited by smasht_AU
  • Like 3

I love side chat. It's managed to arrange all kinds of awesome things for me. The last time I was ever on a server with side chat, I managed to hail a helicopter and have it come down to pick me up while I was being chased by a 30+ horde of zeds. Dude touched down long enough for me to lunge in through the helicopter door before taking off and flying towards the sunset.

Probably the most epic moment I've ever experienced in Day Z, and it was only possible because of side chat.

I like it because It adds more sense of comfort. Some people hate it as stated above, but as a bandit ( myself ) I love it, it can set up some great ambushes but i have helped newcomers/survivors here and there,

First thing I do is mute the server, people complaining of the typing on the bottom of the screen? When im in tense situations I dont even register all the typing...

For those who don't want it on though, for whatever reason, it can be turned off in your settings whilst those who want it on can still use it if the server enables it.

I don't like it because it's not authentic. You shouldn't be able to ask who is shooting at you.

Bullhorns & radios are needed, but the apocalypse chat room just ruins the game in my opinion.

Personally I am not a fan, it ruins the immersion of the game, increases metagaming

Oh ya what metagame is that then buddy

Oh ya what metagame is that then buddy

I assumed he was talking about the people who use side chat to find or lure victims to their death.

I really do love the sidechat feature. Sure, it's annoying when there are people who are screaming in their mics.. But yes, mute the server... I do feel more of a 'community' is active with sidechat on. I played on a private hive with it and I loved it. I felt like a resurgence of the game come back to me.. I can understand the "immersion" factor, but I would rather have a bit of connection with the other players on the server instead of simply just being unable to yell across the world.

Edited by FM_Bomb_Saw

Large amounts of chatter cant focus with all the chatter chatter its always people blasting music or screaming in the headset

Kids yelling.. People leaving their mic queue'd and not having any idea....... It's fun if people can only type on it.

Kids yelling.. People leaving their mic queue'd and not having any idea....... It's fun if people can only type on it.

Like I said, you can turn the volume off.

Yeah but if you turn it low then it effects direct comm which is nice to have on.

Wouldn't that also effect the direct chat?

Edit: damn ninjas

Edited by bad_mojo

Yeah but if you turn it low then it effects direct comm which is nice to have on.

You could be right. Ill have to go test it.

Depends if we are talking about voice chat or purely globat text chat.

I miss global text chat a lot. It allowed me to be helpful to others and also to feel that I was actually playing with other folks besides gankers and snipers.

Voice chat was impossible to ignore, but its easy to ignore text messages. I don't see why folks are so bothered by it.

As for immersion, I feel that that is kinda a weak arguement. It's a game and there are already a ton of things that "break" immersion if one starts counting them.

Vote yes for global side chat.