venthos

DayZ Redux - DayZ purist focused custom DayZ Mod (Formerly DayZ DIAF)

Sorry NytroBeast , I had to kill you. I'm not taking any risks with strangers. I left your body untouched. I hope you find it.

DayZ's weather system is set to randomize between no moon and full moon nights. It's just luck of the draw. Don't be a wet blanket, bust out those flares and chem lights :D I am.

• Like 2

I walked with the flashlight for a few hundred metres, but it was too tense. Plus it's bedtime here in the UK (best excuse ever!)

• Like 1

can you 'carry' chemlights or are they only throwable? cant wait to get on tonight...6 hours and counting...

Where are the downed choppers?

Downed choppers are spawned one by one after X amount of time after a server reset.

Also they may easily just be hard to spot. They emit no smoke in this mod, and I have literally only found

the one I did, by crashing into it making a turn in my car.

Also the new server runs great, and I'm loving it. No more DeSync, not that I've experienced so far.

Edited by Remus

Everytime i try to join i get the error message "Wrong version of dayzcode found" even though i have the newest version of Dayz installed. Any idea what's causing this?

Make sure you are only using @DayZRedux mod and not @DayZ (the regular DayZ). If you use DayZCommander, you have to override the DayZ path from @DayZ to @DayZRedux to make sure it only loads my mod and not default DayZ

Where are the downed choppers?

To prevent easy-mode farming of choppers, they are randomly spawned throughout the life of the server. The goal is to make it so that any given time is no more advantageous that another time to go look for choppers. You could find them any time. This means chopper loot is no longer easy pickings for anyone with a helicopter or the playtime that centers around server restarts.

So, let's see how this goes. As a bit of further 'optimization' to reduce the impact on the server from server-side loot generation, I've modified its spawning a bit. This may turn out for the better as well as I think it's the direction I want to take loot anyway.

You should be finding noticeably less loot piles per building. As in, you may think loot is broken when you login now. However, loot map-wide should be cycling fairly quickly (if you're not trying to camp/farm buildings and trip the detection). This means that you may go into a big building and be lucky to find 3 loot piles, even luckier to not find garbage/generic. But, by the time the next survivor gets there they should have a chance at all new cycling of loot (which should be just as rare spawning for them).

The concept being that loot should be more rare now game wide, but that no building is a "dead building" that no one should bother entering until next server restart (like often occurs on vanilla DayZ).

I really want to shift things away from the expectation of lots of loot piles. I'm guilty of it myself, but people just end up figuring out the "best" buildings per city and ignoring the rest. I want people to check most buildings simply because they have to in order to get geared up.

I want you to get excited about every firearm you find, when you get a lucky string of food/drink, ammo, whatever. I want it to be a huge deal to get a good gun out of the barracks (and "good" being any gun with optics like a CCO or Kobra). But, I don't want loot to be too rare.

In short, if you're seeing a distinct lack of loot pile density tomorrow know that it's intended. If you find a town devoid of ANY loot piles, this is not intended. If you're not at least finding the occasional garbage/generic pile in a few houses then either something is wrong or I need to dial up loot a hair.

[CHANGE] Guns with optics removed from military loot. Now only exist as Barracks loot

* M4A1 CCO

* M4A3 CCO

* AKS 74 Kobra

Could this make the NWA too busy? I think there should be a chance of finding these at other military sites (Balota, Bera, NEA, Stary etc.) as this means players could get 'lucky' and hence will check there.

It's a difficult balancing act and I see the rationale but wonder whether this will make players focus more on one area rather than scouring the 'wilderness'.

NWAF was busy today was going to hit the barracks until I seen 3 different guys run out heading south all about 5 mins apart from each other all three running within 10 meters of me hiding in a tree. I would have been dead if it was daylight.

Venthos new server is running beautifully have had no de-sync issues so far also loads super fast now, but there was only 5 on so will give better feedback when I'm on later and the server is a bit more busy.

I will prolly get flaming for saying this, but i want the choppers gone from the map :)

Usually the same ppl that gets them everytime, and when ur in one u can just fly over any woods and pick up all tents and cars (no chance of hiding stuff at all)

Would be more fair and hc if u have to find the tents and hiden cars "manually" .

Ive gotten agreement from ppl that usually love being in choppers who also think its too "op"

If the choppers still gonna be there, it should be a loooong respawn rate on them.

I agree with Wormloaf I haven't bothered setting up a camp or holding onto any cars purely because of the choppers.

Possible solutions are;

1, keep two littlebirds only and randomise where they spawn better chance of others getting them and stops the same folks nabbing them again and again.

2, change the skins of the tents to plain green or brown to better blend into surroundings and stop them sticking out like sore thumbs from the ground and air. Introduce camo netting to hide cars.

3, Remove all choppers and introduce a small prop plane or two this way you still have the ability to move around the map quickly but if you spot a camp or base or crashed heli you'll either have to find a flat area to land or risk a para drop.

I will prolly get flaming for saying this, but i want the choppers gone from the map :)

Usually the same ppl that gets them everytime, and when ur in one u can just fly over any woods and pick up all tents and cars (no chance of hiding stuff at all)

Would be more fair and hc if u have to find the tents and hiden cars "manually" .

Ive gotten agreement from ppl that usually love being in choppers who also think its too "op"

If the choppers still gonna be there, it should be a loooong respawn rate on them.

I'm undecided on this.

They are basically just easy mode for squads really. The new difficulty created in this mod as far as gearing up is not even relevant to anyone in possession of a helicopter as all they have to do is fly around and steal everyone elses hard earned loot, which lets be honest isn't hard with the inability to be able to hide anything from the air properly. As a lone wolf it's basically impossible to own a vehicle for any prolonged period of time, or keep a tent supplied for your own benefit and use. Not sure what the answer is really as you'd have a lot of very pissed off people if you took them out.

As a lone wolf I would be happy to see them go as I have no ability to compete with squads to acquire one, but I can see it from the other side to that without much end game content, if you take them out you're not left with a lot to do as a squad.

My suggestion would be, when the construction system is implemented, that they should be removed and that ground warfare should be the way to proceed, So people have to hunt for bases and camps and not have an easy mode way of finding everything on the map.

I agree with Wormloaf I haven't bothered setting up a camp or holding onto any cars purely because of the choppers.

Possible solutions are;

1, keep two littlebirds only and randomise where they spawn better chance of others getting them and stops the same folks nabbing them again and again.

2, change the skins of the tents to plain green or brown to better blend into surroundings and stop them sticking out like sore thumbs from the ground and air. Introduce camo netting to hide cars.

3, Remove all choppers and introduce a small prop plane or two this way you still have the ability to move around the map quickly but if you spot a camp or base or crashed heli you'll either have to find a flat area to land or risk a para drop.

Or, maybe have the choppers spawn fully fixed with random spawn locations so as anyone has a chance of finding one and flying it. The main problem stopping most people being able to get one is fixing it on your own or as a group of 2/3 is nigh on impossible compared to a larger squad, so the same group of people are always in possession of them and have an unfair advantage over everyone else.

Obviously I'm looking at this from a non squad perspective as that is what I am.

Introducing the bi plane instead could make a difference as you say, trying to find a good place to land is not so easy, but again all you'll have is air support giving instructions to ground crews as to where everything is.

I don't know, it's hard work pleasing everyone.

Edited by RedNome

Seems like most are nice changes. I will however miss the M14 and DMR - one of the prime reasons I stay in DayZ. However, it's cool that some hunting rifles are still ingame.

As for the backpacks, I think those are pretty random in game, as compared to real life. In most sports stores you can get better packs than in the army, for instance. But I get that this is designed for balance. :)

I do understand the chopper theory....but the fact that Wormloaf doesn't want ANY makes me wonder how many vehicles are being horded up north....yes the guys I run with aquire a chopper as often as we can...but we do it for 2 reasons...1.) to acquire a vehicle that the 'horders' are hiding up north (YES we know where everyone is hiding them north of NE airfield or by the PBX spawn) and 2.) to give us an eye on the sky while our guys are doing ground assaults....

The choppers are vital to people so it can be easy transport for others across the map without a vehicle as well....thats why I wish side chat was enabled...because it would help others communicate a helluva lot better...and troll those dumb enough to tell us their location over side lol....

So Venthos....any thoughts on enabling side chats? I dont mind picking up people in a vehicle and giving them transport off the coast...and it may help more small teams build up with a bigger squad.....

• Like 2

I don't think so that helicopters shall move out of the game. That's bullshit. At 80% of the time , I'm playing alone , and I don't mind of the helicopters . They're fun , and sometimes hard to achieve. The only thing I hate that I can't find shit up north. ;)

And btw. you just have to find a good hiding spot for the tents and they're not gonna see shit from the helicopters. I got a tent at a pretty obvious spot , and noone found it yet .

• Like 1

Is there going to be an EU server?

Yes , as I know it's going to be up at this weekend.

So Venthos....any thoughts on enabling side chats? I dont mind picking up people in a vehicle and giving them transport off the coast...and it may help more small teams build up with a bigger squad.....

Im not a fan of side chat. For me it breaks immersion. The thought of being alone makes the game that much more real. Maybe make it availble for people who find a radio?

Im not a fan of side chat. For me it breaks immersion. The thought of being alone makes the game that much more real. Maybe make it availble for people who find a radio?

Well , it's not a feature you can't live without , but sometimes it would be a nice thing.

• Like 1

Could this make the NWA too busy? I think there should be a chance of finding these at other military sites (Balota, Bera, NEA, Stary etc.) as this means players could get 'lucky' and hence will check there.

It's a difficult balancing act and I see the rationale but wonder whether this will make players focus more on one area rather than scouring the 'wilderness'.

I plan to add at least one more barracks to the game. That being at NEAF. But, otherwise, I kind of want it to make the barracks a death trap. I want the 'standard issue' gun for people around the map to be iron sight AKs/M4s/M16s. If you want optics, I want you to have to have noticeably more risk to get it. Having another barracks out in NEAF will help, I think, though. At least it will push people off to the NE as well as the NW. But I'm trying to remove the expectations formulated in vanilla DayZ of getting really effective guns really easily. Some people may decide it's simply not worth the risk to go for guns with optics at the barracks and opt to simply kill the people who try and/or wait to try and find guns at heli crashes. We'll see how it plays out.

I understand the concern about helicopters. They're a lot of fun, so I don't want to remove them entirely. But I certainly understand how they make locating camps a trivial aspect. Now that the company conference is over I have time to try and put out some more patches with changes that are more than just small tweaks.

I'm not entirely sure what I'll do yet, but increasing the ability to hide your camp is one of them. I'm also pretty sure that I want to rewrite the vehicle spawn script that comes with the private server that I based this mod off of so that I can substantially delay helicopter spawns but allow car spawns to be more frequent. We'll see. I agree that something needs to be done, but I will try and avoid having to remove them entirely.

Is there going to be an EU server?

I may have it in my hands today and be able to turn it up for tonight. But, yes, it's planned.

I really dislike sidechat with a passion. It degrades pretty quickly into a "Who was the asshole who killed me?!" "You dick" "I hate you" "Blargh you're mean" "mean people, on the internet?! *scream*" etc. etc. ad nauseum.

One of my hopes was the integrate something like ACRE into DayZ and let the server decide on a universal channel for "side chat". But, I had never looked into ACRE before and didn't realize it's just an integration mode for TeamSpeak3 an would require everyone to run TeamSpeak3/connect/etc. Seems like not a lot of people in DayZ would commit to that level of installation/management.

Part of the charm, in my opinion, of DayZ is the unknown of not knowing who is where in game and having no easy way to try and find out. Like last night when me and two others helped out a guy in Cherno with a ride, only to have him sneak two of his buddies around to flank us, turn on us, stab us in the back and steal our UAZ. I was furious and wanted to murder the hell out of those people for taking advantage of my kindness, but even I have no idea who they were aside from one guy who spoke in direct chat text. Despite that I got frustrated, I like the fact that it's a bit authentic there in that I may never know who did it, and I have no recourse. I've shot at people I'm friendly to before because the situation was so tense and we couldn't get to identifying ourselves quickly enough before gunfire was exchanged. I don't want to remove that nervous aspect from the game. Sidechat makes even a map as big as Chernarus seem as small as a 10x10 room.

• Like 2