nudedude

Tent mechanics - please clarify

Yeah, so...

I've never used tents and im just wondering how they work.

How many slots do they have?

Are they server bound or bound to your character somehow?

How rare are they ? (drops)

How many can you put up at once?

thx for answers! :D

Edited by LanceBromance

The tents seem so worthless to me that they spawn on one server. THey just log out when you log out and you can find you're tent on any server.

Despite reading the DayZ wiki DayZDB and other forum posts, I felt it neccessary to ask you guys for help in clarifying tent mechanics, as of 1.7.2.6. I'm new to tenting.

Some of my specific questions are:

- Ownership. I know that the owner only can pitch and repack a tent, but can any player "save" effectively?

If I put stuff in a buddy's tent, will my save take effect, or do I need owner to save properly through server restarts?

- What happens when owner dies? Does he still retain ability to repack a tent?

- when a random player comes across my tent, loots and then saves it, is that save effective (I believe it should be)?

- Can a tent be saved any number of times?

- How do server restarts/crashes affect tents. If I save my tent just before a server goes down, can I expect the tent to revert to an earlier save point, disappear, or lose items?

- Not interested in duping so please don't comment on that aspect

- Is the tent 53 slots (dayZwiki) or 65 slots (dayZDB)?

- What bugs/mistakes can cause me to lose items, (other than overloading or not saving)

- Please provide any fine points in the art of tenting you might have discovered. Anything that would prevent one from properly storing gear.

thanks in advance,

Not sure if tents are still bugged but basically anything you take out the tent will appear back in it after a server restart (known as duping). Saving seems to work and anyone can do it and only the owner can pack the tent up (something that needs to be fixed). Tents have gone up I think they will hold 10 weapons or items that go in ur toolbelt. 5 rucksacks and 60 odd items. If you reach the limit, the items will be randomly placed outside the tent.

To place a tent, go into ur gear and right click to place, usually it will failt so basically use ur movement keys to move a fraction (the gear menu will stay up) and try again. Repeat this till you get the tent down (they can practically be placed anywhere but it can take a while)

- Yes, any player can save anything in anyone's tent.

- No, when the owner dies and spawns again he is no longer the owner of the tent, the dead character is so he can continue using it but cannot pack it up.

- Yes

- Yes

- I would try and save it at least a few minutes before a restart, can take a few minutes to update to the hive.

- OK

- Not sure, it's 10 primary guns though, assuming it's 53 items + 10 primary guns based on that.

- Tents disappear if you die and nobody uses/takes/replaces items from it in a 7 day period.

- Setting up your tent inside a rock/tree can be risky, they sometimes move slightly on restarts making them inaccessible, players can destroy/flatten your tent by driving over it in a vehicle.

Edited by smasht_AU
  • Like 4

Thanks so far. Good notes.

I had no idea tents can shift during server restarts

Also forgot to ask, if anyone has any experience with DayZ or ArmaII patches.

Do these have a tendency to wipe tents/contents or otherwise affect things?

I'm aware that the patch itself can bug tents out (as in 1.7.2.5) ..I'm just asking about the process of patching.

Thanks again,

Edited by taco241

I pitched a tent yesterday. It was in a slope amid pine trees. Pitching went fine at first try, but afterwards I couldn't save it or pack it up. I could access the menu, but there were only options for 'gear at old camping tent' and 'gear', no options for saving or packing. Like it was someone elses tent. Needless to say, the tent was wiped out at a server restart. Is this a common bug?

my tent disapeared today it stayed for 4 server restarts no problem server restarted at 2 now its gone vehicle aswell

- No, when the owner dies and spawns again he is no longer the owner of the tent, the dead character is so he can continue using it but cannot pack it up.

- Yes

- Yes

- I would try and save it at least a few minutes before a restart, can take a few minutes to update to the hive.

- OK

- Not sure, it's 10 primary guns though, assuming it's 53 items + 10 primary guns based on that.

- Tents disappear if you die and nobody uses/takes/replaces items from it in a 7 day period.

- Setting up your tent inside a rock/tree can be risky, they sometimes move slightly on restarts making them inaccessible, players can destroy/flatten your tent by driving over it in a vehicle, with satchel charges, grenades, or an m203

fixed and thanks I had similar questions since the new patch and appreciate the detailed answers

my tent disapeared today it stayed for 4 server restarts no problem server restarted at 2 now its gone vehicle aswell

There is a bug where all tents and vehicles vanish after a server restart, if that's the case here they should reappear at the next restart.

Edited by smasht_AU

yes in my case all tents re-spawned...but my super hidden weapon tent was empty and I mean even crap empty..couldn't have been looted.

2 DMRs and 1 AS50 with a lot ammo...gone :( maybe they need an extra server restart more?

Only the owner can pack the tent, death removes said ability.

Anyone can save a tent.

Tents have infinite saves except for version 1.7.2.5 where only the first save works.

Saving a tent minutes before a server restart generally works unless it doesn't sync with the hive in time; to be sure, try to save it 10-15 minutes before, at least.

If a tent is colliding with any object or isn't placed on perfectly flat ground, the first server restart will trigger an adjustment where the tent is repositioned to match the terrain and this causes all items to be wiped. To be safe, wait for the first restart before putting items in it.

Lag can cause save delays and thus placing items in the tent and saving it a few minutes later could be considered an extra precaution.

• Like 1

Broke my leg tonigth trying to get into the tent. Obviosly that is not the way to use it... Wish this thread had some better answers than "Too lazy to check the wiki"

One thing is for sure, if you try to place it in a tree expect to die.

Edit: ahh zombie thread

Edited by Nibl

- Yes

- Yes

- OK

- Setting up your tent inside a rock/tree can be risky, they sometimes move slightly on restarts making them inaccessible, players can destroy/flatten your tent by driving over it in a vehicle.

This.

For gear specifics, tents can hold:

[10] Weapons/Tools

[50] Items/Equipment

[4] Backpacks

- Yes

- Yes

- OK

Perfect answer.

If a tent is colliding with any object or isn't placed on perfectly flat ground, the first server restart will trigger an adjustment where the tent is repositioned to match the terrain and this causes all items to be wiped. To be safe, wait for the first restart before putting items in it.

Now that information is worth some beans.

Primary weapons take 10 places each, I'm nearly certain of that.

I have one tent with 3 weapons and a load of other single slot items.

When I over-charge the tent, some stuff spews out a few meters behind.

I'm still not sure in which order gear gets kicked out but I think its alphabetic.

Correct me if I'm incorrect.

Well.

I dont have a server anymore, so this way I cannot test if the server glitched or just if the tents didnt saved.

Yesterday Ive got some tents to store food and ammo, and pitched it. Today, I logged on and cant see the tents.

So, a old question remains.

Are the tents saving or not?

Or it was just a normal Restart Bug?

Im worried about it.