Fraggle (DayZ)

Underrated Weapons

Oh, and the dinnerbell. I took out 2 incoming bandits, both of whom were carrying identical weapon loadouts (lol silly hackers):

Cause they totally didn't just dupe the items. Obviously, they decided to put their CD-Key at risk by scripting in two sets of gear, then figured that was far enough and managed to not esp you or have godmode on or.... Should I continue?

Since many tents you come across after server retart are bulging with top tier weapons, I've begun downgrading my gear. I really like anything with iron sights and can almost trick myself into believing, I'm recreating that awesome feeling you had, when DayZ was new and you were happy carrying whatever you found.

I do like the SAW though, it's nice and ugly looking at the same time.

Mk48 has the same ugly, noise, deadly feeling.

Edited by Dallas

Lately, since my clan is mostly gone from DayZ, I'm left with enough gear for about 20 people, so I got to toy with some of their stuff. I LOVE the SAW; it mows down zombies like, well, a chainsaw. My other friends hate it because you aggro all the zombies in town, but it doesn't matter since this is a 2-3 shot kill for zombies.

I've never used the Mk 48, but I do have access to one, so I might bring that with me on a few trips.

- Help clear out the zombies

me- I don't have a weapon

- Here take this mk48

30 seconds later we were running for the hills with ~50 zombies swarming us. That mk48 is too loud for my taste.

I'm starting to like the PDW, it takes so many different types of magazines and is pretty quiet even with regular rounds, silent (to zeds) with the SD ones. It can do full auto. For a secondary you can't beat it, get some mp5 30 round magazines and it's almost good for PVP. I just wish we could recombine multiple pistol mags into a 30rnd mag.

• Like 1

The MK is awesome, but i havent found too many.

For me i will always love the AKM and Kobra.

I'm starting to like the PDW, it takes so many different types of magazines and is pretty quiet even with regular rounds, silent (to zeds) with the SD ones. It can do full auto. For a secondary you can't beat it, get some mp5 30 round magazines and it's almost good for PVP. I just wish we could recombine multiple pistol mags into a 30rnd mag.

How do you find the iron sights? That's the biggest issue for me when using it. Also the G17 is slightly more accurate over range

M24 has infinite ammo. Nuff' said.

PDW is sidearm jesus.

Edited by Zakatak

Honestly, I think the Bizon is underrated. Sure it does really low damage, but it's got a high rate of fire and it's virtually silent. It's perfect when it comes to taking out zombies without making a noise, and it's still excellent when it comes to PVP in close-quarters. On top of that, while the ammo might be pretty rare, there's like 64 rounds in a mag, so unless you just spray gunfire innaccurately everywhere, each clip should last you a fair while.

The Winchester is very underrated, a good pvp weapon and destructive against zombies + ammo is easy to find.

• Like 1

I have a few mate. Not counting the uber weapons.

AKM - seriously powerful and can be zeroed to 800 meters (not that you can see that far while aiming lol)

Lee Enfield - One shot, one kill and can be found literally one minute after spawn.

M14 aim/ DMR - Both pack a serious punch and are very versatile

I really like the AKM, but I recently gave it up for the M4A3 CCO. I prefer the red dot for use with the NVG's which is how I've been playing lately. I only get to play at night and low-ping night servers are just easier to find when every minute counts. It doesn't hurt that I can share ammo with the L85 I just found, too.

I really liked the M14 AIM when I had it, but got killed pretty quickly after finding it and haven't seen another.

I regret not taking the MK48 when I found it, but I wasn't sure how much ammo I would find or need.

I need to give the Lee Enfield another try, though.

PS: Is there a thread for Most Overrated/Least Liked guns? I tried a search and didn't see one in the results. Might have overlooked it though.

How do you find the iron sights? That's the biggest issue for me when using it. Also the G17 is slightly more accurate over range

The iron sights are garbage on it. I just put the zombies head in the circle. I've only used it for personal defense, so I've never tried it over range. I would imagine it sucks, but I don't like any of the pistols for range.

M14 period :P . I thing it have a bug, serious. I can kill a pixel, if I can aiming, I kill it.

One time I saw a player in Devil's Castle, while using my binocular... he was on his feet. In M14 aim I even can see he. But I make my shoot and killed him. I killed a player that I can't see :P , he was a small object, smaller than red dot of the aim :}

Low noise, uber power, high accuracy. :}

M14 period :P

Low noise. :}

i love my M14, but that is definitely not one of its traits. it's just as loud as the enfield and that's part of the reason i like it. that sound. i find a lot of chopper crashes. i could be using a mk48, but the mix of old school styling and modern tech just makes the M14 too sexy not to use. plus my other gun is either an M24 or DMR and the ammo sharing is awesome.

Edited by Lag
  • Like 1

M16A4 ACOG can use it with NVG and its not as loud as DMR.

I love that gun. The only thing I'm not too keen on is that the ACOG sight is locked at x4 zoom which I found a tad restrictive with anything nearer than 300m (ish).

M104M and AKM are what I carry and what I shoot for.

I think all shotguns are generally underrated, especially that one.

Lately, since my clan is mostly gone from DayZ, I'm left with enough gear for about 20 people, so I got to toy with some of their stuff. I LOVE the SAW; it mows down zombies like, well, a chainsaw. My other friends hate it because you aggro all the zombies in town, but it doesn't matter since this is a 2-3 shot kill for zombies.

I've never used the Mk 48, but I do have access to one, so I might bring that with me on a few trips.

You'll love it. It's like the SAW on steroids but with much better accuracy and power. It also has twice the effective range.

FN FAL AN/PVS-4, easily.

Good call. At night, I think it's one of the best.

Honestly, I think the Bizon is underrated. Sure it does really low damage, but it's got a high rate of fire and it's virtually silent. It's perfect when it comes to taking out zombies without making a noise, and it's still excellent when it comes to PVP in close-quarters. On top of that, while the ammo might be pretty rare, there's like 64 rounds in a mag, so unless you just spray gunfire innaccurately everywhere, each clip should last you a fair while.

A guy I play with has used nothing else apart from the Bizon for the last 6 weeks. He swears by it.

It's nice to see the trusty AKM getting some deserved attention too. I might start a thread about overrated weapons, it's pretty interesting seeing what people think about them.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 1

For a long time I've thought that the Mk 48 Mod 0 is one of the best weapons to own in DayZ. It's accurate, great for suppression carries 100 rounds to a clip and is generally a beast of a gun. It's also pretty rare yet all I see on the forum is people wanting to trade for AS50's or or M4A1 SD's.

What's your favourite underrated weapon and what do you think about the Mk 48 Mod 0?

I thought the mk48 was the greatest gun in the game until I experienced the SAW. The mk48 does 8000dmg vs the SAW's 3555 sure... but the rate of fire means there isn't a huge practical difference. there IS a big practical difference in recoil though; SAW has much less so you can use it as an assault rifle and fire standing, as well as go rambo or just lay down suppressive fire

i got a 700m kill shot with the mk48 on a guy on top of one of the cherno buildings; had a friend spot for me and help me adjust with his binocs, haha.

I guess it's a choice between range and recoil. I just checked the wiki out of interest and noticed that the MK 48 is only listed as having an effective range of 400m. It used to say 600m which sounds more like my experience with the gun.