Sign in to follow this  
Marcellus Corteaz

The real issue with DayZ

DayZ is suppose to be an immersive experience of a harsh existance in the zombie apocalypse. It's not. It's a B grade horror flick that engages you with for all of five minutes before you realise once again you've been burned by popular word of mouth and you've ended up in yet another shitty team deathmatch game.

Surviving in DayZ isn't hard. There's no reason to be fearful of the Zombies, anyone with an IQ greater than their shoe size knows this. You could make the zombies little golden retriever puppy dogs and the game would play exactly the same.

My solution is simple: DINOSAURZ. I don't know why it's happened, but for some reason there are dinosaurs in Chernarus. All variety of dinosaurs, from the herds of relatively docile Brontosaurus to packs of clever Velicoraptor right up to the fearful Tyrannisauris ready to rip the roof off your stupid UAZ and eat you whole.

As the Dinosaurs will have dominated the food chain they will be the only reliable source of food, as the smaller animals able to evade the dinosaurs will be difficult to hunt. Hunting the dinosaurs will be incredibly difficult as many of the weapons will be ineffectual against larger dinosaurs, so you don't want to become the prey yourself when you are out in the wilderness.

Rocket, if you are reading this, I hope you use this idea, but if you don't I will make a mod for your standalone game and when it becomes popular I will make a standalone game myself.

Edited by Marcellus Corteaz
  • Like 1

DayZ is suppose to be an immersive experience of a harsh existance in the zombie apocalypse. It's not. It's a B grade horror flick that engages you with for all of five minutes before you realise once again you've been burned by popular word of mouth and you've ended up in yet another shitty team deathmatch game.

Surviving in DayZ isn't hard. There's no reason to be fearful of the Zombies, anyone with an IQ greater than their shoe size knows this. You could make the zombies little golden retriever puppy dogs and the game would play exactly the same.

My solution is simple: DINOSAURZ. I don't know why it's happened, but for some reason there are dinosaurs in Chernarus. All variety of dinosaurs, from the herds of relatively docile Brontosaurus to packs of clever Velicoraptor right up to the fearful Tyrannisauris ready to rip the roof off your stupid UAZ and eat you whole.

As the Dinosaurs will have dominated the food chain they will be the only reliable source of food, as the smaller animals able to evade the dinosaurs will be difficult to hunt. Hunting the dinosaurs will be incredibly difficult as many of the weapons will be ineffectual against larger dinosaurs, so you don't want to become the prey yourself when you are out in the wilderness.

Rocket, if you are reading this, I hope you use this idea, but if you don't I will make a mod for your standalone game and when it becomes popular I will make a standalone game myself.

Fuck your tiny black text >.<

Woot ? :)

- The zombies are just fun...

go into Electro or Cherno (Calamar) and play around with a Leeroy, and fucking survive!

i'd never shoot a golden retriever..and i think you should start working on your own mod..

Dude... do it. Make Day Jurassic Z.

ITS THE PLOT FOR JURASSIC PARK 4! ISLA NUBLAR GETS HIT WITH THE T-VIRUS!

• Like 1

It would be pretty cool if there were more *legit* ways to die (ie not hackers and not doors) that made the game more scary.

Perhaps randomly spawning super zombies that require close to 30 shots to kill, and which can kill you insantly if they catch up to you, and they cannot be ditched by running indoors or through bushes. They should also have a much higher detection radius.

They should also be randomly spawning but fairly rare.

It would make running around a bit more tense.

Right now you approach a town, whip out binocuars from a distance and see "ohh theres no zombies spawned, town is safe", and from there everything is easy and boring.

It would be kind of scary if you had to fear the possibility of a super zombie spawning with the other zombies. Would force you to approach the town much more tactically

Dude, seriously, this is a great idea. Not to be added into DayZ, but as a completely different game. Basicly DayD. Remove all the zombies, and replace with Dinosaurs. Anyone ever play Carnivores?

Dude, seriously, this is a great idea. Not to be added into DayZ, but as a completely different game. Basicly DayD. Remove all the zombies, and replace with Dinosaurs. Anyone ever play Carnivores?

^^

Better yet, imagine a game like day-z but set in a world where everyone is the size of an ant.

It would be so fun.

Every insect would be super dangerous.

Youd need to shoot various bugs to harvest food.

Find water at dangerous water-holes that might have other creepy insects in it.

Murderous super fast giant spiders and hornets everywhere.

Do you know how scary a spider is when its the size of an elephant? lol

It would be so badass. Squads of tiny survivors with military weapons fighting their way into bee hives and ant-hills looking for tasty honey and larvae mmmmm

Count me in

imagine how many steaks you'd get off a Brontosaurus - could feed a 60 player server for a month!

You know, I've actually said in TS while playing that "Chernarus needs dinosaurs"

So I can't entirely disagree.

The zombies aren't really needed. You can have an apocalypse without them, as long as you also have the requisite carnivorous animals (dogs in the cities, bears 'n crap in the woods). They don't really affect combat between players much other than slowing people down when they're in killzones.

They're basically an excuse for the game, to draw people in - if you tell people "Hey I made a mod with a huge apocalyptic open world where psychopaths run around trying to wear each other's skulls as hats and everything can kill you!", then most of the players running around shouting "friendly!" at each other and having marshmallow roast campouts around a fireplace would never have showed up in the first place.

(These are of course the same people who never seem to understand that nobody needs or wants them for anything. No, we don't want to be your friend)

Zombies do keep new spawns and incompetent people busy, though. I see players with weapons and gear die to zombies in really stupid ways and I just can't figure out what the hell they're thinking.

Zombies also provide an outlet for players that aren't competent enough to fight other players, which at times may describe a hell of a lot of players.

Edited by Just a Goat

Ya but.. Can you ride the dinosaur? This should probably go in suggestions.. Though I've seen it before.

Hello there

Cummon' folk, this is an ancient (no pun intented) idea, use the search? (Been kicked around since OFP, but never fully followed through)

What makes you think that the Dino's would have better AI that the Zeds at this stage?

It's not the zombies, rather the lacklutre AI. DAYZ, fun though it is, is a small hastily thought out Arma2 mod that had the luck of going viral. Wait for the stand alone for, hopefully, improved AI etc etc.

Rgds

LoK