Sign in to follow this  
TommieK

Starting character classes?

I hope this idea hasn't been discussed before and I missed it in the forums, but here goes..

I was thinking it would be cool do be able to choose classes that coincide with your play style.Similar to how buildings spawn according the the building type, random items in them the player could also start out with certain random items of that class. I know everyone is thinking ooh military would be the only good class, but I think it would be easy to balance the classes. That being said here's some ideas for classes:

Civilian - 1x rare 1x uncommon 1x common grocery store item, 1x rare 1x common residential item

Police - 1x uncommon 1x common fire station item

Farmer - 2x rare x1 common barn item, 4x food item

Military - 1x uncommon 1x commonmilitary item

Survivalist - 2x uncommon deer stand item, 1x backpack item

Mechanic - 6x uncommon garage item, tool box, 1x common vehicle

I like random items personally, but they could start with fixed items. Anyone have any suggestions?

• Like 2

too overpowered.

Thanks for the input, but are you saying that starting classes are overpowered in general or that the starting items that I listed are?

you forgot to add artillery unit on that list and welcome brother.

Noted brotha and thanks. How would you want to see this class start?

Keep in mind that everything including your character is volatile in this game. If you run out of ammo or cannot maintain your vehicle then they will become useless. I know they game had a starting weapon that was taken out for a reason and if that throws the balance too much, then just have them spawn with the other random items and no weapon or maybe just a little melee weapon?

No. People would just kill themselves to get a class they like the most...

That isn't how this works.....

Edited by Haplo

Artillery is a stupid idea. All buildings would be destoryed and there would be no available loot or cover for players. An artilery class would ruin the dynamic of the game. The idea of the game is to survive, and only using the basic necesities to do so, so having an artillery class would in no way contribute to the basic survival of any player.

Rant over.

How about making random starting items but NO WEAPONS! Such as spawn with chemlights instead of a flashlight or a hunting knife instead of painkillers? A map instead of a bandage? Just examples. Weapons in the hands of a just-spawned will ruin the balance, but such things will not.

Also, ppl already tend to kill themselves until they spawn near balota/cherno/electro - so things will hardly change.

• Like 1

I like the idea of the no weapon random spawn.

But you would have the case of people killing them selfs on the spawn just in the hope that they respawn with better items.

When every one spawns the same items to start, its all the same goal. just go out and survive as best you can, with what you find. the less people spawn with the better.

Personally id say get rid of bandages painkillers and the backpack.

Edited by SheriffHD

Mechanic - 6x uncommon garage item, tool box, 1x common vehicle

Give people a vehicle for spawning?

Because that wont ruin the whole fucking game.

• Like 1

I would more see classes like, cosmetic only.

You start out in different outfits depending on the proffesion you choose when you create your character. And the proffessions should be what you were before the zombie outbreak.

Like if you were a family man, you start out with casual clothes. If you choose to start as a fireman you will look in a certain way. Just a few examples. I duno.

But I vote for no classes which will change gameplay mechanics.

Thanks for all the replies. I knew some of the requests were a little steep and some would call them game breaking.

Personally I would like to see starting melee weapons.More people would have a melee weapon than painkillers and a flashlight if we're talking about realism. For game mechanics sake I don't see how starting with melee weapons would break a game. It would still be a gamble if you had to get close enough to use it. I would like to see more types of melee and makeshift type weapons in the game personally. Like boards with nails in them or pipes, sticks and stones... you get the idea lol.

Option #1: Every class has it's own starter melee weapon and random starter items and outfits

Option #2: Every class has it's own random starter items and outfits

Option #3: Every class has it's own starter outfits

Also should the player be able to choose his class or should it be random?

I do like at least the idea of having people start out with classes and random items, even if that means no weapons/vehicles.

Maybe a lite skill system, but it shouldn't affect your character. It would cause a lot of Kos.