S1ippery Jim

WTF - No PVP Servers?

So I noticed several private servers now have "No PVP" and "Bandits will be Banned" rules.

All I can say is: WTF. It's not DayZ without PVP. How much of a lame ass scrub do you have to be to make rules that no one can PK in your server? What exactly is the point or challenge to running around looting and collecting high powered military grade guns when apparently the only things you can shoot are zombies and rabbits?

I mean, by all means make your own rules on private serves but don't expect any respect if you want to water down the game.

• Like 1

Just go in and kill people, who cares if you get kicked if you don't want to play there.

• Like 7

yeah reminds me of people saying you cant use an rpg (or any weapon) in bf3 or you will be kicked and or banned. silly on public servers.

Just a sec....how does this affect you? You still got 300 other servers to play on....

WTF is the problem?

They host the server, they host a private hive...hence they can make the rules for their server.

• Like 11

Just a sec....how does this affect you? You still got 300 other servers to play on....

WTF is the problem?

They host the server, they host a private hive...hence they can make the rules for their server.

Pretty much this.

It doesnt affect you.

They PAY for it, they can do whatever they damn well please.

• Like 4

WTF is the problem?

Not really a problem, just saying it's lame.

However, since you asked its worth making the point that if you make your server public it should at least adhere to the basic gameplay of the mod it is hosting eg DayZ which expressly includes PVP.

Additionally, if you do not put this fairly important rule in the description of your server name you waste everyones time when they spend the usual 5 mins getting past 'loading' and 'player creation' screens and finally log in only to see a message pop up that PVP will get you insta banned.

it doesn't affect him, but he has an extremely good point, What is DayZ without PVP? If you want to shoot Zombies theres many many other games for that..

Seems like a waste of money, and the rules will most likely be broken by the admins the second you steal there helicopter....

• Like 1

LOL no joke, I joined a server (DayZ Hive connected), they had a whole list of rules against PVP in the MOTD. By the time I had logged in, my friend and I had counted 7 dead players, some with gear, some without, spread out around Elektro and some dude running around looting them (and those were just the bodies we could see from our vantage points). It was hilarious. Those 'no pvp' servers are most likely just jokes/noob traps.

Not really a problem, just saying it's lame.

However, since you asked its worth making the point that if you make your server public it should at least adhere to the basic gameplay of the mod it is hosting eg DayZ which expressly includes PVP.

Additionally, if you do not put this fairly important rule in the description of your server name you waste everyones time when they spend the usual 5 mins getting past 'loading' and 'player creation' screens and finally log in only to see a message pop up that PVP will get you insta banned.

The DayZ rules you are talking about, only affect the normal hive servers. If you host a private hive, you can enforce a "only PvP, no zombie killing" server, if that is what you want. How about a "must wear clown faces or get banned"? You can do that....how about a "hackers only" you can do that....see where this is going?

And the MOTDs pop up while you are in the lobby, so you don't waste any time.

Fine, you don't like none-PvP servers, but you are finding problems where there are none.

• Like 1

I have mixed feelings on this. In one hand some people don't enjoy pvp and I'm fine with them having a place to enjoy the game.

On the other hand it isn't exactly the same game we play! The thrill of encountering other players is a big part of DayZ.

• Like 1

The DayZ rules you are talking about, only affect the normal hive servers. If you host a private hive, you can enforce a "only PvP, no zombie killing" server, if that is what you want. How about a "must wear clown faces or get banned"? You can do that....how about a "hackers only" you can do that....see where this is going?

And the MOTDs pop up while you are in the lobby, so you don't waste any time.

Fine, you don't like none-PvP servers, but you are finding problems where there are none.

There is absolutely no question that you CAN make whatever rules you like on a private server (and I can see you are a server Hoster yourself so I understand you feeling entitled to do so) however what I am saying is that it is super lame to do so...thats called an opinion, now if I say I like bubble gum flavoured icecream I am sure you can say that vanilla is better but neither of us could ever prove the other wrong or right.

Tell me this, though, as you host DayZ server's yourself, would you ever impose a no-PVP rule on your own server?

Pretty much this.

It doesnt affect you.

They PAY for it, they can do whatever they damn well please.

I agree with the red text.

But. Hosting a private server is completely free.

And, just because you're paying for a server, doesn't mean you can say fuck-all and make up your own rules.

I play in No PvP servers. PvP still goes on. But just less of it. Mostly people who dont want to pvp go there, but not all of them. I prefer it that way under the current game design and attitude the community has. It doesnt make me lame at all. I play this game for fun, not to prove my epeen is biggest on internets. I dont need to be awesome at this game because Im awesome IRL. I want to play this game casually. If Rocket doesn't allow people to play No PvP in standalone (with seperate chars for pvp and no pvp to prevent farming), then I wont buy or play the standalone, Ill play the mod

Edited by sostronk
  • Like 2

So I noticed several private servers

If it's a private, non hive connected server they can make all the rules they want.

Dear OP,

Go back to wow please. You are the person playing in battlegrounds 24/7 whereas people like me are running the server's economy. Your ignorance is blatantly apparent because you actually took the time to write that post rather than considering the non-pvp aspect of the game. Now before you reply "this game is pvp only just like call of duty on a bigger map", why don't you take 5 minutes and write down all of the things you do when you aren't "pvping". You'll find that pvp doesn't even take 1% of your time in DayZ... Unless you login on a hill outside of Cherno, take 10 shots with your AS50, get 1 kill, then immediately log out because you're scared.

Go read a book or something.

Personally, I prefer the survival aspect of the game, and trying to slaughter as many zombies as I can instead of playing COD + hunger meter.

These no PVP servers sound like traps, though, so I'll just stick to low-pop servers instead.

Pure server. And I am not a server hoster. I rent a server, which I admin...Soo I am a server admin.

I don't feel entitled to do so, I am stating the fact, that you can do so.

And No, I wouldn't implement a "no PvP" rule.

But having played back just before DayZ got really popular, I would definitely experiment with KoS deterrents. I dunno what it would be...but if I had the possibility, you bet I would. Mod was better when you could roll up to a random bandit, and you could fuck about together, get some beans, maybe a winchester and get mauled by laser guided zombies, not knowing that a bullet was coming for you in the next 30 seconds.

Some people really love Dubstep...I am not a fan. Some people really like Star Trek TNG/TOS, I am more of a DS9 guy myself. Some people like pirates of the Caribbean, I think it is utter crap. Some people drink beer, even when cider is available.

There is no accounting for taste, and somebody has setup a server according to his/her taste.

What we have here is you saying: "Dubstep is crap, fact. Rocket said so"

But what it is, is just a server host who likes Dubstep.

Back to the original point of, So fucking what? Now go play on one of the 300 other servers.

P.S. "however what I am saying is that it is super lame to do so...thats called an opinion" Why do you answer you own questions?

In his opinion KoS is "super lame", you like it....Agree to disagree.

P.P.S. "however what I am saying is that I think it is super lame to do so...that's called an opinion" there, I fixed it for you.

Edited by Tweakie
  • Like 11

Pure server. And I am not a server hoster. I rent a server, which I admin...Soo I am a server admin.

I don't feel entitled to do so, I am stating the fact, that you can do so.

And No, I wouldn't implement a "no PvP" rule.

But having played back just before DayZ got really popular, I would definitely experiment with KoS deterrents. I dunno what it would be...but if I had the possibility, you bet I would. Mod was better when you could roll up to a random bandit, and you could fuck about together, get some beans, maybe a winchester and get mauled by laser guided zombies, not knowing that a bullet was coming for you in the next 30 seconds.

Some people really love Dubstep...I am not a fan. Some people really like Star Trek TNG/TOS, I am more of a DS9 guy myself. Some people like pirates of the Caribbean, I think it is utter crap. Some people drink beer, even when cider is available.

There is no accounting for taste, and somebody has setup a server according to his/her taste.

What we have here is you saying: "Dubstep is crap, fact. Rocket said so"

But what it is, is just a server host who likes Dubstep.

Back to the original point of, So fucking what? Now go play on one of the 300 other servers.

P.S. "however what I am saying is that it is super lame to do so...thats called an opinion" Why do you answer you own questions?

In his opinion KoS is "super lame", you like it....Agree to disagree.

P.P.S. "however what I am saying is that I think it is super lame to do so...that's called an opinion" there, I fixed it for you.

This. Everything in this is extremely well said. Beans for you, mate.

it doesn't affect him, but he has an extremely good point, What is DayZ without PVP? If you want to shoot Zombies theres many many other games for that..

Seems like a waste of money, and the rules will most likely be broken by the admins the second you steal there helicopter....

And if you want to endlessly PVP there are plenty of other games for THAT.

What's your POINT?

~Sol

• Like 2

Dear OP,

Go back to wow please. You are the person playing in battlegrounds 24/7 whereas people like me are running the server's economy. Your ignorance is blatantly apparent because you actually took the time to write that post rather than considering the non-pvp aspect of the game. Now before you reply "this game is pvp only just like call of duty on a bigger map", why don't you take 5 minutes and write down all of the things you do when you aren't "pvping". You'll find that pvp doesn't even take 1% of your time in DayZ... Unless you login on a hill outside of Cherno, take 10 shots with your AS50, get 1 kill, then immediately log out because you're scared.

Go read a book or something.

Nice attempt at creating a straw man argument there friend. I always play legit, I have never, in all my time playing DayZ logged out during a firefight or due to imminent death.

There is no non PVP aspect of DayZ because the game itself includes PVP encounters - in fact these are what add the most tension and paranoi to the game experience.

I don't think you understand what DayZ actually is. DayZ explicitly and by definition involves PVP as well as PVZ.

Creating Non PVP servers is directly against Rocket's intent for the game how the game was designed.

If I should go and play WOW (which I have never played in my life) then perhaps you should toddle off with your non PVP mates and play minecraft in creative mode so that you never have to get out of your comfort zone.

• Like 1

And if you want to endlessly PVP there are plenty of other games for THAT.

What's your POINT?

~Sol

This is also a valid point.

There's Call of Duty, Halo, Battlefield, and dozens of others.

I've played (some of) them. I still play Black Ops occasionally when I'm in the mood to just up and slaughter a ton of people. Why don't you boot up COD if that's what you want to do? Or Halo?

Fact is, this is a survival game. While I will agree (POSSIBLE) PVP is an integral part of the survival theme, KoS and cod-style gameplay is not. People camping on sniper hill and alt-F4ing when someone shoots them isn't surviving. That's CODing.

I'm not trying to point fingers here, or flame. I'm simply stating that if you want a game where you can PVP without consequence, there's plenty of those around. If you want a game where you can kill zombies, following a story, there's games for that (Such as Resident Evil). however, if you want to SURVIVE the zombie apocalypse in the way YOU PLAN IT, then that's DayZ. And no, camping cherno isn't "surviving" in this sense.

Edited by Ipurgepeople
  • Like 3

Creating Non PVP servers is directly against Rocket's intent for the game how the game was designed.

Creating non hive servers is strictly against Rockets intent for the game, period. What he can do is learn from this though. If he caters for a wider audience in standalone then he will sell more. Having a non-pvp format would allow new players into the game without struggling with that learning curve. They would also allow casual players such as myself to play the game I want to play it without having players (which at the moment is only hackers) impose upon this and force me to play their game. Or he can sell his dumbed down version of Call of Duty to the PvPers whilst failing to bring in new followers and forcing people like myself to play a no pvp dayz mod. I wont mind playing a mod version of the game anyways, tbh, it will probably get more development than Rockets current version.

Creating non hive servers is strictly against Rockets intent for the game, period. What he can do is learn from this though. If he caters for a wider audience in standalone then he will sell more. Having a non-pvp format would allow new players into the game without struggling with that learning curve. They would also allow casual players such as myself to play the game I want to play it without having players (which at the moment is only hackers) impose upon this and force me to play their game. Or he can sell his dumbed down version of Call of Duty to the PvPers whilst failing to bring in new followers and forcing people like myself to play a no pvp dayz mod. I wont mind playing a mod version of the game anyways, tbh, it will probably get more development than Rockets current version.

Rocket has made it clear many times that he is not interested in making DayZ 'accessible' or easier, the fact that he removed morphine, the makarov, beans etc from starting equipment makes that pretty clear.