Rastamaus

Cannibalism

If they made the game harder, it could be good, who knows...

One point I do not agree is how bad your humanity would get. I understand it would completely change a normal person but I see people with as50 sniping players without a care in the world except a good k/d to be more inhumane than somebody eating someone else while they are very hungry. But that's just me.

• Like 2

So the player would be a zombie in a sense. Immune to other zombies?

Not entirely. They may have a reduced agro rate, and maybe even a blend sort of perk, but they would still be able to agro and be pursued by them.

C'mon Reggie me old fruit, use your brains eh? (or did the zombies eat em all) - this is nothing like adding rape to a game - (it's ok to run over nuns with cars and beat prostitutes to death with your bear fists like in Grand Theft Auto though right?).

In a fictional world, like that depicted in DayZ, and even in the real world where people are placed in the unenviable position of being confronted by the horrifying choice 'Do I starve to death or eat human flesh?' good people have chosen to eat human flesh. The chilean miners admitted considering it, the plane crash survivors in the andes actually did it, most of them medical students, Japanese officers in the burmese jungle did it, History is littered with examples and some cultures still engage in it, although it's becoming extremely rare.

Anyone who has read the book or seen the film 'The road' will know just how frighteningly believable it would be, after an apocalyptic event, for certain folks to sink to the required depths and think nothing of hunting down and killing others in order to engage in the act of consuming manflesh.

Although the idea of cannibalism is highly disturbing to right thinking people, there are certain circumstances where it could conceivably be forgiven, rape however can never be justified - there is no plausible situation where a person could be faced with the dilemma 'do i rape that person or do i die?'.

If that clumsy comparison forms the sole basis for your objections to the inclusion of cannibalism in this magnificent horror game then i'm afraid you have no real objection at all!

I never said that cannibalism would not happen IRL. In fact, I agree it would be common in most apocalyptic scenarios. What I said was that it doesn't need to be included in DayZ, mainly because of the negative press the mod will get. It's not like GTA. Cannibalism is on a different wavelength than running over nuns and prostitutes.

In my opinion, cannibalism will detract far more from DayZ than it will ever add. Seriously, do you really want a bunch of maniacs running around who instead of simply killing some one for their beans/gear, are slaughtering people only to eat them? Not to mention that new spawns would be completely thrown under the bus if this was implemented. Bandits would simply view fresh spawns as another food source.

Seriously, do you really want a bunch of maniacs running around who instead of simply killing some one for their beans/gear, are slaughtering people only to eat them? Not to mention that new spawns would be completely thrown under the bus if this was implemented. Bandits would simply view fresh spawns as another food source.

haha, that is fucked up. But that is why IMO it has potential within the frame of this game - It is horrofying and terrible, and you should dispise those that have resorted to it. That is till your crawling through the wilderness with the clawed specter of hunger tearing at your insides!!

Why is it ok for books and movies to portray these acts? What is so dramaticly different about it being in a game?

For me you can portray anything in a game, just like any other media - as long as it is within the correct context. Canibalism is clearly within the context of this game.

Has anyone seen the movie Ravenous with Guy Pierce? You could have good cannibles...

(Also, since when has any press been bad press :) )

• Like 2

I never said that cannibalism would not happen IRL. In fact, I agree it would be common in most apocalyptic scenarios. What I said was that it doesn't need to be included in DayZ, mainly because of the negative press the mod will get. It's not like GTA. Cannibalism is on a different wavelength than running over nuns and prostitutes.

In my opinion, cannibalism will detract far more from DayZ than it will ever add. Seriously, do you really want a bunch of maniacs running around who instead of simply killing some one for their beans/gear, are slaughtering people only to eat them? Not to mention that new spawns would be completely thrown under the bus if this was implemented. Bandits would simply view fresh spawns as another food source.

Oh Reggie, *sighs*, allow me to deal with your comeback point by point.

1 - I never said that you said cannibalsim wouldn't happen in real life, I simply used rl examples to illustrate it's clear moral distinction from rape.

2 - As Holk ^^ states there is no such thing as bad publicity, as sad as that may be, just look at GTA and the way the press lay into it every time a new title is released, this kind of rightious indignation just fans the flames of public interest and is guaranteed to send sales soaring to record levels.

3 - If you truly believe, even after we established cannibalisms potential to be forgiven in certain circumstances, that it is on a different plane to murdering nuns and prostitutes....... well, after all you do think it's like rape too so maybe I can't answer that one, only you can know how your mind works.

4 - Of course I don't want a bunch of maniacs running around trying to eat me, or being viewed as a food source by bandits in just the same way I don't want to be killed for my gear or attacked by zombies but that is why I play DayZ, it is full of the potential for things happening to me that I don't want to happen. This is called jeopardy and more of it would only enhance the playing experience.

Look Reggie, I can see you clearly love DayZ and don't want it to come under fire from the over sensitive liberal quarters of the international press, I see that you care deeply about what you believe to be right and I respect that, I also get that the very idea of cannibalism deeply disturbs you and on this at least we can agree, however, I feel it could take this game to a new level and add a dimension that does not exist in any orther game as far as I know.

Edited by Guetapens
  • Like 2

Why is it ok for books and movies to portray these acts? What is so dramaticly different about it being in a game?

Mainly because in books and movies you have fictional people who aren't under your control committing these acts. You are simply reading the story/watching the movie. In DayZ, you yourself are solely responsible for your actions.

Look Reggie, I can see you clearly love DayZ and don't want it to come under fire from the over sensitive liberal quarters of the international press, I see that you care deeply about what you believe to be right and I respect that, I also get that the very idea of cannibalism deeply disturbs you and on this at least we can agree, however, I feel it could take this game to a new level and add a dimension that does not exist in any orther game as far as I know.

Yeah, it looks like we're not going to be able to come to an agreement. However, I do appreciate that you were able to see my true intentions. I know you feel deeply convicted that this idea will improve on DayZ, and I applaud you for suggesting it.

• Like 1

Mainly because in books and movies you have fictional people who aren't under your control committing these acts. You are simply reading the story/watching the movie. In DayZ, you yourself are solely responsible for your actions.

I don't see what is wrong with that? Let people be responsible for their actions. Why does the 'line' have to be drawn for us? As long as there are some solid concequence to the action (especially if it can be impossed by other players/groups) and it is within the correct context, I don't see what the issue really is. Maybe it is you think gamers just arn't mature enough...or more likely that the ratings board won't :) .

I just feel that the differation between books/movies and video games is based in some arcane school of thought. If a game is aimed at a mature audience, why can't it have mature themes/features?

Movie and books are entertainment, and their basic format has been accepted for decades. They may contain all sorts of horrible things - but we read them, and watch them for fun. My point is that that is the same reason we play games. So in effect IMO there is no difference.

Edited by Hoik
  • Like 1

I think we're worse than zombies if we eat other humans. Why are zombies monsters? Because they eat humans, right?

So consider that they don't think it through, they're driven by a primal urge. Can't really blame them, right?

So how are you any better than them if your thought process tells you it's fine to eat other human beings.

The reasons this won't happen in the standalone;

1) It limits the audience

2) It's a feature that wastes time and takes away from other core features (an in-depth wildlife system for example)

That being said, the fact that the standalone will at some point be moddable, this is an element that could definitely be added in.

Nice idea, but some limits should be put on cannibals. Like these:

1) You cannot become a cannibal from scratch - first you need to have your humanity already significantly lowered.

2) Maniacal laughter when another player is nearby (or in your sights) seems to be a nice idea.

3) Bloody looks, twisted smile on a face. (like a big "shoot me, or im gonna eat your leg" sign)

4) inability to eat canned food, when your humanity is extremely low.

5) it may be a little harsh, but inability to use any primary weapon but a hatchet? (wanna be a maniac - be it! guns are for pussies, right?)

Edited by darquan
  • Like 1

Nice idea, but some limits should be put on cannibals. Like these:

1) You cannot become a cannibal from scratch - first you need to have your humanity already significantly lowered.

2) Maniacal laughter when another player is nearby (or in your sights) seems to be a nice idea.

3) Bloody looks, twisted smile on a face. (like a big "shoot me, or im gonna eat your leg" sign)

4) inability to eat canned food, when your humanity is extremely low.

5) it may be a little harsh, but inability to use any primary weapon but a hatchet? (wanna be a maniac - be it! guns are for pussies, right?)

That's pretty far from the cannibals seen in The Walking Dead part 2. Not sure all cannibals are acting in the same way.

And forget the thing about limiting primary weapons to hatchets for some players, Rocket will never go with it.

There's cannabalism in Fallout 3 and Skyrim, ain't no-one cared.

Either that or I merely didn't research much into it.

• Like 1

I think that's a cool idea. I don't know if I could really do it in a post Apocalypse, but in DayZ if I find another player without beans and I have the option to "eat" the player while my food is blinking why not?

Also, I don't think players in IRL post Apocalypse would be sitting on a hill just sniping people for shits and giggles either, but they do that anyway.

Me and my group were talking about this the other day,

Although the chance of Rocket implementing this is pretty slim...

Going round eating people essentially makes you a zombie... that can shoot...

I was going to suggest this one because I've been thinking about it occasionally in-game. Basically, you just give the option to use the combat knife on a dead survivor as you would on an animal, but you attribute some serious humanity penalty to it or something like that as a drawback. Not only does it simulate what some people might actually do in a post apocalyptic setting when food is scarce, but it also adds options. Say you've got two guys lost in the woods out of food, no animals around, and one falls and breaks their leg and bleeds out. Now the surviving member of the pair has the option to go "Sorry man... meat is meat..." and get himself a ice hot plate of Steve to keep himself going until he can find his way to safety. The game's meant to be about survival, and is meant to be hardcore. Why not give people ALL the options? (draw straws to see who gets to die to feed the rest of the party, for example)

• Like 1

since they are going to add children i say go full fledged, lets go to the bottom of the pit, add canibalism or else the bandits who are fathers might get more angry! They have mouths to feed and everyone is killing all the cows! That is also a good thing to add if food spawns must go lower in accord of how looted it is.

• Like 1

I was going to suggest this one because I've been thinking about it occasionally in-game. Basically, you just give the option to use the combat knife on a dead survivor as you would on an animal, but you attribute some serious humanity penalty to it or something like that as a drawback. Not only does it simulate what some people might actually do in a post apocalyptic setting when food is scarce, but it also adds options. Say you've got two guys lost in the woods out of food, no animals around, and one falls and breaks their leg and bleeds out. Now the surviving member of the pair has the option to go "Sorry man... meat is meat..." and get himself a ice hot plate of Steve to keep himself going until he can find his way to safety. The game's meant to be about survival, and is meant to be hardcore. Why not give people ALL the options? (draw straws to see who gets to die to feed the rest of the party, for example)

I was out with my bodyguard the other night, in the middle of nowhere we were returning from a medical mission where I'd just saved someone who was starving to death by giving them my last piece of cooked meat. I hadn't realised it was my last piece of meat until just before we saved the patient, my bodyguard declared he had 'lot's of food' so I dropped the precious meat and another life saved we were on our way. A short while later when I noticed my hunger indicator flashing red I asked my partner to lend me some food and he declared that he did in fact have none, 'I was sure I had 2 beans in my backpack' etc and was close to red himself. We realised with horror that we had a matter of minutes to find some beans or sardines or an animal to kill or I'd be dead and him soon after.....

...as those minutes ticked by, as we frantically and fruitlessly searched the farm buildings and deer stands and scanned the horizon for the blessed silhouette of a cow I remembered looking at my bodyguard as his disconsolate form emerged from another shed, his pathetic voice declaring again 'nothing in here 'cept jerry cans' and despite all the hours of companionship and shared adventures, the times he's saved my life and I his, I knew that if I could have killed and eaten him I would have.

Please devs, include this in the standalone, it might just save our lives.

Edited by Rastamaus
  • Like 4

I was out with my bodyguard the other night, in the middle of nowhere we were returning from a medical mission where I'd just saved someone who was starving to death by giving them my last piece of cooked meat. I hadn't realised it was my last piece of meat until just before we saved the patient, my bodyguard declared he had 'lot's of food' so I dropped the precious meat and another life saved we were on our way. A short while later when I noticed my hunger indicator flashing red I asked my partner to lend me some food and he declared that he did in fact have none, 'I was sure I had 2 beans in my backpack' etc and was close to red himself. We realised with horror that we had a matter of minutes to find some beans or sardines or an animal to kill or I'd be dead and him soon after.....

...as those minutes ticked by, as we frantically and fruitlessly searched the farm buildings and deer stands and scanned the horizon for the blessed silhouette of a cow I remembered looking at my bodyguard as his disconsolate form emerged from another shed, his pathetic voice declaring again 'nothing in here 'cept jerry cans' and despite all the hours of companionship and shared adventures, the times he's saved my life and I his, I knew that if I could have killed and eaten him I would have.

Please devs, include this in the standalone, it might just save our lives.

You, sir, know exactly where I'm coming from!

and maybe you will be able to get sickness,infection.. the body could be dead long time and it could be infected... ;) please.. this suggestion is awfull but realistic.. but i still want a little disvantage of this.. because its just... ... ...

I say add Cannibalism to dayz, but make it f***** up, and very disturbing.

Edited by thomas28
  • Like 1