Lynx (DayZ)

What is "Binocular_Vector"?

I was just looking through the 1.6.0.1 loot sheet and in the military barracks section, I saw an item called "binocular_vector". It has the same spawn probability as GPS and night vision goggles, so it must be pretty rare.

Can someone tell me what this is and how it differs from regular binoculars?

Thanks in advance.

They're as rare as rocking horse shit. Wish they would tone down the weapons and food and give me better odds on stuff like this.

They're as rare as rocking horse shit. Wish they would tone down the weapons and food and give me better odds on stuff like this.

So that everyone would have better chance of getting them, and thus everyone would have them and they wouldnt be that rare anymore?

Think a little

So that everyone would have better chance of getting them' date=' and thus everyone would have them and they wouldnt be that rare anymore?

Think a little

[/quote']

What?

Yeah, its the Laser Rangefinder from Arma 2.

You can check it out in the armory or regular game.

PS... its the tits and no ive never seen one in game. Id bet one or two have seen me though.

;)

I've found a pair of rangefinders once before in the barracks at the NW Airfield, didn't ever check to see if they had NV capabilities though as someone else has mentioned.

Got killed by a bandit and lost them after a couple days. :(

Rangefinder doesn't give much help.. the binocular can be used with the nightvisor, plus you can have any distance using the scrollwheel. It is a nice device but redundant.. if you own already a NVG and binoculars.

Rangefinder doesn't give much help.. the binocular can be used with the nightvisor' date=' plus you can have any distance using the scrollwheel. It is a nice device but redundant.. if you own already a NVG and binoculars.

[/quote']

But standard binocs don't actually give you a range do they?

Rangefinders are only useful for sniping and other long range shooting, as it allows you to correctly zero in your gun, or figure out how many dots you need to lift the scope, without needing to fire a test shot..

Sounds nice. When you come across one of those, would you be able to distinguish them from regular binocs? Or do they look just the same?

How does one go about using one of these rangefinders? I know someone that has one, but cannot figure out how to actually use it. From what I understand, there aren't any commands for it listed under the keybindings. It won't come up with the context menu through the mouse-wheel (whether he has a weapon, or his binoculars equipped). He says that it takes the same slot on the gear/character sheet as the NVG's, but the "N" button doesn't bring them up. Several others have thrown ideas at him as well, but none of them seem to work.

He has had them for quite a while, so perhaps it was something that was removed in one of the subsequent patches. If this is true, at least he can ditch it the next time we run across another set of NVG's.

Rangefinder doesn't give much help.. the binocular can be used with the nightvisor' date=' plus you can have any distance using the scrollwheel. It is a nice device but redundant.. if you own already a NVG and binoculars.

[/quote']

But standard binocs don't actually give you a range do they?

Rangefinders are only useful for sniping and other long range shooting, as it allows you to correctly zero in your gun, or figure out how many dots you need to lift the scope, without needing to fire a test shot..

Theorically.. but "unfortunately" you can use the mousewheel to find the range of any game content (objects a/o players/NPC), so the rangefinder (as i said) is nice, but redundant.. or at least not that useful as you may think if you have already a NVG.

Sounds nice. When you come across one of those' date=' would you be able to distinguish them from regular binocs? Or do they look just the same?

[/quote']

They are pretty different and light brown.

How does one go about using one of these rangefinders? I know someone that has one' date=' but cannot figure out how to actually use it. From what I understand, there aren't any commands for it listed under the keybindings. It won't come up with the context menu through the mouse-wheel (whether he has a weapon, or his binoculars equipped). He says that it takes the same slot on the gear/character sheet as the NVG's, but the "N" button doesn't bring them up. Several others have thrown ideas at him as well, but none of them seem to work.

He has had them for quite a while, so perhaps it was something that was removed in one of the subsequent patches. If this is true, at least he can ditch it the next time we run across another set of NVG's.

[/quote']

They occupies the same slot at the binocular, so you have to remove the binocular eventually or it will not works (the binocular have the precedence), so it uses the same key of the binoculars, *plus* the key to turn on/off the night vision (after equipped).

Theorically.. but "unfortunately" you can use the mousewheel to find the range of any game content (objects a/o players/NPC)' date=' so the rangefinder (as i said) is nice, but redundant.. or at least not that useful as you may think if you have already a NVG.[/quote']

Try playing on different servers. There are many, many servers with that disabled.

The rangefinder is fine with nightvision, you just have to turn it on once and then the game remembers that you have it.

Theorically.. but "unfortunately" you can use the mousewheel to find the range of any game content (objects a/o players/NPC)' date=' so the rangefinder (as i said) is nice, but redundant.. or at least not that useful as you may think if you have already a NVG.[/quote']

Try playing on different servers. There are many, many servers with that disabled.

It wouldn't matter if it's disabled or not, the binoculars give you the range of anything you point them at. I've had them before.

It wouldn't matter if it's disabled or not, the binoculars give you the range of anything you point them at. I've had them before.

-facepalm- He's replying to the guy who said range finders were useless because you can just use the mousewheel menu to see the range.

I know, just saying anyway, seemed like some people still didn't understand what they do.

For me it took up the spot of NVG's and I can't seem to use them. Kinda annoying, any ideas?

Tried N, B, Scrolling

None of them works.

For me it took up the spot of NVG's and I can't seem to use them. Kinda annoying' date=' any ideas?

Tried N, B, Scrolling

None of them works.

[/quote']

You don't need binoculars if you have rangefinder, throw binocs away.

I know' date=' just saying anyway, seemed like some people still didn't understand what they do.

[/quote']

You have not tried using binoculars on servers with that disabled. It does not work if it is disabled.

Right, i may have not tried it with binoculars on "disabled" servers.. i'm not really a sniper, so i don't think much about the range most of the time.

Didn't know a server can run without binoculars enabled. I run on a server that has no name tags (which means it won't show distance to whatever you're looking at without the Vector Binocs), no waypoints, no crosshairs, and no third person. The Vector Binoculars will always give you range to target.