Sign in to follow this  
-Atlas-

Rewards for survival (Open for suggestions!)

Hey DayZ crowd,

A thing that has been on my mind for a while now is a system that rewards people for staying alive for a certain amount of time.

The way I see it, this would not only add a new dimension to the game, in which it will pay off to survive for long periods of time, but it could also give people a reason to shy away from deathmatching and avoid situations in which they have a high risk of getting killed.

The rewards could be spread out over the amount of days you survive. You could get a small reward at around 10 days, a slightly bigger one at 30, etc.

The bottomline is; People will be more careful and less likely to go to big cities with the goal of deathmatching, because of the risk of dying.

The big question ofcourse would be: What are the rewards?

In my opinion the rewards can't be too powerful, but they should be worth the effort. Please do not think in terms of guns.

The rewards you would gain should be in line with the general idea of DayZ.

I've done a bit of thinking, but I found it isn't easy to come up with something that I have just described, apart from something obvious like a new skin.

This is where you come in.

I would like to hear from you guys what you think the rewards for survival should be.

Please post your suggestions below!

After 10 days: The ability to accurately aim your sniper rifle -- without it your accuracy is always bad and your character misses most scoped shots.

Flame away, snipers B)

IF U SURVIVED 30 DAYz U SHUD GET A SPARTUN LAZ3R!!!!11!!1

Seriously maybe you could see a little better at night. I cant think of anything good.

maybe you could sprint a bit longer, or need to eat a bit less? also grass would start growing on your back?

I think the reward is survival itself. If you have enough supplies to live, you're doing exactly what is intended. I do think there should be harsher restrictions for running low on drink and food, like not being able to run as fast, aim properly, or blurred vision.

• Like 2

Survival is its own reward you fluffy carebear.

Edited by Quazil
  • Like 2

More advanced player skins would probably be the best reward.

It's cosmetic and telling of a player's worth at staying alive.

With a fixed humanity status, the game would give you better tiers of clothing for your type of survivor.

At day 2 (or total, in-game play time), you rank up.

Then, day 5.

Day 10.

So, when a player completes 48 hours alive as a survivor, he gets a new skin. And then at 120 hours, another tier of skin. 240 hours in he gets the best skin.

Same thing for "heroes", at 48 hours played being a "hero", he gets a better skin...

Again, same with bandits.

Accumulated time would not cross. For example, player A spent 24 hours as a survivor and then obtained the basic bandit skin.

Then at a total play time of 72 hours, he would switch to bandit skin tier 2.

As long as it's purely cosmetic, i'd be okay with this.

Since Rocket wants to implement facial hair surely the man with the biggest beard has survived the longest.

Dont know about the girls but who knows, bearded ladies could be a common sight in Chernarus.

Beards? Everybody has a hunting knife they can shave with. I don't want a face forest.

I don't really understand why there should be a reward. Surely the reward is the fact that I'm established and equipped with everything I need to survive. Life is the reward.

• Like 1

Yeah, not being dead is a pretty good reward in itself. xD

Beards would be cool, maybe with the option of shaving with the hunting knife, or they could even add razors. They'd be pretty common in residential areas in the real world.

I don't really understand why there should be a reward.
Did you bother reading the OP? They're brainstorming survival-time based rewards as a possibility for increasing people's instinct for survival over risk-taking, by creating an element that can't be quickly regained after re-spawning:
The way I see it, this would not only add a new dimension to the game, in which it will pay off to survive for long periods of time, but it could also give people a reason to shy away from deathmatching and avoid situations in which they have a high risk of getting killed.

The bottomline is; People will be more careful and less likely to go to big cities with the goal of deathmatching, because of the risk of dying.

• Like 1

Clearly the OP raised a crucial point here : DayZ becomes more and more COD these times ; and the WarZ (considering videos) will eventually become one COD at end game.

For the reward: why not giving 2x more loot chances to "Extreme Survivor". Example : the maximum time of survival bonus is 30 days -> make these players loot 4% ITEM X in comparison to 2% for "just spawned players".

That leads to "personal loot" chances in terms of development, dunno if it's possible.

To me, this system is pretty fair: the more you survive, the more you should have nice items. And every player can agree with that.

This is pretty much what I was thinking when I made my post.

Here is My suggestion:

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/86283-experienced-survivors/

It`s alot to read. But I also agree that at it`s current state with tent`s and everything it`s just not bad enough to die. People just don`t care.

Please read the whole post or it`s kinda pointless.

Best regards.

This is pretty much what I was thinking when I made my post.

Here is My suggestion:

http://dayzmod.com/f...nced-survivors/

It`s alot to read. But I also agree that at it`s current state with tent`s and everything it`s just not bad enough to die. People just don`t care.

Please read the whole post or it`s kinda pointless.

Best regards.

No.

I'll admit I didn't read the whole thing, but let me state that DayZ should not have a class/perk/skill system. DayZ is one of those rare games where the player's abilities are dependent on his/her own ability to think strategically and make wise decisions. When a perk/skill system is involved, the game becomes unbalanced because your character becomes stronger than the next only because you've played the longest or you've been able to exploit the game mechanics to perk-up or level-up the fastest. When everyone has the same liberties and restrictions, you have to learn how to become the strongest player and the only way to get around that is using your brain.

• Like 1

No.

I'll admit I didn't read the whole thing, but let me state that DayZ should not have a class/perk/skill system. DayZ is one of those rare games where the player's abilities are dependent on his/her own ability to think strategically and make wise decisions. When a perk/skill system is involved, the game becomes unbalanced because your character becomes stronger than the next only because you've played the longest or you've been able to exploit the game mechanics to perk-up or level-up the fastest. When everyone has the same liberties and restrictions, you have to learn how to become the strongest player and the only way to get around that is using your brain.

Or spawning in a AS50 TWS and sitting atop sniper hill...

No.

I agree, no one should have perks or skills that give them an advantage in combat vs other players. That`s why I spend that much time on my suggestion, but if you not going to read it it`s really no point in replying either. Don`t you agree? Kinda makes your entire post mute, so I can`t belive I actually spent the time to read it all when you admit to not reading my suggestion.

The point of my suggestion is not to give people an edge, but giving them something to loose when they die.

As I answered to someone in my topic. "Run for it, he can stack his beans" Or "jesus christ, these guys have 2 extra slot in their backpack, let`s get out of here". :)

Edited by Raventhorn

i dont think the reward should be something that messes with the game but instead a pdf certificate that congratulates you for staying alive for a week, a month, etc. It is rewarding enough to just survive anyway, but it will be more satisfying if we could show off our achievments or prowess with a certificate or stat of some kind. dunno im just speculating.If you want to reduce the amount of murdering in the game i think cb radios and walkie talkies will encourage a bit more team work amongst people. As far as i can see the murdering increased sharply when text chat was disabled. Like others have said something like the Acre mod would be perfect. Also the ability to voice chat to somebody close by, so your voice would be dynamic so depending on how loud you talk will effect how far you can be heard. Base building will also effect the balance of things also.

I don't understand how people view staying alive as enough reward in itself, is it fun to sit around in the woods watching your food/water go down before you crack into your massive supply of items?

People stock up, then simply go DM or loot farm more, if cars/camp get stolen they go get them back then go back to DMing. This is what our group does, there simply isn't enough content or play value because everything is infinite and you can build up your own private massive store.

IMO the answer is capping gear not giving rewards for staying alive, this adds in countless hours of play time because finding and defending supplies would be an active task at all times.

I also think skills/speacilizations that are taken away on death are the only way to give characters intrinsic value, the problem is to many people would be butt hurt over their character's death, and people don't want to put hours into something that can be taken away by the whim of another player.