TheMachine

There should be no high grade weapons in standalone

Arguments can be made that in the mod, were it not for scripting and duping that sniper rifles like the AS50 and M107 would be 'ok'.

Being incredibly rare they wouldn't be as much of an issue.

However, I don't see these weapons (or many of the high grade weapons, like the SAW etc) as 'fitting' with DayZ in any way whatsoever.

Thermal scoped weapons? You're fucking trolling me.

Of course you may disagree, it is satisfying to get a 1 hit kill, and somewhat necessary considering how easy it is to combat log.

But assuming ALL these problems are fixed, I really think most weapons need to be removed from DayZ entirely.

In every zombie film I've ever seen, people at most have an M16 or perhaps a low caliber hunting rifle, but mainly it's shotguns and pistols.

THAT is what DayZ should be, most players should have pistols and shotguns.

That'd really add to the immersion factor too, focusing more on survival again and less on COD style rambo killing (though, there's nothing wrong with rambo killing).

I really think that'd improve the quality of PvP combat too, fights would be infinitely more fun with shotguns and assault rifles, taking place at between 50-500 meters, instead of rampant sniper camping and insane machine gun spraying.

It'd be much more satisfying if finding an Ak74 was a 'big deal' and we were hauled up in our barricaded houses exchanging Winchester rounds and M9 slugs with another group of players.

Actually 'fighting' over supplies instead of fighting to up our frag count.

Some people may disagree, but I just think combat in DayZ could be much more challenging and 'realistic' to the genre than it is at the moment.

• Like 29

I (sort of) agree. In places where I live, even at military bases, there aren't a whole ton of weapons just lying around like in the game.

High-caliber rifles are usually locked up in armories and aren't touched until war time. You can't just walk into a barracks and find assault rifles lying around on the floor. Much less machine guns. What kind of homefront enforcement includes pulling out 50 calibers?

Weapons, in general, should just be harder to find. An occasional handgun here and there is understandable for self defense. But an assault rifle in a fire station or a 50. caliber lying in the middle of a hangar where aircraft are stored and repaired?

• Like 2

I'd be fine without AS50's or Thermal Enfields, more shotgun & pistol fights, less AS50 1 shot kills.

But then it's just my own opinion.

As Dude himself is saying:

KaGTr.jpg

Edited by Hombre
  • Like 9

All this hate for high-end weapons is totally and absolutely absurd.

I don't want to be using chainsaws, double-barrelled shotguns, bolt-actions, and fucking hatchets to kill zombies like every other cliche.

High-end weapons, be it an M4A1 with an optic... AK-variant... or an M107 -EXIST- in the world... -EXIST- on military bases... and similar analogs are readily available in most countries be it with the military or in the civilian realm.

I don't get why people have this adverse reaction to weapons like that, get your head out of Romero's ass and face the real world... these weapons exist and have a place in Day Z. -ESPECIALLY- given it's lineage from ARMA.

People will always hate on sniping... you know why? Because it... as a concept... is DESIGNED to be irritating. It's designed to be unfair, and too bad if you don't like it. We're not lining up in fields and taking "fair" shots at one another.

Sure, sniper rifles could be made rarer in Day Z. I have no problem with that. But when you say "Most weapons need to be removed from Day Z entirely" you sound like you don't know what you're talking about.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 11

They should be rare not removed. Albeit, the duping and hacking has created a surplus of these weapons, that issue will probably be resolved in the standalone. (I hope anyways.) Removing would just be stupid.

• Like 4

Arguments can be made that in the mod, were it not for scripting and duping that sniper rifles like the AS50 and M107 would be 'ok'.

However, I don't see these weapons (or many of the high grade weapons, like the SAW etc) as 'fitting' with DayZ in any way whatsoever.

You're right, there should be several iterations of guns that have produced maybe 10,000 units each, but a gun that has a multitude of variants, has seen service with dozens of countries, and has sales stats in the millions, fuck that there shouldn't be any of those.

Another troll thread from TheMachine.

• Like 2

In most european countries there are not a huge amount of privately owned civilian type arms, there are massive stockpiles of military grade weapons that would quite likely in the event of total society meltdown enter common ciculation, saying that the .50 cal type anti material weapons (AS50 type) are not even in common military circulation they are exotic even then (my old infantry regiment never had one of these rifles in its armoury but we had at least 1000 L85A2, 100's of L86A2, piles of L96 sniper rifles, Piles of L110 LMG and FN MAG GPMG, 81 mortar, 51 mortar etc etc).

In short I think there should be plenty of military weapons but not lots of the Special forces/super exotic stuff.

• Like 6

Once they're done removing all the high grade gear you guys will be right back here asking for nerfs for the AK's because your shotgun isn't powerful enough to take on the new 'high grade' weapons. So, no. Bad idea, terrible.

Honestly, this smells more like pvp'ers whining about getting sniped. Try not to spend your entire time in Cherno or Elektro (or somewhere in between) and maybe you'll find these guns are a lot less threatening.

• Like 5

All this hate for high-end weapons is totally and absolutely absurd.

I don't want to be using chainsaws, double-barrelled shotguns, bolt-actions, and fucking hatchets to kill zombies like every other cliche.

High-end weapons, be it an M4A1 with an optic... AK-variant... or an M107 -EXIST- in the world... -EXIST- on military bases... and similar analogs are readily available in most countries be it with the military or in the civilian realm.

I don't get why people have this adverse reaction to weapons like that, get your head out of Romero's ass and face the real world... these weapons exist and have a place in Day Z. -ESPECIALLY- given it's lineage from ARMA.

People will always hate on sniping... you know why? Because it... as a concept... is DESIGNED to be irritating. It's designed to be unfair, and too bad if you don't like it. We're not lining up in fields and taking "fair" shots at one another.

Sure, sniper rifles could be made rarer in Day Z. I have no problem with that. But when you say "Most weapons need to be removed from Day Z entirely" you sound like you don't know what you're talking about.

People just want deathmatch on a gigantic open world with crazy weapons, belt fed machine guns? really?

Thermal optics?

No one's denying these weapons exist in real life, they just don't have a place in a game like this.

I want more of a challenge, I want fighting to be over resources and possibly (in standalone) over shelter and territory, not over frag count and 'whatever weapon that guy has I want'.

Pvp should be challenging, gritty and satisfying, not super slick pro style 'sn1pa on da hill'.

Fights should be drawn out and desperate.

• Like 13

In most european countries there are not a huge amount of privately owned civilian type arms, there are massive stockpiles of military grade weapons that would quite likely in the event of total society meltdown enter common ciculation, saying that the .50 cal type anti material weapons (AS50 type) are not even in common military circulation they are exotic even then (my old infantry regiment never had one of these rifles in its armoury but we had at least 1000 L85A2, 100's of L86A2, piles of L96 sniper rifles, Piles of L110 LMG and FN MAG GPMG, 81 mortar, 51 mortar etc etc).

In short I think there should be plenty of military weapons but not lots of the Special forces/super exotic stuff.

I'm all for making the weapons more region realistic, I mean an Eastern European warlord would likely have hundreds of AK's, AN's, and VZ's but I doubt they'd have much in the way of western weapons (if only due to market pressure).

And for fucks sake rebuff 5.45 ammunition's damage value.

No one's denying these weapons exist in real life, they just don't have a place in a game like this.

If anyone was looking for a reason not to take this dude seriously, besides the fact that he's a bald-faced troll, this would be it.

Edited by sp86
  • Like 1

Of course you may disagree, it is satisfying to get a 1 hit kill, and somewhat necessary considering how easy it is to combat log.

But assuming ALL these problems are fixed, I really think most weapons need to be removed from DayZ entirely.

In every zombie film I've ever seen, people at most have an M16 or perhaps a low caliber hunting rifle, but mainly it's shotguns and pistols.

THAT is what DayZ should be, most players should have pistols and shotguns.

That'd really add to the immersion factor too, focusing more on survival again and less on COD style rambo killing (though, there's nothing wrong with rambo killing).

I really think that'd improve the quality of PvP combat too, fights would be infinitely more fun with shotguns and assault rifles, taking place at between 50-500 meters, instead of rampant sniper camping and insane machine gun spraying.

It'd be much more satisfying if finding an Ak74 was a 'big deal' and we were hauled up in our barricaded houses exchanging Winchester rounds and M9 slugs with another group of players.

Actually 'fighting' over supplies instead of fighting to up our frag count.

Some people may disagree, but I just think combat in DayZ could be much more challenging and 'realistic' to the genre than it is at the moment.

I think I see where you're coming from but the same could be said about anything in this game . Last i check my barn out side did not just randomly start shitting jerry cans. On top of that I own a AKM and a colt Ar-15 , Hell my family owns a gun store so the fact that theses "high end guns" are not just laying around is absurd.

Edited by shazbot04

People just want deathmatch on a gigantic open world with crazy weapons, belt fed machine guns? really?

Thermal optics?

I want more of a challenge, I want fighting to be over resources and possibly (in standalone) over shelter and territory, not over frag count and 'whatever weapon that guy has I want'.

Pvp should be challenging, gritty and satisfying, not super slick pro style 'sn1pa on da hill'.

Removing weapons wouldn't accomplish that. This game isn't meant to be fair. I'm pretty desperate when I've got an Enfield and the other guy's got an M240. I deal with it.

Removing weapons is a fucking caveman moron solution to discouraging deathmatching. Maybe diversify the spawns so Cherno isn't such a clusterfuck? Maybe make weapons rarer? Maybe give people more the tools to accomplish objectives other than just killing? Maybe put in a grouping mechanic? Maybe endorse one of the MYRIAD of solutions already out there, that doesn't shortchange the game.

Removing things, that work, should never be an option. Tweaking the system to benefit the entire game is.

But word on the street is that you're a troll, which makes sense given how incoherent and nonsensical your statements are.

Later.

• Like 1

Rocket says this is basically happening in the standalone anyway, so you should probably get used to dealing with it now.

• Like 1

Thermal optics?

Do you even proofread you crap for inconsistancies before posting?

• Like 1

The "people don't have military grade equipment at home" argument is lame, don't know why people like it so much. Just like the "in real life apocalypse".

Until there is an official backstory it's pointless to throw around these arguments. But imo:

-it's happening right after the Arma2 campaign (those 2 other people, who played it will understand)

-Military tried to contain the outbreak (which would explain military tents)

I agree with the point of removing thermal scopes, and .50 cals should be incredible rare. 8 years in the army and I still have not even seen a thermal scope and like a previous poster said, the primary assault weapons like the m16, m4, ak should be easy to find around any military camps. Although I think the ammo should be much rarer, because if you think about it, the most logical reason these military camps were overrun had to be because they became low on ammo otherwise these zombies wouldn't stand much of a chance against a camp full of trained personnel.

Or maybe I'm putting too much thought into a video game....

• Like 7

You're right, there should be several iterations of guns that have produced maybe 10,000 units each, but a gun that has a multitude of variants, has seen service with dozens of countries, and has sales stats in the millions, fuck that there shouldn't be any of those.

Another troll thread from TheMachine.

^ this says it all. Themachine is a bad troll.

If anything when you go into an armory their should be 100's of the same rifle and 1000's of rounds/clips of ammunition for each gun. Also if a military outpost gets out run. you will find tons of weapons/ammunition at that location along with military vehicles.

I believe in the standalone if you kill a army zombie or see dead military personnel on the ground you should be able to take his gears.

Also if a zombie kills a survivor he should come back as infected/zombied. Walking around with the gear he was wearing/carrying at the time of his death. That way a player can kill the said infected/zombie and take his/her gear.

None of this body laying on the ground with fly's flying around it bulshit

I would like to see more readily available weapons like:

• Baseball bat
  • Sword
  • Machete
  • Pipe
  • Chainsaw anyone?

High grade weapons shouldn't be as easy to come by as they are now. IMHO

From what Rocket said we will be able to use melee attacks in the standalone. So lets hope we will have more melee weapons available.

I'd also like to see sword/bats added as well. or atleast the option to switch to your axe without having to putting your gun in your backpack/throwing it on the ground.

AS50 and M107 aren't even rare... They're more common than the CZ550,M24 SVD combined.

And I'm not even talking about the duped ones

Retarded thread.

There should be high grade military weapons it the game, from basic M16's to advanced ACR's, from scoped hunting rifles to 50 cals, it is after all set in a zone with military bases.

Also it is logical that heli crash sites provide these kind of weapons (transporting gone wrong and they crashed "in the zone")

I am, however, all for the removal of L85 and against implementing thermals, because they are way unbalanced.

High grade weapons with all sort of goodie attachments (scopes, silencers, cup holders FFS) - yea, but thermal scopes that lights up eveything that moves form Berezino to Electro - no.

Edited by narsil
  • Like 1

Retarded thread.

There should be high grade military weapons it the game, from basic M16's to advanced ACR's ...

Just a minor note but the ACR program ended without result. There's a rifle called the ACR, but it hasn't seen widespread deployment with any military.

Kill me now if I have to roll around with a double barrel shotgun for any amount of time. You find the military gear at military bases, I do not enjoy getting AS50 sniped nor do I enjoy sniping myself, but it would take away a great deal of danger if these guns were not available. If they were used for overwatch instead of psycho killing sprees most people would not mind, you engage a group and get shot by their sniper you will learn to look for the overwatch position or not engage a group that you are not sure about. If these guns were rare and had durability issues most would not have a problem with them, because most people would not want to waste resources on newb sniping the coast.

People saying it is not realistic that these guns are present are being absurd though, did they all disappear magically when the military was overrun (you see military vehicles and dead soldiers everywhere, what guns did they have). A light machine gun would be present in any situation like this, in fact most American military squads will have a SAW gunner and a combat engineer (meaning you would find more explosives, not less than you do now). If they remove the anti material rifles I could live with that (do not like them to begin with) and maybe even the L85 thermal scope (ever used it, the only awesome part of that gun is the optics everything else is pretty standard), but at least keep SVD, DMR, and maybe add some more civilian rifles (depending on the setting these would be all over the place). Maybe European gamers have a different perspective than someone from America, a land that has as many firearms as people (so remove most of the people and you have an absurd amount of ammo and firearms just laying around for looting in this country).