rocket

20 words or less: Spawning without a weapon

Yes

But make it so we can melee zombs/other players, keep it realistic tho non of that one slash death cod stuff :p make it an animation where you slit there throat or something

NO

Having tried this myself (after surviving an ocean spawn) I didn't find it fun. At first I thought it would be a good challenge, but it quickly became tedious. Cities/barns, etc become unsearchable unless you crawl for 30 minutes, which is just boring.

Also players wouldn't team up, that's a totally unrealistic expectation. Players will instead prefer to lone wolf in order to find the weapon first, whilst avoiding the burden of having to defend other unarmed players.

Better solution; much less starting ammo. Every shot should count. If this is an attempted solution to end the bean wars then instead you should simply make the rewards for killing a new player (food, ammo, etc) worse than the cost associated with killing them. E.g. 5 new mags received in exchange for 1 mag emptied into a player, I wonder why people kill on the beach?

YES

I already planned to swim in the sea until I lose all equipment next time I respawn. Unfortunately I haven't done so in two weeks... ^^

YES

But only if we can have melee somehow, otherwise I'd have to say no.

YES, but start us with a map.

Most people already have maps bookmarked or downloaded, it's almost silly that we don't start with one. And I'm not agreeing because of realism though. Honestly, am I the only one who has not only a gun but two rifles in my home with 100-400 rounds for each?

YES

Finding someone to team up with who has a gun has incentive' date=' and the person who has the gun feels more inclined to be "trusting".

[/quote']

VERY interesting point... but do you actually think this would happen? Interested to hear other thoughts on this.

A definite maybe. Shooting the unarmed guy is easy food/water: I wouldn't do it if I didn't need those badly, but some will. Some will just do it for target practice. I'd let the unarmed guy tag along probably, but the second they get a weapon (not hard unless you tweak weapon spawns) they're a threat just like anyone else.

However -- since you've been with that guy for a long time, you've "bonded", even if only a bit. Makes it less likely to murder eachother when a gun is found.

YES (I guess)

Make it random what you spawn with, so you maybe lucky and have a gun, or may have nothing at all.

Have a timer though on the items you spawn with, so people don't just respawn until they get a good roll.

No

I say try reduce the starting ammo and the crazy spawn rate of makarov ammo before removing it from the starting inventory entirely.

I want everyone to spawn with absolutely nothing to potentially balance the urge to farm the coast.

This.

YES, but not atm.

This feature sounds good, but at the moment, where you cant really get rid of zeds without a weapon and the fact that you cant reset aggro (we really need sth like this. driving 5 miles with a car and zeds still chasing is just stupid) makes it too frustrating.

YES' date=' but not atm.

This feature sounds good, but at the moment, where you cant really get rid of zeds without a weapon and the fact that you cant reset aggro (we really need sth like this. driving 5 miles with a car and zeds still chasing is just stupid) makes it too frustrating.

[/quote']

Look at the 1.7.1 changelog :)

Honestly' date=' am I the only one who has not only a gun but two rifles in my home with 100-400 rounds for each?

[/quote']

Ha, no, I have a nice collection and I'm sure a lot of people here do too. Thats a good start you have though, but you need more ammo, and more guns to help the neighbors defend their beans when shtf!

No, not yet.

We need more system where you need someone like the blood transfusion.

There's no incentive for having an unarmed survivor around

YES

If you start with nothing. I have been spawn camped already and I have a gun. I can see it being more rampant if we have free food and morphine.

YES

Currently when I respawn I don't feel as survivor, but well equipped policeman ready to start a small war.

Please remove completely gun from spawn and reduce quantity of supplies, so freshly spawned players will focus on surviving, not on killing or looting for better gun.

about the realism. I'm sure gun is illegal in chernarus since they were in war.

No.

Honestly I would prefer limited ammo...a 2 clip maximum. Just a suggestion, but a better option may be zero bandages at the start.

MAYBE

- At the moment running in with a Makarov to try and kill someone has no downside

- You should fear and avoid large towns upon spawning

- Having to find a weapon would be very hard

- I dont think that people would be able to camp spawn points because they themselves would be killed by others camping

- If anything this would prevent people DMing upon spawning

- New players should be given a gun, because it is very hard first starting the game & you dont want people to just stop playing on their first life

YES

+Immersion. It adds to the 'victory' of actually finding something, no matter how small.

And to me, bandits waiting to gank newly spawned players seem like easy kills for the even bigger fish.

YES

I mean shit, why not? Try it out. We might learn something from it, could be positive, could be negative.

YES

It can be frustrating but is more authentic. I dont own weapon and most propably I would not have one at the start of apocalypse. For sure I would have matches and knife instead.

YES

start with torch, knife & matches. NOTHING else. These are the only things you'd be likely have in your pocket. Everything else to be scavenged. Allow wildlife kills with knife. 100% random town spawn (not just coast)

YES

I think this is a great idea and should at least be given a try to see how it plays out.

CONS:

- It's not really gaming friendly. I work in the game industry' date=' if i propose something like this to my co-workers they'll think i'm going nuts. It would potentially send away many casual players. Whenever it is a good thing for "us" (hardcore gamers) it's not a good thing under a business point of view (obviously). But this is a decision that only the game owner/developer can keep (money-wise).

[/quote']

So, what you are saying is that this is a very good idea for DayZ and should definitely be implemented. Your co-workers position on this is (from what i understand from rockets posts) the opposite of what DayZ is trying to achieve.

I believe that implementing this would make it possible for Rocket to verify to what extent the supposed indiscriminate player killings on the beach is actually happening. Since this is such a big issue for many people (I have never experienced this myself. Been playing DayZ every night for the past 5-6 weeks), identifying this possible issue would be well within the purpose of the alpha and maybe finally putting an end to those discussions.

I would be surprised if Rocket then couldn't pull the following from the HIVE database:

* Get all deaths that occurred within 15 minutes after spawn and where player was unarmed.

* Check if killer has killed others within 15 minutes of the victims spawn and where the victim was unarmed.

* Check if killer looted body.

* Check if killer travels outside of coastal areas.

These queries would answer; how often does this happen? are these kills made for loot or for lulz? is it a specific group of players behaving this way?

Conclusion: Is this a problem or not?

If I had spawned without a weapon the first time I played DayZ, it would have seemed perfectly reasonable to me and I would not have questioned this. To me this is reason enough to implement this.

/Resident Emil

YES.

It'll teach new players that shooting everything isn't the only way to play the game. Also gives a safe period to form partnerships without risk.