xav (DayZ)

DayZ is out of control.....

These days I head inland and find there are a lot less hackers there. If you hang out on the south coast you'll definitely run into them allllll the time.

They want instant gratification, so there's no reason to wander around the wilderness when they can play at Cherno or Elektro. And I still run into people up there, just less often, and 9/10 times they're not hacking. On the coast, it seems like 5/10 contacts are cheaters.

I keep getting these script kiddies that run around me and drop ammo boxes. I was at the nw airfield and he did it. then outside zelen. They can just instantly teleport to you anytime. This game isn't a survival game anymore. It's how fast can i hit the alt-f4 button when i see a scripter teleport to me and start playing PSY as loud as he can whilst hitting me with his axe as i pump ak rounds into them.

Reading a moderator putting down someone complaining about it just gives me a sinking feeling... People should be aloud to complain constantly about this problem because it really kills the game. If the mods want to castrate me for giving a shit about their game then go ahead but let people vent out their frustrations because they know what this game could be without all the script kiddies.

Leave the people venting their frustrations alone.. it is nice to see people who really enjoy the game.. pissed off because the developers won't fix the problems because they have to many dollar signs in their eyes because of the stand alone on the horizon. I wonder if the developers realize they have competition out there now and if they piss off their users by ignoring their mod which brought them their fanbase, they won't have anyone out there that will spend additional money on their product.

Edited by treefitty
  • Like 1

Was in some factory area along the coastline, i looted a body of a revolver , rev ammo, supplies.. i then go in a room, no one was anywhere near me, i just drop dead.. no sounds, no gun shot, i just dropped dead.. wtf is going on

Pretty much. That's why me and my formerly do good clan is now a bunch of savage bandits turning the zombie apocalypse into a land of genocide and murdering everyone. This includes scripters who have the balls to not use god mode and kill us via teleportation and shooting guns from the sky

they have to many dollar signs in their eyes because of the stand alone on the horizon. I wonder if the developers realize they have competition out there now and if they piss off their users by ignoring their mod which brought them their fanbase, they won't have anyone out there that will spend additional money on their product.

What I understand is that fixing the hacking issues is extremely difficult. DayZ is practically just a big hack job on top of ARMA. They need to create the standalone if they really want to secure the game.

Leave the people venting their frustrations alone.. it is nice to see people who really enjoy the game.. pissed off because the developers won't fix the problems because they have to many dollar signs in their eyes because of the stand alone on the horizon. I wonder if the developers realize they have competition out there now and if they piss off their users by ignoring their mod which brought them their fanbase, they won't have anyone out there that will spend additional money on their product.

they have said they will support both the game and mod after the game is released. keep in mind the mod is still a mod and is limited to what arma 2 has to offer. the hacker issue is arma 2 related, and thus out of their control.

In the 3 months since I started playing I've been killed 4 times by hackers, attacked unsuccessfully twice and have actually managed to kill two of them on one occasion. (They're usually shit players to begin with, hence the hacking)

Keep at it, learn where to go when, make plans and weave outs into them in case shit goes awry and, honestly, don't get attached to your gear. The stark reality of the game is that YOU ARE GOING TO DIE. Your character is mortal and every other character is equally empowered to end you with one mouseclick. Learning how to gear takes away your attachment to 'things' and lets you focus on the experience.

But everyone knows it's bad right now with hackers. Everyone knows anyone could be a hacker, scripter, whatever. Point is, once you get past that bullshit the game is fucking brilliant. If you stick it out, you'll see man. The hackers are bad, we all know, but the good things about the game outweigh the few bads.

• Like 1

When I dropped into this forum about a month ago, the first things I saw were a couple of very un moderator like posts. The first guy was making a half arsed apology which actually came off sounding more like a like a half arsed excuse for replying to a forum member in an inappropriate manner, while the second was stroking his ego and boasting something about his 'Ban Hammer'. At the time I thought it was certainly not the best example to be setting from the guys who are supposed to be looking after the place, but I like the game so I stuck around. Then recently something else happened that made me think the same way, but I'll get to that in a mo. In regards to this thread though, yeah there are a lot of threads about hackers and yes people do get pissed off with them. But it's the number one problem the mod is having and the number one reason why it's losing so many players. So I don't understand why anybody is surprised or that pissed off to see the threads. Considering there's apparently 1.2 million players of the mod, I fail to see how even a hundred threads about hackers can be seen as too many. Despite the fact that this forum is so busy, if a thread doesn't get replied to, it only takes a day before it's already 3 pages back on the list. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but don't moderators have the power to delete, lock and move threads. If so, then why hasn't one of you guys created a hacker 'sticky' thread and moved all of the subsequent hacker complaints there, instead of getting personally and in some cases, for want of a better word, unprofessionally involved in the topic. Surely this is an easy way to keep both the forum and yourselves 'cleaner' than what the current method of dealing with it achieves. If not, then I fear this forum will eventually need some more moderators to moderate the moderators!..which isn't a good thing as "everything is good in moderation' especially you guys. Point in hand, after this post I'll have a count of 8, though I can only find 7, now I can remember making another one, but it seems to have mysteriously vanished. It was in the "Collector's Edition Day Z (thoughts)" thread. When I saw that topic I thought, ffs it's like asking what your having for pudding before you even know what you're getting for dinner, so I made this reply as a double edged joke "A working copy of the game free from bugs, glitches and hackers." Then rather than replying to my post Fraggle, in his wisdom, decided to edit it with this " Most obvious response awarded to ....... YOU! ". Now, for a start, the most obvious response is definitely gonna be a real AS50, though in his 'opinion' I got the award. Regardless, I felt that it was an abuse of his mod powers to edit his little nugget of supposedly witty sarcastic gold into my post, instead of simply making a normal reply. So my answer was something along the lines of "Sweet, if there's a prize for this award I hope it's a working copy of the game free from bugs, glitches and hackers, but I'll gladly accept a real AS50 as there's probably more chance of that." A couple of dayz later when I was reading the thread I noticed that Puff!, the post had gone. No rhyme no reason, just gone .So what happened, gremlins, leprechauns, does the forum have bugs, glitches and hackers too, or are some of you guys falling short of what being a good moderator is all about and over stepping your remit a touch. Perhaps some of you might need to rethink your position, because while this forum is a place to talk about all thing DayZ, that also includes it's downsides and if you don't "like" it, then maybe your in the wrong unpaid 'Job'. Who's got the ban hammer?. :rolleyes:

You've actually used a a really interesting example within the thread you're quoting me from. Here it is: http://dayzmod.com/f...day-z-thoughts/

As you can see, most of the posts including mine are on topic and enjoying the thread. Your one line response added nothing to the thread and I actually got a few PM's regarding it asking me to "Delete the Troll!". I didn't. I don't remember your second post and I certainly didn't delete it. Editing your post in the way I did was purely to point out the obvious, it was a nice thread and I wanted it to stay on topic.

With regards to deleting hacking threads, I'll refer you to my earlier post in this thread as that already sums up what I think. The only reason I posted on this thread at all was to warn RogueTroopa about making pointless threads and posts. There was nothing "snide" about it. I also sent him a friendly PM about it yet here he is again this morning doing exactly the same thing: http://dayzmod.com/f.../92163-hackers/

Anyway, I hope that's put a few things in context. I've taken on board your criticism's because you make some valid points. I hope you read through my posts on this thread properly and if you have any issues in the future your always welcome to PM me.

P.S - OP, sorry your thread got hijacked.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 2

It doesnt happen every time you play at all. In all my time playing this mod since its beginning i have come into contact with less than 20 hackers. Less than 5 of which killed me.

That is where you are wrong, i encounter multiple hackers everyday on my own server and they fuck everything up. Mass teleport the vehicles and tents and insta kill everybody, on a DAILY base. Just wanted to point that out, don't care about the rest.

• Like 2

The level of tolerance with a lot of players/forum posters is TOO DAMN LOW.

Come on people, I've lost much more than a lot of people...and yet, I still play.

Hmm.

• Like 1

The level of tolerance with a lot of players/forum posters is TOO DAMN LOW.

Come on people, I've lost much more than a lot of people...and yet, I still play.

Hmm.

I still play as well, but I would have a different playstyle if I didn't have to watch out for a hacker every 5 minutes. I usually would grab what I need to survive then head north.. but now I just find my self roaming cherno and elektro hoping to get one kill before I'm hacked..

I'm not overly concerned though because with Warz on the horizon. I can see if another developer listens to their community about their woes. If they have the same kind of hacking, then the new zombie survival genre might be a flop because of the hack element. I hope they can prove me wrong.

Using the it's in alpha has grown old as well. How can we find flaws in the game play if the devs don't repair one of its major flaws. Devs has a big bug in alpha. ie hackers and scripters.. see the dozens post about it. How can we properly test the game under these conditions? I kind of curious to see the cluster-f for the stand alone alpha.

Edited by treefitty

After getting hack a few times, not that a cared about dieing in the first place, I looked around for a low population server in where the owner and admin all play the game. Only a few times did they get hacked and when they did they were right onto it, easy to talk to on TS if there was trouble. Now they have a private server up, hacking is a thing of the past, have a good little community going ... heaps of fun. Best way to go until the standalone comes along.

It's in Alpha, you will die, this is DayZ ...

In response to the forum mods-I appreciate the response and your reasoned feedback to what I said and, futher, with what a few other posters have said we seem to be getting at a consensus.

I do regret not qualifying more thoroughly my feelings towards the 'feedback' a poster receives after he makes a post about hacking. So to clarify, hacking questions and complaints tend to generate from new players who don't quite 'get it' yet. In their sheer noobiness of the game, I think it is reasonably okay that they don't have the prescience to use the search function on the forum cuz they don't understand yet what has happened to them or if it is ever happened to anyone else ever.

The moderation sometimes seems to be a little uneven. When someone trolls about being angry at the hacking, moderation seems to occur swiftly. However the more reasonable OP's seem to get a serious beat down from other players who are equally nasty in their response (my "get lost you effing noob"). But the mods don't seem to show up in those situations and say something to the effect of, "Hey guys, don't shit on the OP, he's clearly new to the game, doesn't understand the hacking problem yet, let us all sympathize together with our communal plight and instead of yelling at the OP about 'yet another useless hacking post' let's try to give this guy some tips on how he might mitigate his hacker encounters. Or even more, why don't we get real and say, "Hey, this game is awesome, but we're gonna be completely honest here, you might not want to play it all right now. The game is functionally broken right now and to play it in this state would give you the complete wrong impression."

Next, I don't think we hijacked the OP's post. I think it is good for a new player to see both sides. If it's okay that one response says, "I've played for months and seen only 5 hackers in that whole time." then it is also okay that he hears from those of us who've given up on the game because (trust me, we're not trolls, we ARE being honest, BELIEVE US PLEASE) we get hacked within 5 minutes of spawning in, regardless of server pop or admin dedication, etc. And that yes, the hacking will continue from thunderdoming, mass teleports, mass kills, god-moding, etc. etc. quite literally every twenty minutes or so like freakin' clockwork. I've never doubted that some players don't have this experience. But please don't ever question my sincerety about my experience with the game. I'm not lying! I have a hacker encounter on average about every twenty minutes of game time.

The OP of this thread is a brand new player. I'd prefer he makes a decision now whether he's gonna invest considerable time in the game. If he's fine with rampant hacking, then great. But what if he isn't? Doesn't he have a right to get immediate, unscripted responses (even from trolls like RogueTroopa) so he gets a complete view of the situation without spending hours of time researching through existing threads? For the sake of the future of the game, I'd prefer it if there were no new players at all! They see some videos on Youtube from 3 months ago and go, "Hey, this looks cool!" Then they 'play' something else entirely and get a bad taste in their mouth.

I guess I'm looking at this whole thing from a PR perspective and I keep asking myself what I'd do if I were involved in some way with the game.For instance, another response here quite astutely pointed out that there is no sticky thread about hacking. If this was my project, I'd have a sticky thread on every last sub-section! Rocket and by extension Bohemia has been absolutely victimized by these ne'er do wells and I'd be doing everything possible to steer public sentiment in that direction by allowing the deluge of woes from players about this. If I was Rocket, I'd make it directive number 1 that all mods express nothing but regret and sympathy at every corner to every last player who expresses any displeasure about cheating. Instead of the stock explanation about Arma II's software limitations and Rocket's inability to do anything about it, I'd say something like this, "The cheating, hacking and scripting that, in the most severe way, is negatively impacting gameplay is simply inexcusable. We here at DayZ deeply regret the current state of the mod. We share in your disgust at the situation. We don't offer any excuses for the situation and take full responsibility for our 'product'. Rest assured we are tirelessly working towards a solution so that our players may once again enjoy the mod and restore confidence that the standalone will not experience this issue." I fully understand that 'you guys' are not at fault for the problem, but modern business dictates that you must own this.

I think the Playstation Network hack is very instructive here. Although Sony was the victim of a crime and, in my opinion, not in the least at fault for what happened, the best thing they eventually did was 'own' the problem and aggresively take steps to restore confidence with their customers.

• Like 1

We wouldn't be so trolly if you guys were more sympathetic. The more you pretend like it's not a problem the more compelled we feel to talk about it. The other part is how disgusted we feel about ourselves for recommending this game to our friends, who are now rightfully angry at us because they feel like they've wasted forty bucks. I just wish you'd put a disclaimer on the main page explaining the issue. It really breaks my heart to see people like the OP here who are excited today and inevitably angry next week. And then they post their grievance here and you guys respond back with this, "Go fuck off you noob" attitude. The OP (and RogueTroopa) is a POTENTIAL CUSTOMER!. Why not treat them as such, just sayin'.

I have a hint, every purchase you guys will make... DO YOU RESEARCH.

This isnt an America, where there has to be disclaimers and instructions for everything you do.. here most peopple actually have commons sens and ability to think them selves.

Personally when I started playing I did my research and learned the issues before hand and I still bought arma2 and downloaded the mod. And I have had blast with it..

Yes there is hackers but they are more annoying little kids than anything else because the game is broken anyway, even if hacker kills you it takes like 30 minutes to be fully geared again. I like even running back to hacker as freshspawn and start "fking" with him via direct its fun to see these retards go nuts on you and just laugh at them.

• Like 1

I have been playing since August 1st almost every single day and only experienced 2 times where I was killed by something that seemed fishy.

I guess all our mileages may vary.

That said, why any game would have the inherent ability to allow scripts to be run on a client and affect the gameplay on a server and other clients is beyond me.

From the extensive interviews Rocket has been doing, I get the message that anti-hack and security seem to be the priority with their team right now. I guess I am ready to trust that and will be forking over the $10 or whatever it is on day 1.

• Like 1

30 minutes to be fully geared again. I like even running back to hacker as freshspawn and start "fking" with him

Note to any potential new customers: You should not expect any of these statements to be factual.

• Like 1

One thing about DayZ, you can't be a try-hard in it's current state. There's just no point. Try to enjoy it for what it is and don't worry about the rejects running scripts or the problems DayZ has. It's enjoyable at it's core, and interesting to wander around or play war games in the forests away from Elektro. Trying really hard to gather the perfect kit is nearly pointless, and only ends in frustration most times. Get a half decent weapon and go get yourself killed. It's fun.

Tents work about half the time (mine either disappear or come up empty after server restart), so trying to build a little stockpile may or may not work. Even after you decide to live out of your backpack you're going to get nailed by a scripter. NOT a hacker. I have a hard time applying that term to the monkies fooling with DayZ. Screwing up a mod that's far from perfect, based on a game that isn't popular to start with (because IT has tons of problems) doesn't exactly make me think these guys are busting Pentagon coding.

At any rate, just enjoy the mod and ignore the problems. Explore a bit, grab a little gear and waste all your ammo, because quite frankly it's only a matter of time before you find some misfortune and start over. I believe one of the reasons the Minecraft open Alpha model is being pushed so hard is to get the standalone available in some form before everyone gets bored and quits. Let's face it, Bean Wars in Elektro only amuse us for so long. Most of us play multiplayer to build something. Be it a character, or a stockpile for our group, if that building and accomplishment isn't available (and it's very questionable in it's current state), we'll lose interest in FRS-Z (Forest Running Simulator- Zombie Edition) shortly. Let's face it, there are better sniping games out there.

Note to any potential new customers: You should not expect any of these statements to be factual.

Ok, lets say maybe lacking gps, rangefinder and nvgs. But if you know where to look wont take much longer than that to be pvp ready..

good POINTZ ARCTIC just play the dam game. this is the gratest mod ever made. there's lke thousands of zobies everywhere!!!!!!

its just fun to run arund and shoot dudez tha think there going to be a survivaler.. stupids

do ur researfch before you spend all yur lucnch money!!!!!!! its a mod U IDIUt

what did you expect a mod to be like. i'll blow all your faking brains out in the chruch in chreno.

xoolz_________________________phii I'll pick you up in my heli and show you how the game looks from on top of the CLOUDS!!!!

I think you should get banned for stupid posts, troll.

It doesnt happen every time you play at all. In all my time playing this mod since its beginning i have come into contact with less than 20 hackers. Less than 5 of which killed me.

This ^^^^

I am eagerly awaiting the standalone and i will keep playing the alpha as i have sometimes weeks at a time without being disrupted by hackers.

Lately there has been an increase in hacking on my favourite servers and i think everyone has to realize that with the hacks available they can see you anywhere on the map, no matter what your hiding spot is teleport to you at anytime, have any gun or equipment they want, have invulnerability and stand in front of you and kill you whilst u shoot a clip into their skull. Not to mention they can instantly kill anyone or everyone on the server or teleport us all together for a 30 second blast-fest.

The ridiculous thing is u know who the guy is, and u can see it happening but battleeye looks away probably busy banning someone innocent. Its sad too because its all software, the point of software is you can make it do what you want.

Battleye is failed software, and bohemia are a nerdy bunch of east european game geniuses that tried to give people an open engine game to be creative with but did not expect the douchebaggy-ness of ur common household sweaty palmed, heavily masturbating script kiddie to want to ruin other people's game experience.

U just have to keep playing, enjoy the good moments and embrace dying because spawning with nothing is most of the fun.

@ PhilB - Cheers for reading through the responses. I actually agree with a lot of what you say and I'll try to address your points.

I agree that the moderation of the forum can be inconsistent, and that's what leads to a lot of the frustration of the users (apart from the hacking itself). Forming a good consistent moderation team will take time, arguably we're getting there but I think we still have a way to go. At the moment the team is fairly small for a forum of this size so it means we can be stretched which leads to some areas of the forum being ignored occasionally. There's no shortage of people that want to be moderators but finding people that will remain active is the tricky bit. Most of us work full time and do this in our spare time as and when we can. A lot of people want to be mods so that they can "clean" the place up. They quickly realise that 90% of the work we do is mainly behind the scenes dealing with spambots (I've had to restart this post 3 times already to deal with the bots!) and trawling through reports. Essentially it's bloody boring and there's not many people who stick with it. Like DayZ itself, the forum has grown quickly and to some extent we're playing catch up. We are becoming more consistent and now we're forming a solid core team you'll notice that things will continue to improve. I always suggest that anyone interested in moderating contact Griff.

I personally (and so do other mods) spend a lot of my time helping out people new to the forum. As an example I spent nearly 3 hours the other night in PM helping some poor guy to get his game up and running. He was so desperate to play DayZ and eventually we got it sorted. I disagree with you about the way to deal with people like RogueTroopa though. If you look through his post history he had made an account purely to add pointless comments to threads whilst adding nothing constructive. He's now blocked/banned. That's not censorship, he had plenty of warnings and his intentions were clear. Also, as you can see, we haven't deleted his posts, so the OP can still see the mixed bag of opinions on the subject.

I take your point about the PR side of things with regards to hacking, and that is for Rocket and the Devs to address. My personal opinion is that the standalone being released so quickly is their way of addressing the issue. It's a simple fact (that many don't like) that many of the current issues can only be dealt with once the devs have access to the game engine. As mods, our job is to moderate the forum's as best we can. We don't always get it right (as you can see above). I like the fact that we're allowed to voice our personal opinions and take part in the debates surrounding DayZ. We're not hired "robots" towing a company line and banning anyone who disagrees with us like you'll see on many other forum's for successful games. I think this adds to the colour of the forum and keeps it a place full of differing opinions which can only be a good thing. If I ever get told I'm not allowed to voice my opinions (within reason) then I'll hang up my gloves and go back to being a regular forum member. I think some of the debates surrounding DayZ are some of the most important and interesting within the gaming industry today and I like being a part of that.

Anyhow, last night my team and I were taken out by a teleporting hacker. It sucks. We had good fun gearing up again though and the hacker is now banned. Brushing it off is the only way to enjoy the mod at the moment. It's far from ideal and a lot of work is being done to sort it out. Simply telling people "it's alpha" or "deal with it" isn't good enough but the only real answer if you've had enough is to wait for the standalone. The fact that DayZ is anywhere near playable at all is a small miracle at this stage.

I hope this throw's some light on some of the issues you mentioned.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 4

I'm not being Bum Lick Crawly but It's good to know what you guys are dealing with and I can understand the frustration also. Most Posters are aware of this but some just want to make it an issue. I noticed Rogue troopers negative attitude also through many other posts and was getting sick of seeing the drivel he was spouting, But on the other hand it is his opinion and he is entitled to it. However I did not like the fact new players were asking simple questions and he was all "Don't play this game" while he claimed he was not playing wheres the point in posting if your not helping? I can usually tell also which other posters are in a world of hurt whether through hackers or just because they can. This is the way of the world and Internet privacy will allow people to be that way, there isn't a forum or group in the world who does not have strongly opinionated people.

As you stated there are hackers and they are out to spoil the Mod, Don't let them spoil it, there are many ways of not running into hackers mentioned many times in many posts. For me (and this is serious) I sometimes run around looking to be shot so I can start again from scratch as I find the real fun from being a new spawn and the challenge of finding the best gear. My longest life was 2 month long and it gets stale after a while so a new spawn makes the Mod all the more better.

More new content is making the Mod better and this was partially the point of the mod, for the community to run with it and see what happens. I am now looking into map making as I have with other games I have played and enjoyed, It may take a while but there is a genuine need and a great community to flow with both Arma 2 and DayZ.

Good things are going to happen to DayZ and I can proudly say I have contributed and helped people from when it started (Almost) I don't know if its age or wisdom but, If you can't see the potential of this Mod then that's o.k, but please don't advertise your stupidity.

*long well thought out post*

Hi PhilB.

I don't get you. You write a long wall of text with some very good points, then immediately afterwards you go and make a second forum account with which you spam the shit out of the thread. Completely pointless in my opinion.

• Like 2

Want to know the best thing you can do? That has worked w/ me and i don't have to deal w/ hackers/cheaters? Go on google and search DayZ Server Clans.

When you found a clan with a website/teamspeak/server join there teamspeak or ventrilo. Join it. Play in the server and if you see a cheater/hacker in the server

report it to an admin. I promise you they will remove him/her. Its been a few weeks already and have seen ZERO hackers. If you want i can give you the info i play on. That way you don't have to deal w/ that type of stuff.

Hi PhilB.

I don't get you. You write a long wall of text with some very good points, then immediately afterwards you go and make a second forum account with which you spam the shit out of the thread. Completely pointless in my opinion.

Well, spotted Max. Now I'm just pissed off I spent 5 mins of my life writing a reasoned response to a complete nutter. Cheers though.

OK - anyone - can you give me a reasonable explanation why the developers of ArmA 2 are so reluctant to remove teleport, invisibility, invulnerability server side specifically for DayZ servers? Difficult? Basically 95% of their customers are playing DayZ ? Any company should care about the customer base. Right? Please - lets forget for a minute about "standalone". This issue is not relevant here. I have spent money for ArmA 2 and not for ArmA 3 or else. Thank you.