zak757

An-2 Colt (Large Biplane)

Does it just land you on the closest airstrip or something?

Yes' date=' it does just that. Also it takes away a demand for decent pilots, because landing is the only thing with this plane that is somewhat difficult.

[/quote']

Because you can only land on airstrips obviously, it's not like there are hundreds of fields you can safely land and take off from that the autopilot can't help you with at all.

Another cool thing about the An-2 that you can't do in the huey is glide. Turn off the engine and you can perform a stealthy insertion almost anywhere on the map given enough initial altitude.

Yes' date=' it does just that. Also it takes away a demand for decent pilots, because landing is the only thing with this plane that is somewhat difficult.

[/quote']

Because you can only land on airstrips obviously, it's not like there are hundreds of fields you can safely land and take off from that the autopilot can't help you with at all.

Another cool thing about the An-2 that you can't do in the huey is glide. Turn off the engine and you can perform a stealthy insertion almost anywhere on the map given enough initial altitude.

Been trying this out in the editor and had some good results. So I tried making it more challenging by doing it at night with no NVG and some cars to light up a field, indicating the landing zone. Would be a cool scenario in DayZ. Unfortunately due to the settings or time of year I used, I could barely see anything. Instruments are dark as well so that doesn't go too well if you try turning.

Worked a lot better with NVG's and since they are in DayZ, one could perform a stealthy night insertion for sure ^^. Would love to see it happen.

You'd have to add parachutes, so you could jump in an emergency. But I like the idea. Imagine a team which drops from the sky to raid Cherno. Pretty cool idea.

You'd have to add parachutes' date=' so you could jump in an emergency.[/quote']

Why?

Sure it would be nice to have a way out in an emergency, but there's no necessity for there to be a safe way out for it to be in game.

I've been wondering why in the heck we don't have a bush plane in Day Z! Been hoping since day 1 that there would be a piper cub or something put in-game. I support this idea, and can't wait to see a plane flying around the Apocalypse.

Signed

PS: One thing that needs to be addressed is off-map flying. Big problem with anything that can cover a lot of ground is people stashing stuff where it can never be found. I totally applaud people that can find a good hiding spot within the map, and have nothing but contempt for people who exploit.

Also : what if a forumite that could model made a Sea Plane version?

Great idea, its balanced because its just means of transportation and it doesn't have any firepower. would love to see a plane flying overhead (Think Resident Evil: Afterlife)

and where should you land it?

rocket have to add bulldozers so you can make your own tiny airfield.

and where should you land it?

rocket have to add bulldozers so you can make your own tiny airfield.

Try reading the thread, it can land in small fields and even on hills if you're good.

Hell fire up the game and fly it around chernarus yourself, landing spaces are not hard to find at all. If you have a steady hand you can even land in the fucking streets of cherno.

I'd totally be a bush-pilot on some server, flying cases of beans/soda and medical supplies to people in need. I'd need a friendly-ish server, and global chat/radio. Then some volunteers to help me raid hospitals and supermarkets for supplies over and over again. :D

imho this should replace the Huey (or at least be more common than it) a civilian aircraft like the An-2 would be much more common than an American military helicopter

[/quote']

Yeah, the An-2 is really floaty. Even with the flaps practically vertical, it just glides forever. You have to point the nose at the ground just to land it. It would be cool if you landed in a field with the engines off, raided the place, and the moment you turn it back on, every zombie within a kilometer starts rushing you.

Another awesome scenario I'm picturing: it is night and the pilot has no NVG's. He calls his friends on sidechat to set up a landing strip, and they place a rectangular outline with road flares to make an airstrip.

I fully support this suggestion, it would be massive fun and very challenging to use.

I mean, putting your whole clan into one of these should be tantamount to suicide, but the ability to scout from the air (without weapons) could lead to some awesome ambushes and tense situations for everybody involved.

Perhaps the parachute could replace the backpack slot so you would have to store your backpack in the Colt while you dropped in, making parachuting not overpowered as if you want the tactical advantage of dropping out of the sky, you have to leave your extra supplies behind. Plus it is more realistic as parachutes, especially old ones, would be heavy and large.

+1

Because "Seal of approval" was in here!

i think to fly around with these you need to refill your fuel very often... so maybe we need a fuel-car that can save 100 liters of fuel?

but i love the idea ;)

Lots of positive replies so far, maybe a dayz staff member can shed some light on the subject. 125 posts should be enough to at least get a short opinion :D

How does one get their attention? PM is off I think.