Bikker

too many 50 cal snipers

50cal too common?  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Are 50cal snipers (as50/m107) too common?

• yes
    • no

I got killed whilst sniping Stary yesterday. Respawned in cherno. Whilst looting the factory, saw a gentlemen in a ghillie tn the factory with me. Gave him the good news as told by mr Lee Enfield. Dude had an Alice pack with an As50, 2 meat and 8 M10 clips. Also an L85 in his hands. Fastest re gear ever.

Yes, light 50's are too common.

i am totally for the removal of .50 cals. replace them with regular sniper rifles like the M24. i really like sniping/sniper rifles. but .50 cals are just not needed

and take much to little skill to operate. while you´re at it, remove the rangefinder too. let people learn how to use the mildots to calculate the distance.

at least then you know the sniper that just killed you really had to have skill(s).

edit: for anyone interested, you calculate the distance with mildots by multiplying the hight of the target by 1000 and devide it by the number of mildots the target is tall

in maximum zoom level.

a standing person is 1.80m in general . so lets say a standing person is 3 mildots tall. 1,80m x 1000 / 3 = distance to your target in meters.

this works with every measurement. doesn´t matter if you use Meters, Cm, Feet, Yards, Inches etc.

This actually may have helped me out with sniper rifles. I usually just pay attention to the zeroing and then do a little guess work with the mildots.

Who cares. Won't be fixed until standalone anyway. No point in making thread 40506065 about this.

And how would u know they wont make the same 'mistake'?

I see it this way today it is .50 cals/snipers, tomorrow it'll be lmgs, then assault rifles. No matter what it is the player base will always moan about something.

Once DayZ is stand-alone people will still be moaning about this or that isn't fair, no matter how rare said idea is. We the players are terrible designers and history proves it.

I don't agree with removing either the AS50 or M107 from the game entirely.

I like the idea of upping the spawn rate on the "lesser" scoped rifles like the CZ550.

I don't like that the DMR can't be zeroed. I also don't like that weapons like the M16A2 cannot be zeroed, while the AKM can. My AR15A2, as well as every issued service rifle I've ever had (M16A2/M4) have adjustable rear apertures. Same with AK's, they have a rear leaf for elevation adjustments. Yes, it's harder to hit a target at 500m with irons, but it's completely doable.

The suggestion about removing the rangefinder from the game interests me, though. I'm curious what effect that would have.

Most people are aware of the script/duping issue, and why the numbers of the .50's are so inflated. I'm looking forward to rare items being rare again.

Edited by codave

It's a perma world, no matter how "rare" you span an item, even without "duping" the number will increase. You're going to make it slower but their number will increase anyway, it will require 6 months instead of just 1 .. but a rare weapon will be again common.

The only solution is to remove certain weapons from the game.. but this is not going to happens, because it wouldn't be liked by most PvP and ex-CoD players, that are (sadly) the ones that will pay for the final game (casual gamers are a way more and more than the hard-core platea).

It's a perma world, no matter how "rare" you span an item, even without "duping" the number will increase. You're going to make it slower but their number will increase anyway, it will require 6 months instead of just 1 .. but a rare weapon will be again common.

The only solution is to remove certain weapons from the game.. but this is not going to happens, because it wouldn't be liked by most PvP and ex-CoD players, that are (sadly) the ones that will pay for the final game (casual gamers are a way more and more than the hard-core platea).

exactly, cuz how many ppl do you think wuld hide a body that has an as50 on it just to slow down the rate that people get them?

exactly, cuz how many ppl do you think wuld hide a body that has an as50 on it just to slow down the rate that people get them?

This... plus you might have a small chance of dying because of a bug or a server restart so your body will disappears without anyone looting it. But these are small chances, and would only slow the inevitable process of weapons flooding. Unless someone here has an idea of resetting the database every X months, or placing a spawn limit according to the weapons circulating in the game (but then you risk to not spawn that weapon anymore if the current owner stop playing.. so it should be much more elaborate than this, ie: accounting the active weapons, etc.).

In other words the solution is much more complicate than just "lower the spawn rate or resolve the dupe issue".

Go play Lingor, Im yet to see a 50cal. despite the large amount of loot.

Sometime i think i'm playing a different game.. lol. I play Lingor regularry, and the M107 presence is alot more than in Chernarus (a AS50 is way more rare). Anytime i die i find another cal.50 within the first half hour of playing (i just sit on a populated server with an AKM near Calamar waiting for the first camper shooting... to fire him back).

Sometime i think i'm playing a different game.. lol. I play Lingor regularry, and the M107 presence is alot more than in Chernarus (a AS50 is way more rare). Anytime i die i find another cal.50 within the first half hour of playing (i just sit on a populated server with an AKM near Calamar waiting for the first camper shooting... to fire him back).

Calamar :) Im on the opposite side of the map :P

The whole "duping has made them far to common" is fucking bullshit!

I've found far more AS50s and M107 than any other rifle in the game, faaar more than any M24,SVD or CZ550.

It's supposed to be super-rare, as are many other things. Duping is the main problem.

FYI: I've found numerous heli crash sites lately with multiple AS50's, DMRs, L85s. It's a spawn chance bug imo lately, excluding the issue of dupes.

That is why im SVD it up when it come to sniping, pretty good weapon.

Not sure what you mean.. the AS50 is the god of all weapon, you can basically use it for anything, auto killing machine, even in close combat. SVD is not even a cal 50 .. so you can kill ppl only with headshot, coz the others will ALT+F4 right after the first hit.

Not sure what you mean.. the AS50 is the god of all weapon, you can basically use it for anything, auto killing machine, even in close combat. SVD is not even a cal 50 .. so you can kill ppl only with headshot, coz the others will ALT+F4 right after the first hit.

only problem is it doesnt work with nvgs unlike the dmr

.50 cals have become the makarov of DayZ, and it's starting to infect all servers by tainting it with duped gear and weapons.

I expect a challenge to finding rare weapons, not finding them on obvious tent locations.