Sign in to follow this  
Random_her0

Define a bandit

It would be interesting to hear what different people consider to be "bandits".

My personal playstyle (though I often change between a few when starting a new character) is this:

1) Are you a threat to me? yes = Attempt to kill unless a suicide mission, in which case haul ass.

2) Do you have something I need/want? yes = Attempt to kill, no = avoid

3) Did you just spawn on the coast? yes = I'll leave you be, perhaps even kill some zombies that are after you.

Would you consider that bandit play? The way I see it, there isn't a divide between bandit or survivor, it's just shades of grey. In fact, apart from a friend I play with regularly, I have met 1 person in the last 2 weeks who did not attempt to shoot me on site (granted some may have been hiding and waiting for me to pass). I feel by what was the original definition of a bandit a long time ago, 95% of players would be considered bandits now. I believe this is because 'surviving the zombie threat' has become to simple, and there isn't any real end-game apart from PvP (but those are different topics).

So post what you consider to be banditry. Do you consider yourself a bandit? do you consider the person above you to be a bandit?

Edited by Random_her0

Bandit: One who holds morals and does not kill another player unless the situation deems it to be an absolute necessity. One who robs another player for their goods, and only kills if the only player disobeys the bandit.

Bandits =/= murderers. People need to learn to differentiate.

• Like 1

Bandits =/= murderers. People need to learn to differentiate.

You're talking to people who believe that KOS is the only way to play the game. Don't expect miracles...

• Like 1

Yea lot of people do accuse that too often. I believe the game needs bandits to stay alive, the issue is KoS'ing.

A lot of bandits just -add- to that issue.

As a player you can't tell if a murderer shoots you or a bandit...so to the average player its one in the same.

Bandits, they rob, raid, steal, and murder people above Stary Sobor where it is fair game.

People whom call themselfs bandits that camp major towns with either high end snipers and/or high end weaponry against usualy un-armed or lightly armed players (ie, electro and cherno) are pussies who call themselfs "bandits" but really give the whole bandit concept a bad name.

Edited by Auzzii

1) Are you a threat to me? yes = Attempt to kill unless a suicide mission, in which case haul ass.

2) Do you have something I need/want? yes = Attempt to kill, no = avoid

3) Did you just spawn on the coast? yes = I'll leave you be, perhaps even kill some zombies that are after you.

i'd say thats pretty much Bandit 101, Except maybe swap 1) and 2) over.

Those players camping to rack up player kills aren't Bandits, they are morons.

Edited by Never

Bandit- An individual who goes by the way of taking possessions of others instead of producing, locating, or negotiating for any other material; one who goes against the law to preform acts of thievery against other people.

At least thats my description of a bandit, heres a common definition: Asshole.

Well today i learnt a lesson. I may not kill an unarmed man, But never give the idiot a gun because the guy will chase you later.

Today found a new guy in cherno, gave him my M9 and let him on his merry way, not 10 minutes later the guy started shooting at me, And i got my first kill with my Thermal L85, and it is one sexy gun.

I'll Just shout/ask friendly in chat and on mic, If no response then Ima open fire, Unless he is unarmed/axe/crowbar

To me a bandit is a player who robs or kills someone for what they have, be it beans a gun or whatever. To me a bandit doesnt kill for no reason.

Perhaps we should have three types of players, Survivors, Bandits and Murderers (those who kill but do not loot)

• Like 1

Perhaps we should have three types of players, Survivors, Bandits and Murderers (those who kill but do not loot)

Survivors, Bandits and Marauders?

Survivors, Bandits and Marauders?

A Marauder is a kind of bandit who is in it for the loot. Perhaps an Assassin or Slayer?

A Marauder is a kind of bandit who is in it for the loot. Perhaps an Assassin or Slayer?

HillBilly?

Is where you tend to find them after all...

...could give players lumberjack shirt and rolled up jeans skin after minus shedloads humanity.

Or maybe overalls?

Edited by Never
  • Like 1

You havnt met a single friendly player in weeks?

Work on your social skills bro, its probably your fault

Survivor: Kills when he has no other choice

Bandit: Kills for gear.

Muderer: Kills for fun.

Hero: Usually a server admin who can immediately respawn. If not, someone who dies alot to help others.

With so many good guns being not very rare, makes it so players feel the urge to kill on sight than taking the risk of getting shot once by a high powered rifle and dying. Maybe make more guns super rare to give players the chance to get shot at once, miss, and fire back, or just get shot once before attacking. I've also heard from many player about times they've gotten betrayed by another player after agreeing on being "friendly".

Someone who will shoot you on sight, take your gear and leave. They will not camp on a hill with an AS50 and shoot new spawns, that's called being a jerk.

Thief: one who takes what someone else has.

Bandit: one who takes what someone else has through the threat or use of violence. Aka, a robber, a brigand.

Murderer: one who kills people who have not attempted to kill him first.

I generally only shoot in self-defense or if I feel threatened (i.e. someone in a bandit skin persistently following me and not communicating with me)

From your play style there, I wouldn't quite call you a bandit except for line where you say that you kill people if they have something you want. I understand if you're dying of hunger or thirst and have nothing to eat/drink and you see someone else and decide to kill them for their food simply to live. That's not so much banditry to me as it is more of an extreme means of surviving.

But murdering someone because want their gun or NVGs is very bandit-like behaviour in my view.

Do you think a lot of people (I think it must be an increasing majority) are drawn to a more bandit/murderer style of play because the game lacks "end-game"? ie once you have a pistol and a means of foraging food and water you have essentially beaten the zombie survival part of the game?

I'd love for there to be more to do re-surviving. Perhaps the underground fortresses Rocket has talked about will make players less CoD-ish 'kill on sighters'

Do you think a lot of people (I think it must be an increasing majority) are drawn to a more bandit/murderer style of play because the game lacks "end-game"? ie once you have a pistol and a means of foraging food and water you have essentially beaten the zombie survival part of the game?

I'd love for there to be more to do re-surviving. Perhaps the underground fortresses Rocket has talked about will make players less CoD-ish 'kill on sighters'

That's exactly right!

Rocket and the team have a lot of work to do for the standalone version...

Even though it's price will be cheaper than most full version games, we as the players will still have out standards raised when it's launched.

It can only get better from here, and to decrease bandits we need more zombies that are actually a challenge, and maybe make the game its self a tad more customizable the server hosts can make a game that they feel certain players would prefer. Nothing to detailed, just the ability to change a few things. (Like general or specific spawn percentages of weapons. [Just one of a few customizable abilities to the server hosts.])

Bandits steal and take. Kill when they must.

Survivors do what they can to survive. Kill when necessary.

Heroes do what they can to benefit others. Kill when all other recourses of action have been tried.

Murderers have no souls. End of story.

I am neither a murderer nor a hero.

I am yet another one who is lost in the shades of grey.

Edited by Tarkastio

The true Bandit/survivor is the player who gets the concept of the mod, try and make a story for their character.

Murderers just haven't the capacity for intelligent thought, hence thats how all the KOS came about..

• Like 1

OP your point 2 I'm having troubles with - there is nothing you "need" on them that you can see. The only thing you truly need in dayz are matches, hatchet, a hunting knife and a brain.

I have yet to see what I would define as a single bandit. Just murderers.

ban·dit (babreve.gifnprime.gifdibreve.gift)

n.

1. A robber, especially one who robs at gunpoint.

2. An outlaw; a gangster.

3. One who cheats or exploits others.

4. Slang A hostile aircraft, especially a fighter aircraft.

So clearly, no Bandits exist on Dayz so we can all drop that title - Psycho's or Murderer's is what they act like (however I guess at a stretch you could say Hackers are Bandits (3)?)

I would love to get held up at gunpoint and go through all that. That's banditry. What we have right now is pathetic.

Do you have any idea's how to foster this? I remember when I first started playing people would hold you up. My first kill was a pair of "bandits" wanting my gun. They had me trapped inside the radio tower on Green Mountain, I fed them a grenade instead. What type of things do you think could enhance the bandit playstyle? (So there is more then just killing)