venthos

DayZ Redux - DayZ purist focused custom DayZ Mod (Formerly DayZ DIAF)

Zombie logic/code is presently unchanged from Vanilla as it stands. I think zombies are too easily negated as it stands. in my opinion. I don't want this to be some PvE focused mod, but the present logic allows you to run away 150-200m from wherever zombies last spawned and have up to 5 minutes of "me time" before a single zombie will even show its face (if you're the only one in the area, at least).

In regards to your events plans and heli crashes. I read a post ages ago that suggested the choppers could be operated by AI and flying around for a bit before crashing. That would be really cool, especially if you could shoot them down! I like the idea of NPCs as well. Lore: They could be a special forces squad sent in to perform a mission maybe? (e.g. search and rescue of a ditched pilot or, clear area at cherno to recover sensitive item from safe in the hotel or something). Any remaining government forces would be at the mercy of our anarchic environment.

Edited by BIOSEMTEX

Oh, the irony...

I knew you would bring this up. We went back to our old base(the one which you destroyed) and found the huey that crashed last night. It was alive again haha, but on the side of a hill. When I attempted to take off the rotors pushed it to the right away from the hill and into about 5 trees. We both died instantly.

I must say, I'm not really satisfied with the way the combat log system works right now. Me and my friend have experienced several client crashes tonight, client freezes and need to force restart (I never had any trouble of that sort with vanilla dayz). The last one was fatal for me. I crashed a few seconds after shooting a zombie, got killed during the deconnection process.That same exact situation happened to my friend earlier but he got lucky and went out of combat right before his client crashed. I thought your fix was a neat idea at first, but now that I see it in action, it seems like it causes way more problem than anything else. You might want to consider the usual clone thing they use on other private hives.

If the server havn't restarted yet in the past couple of hours, my dead body is in the barn in Novy sobor. Got eaten by zombies while on the toilet :/ AK cobra with 6 mags, m1911, map, compas. There is also a bus in Novy which needs one more wheel to get it going again.

KaptKrunKed: I'm relatively new to DayZ, to the tune of two months or so. How were zombies before? But if you're looking for zombies to be less of a hassle, you may not like next patch :D

Zombies used to be better in the past imo.

They used to spawn a lot further away so you couldn't tell if somebody was in a town. They were just alway there. Now they start spawning when you approach within 200m of their spawn point.

The spawns were also more spread out. Now they seem to spawn in clusters/groups. They also keep on spawning now it seems. No matter how many you kill, they keep on spawning.

The view distance has also dramatically increased. However now they only see 'in front' of them. They used to have 360 degrees view, but their view distance was much shorter so it was easy to work out when to run, when to crouch run, when to crouch step and when to go prone. Now they are very unpredictable. We used to avoid agro-ing them using the run/crouchrun/crouchstep/prone tactic with a group as large as 5 going through towns. Now they are so unpredictable we just say 'oh fuck this' and just run in and shake them of in a building. Personally this broke a lot of the experience for me. They did however seem to run through every single wall on the map which was very frustrating sometimes. That seem to be somewhat fixed.

Zombie logic/code is presently unchanged from Vanilla as it stands. I think zombies are too easily negated as it stands. in my opinion. I don't want this to be some PvE focused mod, but the present logic allows you to run away 150-200m from wherever zombies last spawned and have up to 5 minutes of "me time" before a single zombie will even show its face (if you're the only one in the area, at least).

The zombies did aggro from very far away, but they were way too easy to lose. Personally, I think that zombies should be relatively easy to sneak around but incredibly difficult to lose once you pick them up.

I must say, I'm not really satisfied with the way the combat log system works right now. Me and my friend have experienced several client crashes tonight, client freezes and need to force restart (I never had any trouble of that sort with vanilla dayz). The last one was fatal for me. I crashed a few seconds after shooting a zombie, got killed during the deconnection process.That same exact situation happened to my friend earlier but he got lucky and went out of combat right before his client crashed. I thought your fix was a neat idea at first, but now that I see it in action, it seems like it causes way more problem than anything else. You might want to consider the usual clone thing they use on other private hives.

Thank you for posting this. I need to hear feedback like this to know if the mechanic is working or falling short of its intentions. While I expect there will be the occasional situation where someone gets 'combat log' killed despite that they didn't intend to combat log, if this is an even somewhat frequent issue then the mechanic simply won't work in its current form. If I receive much more of these types of posts, the mechanic simply will need to change. I've considered a hybrid of the clone feature.

The "Combat" system would still exist, thereby only if you "combat log" would a clone generate. A clone wouldn't generate 100% of the time like on other private hives. That's my "backup plan" if this mechanic turns out to simply be too aggressive.

The "Combat" system would still exist, thereby only if you "combat log" would a clone generate. A clone wouldn't generate 100% of the time like on other private hives. That's my "backup plan" if this mechanic turns out to simply be too aggressive.

This, I think could work much better. Cause right now, I'll be honnest and say that it seriously affects my experience. My friend and I don't even want to risk and shoot a zombie in case it happens again. Anyway, thanks for your quick response as always.

Thank you for posting this. I need to hear feedback like this to know if the mechanic is working or falling short of its intentions. While I expect there will be the occasional situation where someone gets 'combat log' killed despite that they didn't intend to combat log, if this is an even somewhat frequent issue then the mechanic simply won't work in its current form. If I receive much more of these types of posts, the mechanic simply will need to change. I've considered a hybrid of the clone feature.

The combat log system has worked flawlessly for me up to this point. However, I have problems with desync, cos I am in New Zealand, so it is probably just a matter of time until I fall foul of it, undeservably. (<---is that a word?)

The problem with the internet (bear with me) is that everyone acts as if they won't get caught. "The true test of a man's ethics, is in how he would act, should it be possible to never be caught", quote from somewhere (kudos ancient dude) perhaps Rome Total War splash-screen, I can't remember... Point is! Give them a 25% chance of dying on disconnect (oh dear, the RNG). That's a 75% chance they will live if it is an accidental disconnect (btw I try to never shoot zombies if at all possible, definitely don't start shooting them if you are yellow-chaining), but also, a 25% chance they will get caught. Let them roll the artificial death dice, if they want to play dirty.

Hmm.... and what about put a timer there... like if someone will Alt+F4 he have to log in under some limit like under 10 minutes or something or he will be killed.

In this case when somebodies client will crash they will try to reconnect naturally but in case that someone will disconnect to save him-self from players he would have to connect back on same spot under the timer goes off and he will die instantly. In these cases players could wait on that spot and kill him after reconnecting...

It is only an idea but with some tweaks it could work as an Anti-Alt+F4 solution.

I think it could really work, if he will use Alt+F4 he would have to reconnect back again, meantime his enemies will regroup and wait for him. If some will get a client crash or something else they can peacefully reconnect and continue playing.

Also could you add option for handguns to "Add to Toolbelt" ? And we wont need to drop our handgun in case we want use a flashlight.

Edited by Hallker

The zombies did aggro from very far away, but they were way too easy to lose. Personally, I think that zombies should be relatively easy to sneak around but incredibly difficult to lose once you pick them up.

I'd go with something like this also. Early DayZ dayz, it was actually possible to crouch sneak thru cities in daytime.

Now zombies agro 200-300m away if you they look towards you so even if you're crouching they'll insta agro you from way too far away.

Or if you just stand still and zombie happen to turn to your way 200m away, he'll agro.

But as they're easy to get rid of, people just run thru towns... rather than trying to sneak.

The combat log system has worked flawlessly for me up to this point. However, I have problems with desync, cos I am in New Zealand, so it is probably just a matter of time until I fall foul of it, undeservably. (<---is that a word?)

The problem with the internet (bear with me) is that everyone acts as if they won't get caught. "The true test of a man's ethics, is in how he would act, should it be possible to never be caught", quote from somewhere (kudos ancient dude) perhaps Rome Total War splash-screen, I can't remember... Point is! Give them a 25% chance of dying on disconnect (oh dear, the RNG). That's a 75% chance they will live if it is an accidental disconnect (btw I try to never shoot zombies if at all possible, definitely don't start shooting them if you are yellow-chaining), but also, a 25% chance they will get caught. Let them roll the artificial death dice, if they want to play dirty.

The quote is from John Wooden, a college basketball coach, and it reads "The true test of a man's character is what he does when no one is watching."

That's not a bad idea, actually, though I think the chance to die should be increased every time you fire or are fired upon. Firing adds a lesser percentage than being fired at, or something around those lines.

25% to die and 75% to live is way too much, i'd do it the other way around. 75% to die and 25% to live...

But right now i'm really happy with the current system... I mean sure, if you get power outage on a bad time it sucks, BUT i think it is fair.

• Like 1

Bear with me. What about this.

I keep the current system. But, instead of the penalty being a standard death, the penalty changes into:

- All of your gear is wiped from your character

- Your blood is set to 5000 (unless it's already below that)

- You are set to login unconscious for some period of time

The difference from the current mechanic is that, since a geared body would still drop, upon logging back in you would be right next to your body. This way if you didn't mean to combat log, you'd at least be right next to your body and would only suffer from [1] low blood [2] being unconscious [3] Losing your ghillie/camp if you had one on (since you can't loot those)

This starts to encroach on people considering the penalty, though, and going "Yeah if I ALT-F4 I lose my gear, but I'll still be up at NWAF when I log back in later! Plus, maybe my attacker won't have hidden my body and didn't take much!" and then ALT-F4 seemingly starts becoming an acceptable penalty.

Eh, maybe the clone would be better than that idea just because they'd get sent back to the coast if their attacker kills their clone.

Bear with me. What about this.

I keep the current system. But, instead of the penalty being a standard death, the penalty changes into:

The difference from the current mechanic is that, since a geared body would still drop, upon logging back in you would be right next to your body. This way if you didn't mean to combat log, you'd at least be right next to your body and would only suffer from [1] low blood [2] being unconscious [3] Losing your ghillie/camp if you had one on (since you can't loot those)

This starts to encroach on people considering the penalty, though, and going "Yeah if I ALT-F4 I lose my gear, but I'll still be up at NWAF when I log back in later! Plus, maybe my attacker won't have hidden my body and didn't take much!" and then ALT-F4 seemingly starts becoming an acceptable penalty.

Eh, maybe the clone would be better than that idea just because they'd get sent back to the coast if their attacker kills their clone.

I feel just keeping it how it is, just respawn the body 5min KO, full blood etc... Suffer: Losing all gear, can pick it back up, unless someone hides body.

But, instead of the penalty being a standard death, the penalty changes into:

The gear is essentially what a character is except for position. Maybe just losing a certain number of items with a good chance of beeing it your primary gun would be punishment enough.

If somebody combat logs chances are blood level is already low. So that wouldn't be much of a punishment.

Relogging unconscious might very well be the best balanced punishment so far.

I think the best solution to the ALT-F4ing problem would be to leave the system how it is.

But at the very least if you are going to change it, I would love to see you go with the clone system.

Alt + f4 solution is good as it is.

Been killed a couple of times due to getting kicked for high ping while playing at my friends house with shitty connection, but thats it and it doesnt bother me at all really. anything else will just open the opportunity to combat log without REAL consequences imo..

People saying leave it as is are people who didnt experienced anything unfair with the actual system. I would of said the same thing yesterday before it killed me for nothing. Losing all your gear right now when you are playing legit is really frustrating. Even more frustrating than just facing an opponent who ALT F4 in your face. You need to change the mechanic otherwise lot of people will eventually get frustrated with this broken mechanic. Your second idea isn't bad either. Anything that would not insta kill you in a situation where you dont deserve it works for me.

Played my first game tonite...besides there only being about 6 people on, i thought it was great! no lag for me in australia, but got bored shitless running from town to town by myself.

Would it be possible to do what survivedayz is doing and replace the survivor and ghillie skins to standard arma skins? that way, no-one would be a blobby blur...just a suggestion :)

Dang, this evening was great fun! Even found a camp. Sadly I have to leave when the server gets more people on...

/CiTRON

Edited by voddler