slartibartfast (DayZ)

why are so many children playing this game?

Are parents completely oblivious to the ratings and classification of games?

I wonder if they would allow their children to watch a movie that depicts graphic horror, murder and war?

Never mind participate in a game that encourages these actions.

Must just be me being an old foddy doddy.

And why are the people responsible for a forum, that is obviously filled with extremely adult themes and language, letting children participate?

I have the BBQ set for my flaming. :)

• Like 17

I completely agree with you in terms of how children are playing the game, but it just shows how much their parents really don't care (either that or they are completely oblivious to the fact). Look at all the kids playing on games like CoD, BF3, etc....

And why are the people responsible for a forum, that is obviously filled with extremely adult themes and language, letting children participate?

I guess it's because it is fairly hard to verify how old people are before they join.

I enjoy children that play these games (that sounded creepy) simply because they are easier to kill and funny as hell when they die! They ALWAYS carry so much good stuff because they don't know what they have, and all it takes is one bullet and its ALL mine. As long as they don't become good, or DayZ becomes too easy I don't really care about them. They annoy me or speak near me I spray them with a clip or put a slug between their shoulder blades.

Remind them how's boss, assert your seniority and KILL THEM!

• Like 4

Its a game. Ratings are just some arbitrary piece of crap to prevent developers from being sued. I get what you are saying, but no kid is going to play real life DayZ...at least I hope not because they are going to artifact like a motherfucker.

• Like 5

30 Year old men don't usually play video games. Do they?

Are you for real?

Edited by supanaut
  • Like 2

When I was a kid that was mostly true. Now, I'm over thirty and I still play games, so do a lot of other people from my generation.

• Like 9

Yeah, 40 here :)

The way kids talk these days... you would think they invented the internet!

• Like 3

Thirty's the new twenty!

dkrq.jpg

Edited by Deetwo
  • Like 4

I guess it's because it is fairly hard to verify how old people are before they join.

But not that difficult when they actually post 'fed up with 16/18+ age limits in clans'.

The very reason I asked this question is because there are several on the forum today actively looking for 11-14 year old players.

• Like 1

I enjoy children that play these games (that sounded creepy) simply because they are easier to kill and funny as hell when they die! They ALWAYS carry so much good stuff because they don't know what they have, and all it takes is one bullet and its ALL mine. As long as they don't become good, or DayZ becomes too easy I don't really care about them. They annoy me or speak near me I spray them with a clip or put a slug between their shoulder blades.

Remind them how's boss, assert your seniority and KILL THEM!

Rofl on this.

Have some beans. :D

I was kidding... Many kids play today because their parents think they are going to see it sometime in their life...

Zombies? Really? Some kids are not very mature, but some are...

I'm 44 and have been playing since my Texas ti99-4a in 1981.

I think that you'll find the average age for gamers is creeping up into the mid 30s.

My missus calls me her loch ness geek.

Edited by slartibartfast
  • Like 2

I can understand you have a problem with childish trash talk, im 18 and I would never of been speaking the utter filth that comes out their mouths. Either way its a thing you have to accept, after years of xbox life gaming its just one of those things.

My two cents; Use the mute function, this thread is one of many on dozens of gaming forums. Just because we have one ADHD child doesnt mean they all are.

• Like 1

My dad is 60 and loves playing video games >.<

Rofl on this.

Have some beans. :D

You are willing to hand over beans to a psychopathic murderer who enjoys killing children?

• Like 3

Babysitters cost what now? Buy your kid a game system and keep food in the fridge and you pretty much never have to speak to them again. Sad but true.

Babysitters cost what now? Buy your kid a game system and keep food in the fridge and you pretty much never have to speak to them again. Sad but true.

What you would rather do though, sit down with your son/daughter and play an exciting game with them where the two of you are immersed into a alternate environment where you work together to survive a zombie Apocalypse OR would you rather play Yahtzee as your child powers through yet another "family game night".... (A chill ran up my spin after saying that, so many bad memories)

I know what you are saying in regards to letting a child play by him/herself, which is something I do not agree with. If they are going to play a game like this, a parent or someone else who watches over them should be present so the little shit head doesn't start cursing me out when I turn him into Swiss cheese. The only reason why no one likes playing with kids is that they are loud and obnoxious, if people watched their kids or played with them then they wouldn't be as bad.

Either way I'm still shooting at them...

Are parents completely oblivious to the ratings and classification of games?

I wonder if they would allow their children to watch a movie that depicts graphic horror, murder and war?

Never mind participate in a game that encourages these actions.

Must just be me being an old foddy doddy.

I have the BBQ set for my flaming. :)

The fact is that it is mostly a matter of opinion, and that opinion changes from person to person, not only because they are different people with unique thought processes, but also they all have different children.

When it comes down to it, the sooner you can expose your children to themes, ideas, and experiences (for lack of better wording) like these, the better. It is nothing special, by learning it, they become not only smarter, but also more aware of the world around them (which I shouldn't have to explain the importance of). However, there are certainly drawbacks. Children exposed to these "concepts" must be mature enough to handle them properly and almost fully understand them. A simple example to express this would be if you taught a 5-year-old the word "nigger". Even if you tried to explain that he shouldn't use it, the fact is that he will likely end up saying it in the wrong place at the wrong time because he does not fully understand the meaning or significance of it.

Now with that said, there are so many approaches to how children are confronted by these concepts and aspects that affect how they learn it. Many parents all have different feelings because of their own life experiences and their observations of their child. Some are extremely religious and feel their kid should be "kept pure" for as long as 21 years after birth. Some just feel loosely about the topics and think their kids won't be affected by things like these. Many families in places around Europe are rather careless about exposing their children to sex themes, but very strict on themes surrounding violence. It is often the opposite in the U.S. Many parents (and children alike) also don't exactly want to sit down and have "the talk". Nowadays it is usually considered kind of awkward and unnecessary. Most parents have realized (and are justly to do so) that their kids won't learn or be influenced solely by them. Another (and possibly largest) influence would be that of their school environment and friends. The fact is that the children, regardless of parental word, will likely learn many of these concepts such as sex and violence and whatnot from friends.

That got a little bit off topic, but to sum up in short, why parents let kids play these games, I would say the following. Parents simply don't care, and they are fairly justified to do so. They cannot control every aspect of their child's life and the sooner you realize that, the better, more understanding of a parent you will be. They see nothing really wrong with it with the view of "it's just a game". However, to a degree, they are probably right. Although it may have a effect on someone's life, unless they become one of those WoW addicts, video games really don't have a large affect on children. If you want to throw the bullshit argument of "oh well someone killed someone else and then said they did it because of a game!", then go ahead. If you can't realize that the reason that person did that crime was because he had some kind of mental stability issue, rather than because of a video game, then you, too, probably have a mental issue.

tl;dr-Games don't "encourage" violent behavior.

Edited by Spart248
  • Like 1

You are willing to hand over beans to a psychopathic murderer who enjoys killing children?

I did as well.....hrm what does that say about me?

Oh well, the post was entertaining....yeah that's a valid excuse.....

I was kidding... Many kids play today because their parents think they are going to see it sometime in their life...

Zombies? Really? Some kids are not very mature, but some are...

Zombies - horror - given.

Shooting mate in the head, point blank. Being depicted in near photographic, blood spurting, bone crunching detail. Maybe isn't appropriate for an 11 year old.

But I am not the parent and there fore unable to comment or judge on specifics.

I just know that my 11 wouldn't be playing this, or any other like game.