Sign in to follow this  
Sula

I'm not impressed by Lingor Island ... yet

I spent this morning running around Lingor Island for an hour or two. It was my first visit but it wasn't very exciting. Despite a very busy server, I couldn't find a single other player.

Have you played it? Do you find you come across other players? After I found a map, I realised it's bigger than I thought, so will probably find everyone at the airstrip. :huh:

I find it to be a mediocre substitute for Chernarus. It's guaranteed to take your gun and pack when you swim, and you almost always wind up trapped on a coastline, running around looking for a bridge that may not even be there. It infuriated me.

That said, the environment was good, and the buildings are much better. And loot comes much easier (although I count that as a con, not a pro). And there's more zombies.

I don't really like it, but a lot of people from FTS do, so I'm not sure if I'm the exception to the rule.

• Like 1

I saw two players so far, one was whining/panicking on direct while running from Zeds and the other was careless and shooting his Lee Enfield. So far the island itself doesn't impress me...i can't understand the hype. It might be bigger than you thought but not much more different from Chernarus if you compare the playable land mass.

A few good things are the Zeds and more buildings...

Edited by Enforcer
  • Like 1

Hey Sula,

I´ve played lingor only for 10 hours or so, but i have to say that i like Cherno more than lingor. I don´t like the environment, it feels not as authentic than the "original". One thing about lingor, what is way better is that you can enter 95 percent of the buildings. Espacially in the bigger citys it feels way more realistic than the dayz "village mocks". I am sure the dev team will introduce this to the final product at the end of this year!

Another really annoying thing while playing was that i only found russian servers to play on. And not one single russian was able to communicate in english. Frickin nightmare.

• Like 1

Another really annoying thing while playing was that i only found russian servers to play on. And not one single russian was able to communicate in english. Frickin nightmare.

you can use dayzcommander to search for servers. Or go to http://arma2.swec.se/server/list

I will say that most of the action happens in the city of Calamar, it's the biggest on the map and close to spawns. Overall, the map might be confusing especially to newcomers, but I wouldn't label it as bad. That would be like all the noobs who complain they died of starvation in Chernarus. OMG IT SO HARDZ I HATE THIS GAEM!

The artifacts were fixed, and so were the tents. I also see a lot more vehicles spawning but that is probably because there is less places to horde them and they get destroyed.

While 90% of Chernarus players were either getting owned by scripters or artifacts Lingor players just played on.

Dova, I agree, food and drink come far too easily. I can't carry anymore. It's too heavy!

Enforcer, I agree. I was in a town on my own, running with a train of 30 Zds after me. We had fun but then I bid my farewells and moved on.

Hi Rudson. I agree with your points. :thumbsup: I could only find one server and the only people to speak were Russians, which I kind of liked. They were probably talking about the dumb English people who no speako any lingo excepto Englisho! :huh: And who can blame them. People around the world amaze me with their ability to learn languages so well. :thumbsup: What's that you're holding up in your pic? Some zombie form? You have to apply to kill zombies? :o

Edit - like I said, it's a "yet". I'll give it time. :)

Edited by Sula

I heard the community there is more focused and stuff, less scripters, more pvp, but that's just from what a friend told me. I'm still debating on it though because the admins can do w/e they want since it's not connected to the main hive am i right? I'll probably carry over when things get slightly more FUBAR in Chernarus that what it already is.

edit: Lingor's map is 10x10 (don't know if this includes water or total land mass) whereas Chernarus is a 14x12

Edited by Littleassassin2

While tents were broken on Chernarus and I was carrying everything good I had. I decided to give Lingor Island a go since I had nothing to lose.

It was... unique, first life I lived for a couple of hours, got fairly well kitted out. Went to Calamar, told nobody to shoot me on the airfield because I just wanted to shoot a cow in the face, (Which was right on the runway), so I ran up to it, owned it, and then another player came and greeted me on the airstrip, and we ended up talking and became friends, and I made quite a few friends through side chat, which I missed so much. Makes the game so much more interesting.

We ended up looting the Airfield and then at the Barracks a sniper on a hill annihilated me through the barracks window. Respawned at Pista, met another guy who was friendly, and on side chat we met up at the gas station, explored a little, met another guy who was also friendly, 3 strong we explored some more, one of them got a DMR from a dead guy, while running from a horde we came under fire, our DMR guy put him down after a firefight, I got hit and dropped to 1600 blood, but was still alive, then we continued to escape from the zombies up a hill, and then a group of 4 - 5 bandits appeared from all angles and massacred us on said hill with machine guns and snipers. It was intense.

Respawned, went to a city, got sniped. Respawned, went to an airfield, got sniped. Respawned, again made my way to a nearby city, got sniped.

Respawned, talked on side chat about where I was (Maruko I believe), the first sniper to kill me at Calamar ended up being a pretty cool guy, and he was near me, so he (in a bandit skin), met me where I spawned and gave me a Ghillie and an M24 with 7 mags, we made our way to the Maruko Airfield, and while exploring an office near the airfield we came under sniper fire from across the airfield while on the roof, took cover and then we got into a massive firefight with bandits, we put down atleast 3, I seen a survivor through my scope run up to a prone ghillie guy who was shooting us and unload a SAW into his head, I let him be. My companion fell off the roof and died, so I was left with 0 experience with a sniper rifle without knowing how to use mildots for distance, fighting in a war against bandits. One of them had balls of steel and sprinted across the airfield at me using a tree near me as cover so I couldn't see/shoot him. I finished off all of my M24 ammo trying to hit this sprinting target, then he entered the office, I dropped the empty M24 and equipped my axe, met him on the stairs, took a swing but swiftly got put down by an M9SD.

Respawned on Pista again, swiftly escaped Pista after a quick looting of Villa Mara and Benio (hate Pista now), found a heli crash nearby, got an AS50 and SAW with 1 mag each. Equipped the AS50, stuck the SAW in my backpack. Then logged off, haven't been on in 2 days since tents are now fixed in Chernarus.

So it was fun for the most, I met more people than I have ever met before, got into firefights which I have never experienced before, and just messed around. It's like a big playground. Really good map and atmosphere, although I'm sure now and again the environmental sounds would throw in a couple of stepping sounds to make me crap myself.

It's ok when it's not buggy, i fell through a wall and broke my leg in one of them lovely buildings. Also buildings with only one exit and one that sometimes won't let you out the doorway, Wtf is that all about. That's really the only thing it's got going for it really, apart from more loot.

In places it looks amazing, real tropical feel, yet in others it looks very random, lots of the towns etc don't make sense if you ask me. Still it makes a break from Cherno I guess but doesn't feel as "rral" deer to me.

Looks really good, but all servers I was on if I died I spawned back 10min before I died with my stuff. Cool at first, but when I got awesome weapons and logged of too play later I spawned back from before without the new stuff. Anoying!!!

Also, next time on a different server I logged of to play later. Got back on and had spawned without any of my stuff. Bye bye m24+m4a3cco :/

So I've given that up for now, staying on the original

Yawn map. Waaaaay too much space and not enough buildings; it took running around for a couple of hours trying to figure out where I was before I found a town that was SWAMPED with zeds and players willing to kill on sight (got chased out of town the second I popped my head up to survey where I was at). I'll stick with Chernarus for now.

Despite the "enterable" buildings Lingor has nothing on Chernarus (location wise, not talking about other benefits or drawbacks of the private hive server)

Lingor is boring nad linear.

High end tier military loot points are not properly defined

Im a fan o lingor... i got kinda jaded with ole chernarus. Obviously way more towns with eneterable buildings, makes for vastly improved fibua combat. There are more vehicles as a whole, but not over done either. More military sites. Which i dont think is a bad thing, spreads the chaos a bit. The prison is the equivlent o NW air field... not one of the air fields. Its just four barrack buildings. And i like the contrast in terrains.. reminds me a lot o east timor back in the day honestly.

Im curious about the wreaked mi8's and c130's ive come across... im assuming they will be spawning equipment at some stage?

Looks really good, but all servers I was on if I died I spawned back 10min before I died with my stuff. Cool at first, but when I got awesome weapons and logged of too play later I spawned back from before without the new stuff. Anoying!!!

Also, next time on a different server I logged of to play later. Got back on and had spawned without any of my stuff. Bye bye m24+m4a3cco :/

So I've given that up for now, staying on the original

You're probably playing on servers with private hives. Keep in mind Lingor Island servers don't have an official hive that 95% of the servers use. There's server-specific hives, the Vilayer-rented server hive, the dayzlingor.tk hive, etc. Try and keep track of what server you play on, and stick there every time you play!

Edited by metaminer

Hey Sula,

I´ve played lingor only for 10 hours or so, but i have to say that i like Cherno more than lingor. I don´t like the environment, it feels not as authentic than the "original". One thing about lingor, what is way better is that you can enter 95 percent of the buildings. Espacially in the bigger citys it feels way more realistic than the dayz "village mocks". I am sure the dev team will introduce this to the final product at the end of this year!

I fucking love your siggy.

I like it. Even though it's not realistic it's nice having side chat so you can talk to people. This is the first time I've actually been able to play with other people and not get shot in the face lol. So I say, so far so good.

Yeah the side chat is great, I miss it so much.

It actually allowed me to meet up with others, communicate with people I see in the distance instead of needing to get REALLY close and people could ask for help and others would assist. I wouldn't have enjoyed Lingor Island half as much I reckon if it didn't have side chat. It opens the game up so much. Chernarus can get pretty boring playing solo, knowing you need to be up someones ass to actually communicate with them, and by then they've usually killed you.

And, it was great seeing people call out snipers, warning everyone else about bandits locations, I met so many cool people on Lingor Island through the side chat.

Lingor island was boring, and I was done with it in fifteen minutes.

Here's the breakdown of my fifteen minutes:

1: Spawned at the south airfield. (Start)

2: Found a machinegun, ghilisuit, coyote, NVG and a GPS in the nearby military points. (10 minutes.)

3: Took some AS50 fire but got away. (5 minutes, Elektro trained me well.)

I feel like Lingor misses the point of DayZ. It's not a survival map, it's a deathmatch map. There is WAY too much loot and and thusly no struggle. In DayZ there is the stress of losing important gear and having to work very hard to get it all back, whereas Lingor hands you an assault rifle and a side of beans on a silver platter. What makes DayZ scary and fun is meeting new people without sidechat (adds to the risk-reward factor), and the hard to find weapons and tools. There is no real risk in Lingor, thus to me it is just a slow paced shooter.