Sign in to follow this  
carlonblackwell@yahoo.com

Full controller support for standalone Day Z (to Rocket)

As small as this group may be, I'm sure there are others out there like myself that play Day Z using a controller. I use a wireless windows Xbox controller. I'm 39 years old and have done my share of gaming (since PONG) and have gained dexterity over the years using a controller. I know have played Day Z more than any other game to date and consider myself a gamer. I believe I play Day Z quite well yet because the controller support is limited (just as it was in Arma 2) I find my self wanting more for the standalone/mod so I can be even more competitive. Rocket you have stated you want to one day see Day Z on consoles (I prefer to play games on PC) . Now is the time to include full controller support. I currently have to play with my wireless keyboard next to me to do simple inputs like: Going into gear, stepping over obstacles, rolling, turing on night vision, compass, and the awesome leans around corners. I am the senior pilot of my squad and fly the chopper easily and even drive vehicles better than most my squad (They all love hitting stuff and many have blown up some vehicles.) The problem now is there are buttons that are not able to be mapped on the controller which could help make it's use more efficient.

Functions I would like to see are:

1. A toggle button to drop down a list so I can scroll through choices with the D-pad and select things like, compass, night vision, GPS... ( the d pad maybe?)

2. A button to step over (A button?)

3. The ability to map to the left and right D pad buttons.

4. Perhaps the back/select button should be used to bring up the map and the shoulder buttons could be for leaning and rolling.

If you use a controller please chime in. If you use a keyboard and mouse, game on! Its options like these that fall within the theme of Day Z, freedom to play the game the way I choose, given the options supplied by the game.

Thoughts?

• Like 4

*vomits over the thread*

But if you really are into controllers. Then best of luck!

No hate towards you man.

Edited by Jtyler1995
  • Like 1

I think the use of a controller would be amazing, but many flaws would be presented in doing so. There are so many buttons on the keyboard that are currently used that i'm not sure if there would be a possible way to integrate all of them into controller use. Don't get me wrong, there are some ways around it but would end up being harder then the keyboard in some cases. If you combined using both, controller for basic shooting, movement, picking things up, opening inventory, etc... it would work great. For everything else though you'd probably end up using the keyboard (for emotes such as surrender, etc...). Otherwise, it would be great to have the game fully accept using a standard Microsoft controller.

As nice it would be to have a working, proper controller setting for the standalone as an option..

How many times do console ports to PC come with PROPER keyboard and mouse support?

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man
  • Like 1

real gamers just use mouse + keyboard

Seriously, isn't it much more pleasant to play with mouse/keyboard instead using a gamepad with just a few buttons and a terrible view with those analog sticks?

Edited by Johnny_Pfosten
  • Like 1

real gamers just use mouse + keyboard

This.
*vomits over the thread*
Also this.

I consider gaming mouses and gaming keyboards, with special keys allowing to bind whatever under your fingers, are by far THE BEST solution ever possible for an FPS.

Why would you use a controller instead? Hell... Do you drive your car with a Dance Dance Revolution pad? Do you play piano with boxing gloves?

• Like 2

This.

Also this.

I consider gaming mouses and gaming keyboards, with special keys allowing to bind whatever under your fingers, are by far THE BEST solution ever possible for an FPS.

Why would you use a controller instead? Hell... Do you drive your car with a Dance Dance Revolution pad? Do you play piano with boxing gloves?

It saddens me to see replies like these. Your post suggest that only good games come out on PC. That playing games across multiple platforms makes one inferior to one who games only on PC.

Keyboard and mouse is awesome, so are controllers. Its preference. Controllers have their place and you would be naive to suggest that games don't need or should never have a controller option. My suggestion is not to replace Keyboard and Mouse controls of Day Z, or to in any way effect the keyboard and Mouse experience. I would just enjoy having the option to use a controller and be able to use it effectively due to better configuration support.

I would not like to make this become a controller vs Keyboard and mouse war or console vs PC. Options only help games and allow gamers to tailor their experience. I don't understand your replies and how controller support effects you? Lack of said support well...

As nice it would be to have a working, proper controller setting for the standalone as an option..

How many times do console ports to PC come with PROPER keyboard and mouse support?

The cool thing is PROPER support has been done before on many games, which is why I am on this thread requesting it. I play Day Z because it's not those other games that limit you. The option, when done correct would be nice.

I play with a friend on two large 52" and 100" projection screens with surround sound and I do not enjoy using keyboard and mouse on the couch. It hurts my wrist over long periods of time and is just not practical without a desk. I have xpadder mapped to two wireless Xbox controllers and have been playing this way ever since I got DayZ.

There are many games that support game pads natively on pc. Using mouse functions in games is not hard either because you can map an analog stick to the mouse using xpadder. If anyone is interested I can share my xpadder profile for DayZ. Many people will argue that a controller is not worth exploring due to the so called "handicap" of aiming but if you practice that can be minimized.

IMHO I hope that dayz standalone has native controller support.

Edited by TarantulaFudge

It's upsetting to me to see such ignorance all over the internet. I am one of the people who wants controller support because I am disabled. I lack the ability to use my fingers individually on one hand. It seems whenever I see a thread requesting controller support, the person asking always gets beaten on. Just because you guys have full mobility, doesn't mean you're the only people who should be able to enjoy the game. I frequently wreck people on the controller. I play CS:GO, DC Universe Online, Call of Duty: BO, and many other games. I play on very difficult setting in all games, and I use the same tactics as mouse and keyboard players. So next time you feel like beating on someone for wanting an option which takes very little effort to implement, and could be the difference between many people playing and not playing, shut your mouth. You are just making yourself look ungrateful, selfish, and it seems you take your dexterity for granted.

Im sick to death of these narrow minded fucktards hating on a suggestion like this! He/she is asking for something to be added not taken away from dayz. If you choose to play with a mouse and keyboard then this post does not concern or effect you, jog on!. These self absorbed idiots need to get their heads around the fact that other people exist in this universe and these people have a different preference in controllers!. uh i give up with the fucktards on this forum who think they know best.

I mean honestly listen to this crap.... "Why would you use a controller instead? Hell... Do you drive your car with a Dance Dance Revolution pad? Do you play piano with boxing gloves?"

do you drive a car or play a piano with a fucking keyboard and mouse??

Edited by freeman83
  • Like 1

yes. not only add controller support, but make the aiming smooth so controller users dont have a huge accuracy deficiency against MOUSE NOOBS. ket/mouse sucks azz! this is why i dont play pc games. who the hell wants to sit at there lil puter on a stiff puter chair for four hours + getting a sore azz and an arm workout, staring at a lame 19 inch screen. i want to sit on my couch with my ps3 controller and own pc maggots in this game.

and to post more about playing with a mouse... the aim accuracy is totally unrealistic. as far as im concerned, the standalone should be CONTROLLER ONLY.

Edited by Dead-Perfect

I play better on Day Z with a Xbox360 Controller.. I'd love full PC Controller support.

• Like 1

Why DayZ on console? Silly.

Because Dean Hall isn't an idiot and he knows if it takes off on PC and then is put on console it'll sell 2:1 over the PC game. Like it or not, consoles are where the money is at these days.

Get Xpadder for £5. search online

I use keboard and mouse, Gammy leg uses a 360 pad.

Custom mapping, and you can still whip out the mouse if need be.

There are a LOT of options for those willing to look.

not hating, just saying. :P

EDIT:

Strategy games on PC no doubt, (I conider DayZ Survival Strategy)

but I play action/shooty games on xbox.

Over many MANY years, I've grown accustomed to a console controller for reflexes and muscle memory.

Edited by Chabowski

Typical Wannabe "PC Master Race" Bullshit always makes me laugh whenever you mention gamepads to PC Fanboys. Most people grewup on Nintendo or Sega. This thread makes me laugh a guy asks for a personal preference that has nothing to do with them and people cry a river LoL

Ahhh Internet you entertain me :)

Playing with a pad would be fairly easy I think with a few adjustments.

The game can move more items to the popup context menu. I am thinking of something similar to a PS2 controller layout with this, I havent used consoles in ages.

button to fire - same button held down to get scope/sights.

button to toggle stance - between standing, crouching and prone. hold it down to 'hit the dirt' and switch from stand stright to prone.

button to toggle jogging - hold down for full sprint

button for normal pop up menu, which will have anything else missing from it. Toggle flash light, sit down, salute and anything else you can bind to a key.

triggers/bumpers lean left and right

Oh yeah what's missing.. free look head movement. Can do that with a secondary d-pad (most come with 2 these days)

Job done.

Edited by disorder

With the launch of DayZ standalone I've been able to test out the 360 controller.

It is mapable, but not too well.

And the controller works great... except the most important button doesn't work; The attack button( R trigger?).

Please fix!

Like many said, why come here and are harassing people whith a POINT OF VIEW which is not the same for everyone ?

I played a lot on PC games with mouse + keyboard, but don't like it, and actually I'm pretty good with a controller. It's my personnal feel about the thing, that's why I would appreciate something more appropriate for people who prefer using a controller (even if I agree you need a keyboard too for a full experience whith all these controlls).

So that's why I was first really glad to see a thread about it, I through people would be open minded and helpful, suggesting ideas for this new game not fully developped that we all love. But apparently I was wrong, there is still kids thinking they can have an opinion.
This is how nazism was created, would you like to some kind of nazi ? =)

I got a pretty well mapped set up sorted i can attack use the gear menus effectively and complete near enough everything needed to play, works pretty well