disastr

Do not make DayZ mainstream noob friendly

I think Starcraft' date=' Battlefield, World of Warcraft were awesome and amazing. But Battlefield 18, "World of Warcraft : Revenge of the Revengers who got Revenge in the previous Revenge Revenge", and Starcraft 283 - those aren't the most interesting of games. But they make money.

What is happening right now, is that despite people saying they don't like "Free to play" games, you guys are shelling out a SHIT-TON of money to those games. If you want to see the future, that's your future.

All I can say, be a smart consumer. Don't just buy shit because everyone else is. Same rules apply to DayZ/ArmA.

[/quote']

It is because people have a false idea of what F2P is. F2P is now evolving into not being pay to win. It is proven by most games that allow you to buy yourself to be superman have very low populations or have failed.

A great example of the next generation of F2P games is Planetside 2.

Honestly Rocket I don't think you'll be here forever talking to us.

6680.jpg

People told me I'd loose my spirit when I joined the Air Force at 17.

They said the same thing when I re-enlisted in the Army at 28.

Again when I had to redo all my officer training as part of it.

Again when I got sent on exchange to redo (again) officer training in singapore with 18 year old.

They are saying it again now.

My point' date=' if two branches of the military couldn't break my spirit, resolve, sense of wonder, and disdain for the ordinary and worn path... then I honestly don't think you guys will be able to wear me down.

If I can't be directly connected to you guys, what is the point? I don't have a wife/kids. The thing I value most in life is interaction with people. That is why I like modding. My favorite part of E3 was discussing new concepts with people, watching kids totally ace ArmA3. Seeing all these new concepts, cultures, language, and ways of playing games growing in youth really gave me a kick. I want to be part of that, and that's why I am here.

Really, going forward. That is my one stumbling block with any developer/publisher/venture capitalist wanting to fund this project. Without the creative freedom, blunt honesty, and direct interaction this project is doomed to failure.

[/quote']

^This.

I am fully confident that rocket will be able to hold on.

Again when I got sent on exchange to redo (again) officer training in singapore with 18 year old.

My point, if two branches of the military couldn't break my spirit, resolve, sense of wonder, and disdain for the ordinary and worn path... then I honestly don't think you guys will be able to wear me down.

If I can't be directly connected to you guys, what is the point? I don't have a wife/kids. The thing I value most in life is interaction with people. That is why I like modding. My favorite part of E3 was discussing new concepts with people, watching kids totally ace ArmA3. Seeing all these new concepts, cultures, language, and ways of playing games growing in youth really gave me a kick. I want to be part of that, and that's why I am here.

Really, going forward. That is my one stumbling block with any developer/publisher/venture capitalist wanting to fund this project. Without the creative freedom, blunt honesty, and direct interaction this project is doomed to failure.

jesus, how old are you? you looked about 22 in that E3 interview......

jesus' date=' how old are you? you looked about 22 in that E3 interview......

[/quote']

I'm 31.

I wouldn't add Starcraft to that list. It's got a damn steep learning curve.

Battlefield and CoD' date=' yeah they're mainstream and easy. I trust Rocket not to fuck this up.

[/quote']

Just keep the perma death and it's wayyy far from mainstream. The only way rocket could mess this up is how he adds more content and the lore of how this all happened.

Exactly.. Perma Death is what signifies this game. Anyone who brings up the carebear fallacy hurt the game more than they know and only benefit THEM in the short-term. Look at Darkfall, Darkfall in 2008 had a massive population. People who suggested lowering the time to grind, and putting a cap on skills, were flamed by assholes who screamed carebear. 2012: Darkfall has about 1% of its population from launch because the devs didnt do shit about it (along with more mechanics that were never addressed)

jesus' date=' how old are you? you looked about 22 in that E3 interview......

[/quote']

I'm 31.

must been all freeway miles

HAHAHA. That made me smile! Brightened my day :D

HAHAHA. That made me smile! Brightened my day :D

my missus has just said "he is too fit to be in his thirties!"

:huh:

Too late. It's already mainstream, which has changed the dynamics of the game. Also, it's a very simple game, hard to get more noob friendly than it already is.

The first few weeks of the mod were the best. People took an interest in it as a niche within a niche. People chose to be bandits or survivors, and the split there was about even. You never knew if someone was going to shoot you or feed you. I was never once shot at when I spawned.

Then the game really caught on. People started telling people, those people told other people. It caught some media attention and popularity increased dramatically.

Now, you have a high chance of being shot at by 5 people grouping together with Skype, etc. Team/Deathmatch is how many people see it.

Face it, nothing ever stays the same. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Games change, just like everything does. If you don't like it, bugger off somewhere else.

I came with the band wagon like others but i too wish that it could go back. But look at it now the COD fags will be gone soon. Not enough run and gun here. Battlefield just released map pack soon it will get back to the niche it once was.

DayZ is a fad right now it will die soon then we will have this sweet game to ourselves to do our bidding.

Wierd thing is that every patch since the release of this game has made it less noob friendly (bandit skin removal, sickness, Ghillie suits (hard to see a bandit), ect.)

I would say rocket knows what he's doing, and not mainstreaming it.

Some of you people need to go outside and enjoy the sun occasionally.

Some of you people need to go outside and enjoy the sun occasionally.

How about you stop assuming about other people over the internet, tough guy behind the keyboard.

Completely off topic for the moment.

How would 'rate' your experience in the Air Force? I have been taking flying lessons since I turned 15, and I have racked up 70 hours in the Cessna. I wanted to join the Air Cadets, and my only reasoning not to go is because I would HATE shaving my head.

I was hoping to be a tactical airlift or SAR pilot in the CAF, which is a notch above the USAF in terms of training.

I don't have a wife/kids. The thing I value most in life is interaction with people.

Ladies, form a single, orderly line please.

YAH!!! fuck profit..

I think' date=' if done properly, DayZ can be extremely profitable. I'm no hippie, I think I'm a total realist. But I like to think, I'm going for the big win - trying to think 5-10 years ahead. Not just this development cycle. The big companies, that is what they do - just one cycle at a time (ahem... THQ, may they RIP).

Again, to reiterate. Chose wisely, be an informed consumer. Social media lets you do this now. You don't have to jump on the bandwagon anymore, and that is why sites like IGN and etc... will become irrelevant if they don't start valuing the real power: social media, streamers, youtubers.... basically: you. fucking. guys. The customer.

It's no longer a bullshit marketing statement, it's fact. And I think it is social media that has made that happen. What I love about it, is that now it means I can talk directly to you as a developer, argue with you, get mad, and all that. That was never possible before in development, for me at least. It's very liberating.

I agree completely and because we share the same vision, it's the very reason why your game is a hit, it is filling in the void corporations were afraid to step near. You understand what "Gamers want" and to top it off, you were able to put it together in a nice clean package for them to play your manifestation.

As for my original post, when I referred to noobs and not selling it to cater to them, I meant that. I believe change is good, but not the type that waters a game down for the average noob, when you kill competition, you kill off room for growth.

Dull games get boring fast, games that have amazing replay value, such as counter-strike 1.6 - never die. You have created a game that has the most amazing replay value... simple expansions and changes is all it is needed.

I'm truly addicted to this game, like a crack fiend.

I think Starcraft' date=' Battlefield, World of Warcraft were awesome and amazing. But Battlefield 18, "World of Warcraft : Revenge of the Revengers who got Revenge in the previous Revenge Revenge", and Starcraft 283 - those aren't the most interesting of games. But they make money.

What is happening right now, is that despite people saying they don't like "Free to play" games, you guys are shelling out a SHIT-TON of money to those games. If you want to see the future, that's your future.

All I can say, be a smart consumer. Don't just buy shit because everyone else is. Same rules apply to DayZ/ArmA.

[/quote']

Truth is that DayZ would probably make more money if they made a worse game that conformed to whatever fotm corporate buzzwords are being used, and used some business model designed by people that have never and will never be gamers.

But having said that, minecraft was an exception to the rule, DayZ is well on it's way to becoming one too.

Just know this, the second I see the game being designed around buzzwords like "Accessibility" I'm out. That word by definition means catering to people with special needs. Having said that, I know I am a small minority and for every gamer like me you lose you will gain 5 or 6 special needs players.

Such is life.

I honestly haven't played the game, I won't pretend I have, but this is honestly something I've been longing for for years! I can't stop myself from watching it when I have the time. The immense freedom. The cut-throat world. The unofficial teamwork and forced cooperation. It's all so entertaining and says a lot about people.

If this were to take a step in the other direction and try to be accessible to more people just so more people can play, then I won't even give this a second glance. I mean hell I'm willing to get a new ISP just to play this, as my current one sucks, but I agree with what I think the OP is trying to say. Rocket should keep doing what he does, not let it go elsewhere.

Sidenote: I've been reading a lot since I made an account and Rocket seems like a very cool developer, and I like how he presents himself. Kudos to him for originality, ingenuity, and the rare ability to hear his audience.