nic0

high-end loot should not exist in DayZ

Yes it should =)

I spend 2 weeks, Doing heli crash sites, cycling loot at NW airfield and Stray Sobor to find what I need.

I am having plenty of fun with this life. Lots of camping at the NW airfield.

Found a good camp site to the South West of the NWA, must be about 1/2 dozen ppl that visit this camp,

I love killing these dudes, if you wait about 45 minutes to an hour the same person will come back. Wait for him to re-gear and run towards NWA, I wish I had some bear traps.

Then they normally come back as 2 groups, put here gear in there tents and log off...haha - there was a coyote (8 slot) back pack in one of there tents, so there guns went into this back pack. =)

I'm having fun with a bunch of people, that don't know me. If I dident have this "top end gear" I don't think I would be doing this!

a really interesting post, thank you.

you say you found what you need, but did you really *need* that stuff? does anyone need an AS50 to kill players? do you need NVGs? you can't use them with the AS50 anyway, and there are less likely to be players around in pitch black anyway (any other time, you can basically see without them).

you're using your gear to kill players at a campsite. i have to assume they're going back there to regear at tents that dupe kit. in many ways, this is a broken mechanic, as you're relying on players coming back to the same place in order to fullfill your playstyle, but would they keep going to the same place if their gear wasn't being duped there?

and why do they come back only to be sniped by you? how long will that last? is that really a positive playstyle? it sounds fun, but how long will that fun last even if they don't find and kill you?

it took you two weeks to get gear that allows you to play in a very specific way. and you could probably do the same thing with much lower-end kit. if you watch PvP dayz vids, you notice that almost all the really successful ones use fairly bog-standard gear. they rely on the element of surprise, and the fact that they don't give a shit about losing their gear.

This depends entirely on how you choose to play DayZ.

i guess my point is that the choice is taken away from you, little by little, as you acquire better loot. you become, naturally, more cautious. it's not really a choice.

and, even if it is a choice that you can make (and, if you can, then more power to you my friend), but it's not a choice that the *majority* of other players make, and that in turn will affect your game as they disappear to the forests, to the low-pop servers, and alt-f4 as soon as they see or hear you.

So I was in Elektro the other day. 40 Man Server, I expected people there. All I had was a Hero Skin and a Makarov with 1 and a half mags. I walk out the Yellow Building and see a Bandit with a sniper rifle on the school-house. He tries to shoot me, misses several times. I go into the school house, head up there and put an entire mag into his back. He didn't die, Makarov and all. He ran back, shot at me twice, missing because he was panicked. He runs back inside (I was running around the roof reloading to end him) and I see him proning and logging out.

He had that good gear, he put it at risk knowingly by entering Elektro and shot at me, someone who would've been no threat whatsoever. I deserved that gear for taking him down with nothing but a pistol even though he clearly had the advantage. This is why I think we should do something against combat-logging.

But don't remove the high-end gear or make it more rare. Killing someone who has that good gear just makes it more satisfying if you can take him down.

So I was in Elektro the other day. 40 Man Server, I expected people there. All I had was a Hero Skin and a Makarov with 1 and a half mags. I walk out the Yellow Building and see a Bandit with a sniper rifle on the school-house. He tries to shoot me, misses several times. I go into the school house, head up there and put an entire mag into his back. He didn't die, Makarov and all. He ran back, shot at me twice, missing because he was panicked. He runs back inside (I was running around the roof reloading to end him) and I see him proning and logging out.

He had that good gear, he put it at risk knowingly by entering Elektro and shot at me, someone who would've been no threat whatsoever. I deserved that gear for taking him down with nothing but a pistol even though he clearly had the advantage. This is why I think we should do something against combat-logging.

But don't remove the high-end gear or make it more rare. Killing someone who has that good gear just makes it more satisfying if you can take him down.

really interesting story.

two points.

one - which of the two of you enjoyed that exchange more? you, with your low-end kit, with nothing to lose, or that idiot who couldn't even handle his high-end gear? it's obvious the answer is you.

two - do you think that guy earned that gear? it sounds like he had no clue. he was in a piss-poor sniping position, couldn't shoot straight. probably made the classic mistake of using a sniper scope too close (less than 150m) and not aiming below the crosshairs. i bet he got his stuff from a duped tent, and logged simply because he didn't want to bother trudging across the map to get another loadup from his tent. i don't think he would have been that crap if he'd really got it legit.

i think you actually made my point - it's more fun when you have gear you're not afraid of using. if the tables were turned, and you had the good gear that you'd earned the hard way, would you have risked it all just to kill some newb?

• Like 1

Yep. The game should be a lot harder, no high-end weapons such as M249 or AS50 anywhere. People would be using Lee Enfields, Springfields and Mosin Nagants in the game. It'd be great.

The problem as I see it is no matter what you "remove" from a game... you'll be back crying when the thing that took it's place is now OP. Snipers gone, LMG's op need removed, LMG removed, assualt rifles are op need removed. You will never be satified. I hate to use this over used meme but "learn to play." DayZ should never be balanced around the player, otherwise lets just call this a mmorpg. It's a brutal survival game the only thing that should be balanced is we all die and we all respawn with next to nothing.

Edited by Pendragon
  • Like 1

...DayZ should never be balanced around the player, otherwise lets just call this a mmorpg. It's a brutal survival game the only thing that should be balanced is we all die and we all respawn with next to nothing.

My point exactly!

well one problem is that you can switch servers (or go to low pop servers to get gear) - so the gear-economy is maybe not the best...

I think dayz got so popular because you still have the same gear after logging off and on again - BUT also because you lose everything when you die...

My point exactly!

well one problem is that you can switch servers (or go to low pop servers to get gear) - so the gear-economy is maybe not the best...

I think dayz got so popular because you still have the same gear after logging off and on again - BUT also because you lose everything when you die...

Well anyone can do that also, balance. Every item in game is equally avalible to everyone. As long as you are not cheating, duping or scripting we are all on equal footing. Just because Joe Blow got an AS 50 and kills you doesn't make it unbalanced. And let me state right off I hate the .50 noobs but I don't want the gun taken out. Although from the sounds of it, it might not make it to stand alone. I am a DMR noob when using a sniper.

1. Dont get to attached to your gear

2. Letting "High-end" gear easy to obtain would be no fun at all, i mean, 40 guys with as50s in 1 server is not fun. It aslo removes a huge part of the game.

I agree that High-End loot should remain rare.. But also the locations in where said High -End loot spawn should be increased.. Why is all the good stuff concentrated in one area? Seriously? You should be able to find High-End loot in at least three different places on the map..

Treat all equipment all weapons the same it's all just gear doesn't matter if it's an as50 or a Marakov it's just more stuff . The real thrill of this game is the person to person interaction anything else is expendable don't get attached to your gear or vehicle well because

Easy come easy go

I know, but if scripters and duping was fixed, rare items would give people objectives that spanned of a long period of time.

But yes, I literally do log out and go play BF. :D

It is funny because I have done the same thing the past two nights, got bored or frustrated with the boring task of switching my camp to another server and logged out and played the new battlefield maps. I had a moment where I shot a guy near some buildings and thought about infected agro.

Edit: OP is doing it wrong, after you take a death or two as a high tier player you will almost feel relief to stop playing so cautious. You will then realize that no matter how cautious you are something is going to kill you, why not at least have some fun before taking that death. I had a 28 day old character killed by a rock North of the Ural spawn, my buddy picked up my NVG and GPS, but did not have room for any other gear and it really changed my perspective on how I was playing this game. I could continue to hid the in the forests going on vehicle hunts in remote areas, or I could mix it up and maybe take an enjoyable death instead of getting snipped at the NWAF or killed by rock.

Also who cares if they die with an AS50, I hate that gun and would rather run around with an AKM than have to be subjected to sniping. I have lost my favorite rare guns twice now (M240 and MK Mod), but I at least had fun with them after that initial glitch death where I had only used 30 rounds in a week of heavy playtime (my sidearm dealt with infected and I got into one PVP encounter and used about 20 rounds to kill the player). Dying sucks, but living scared is even worse.

Edited by Zombie Jesus

a really interesting post, thank you.

you say you found what you need, but did you really *need* that stuff? does anyone need an AS50 to kill players? do you need NVGs? you can't use them with the AS50 anyway, and there are less likely to be players around in pitch black anyway (any other time, you can basically see without them).

you're using your gear to kill players at a campsite. i have to assume they're going back there to regear at tents that dupe kit. in many ways, this is a broken mechanic, as you're relying on players coming back to the same place in order to fullfill your playstyle, but would they keep going to the same place if their gear wasn't being duped there?

and why do they come back only to be sniped by you? how long will that last? is that really a positive playstyle? it sounds fun, but how long will that fun last even if they don't find and kill you?

it took you two weeks to get gear that allows you to play in a very specific way. and you could probably do the same thing with much lower-end kit. if you watch PvP dayz vids, you notice that almost all the really successful ones use fairly bog-standard gear. they rely on the element of surprise, and the fact that they don't give a shit about losing their gear.

Have you tried to kill some one with a M4A1 CCO SD at 500meters? AS50 if perfect for the job =)

I dont use NVG with the AS50, I use the M4A1 and get in nice and close, love watching ppl duck for cover when you fire it and look around for were its coming from =)

There are plenty of night time servers around with ppl on them .

I've only killed them at the campsite a few times, I wait until the get to the NW airfield, before I kill them.

I really do hope the get there act together and come find me = fun times =)

If I die I die, lets start again, its no big deal at the end of the day, Its all about having fun =)

we're in alpha here, so it's fine, but there is a serious and appalling lack of balance in the game at the moment.

implying dayz is supposed to be balanced

I have a very simple solution to this...

And its worked flawlessly..

Dont go hunting for loot, let the loot come to you!

Basically when i spawn i head for one of the two cities, get my basic survival gear, matches, knife, axe etc then i make my way to the 4/5 buildings which spawn guns, im not interested what aslong as i have something, i then make my way to the opposite city stopping by the sniper spots to see if i can take anyone out who is sniping fresh spawns, normally there will be someone.

If you stick around elektro eventually there will e someone with high end gear come snooping for trouble, kill them and away you go with decent loot.

I dont think ive been north for ages and ive had nv gogs, ghillies, l85's etc etc.

Plus i have the attitude that if i die, i die so what. Ill just repeat and be almost guarenteed to get some decent loot at some point.

I have everything right now, NVG's M14AIM, M24 (the only thing I care about lol) and an L85 Thermal, range finder, coyote backpack, gps. Now I have this shit, I am being a shitload more careful but I expect to lose it. Thing is, now I do care about the gear I have whilst I have it (if I die it's no biggy - I've been playing the die-collect-die game for months now so nothing changes). Now it matters if I die because I have something to lose. If I have nothing I can run around and be an idiot again and miss the point of Dayz as far as I see it which is to survive and now that you have a reason to survive, an actual "close to dying experience" in a video game, it should make you play differently - in fact u are now playing closer to RL then you might ever in a video game.

Also can't they make anyone hitting Alt-F4 also instantly reduce their blood by -1000000?

edit: The only thing that ruins this right now are hackers but then private hives remove or reduce that a lot.

Edited by Jex =TE=