rocket

Pending Update 1.7.1 Details

We got an ETA on this update then? The recent lag has rendered the mod unplayable for me.

What no game (that I have played~) has done is find a better solution to a d/c exploit that is common to many online games. Because this kinda sucks... In a perma-death environment I would rather have 500 guys exploit on me as I'm about to kill them than die even once due to an unlucky disconnect.

I'm confident that - as frustrating it has been to miss out on a kill because of a "cheater" - the game is better as is. That being said' date=' I don't have a better idea, so I'll go ahead and shut up.

[/quote']

I like the way some MMOs work by having a logout timer. 10 seconds where you can't press anything (except cancel) for your disconnect, or you can go ahead and quit straight away but risk your body staying there for however long it is. Something like this would prevent players from disconnecting in a firefight (10 seconds of inactivity nope.jpg) and would encourage them to find a safe area to log out and wait out the little timer.

Performance and Optimization

- Reduction/elimination of the new server lag.

I don't know when this update can be expected but I was wondering if you realized how bad the server lag is. For something that makes the game completely unplayable, is there no hope for a hotfix?

If the choice was between waiting for the other (admittedly nice) additions or get just a lag fix, it would be a no-brainer... You could offer me fully implemented persistent player made fortifications, town captures and a snickers bar right now, I would still go for the lag hotfix. It's bad. Really really bad.

Just thought I'd stress that out a little.

It's funny when people say this.

Not everyone has your room ambient lighting' date=' your monitor, your desktop settings or your graphics card.

There are a huge number of variables. That's why game companies started putting in adjustments like gamma in the first place.

I agree that once they are adjusted, people are ripping themselves off by making night time brighter... But face it, most people also fiddle with their settings to cut down shadows and terrain and whatever else for sniping, &c.

[/quote']

I like you more and more every day Disgraced...

My monitor is WICKED dark with night scenes. When I used to play Silent Hunter 3 with Grew Wolves mod people used to tell me night wasnt that dark. I on the other hand couldnt see the bow of my sub at night! So I went to a buddies house and found out how dark my monitor truly is. Same settings and I could see about 100m or so in front of his bow.

Night time for me in Dayz on MY monitor is unplayable. I cant even see my arms! I dare you to go out in the darkest of nights and see if it is that dark outside at night.

And dont give me the use flares or chemlights crap.... people that say that are snipers that just love to wait for newbs with the "shoot me" sign on them.

Bottom line is .... I agree with realism...love it! But if it makes something unplayable and has 90% of the players avoiding servers that are in "nighttime" mode, then what good have you done? And I will say again...go out side (I know its hard for some of us gaming nerds) in the middle of the night, pick a cloudy, moonless night... how much can you see? I live in the country and I can make out outlines, trees, and definately see 20 feet or so in front of me.... its not like going out at night is like living in a fucking cave.

Now with that said....

What is MOCAP???? and LOS???

MOCAP = Motion Capture. Basically, a guy gets into a rubber suit covered with cotton balls and pretends to be running. They (who's they?) film it, and transfer it into the game, so now the guy in game looks like he's running.

LOS = Line Of Sight.

Performance and Optimization

- Reduction/elimination of the new server lag.

I don't know when this update can be expected but I was wondering if you realized how bad the server lag is. For something that makes the game completely unplayable' date=' is there no hope for a hotfix?

If the choice was between waiting for the other (admittedly nice) additions or get just a lag fix, it would be a no-brainer...

[/quote']

He's talking about the desync problems and server-join lag.

- Reduction/elimination of the new server lag. This is caused by the ArmA2 server expecting immediate response from the central server. Vehicles are the main cause of this' date=' as whenever they are damaged everything stops while the server ensures this is recorded in the database.

[/quote']

A 'hotfix' could indeed fix the problem, but it isn't something you'd download and install. As far as your computer is concerned, the connection to the ArmA server (eg. UK3) is fine. The ArmA server to Central Server is where the problem is happening, so this is where the patch is to be applied. Sure it could probably be fixed with some kind of fast little patch, but it would require the server owner (not the player) to download and install that as well as the new major patch coming in a couple of days. Remember the patch is still in development and it is MUCH easier to fix/add a lot in one go than to ask the server owner to run a bunch of small annoying updates - no one wants to do that.

Can someone help me or send me links to get the Beta Patch for 1.7.1. I feel completely lost.

Read through the entire thread, upcoming patch sounds awesome.

Spawning without a weapon would do wonders for this game, assuming the hiding mechanism works. Amnesia: The Dark Descent illustrates why this would contribute to the suspense. It will also get rid of the silly makarov wars on the coast. It will make respawning much more exciting, and the moment when you find your first weapon will be that much better. It will encourage cooperation. There may be some people who will camp the coast, but I imagine it would be fewer than you'd think. Besides, there are many spawn points, and hiding works on players too you know.

--------------------

The five second disconnection delay is a step in the right direction, as a temporary measure. Myself and a few friends were discussing what the best solution would be, and we came up with this:

1. If you lose connection to the server in any way, your character remains in the game world, unable to agro NEW zombies and able to be hurt by already agro zombies, bleeding, and other players.

2. If you disconnect while in safety, your character remains ingame for 20 seconds.

3. If you disconnect while you're in shock, your character remains ingame until shock disappears (5mins max).

4. Temporary ban from all servers after each disconnection, lasting the length of time your character remains in that server.

MOCAP = Motion Capture. Basically' date=' a guy gets into a rubber suit covered with cotton balls and pretends to be running. They (who's they?) film it, and transfer it into the game, so now the guy in game looks like he's running.

LOS = Line Of Sight.

[/quote']

LOL... sorry Killing... that was meant as a inside joke with Disgraced... you wont count in my "troll line" biting count :)

(Today 06:48 AM)WalkerDown Wrote: Rember this is 5 seconds *without* the user control.. no game does this

Umm, ever played Eve online? This mod is ALOT like that in many ways - except the DC to avoid death was handled by having your character stick around for TWO MINUTES without user control. How's that for harsh? And that game is still kicking strong.

LOL... sorry Killing... that was meant as a inside joke with Disgraced... you wont count in my "troll line" biting count :)

No worries. Gave me the opportunity to post this again.

P2108135.jpg

Yes' date=' that's Rocket. Covered in cotton balls. (Have your Kleenex ready.)

Umm, ever played Eve online? This mod is ALOT like that in many ways - except the DC to avoid death was handled by having your character stick around for TWO MINUTES without user control. How's that for harsh? And that game is still kicking strong.

Exactly. As creator of Suddenly Ninjas, I concur. /ShamelessPlug

:D

The five second disconnection delay is a step in the right direction, as a temporary measure. Myself and a few friends were discussing what the best solution would be, and we came up with this:

1. If you lose connection to the server in any way, your character remains in the game world, unable to agro NEW zombies and able to be hurt by already agro zombies, bleeding, and other players.

2. If you disconnect while in safety, your character remains ingame for 20 seconds.

3. If you disconnect while you're in shock, your character remains ingame until shock disappears (5mins max).

4. Temporary ban from all servers after each disconnection, lasting the length of time your character remains in that server.

I really like all of these ideas...I was about to dispute the temporary ban, but it actually makes sense; since your character is already on one server, can't join another. Though I think the "shock" issue would be a bit much, I'd say let the character log out in shock after a DC (honestly I think 30 seconds flat is plenty for a DC under any circumstance, with DC characters being unable to aggro new zombies, but under effects of everything else) If a character logged out during shock, then they log back in with shock remaining, much like it already is.

1. If you lose connection to the server in any way' date=' your character remains in the game world, unable to agro NEW zombies and able to be hurt by already agro zombies, bleeding, and other players.

[/quote']

How would the server know if you choose to disconnect or just did it by accident?

5 sec is perfect, long enough to die by another player who is shooting at you and short enough to have a good chance surviving a disconnect while fighting a zombie.

I'm pretty sure disconnecting from zombies is considered an exploit by Rocket as well.

1. If you lose connection to the server in any way' date=' your character remains in the game world, unable to agro NEW zombies and able to be hurt by already agro zombies, bleeding, and other players.

[/quote']

How would the server know if you choose to disconnect or just did it by accident?

5 sec is perfect, long enough to die by another player who is shooting at you and short enough to have a good chance surviving a disconnect while fighting a zombie.

A disconnection in any way, be it internet timeout, quitting the game, alt-f4 etc. And disconnecting to avoid zombies is as much an exploit as disconnecting to avoid players.

5 seconds isn't long enough if a player is shot by another, then dives into a building or behind solid cover and then disconnects. Twenty seconds is not long enough either, because it would become a viable tactic to bait enemy players into thinking you disconnected and lie in wait for them. A disconnection lasting as long as shock would make it a far riskier decision to disconnect behind cover, and so would deter players from doing so.

[/quote']

What about making it so that you can't log out for 10 seconds after being shot/bitten/having fired a weapon/any other combat interaction, then a separate logout timer like I suggested in my earlier post? I just see the current popular idea as "run away, hide behind a hill/tree and disconnect", and the flaws I imagine are things like Player X shoots at Player Y, player Y shoots back enough to make Player X take cover, and Player Y immediately starts the 5 second disconnect. It doesn't seem THAT different to our current system - 5 seconds isn't a lot, and if its a server which doesn't print user connects/disconnects, how will Player X know that Player Y isn't still on the server? For all he knows, Player Y is either still hiding, or has moved positions, or evaporated. With my idea, Player Y won't be able to start disconnecting until 10 seconds after the combat timer runs out, and THEN will have 10 seconds of inability to act while the disconnection happens. People will be a lot less willing to sacrifice a 20 second time period over a 5 second one.

And if you think about it more, it takes about 5 seconds to hit Z if you want cover from gunfire, hit Esc, hit Abort, hit Disconnect, then Disconnect again. Maybe a bit less but you see the point.

EDIT: @zxc, I think 20 seconds with a period if inactivity at the end is good. It prevents the possibility of an ambush as the person can't shoot (or react quickly) if he is unable to act.

It's not so much "cheating" or what have you to adjust the gamma settings when it's a fact that night–no matter where you are on Earth as long as you're outside–will never be pitch black. This has obviously been discussed at lengths before and while I do agree that there are great tools for lighting up the night and people just have to use them' date=' it's pretty ridiculous that nights are so dark it's impossible even to see what's in right in front of you.

You say you adjust your settings only to get the most realistically looking experience, and that's exactly what I think I'm doing when I yank up the gamma too. The pitch black hours of ArmA 2 just aren't realistic, so in order for me to have a realistic experience (which is being able to at least make out [b']something in the dark) I need to increase brightness and gamma.

We got an ETA on this update then? The recent lag has rendered the mod unplayable for me.

Yes, an ETA would be awesome. Getting tired of sitting and refreshing the announcements forum all evening since the last couple of days! :rolleyes: But let's hope rocket and the team are just too busy testing and preparing for releasing it today to have time to post about ETA's and stuff. :)

Yes' date=' an ETA would be awesome. Getting tired of sitting and refreshing the announcements forum all evening since the last couple of days! :rolleyes: But let's hope rocket and the team are just too busy testing and preparing for releasing it today to have time to post about ETA's and stuff. :)[/quote']

I believe Rocket is in/from New Zealand, is he not? That would mean it's ~4:55 a.m., right now.

[/quote']

A disconnection in any way, be it internet timeout, quitting the game, alt-f4 etc. And disconnecting to avoid zombies is as much an exploit as disconnecting to avoid players.

5 seconds isn't long enough if a player is shot by another, then dives into a building or behind solid cover and then disconnects. Twenty seconds is not long enough either, because it would become a viable tactic to bait enemy players into thinking you disconnected and lie in wait for them. A disconnection lasting as long as shock would make it a far riskier decision to disconnect behind cover, and so would deter players from doing so.

Head near exploding.

Guys. The point has been made over and over that some people want a longer log out timer.

Rocket has said that for now, he can't go over 5 seconds without a significant effort. Now what? Keep making the same point over and over until.... What happens?

It's not going to change from 5 right now. Let it alone.

Yes' date=' an ETA would be awesome. Getting tired of sitting and refreshing the announcements forum all evening since the last couple of days! :rolleyes: But let's hope rocket and the team are just too busy testing and preparing for releasing it today to have time to post about ETA's and stuff. :)[/quote']

I believe Rocket is in/from New Zealand, is he not? That would mean it's ~4:55 a.m., right now.

He's from there, but relocated to the Czech Republic if I'm not mistaken.

Rocket lives in the Czech Republic, so just take a chill pill if he hasn't responded in a while.