rocket

IF this was an actual game...

I've been playing League since before Poppy was released, and I'm gonna come right out and say you're wrong.

The game may not be pay2win in the standard sense, but there is a CLEAR advantage to those with more champions, runes/pages, and IP in general.

- Game purchase.

- Both community or studio servers.

- Would pay for Kickstarter.

- Game Purchase Only

- Studio Developed

- Community Servers primarily (this is where the Studio can safe money, IMHO), but Studio would need to run the Primary database I fear ...?

- Kickstarter

Personally I would never want to pay something monthly. Rather make a game purchase and later some DLC stuff to keep flow coming in. Monthly costs are always a risk to people IMHO.

I'd like to see this game/mod as

- Game purchase only

- Studio developed

- Community AND studio servers

- Kickstarter (why the hell not?)

Game purchase only(like guild wars)

community/studio developed without compromising the original idea

kickstarter would be cool i would drop money down on this game to get it made

Well' date=' here's my two cents. :P

[b']Purchase Method: DLC for ARMA3

Reason: The ARMA3 Engine will not only bring the realism everyone is looking for, it will help maintain the current feel the mod has. If it's DLC you still have an oppurtunity to make it into a product as you hope, while still keeping the same type of player base. Any other setup I fear would result in drastic changes to gameplay in hopes of selling more copies, as many others have talked about.

Developmental Style: Studio, with slight community input.

Reason: Probably the best way of describing the current setup. I think if the mod is continued to be developed and improved on ARMA2:CO, porting all of the finished features to ARMA3 would create the best result. The fact that a thread such as this was made is a step in the right direction I think. As long as rocket remains in charge, I have no doubt the end result will be everything we hoped for. A team will just allow him to get some rest every now and then.. :P

Server Design: Community and Studio Servers, or just community.

Reason: As long as community servers are regulated and held to a certain standard (just like they are now) then there might as well be both.

Kickstarter: Yes.

Agreed.

Edit: But no PvE, please? The very idea is ridiculous, and counter to what makes the game engaging.

I think it would be impossible for tihs mod to be turned into a game simply because the makers of this mod know what they're doing. They don't cave in to people's complaining and whining. Any game dev would ruin the game by trying to please the people that bitch and moan. They would remove the releastic 24h cycle, losing everything when you die, etc. (everything that makes this game realistic and yes sometimes frustrating). The MMO genre has become ruined due to Blizzard making an MMO so easy to play a 10 year old can figure it out and when you sneeze you are at the endgame content.

My response...

- Game purchase only (Guild Wars stylez)

- Studio developed

- Both community and studio servers

- Not familiar with Kickstarter.

Would still be good if it was made for ArmA 3.

Don't make this a traditional MMO.

- Game purchase only (no micro transactions or monthly fee)

- Studio developed (with some community interaction)

- Kickstarter (with enough info on planned features & stuff like that!)

- Both studio and community servers (I think). Unless you really want to have the bandits aspect as core gameplay which probably means only official servers instead of possible community/clan servers with friends only.

Game purchase, standalone. I see no point in making it ArmA3 DLC since it would force people who are only interested in DayZ buy ArmA3 and that is going to drive away some customers.

Studio development with community input.

Kickstarter is neat idea but people outside US without credit card can't use it. I'd prefer Minecraft style payment model, so if you get the game when it's Alpha it's cheaper than Beta and buying when Beta is cheaper than the final version.

I'd prefer Minecraft style payment model' date=' so if you get the game when it's Alpha it's cheaper than Beta and buying when Beta is cheaper than the final version.

[/quote']

Agreed. There's plenty of indie games that use this model nowdays, Project Zomboid comes to mind first.

Game purchase only!

Community and studio servers both!

Buy a game one time, expansions could be paid or free depending.

Development wise it could exist as a mod, yes. But if you want to go big, you'd need to start from the ground up.

I would pay:

A) Game purchase only

B)Free to play, no buying stuff with real money.

I would like the game to be

A)Studio Developed.

B)Studio developed until a alpha comes, users are able to pre-pay to use alpha versions, they are able to give opinions on this saying what need to be included or changed to the final game, new alpha versions are released, after the game is released, gamers that didnt paid for the alpha, buy the game.

C)A mix of studio and community developed stuff. If someone has a item, idea,.... that he think that should be in the game, that he can create, and that the developer think that fits in the game, he can develop it and send to developer.

D)Full comunity wiki style mod creation.

One time purchase of the game it's based on. If it moves to a new engine down the road, I have the choice to stick with what I've got, or move onto the new one.

Community developed.

Community hosted servers with stable, developer run back-end server(s) funded by donations.

Allow people to donate via whatever means possible. Incentivise donations from those who would normally not bother via 'prestige' rewards.

All in all, look to Valves mod-to-standalone game track record. Think Counterstrike or Team Fortress. Start as mod, and IF it blows up, and now is not the time despite what the little voices may or may not be whispering, then it's time to go studio (still in the Valve vein i.e. I'm sure Bohemia would green-light a fully fledged version of a mod of it's previous games if it was shown to generate sales).

The big mods only got as big as they did because they were left in the hands of the community before becoming entangled in the shitfest of business. You should probably wait until a few people have died IRL of game-caused dehydration/starvation/lack of sleep/revenge killings to gauge when to make the move. This seems to be the industry standard. ;)

Well for starters a one time fee is the only reasonable answer and reading the comments in this thread from certain moderators is making me cringe, I don't think I could support an indie dev team with a brony horse fucking pedo as moderator but that's just me.

How about making your own map for Arma 2 instead of the oversized map that is 80 percent empty wasted space?

Don't think of being serious when the mod is barely out of alpha and is incredibly unbalanced and boring due being a walking simulator.

Shit is gettin serious.

If this was made as a stand alone game' date=' or as part of some particular existing game, what kind of consumer model would you want to play it on?

How would you rather pay for it?

- Game purchase with Monthly fee? (WoW stylez)

- Game purchase only? (Guild Wars stylez)

- Free to play, buy your shit?

- Something else?

Also:

- Community developed or studio developed?

- Community or studio servers? or both?

- Kickstarter? or not?

Please try and stick to short sentences, its much easier for me to get broad feedback.

[/quote']

First off good job rocket you guys on the dev team are awesome, second please make it game purchase only, all the other payment models are franky bad ideas. if possible piracy is a concern you can even do something like batman arkham asylum where they made it so pirates could not glide, to help prevent piracy, it may or maynot be an issue to you if not, i salute you. development should be focused with your development team, take suggestions from the community but mostly keep at what your doing, more times than not the masses just want another cod/bf3 knockoff with zombies in it.

I could see this mod being a pretty successful DLC for Arma 2.

Personally, I know of 4 people in my little circle (hehe) that bought Arma 2 : CO solely to play Day Z with us.

Arma 2 has always been somewhat popular, but this mod is giving it a needed shot in the arm and boosting sales of CO.

If it's Bohemia that is interested in helping you develop Day Z into something more than a mod, then DLC is going to be a win-win for all involved.

Honestly, I would never pay a cent for this mod. Too much random killing, not polished enough. You should be thinking about this when it's at least in beta.

- Game purchase only

- Studio developed ' date=' with some help from the community.

Make it a ARMA3 DLC!

[/quote']

This I like :).

I would say a DLC one time mandatory payment model alla guild wars. I would also say an "item shop" of sorts also to help fund the increasing need of this games mmo like popularity. Before people harp on me on "NO MICRO TRANSACTIONS," take a look at this video how they can be done RIGHT: http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/microtransactions.

Basically, don't sell power. Sell convenience.

Ex. Bandit skin back to survivor for a cost (or vice-versa. Also a once a week limit would be a good idea). Custom outfits. Accessories such as custom sunglasses, pins to wear on your clothing, model textures for your character. You get the idea. No buying of weapons or ammo or anything like that which could harm the survival aspect.

-Game purchase only, prefered.

-Monthly fee, acceptable.

-Free to play(pay to win), close to unacceptable.

-Studio developed - you already have a firm vision.

-Kickstarter, I'd kickstart.