mattlightfoot

GDC Online Awards

It's actually an issue being caused from within the Arma engine. That's why it's been so hard for them to fix because they don't have access to it. If it was just a case of deleting some objects it would have been fixed on day one.

but you dont get it.. all they have to do is deleted the dead soldier bodies.. and then most of it is gone.. and yes i know some artifacting is from wire..

once again not trying to be an ass.. but its the truth and it needs to be said

Again, if it was that simple, it would already have been dealt with. They thought they had fixed it in the last patch, then they realised there's bigger issues concerning the Arma engine itself. Not just a few objects on the map. It's also why this patch has been delayed because it's become a massive issue for them. Because it's a mod they don't have access to the engine so it becomes a harder issue to fix.

The bug can only be fixed once and for all when BI release a patch for Arma 2.

Edited by Fraggle

Again, if it was that simple, it would already have been dealt with. They thought they had fixed it in the last patch, then they realised there's bigger issues concerning the Arma engine itself. Not just a few objects on the map. It's also why this patch has been delayed because it's become a massive issue for them. Because it's a mod they don't have access to the engine so it becomes a harder issue to fix.

The bug can only be fixed once and for all when BI release a patch for Arma 2.

You do realize that outside of DayZ this glitch never has occured?

Regardless of that, it still needs a patch from BI to resolve it completely.

How so if the only time it happens is when playing DayZ

If it only happens in DayZ then its a problem with the mod not the engine

Edited by BL1P

Not trying to stir the *poo* but I think all the frustration from the community stems from the err.... "fact" that we non-coders non-mod creators

are under the impression that the dead soldiers and barbed wire objects seem like THEY ARE what causes the artifacting and also being discreet parts of the game, could simplyTM be removed, at least in an ATTEMPT at a solution. Maybe not all of them, but all the ones at one or two airfields as a test. After all, that's what an ALPHA is for yes?

Now I know YOU have no power of influence over this, but if some Dev on a whim were to do this, and it doesn't work AT ALL ;)....

Well then we'd all be willing to endure the "I TOLD YOU SO!!!" of DOOM. and possibly then we'd shut up about it.

well, some of us.

the nice ones.

:)

• Like 1

How so if the only time it happens is when playing DayZ

If it only happens in DayZ then its a problem with the mod not the engine

pretty much what im saying.. the moderator has no idea what he/she is talking about... its just the dead soldier(1,2,and 3) bodies that are causing the glitch

ON TOPIC: still not voting till maybe tomorrow when 1.7.3 COULD be out (according to matt)

you have my vote . A patch taking out the glitchy soldier bodies until theyre fixed would be nice though and im sure no one would miss them for a while . Also i was under the impression that now Rocket was working with BI they would let him have access to the engine to make alterations etc..

Edited by Moxyz1

Voted! Love DayZ MOD, really looking forward to the standalone release!

To all you negative Nancys out there...SHUT UP! You got a free MOD! You were the one that jumped on the bandwagon and bought the game just to play the MOD. I already played Arma 2 for games such as project reality and ACE.

Now I thank you all for playing but cool it until the standalone comes out. The simple fact is that most problems cannot be fixed without access to the games code (and manipulation of it).

I would much rather the DEVs work on the standalone and get the alpha out ASAP...abandon the MOD.

• Like 1

I can't vote yet either as a Server Admin paying to host a Server for the game when there's issues regarding vehicles and art factual glitches. Not to mention the hacking problem. I find difficult to maintain a server due to the lack of players on the servers at the moment.

Used to regular news and update on possible fixes, I was on the forums on a daily basis helping ppl and checking to see what is being done to resolve the few things that still stands between this being a Great Mod / GAME... But sadly nothing about any pending updates or fixes. Just this award at least there was a chance to express some concern

And Job well done thus far.

I will vote for DayZ. In the full knowledge that voting for anything is a complete waste of time.

Surely the support this Mod has gained from word of mouth should be all the encouragement you need to create a brilliant game. Hype should only be required to sell something that is actually shit and make people rich despite that. Advertising has become the art of deceit.

If you can't find someone willing to sufficiently bankroll this game by now, perhaps it is ego or attitude getting in the way. If the conduct of the moderators on the official DayZ forum is anything to go by, I would say both.

Arma 2 is an awesome game. DayZ is an awesome Mod. BIS are a visionary company that does not follow conventional market trends. I love this about BIS. But I am sure they will never get rich on my love.

What ruined DayZ for me, was the popularity of it, and it's subsequent targeting by people that don't want to follow the rules. If the aim of the developers is to get as many people playing the standalone as possible, then the developers better be putting in some serious (and working) enforcement for playing by the rules. A game (any game) needs rules, in order to be a fair game. If the developers are planning on releasing a standalone they hope will have the popularity of DayZ (at it's height), without protecting the community from cheaters, it will fail. Sure, a lot of people will still buy it (me included), but they will tell their friends NOT to buy it, if they are disappointed.

This Mod did not grow this big through conventional media hype. Why are you all so focussed on conventional media hype? If Rocket sees himself as a PR man now, then hand the project over to someone who will bury themselves in the work, and then Rocket can tell us all how wonderfully it is going.

Has Rocket played on many public servers? I watched an interview where he indicated how he plays and it seemed to me that he must be playing a single player version. Proning to avoid zombies? That is a great way to get shot by any KOS players. Having a dog? This is going to be far less useful than having a bicycle. Bicycles work fine, I am betting that dogs wont. Will a dog be as hard to find as a bicycle? because if that is the case you are wasting your time adding them because it is almost impossible to find a bicycle.

Earlier versions of the DayZ-mod did not have these issues. Some of the barbed wire did, sometimes. But never anything as profoundly broken as the glitching at the five locations in which the bug occurs (NW airfield, Stary Sobor, Cherno square (with the statue) Berezino military camps and Balota airfield).

The fact that the graphical glitches have been exasperated by continued "development" of DayZ seems to indicate that the glitches originates from the mod, not the game. Indeed it could be an issue with one factor of the mod using the engine in a new way which does not work, but then that type of functionality again could be solved within the mod, at the very least temporarily until BI fixes whatever issue there is with combining their engine with DayZ.

Fact: DayZ Loads many, many, many more objects into a mission than a normal ArmA2 mission.

Fact: Most of these objects occur AFTER the mission is loaded, very little is preloaded as part of the mission loading sequence.

Fact: This has caused NaN results for verticies in instances of certain objects, that were binarized in a different way. When the verticies went to NaN they stretch as far as allowed in the engine (50m max size for an object).

Fact: A change in the way ArmA2 rendered made NaN happen with these objects, due to a graphical optimization. Floating point precision was lost in complex scenes, causing the issue.

Fact: This has been fixed for the dead bodies.

Fact: It is possible, but much less likely, that this occurs for Wire Obstacles.

• Like 6

Fact: DayZ Loads many, many, many more objects into a mission than a normal ArmA2 mission.

Fact: Most of these objects occur AFTER the mission is loaded, very little is preloaded as part of the mission loading sequence.

Fact: This has caused NaN results for verticies in instances of certain objects, that were binarized in a different way. When the verticies went to NaN they stretch as far as allowed in the engine (50m max size for an object).

Fact: A change in the way ArmA2 rendered made NaN happen with these objects, due to a graphical optimization. Floating point precision was lost in complex scenes, causing the issue.

Fact: This has been fixed for the dead bodies.

Fact: It is possible, but much less likely, that this occurs for Wire Obstacles.

Rocket science.

• Like 6

Fact: Day Z has had a fair bit of success.

Fact: The 'Proof of Concept' succeeded.

Fact: The mod gained popularity and grew to over a million players.

Fact: Since the standalone's announcement players have dropped severely. Either waiting for the new game or moving on to other pastures.

Fact: This is a Mod and as much as I support you guys I will not vote for you until you have released an actual game.

Fact: I do not think you are worthy of competition against other developers that have done a much better job in their specific fields.

Wish you the guys the best but lets be realistic here. As a test this has done very well but it is certainly not worth any awards as of yet.

Edited by SumoS
  • Like 2