mattlightfoot

GDC Online Awards

did not vote

Too many cheaters. Server admins do not have the tools to catch them. Developers are given only empty promises. The game is dying. Do something.

Actually, any admins who take the time to do research will find there are a lot of new features that will enable SOME prevention, but the bulk of the time will at least give them what they need to ban post offense. I should know, I was running a tight game on my server before I had to let the sub run out due to extenuating circumstances.

• Like 1

As for word from Rocket, I don't know where you get the impression he isn't talking, there are loads of interview with him at GamesCom. He is with IGN at the moment and will at PAX from tomorrow onwards.

Its not only rocket, its the team, if there is no new information about patches and fixes and so on for weeks, it is really bad. And the interviews, is a joke, isn't it? If he has time to travel around the world and only repeat all the known information, but he has a lack of time to post into the forum, so he has to fix his priority.

I don't vote for a idea. If the game is standalone and good i will vote.

• Like 3

Anyone else notice that all the guys hating in this thread, have a very low post count and no display pic ? Could it be that these guys all fell victim to my ban hammer ? :P

aint you special

Rocket decided to make a mandatory 4 posts a week on the forums wont fix the bugs, people would still withhold their votes, like disgruntled wives.

I voted despite the dev team utterly failed to predict the 2000% increase in players, thus have been working crazy hours to establish the infrastructure though the last couple of months, utelizing my favourite gaming platform, the BIS engine, to finally deliver the zombe/survival experience, we all been looking for.

I've been killed by my share of bugs, but have shugged them off, as I consider it an honor to witnessing a tiny mod take on a decades of gamer dummification.

Edited by Dallas
  • Like 2

Eh, I'll vote once the standalone comes out. I love the game, sure, but right now it's just a shell of what it could be, due to issues like horrific bugs and hackers. Sure, I know those are the joys of an alpha, and that they'll be addressed. But that's why it won't get my vote quite yet. I don't believe in voting for something that is not anywhere near completion, because I can't validate something that could change for the better or worse or not at all.

Keep up the communication on the forums, and post things more relevant than "Vote for us on GDC!" and I might be a bit more willing. Until then, I'll stick to my guns and should there be any votes needed post standalone, you'll get it, for better or worse.

• Like 1

I understand your frustration, but your language seems to suggest we haven't tried.... Any frustration you show at problems with the mod, multiply that by ten and you will be at how frustrating it is for Dean and the rest of the development team when we can't fix things. Now some problems we inherit from Arma 2, some are caused by ourselves, we have released hotfixes to try and fix the graphical glitches, they work for some but they don't for others.

As for word from Rocket, I don't know where you get the impression he isn't talking, there are loads of interview with him at GamesCom. He is with IGN at the moment and will at PAX from tomorrow onwards.

I apologize if I was a bit too without tact but the fact remains that this game has been nigh unplayable for a long time now, for what seems like a simple reason. There are horrid graphical glitches and everyone knows and has known where they come from. These should have been hotfixed first thing, rather than let the community stew in a game where the zones with the most heated action simply cannot be played in.

Again I apologize if I don't understand the scope of these issues but a simple, reassuring forum post would clear all that up and make the community feel better. This is something I know at least me and several of my friends could use. I've listened to interviews with rocket but they dont answer the question I want answered: What is being done and when can it be expected? Best case scenario: 1.7.2.5.1 tomorrow fixing the damned graphical glitches so I can actually play your game.

I dont expect much to be done soon since the maker of the game feels it's more important to pimp his broken game at conventions than actually fix it.

• Like 1

LtChicken. How about you learn to use forum's before you start telling devs how to develop. This is not a thread about game development. Please post your suggestions in the correct place or start a new thread regarding your issues.

I won't vote for DayZ.

Clearly there HAS TO be more deserving games/mods and I don't want them to be robbed.

I'm not going to vote for the potential awesomeness of a concept over an actual achievement.

I believe winning an award shouldn't be as easy as releasing a really early product before it's done and making promises you might not even keep.

Edited by Nucleqrwinter
  • Like 3

i will vote for dayz when 1.7.3 is released :)

• Like 1

Why promote DayZ mod when DayZ standalone is coming? Now what would be the benefit in developing the next update for the mod without having trying to solve the issues already with the mod. As is evident, now some of the things we are adding into the mod, are causing more problems. This is why we are working on standalone, because we can solve many issues through going standalone.

Now as for community discussion, myself and Dean and are the two people who read the forums and reply. Two people to a community of over 1,000,000. At that ratio we can never reply to everyone and every question and we are working on improving this, but we can't do everything at once.

Back onto topic, if you don't want to vote for DayZ, please vote for someone you think deserves it :)

DayZ mod is the alpha for the standalone, so in promoting DayZ, you're promoting the standalone. Yes, it would be nice if you did fix the glitches instead of adding new things, but I've yet to see any updates on patches for all these bugs. They're game-breakers too. I know you fixed graphical glitches before, way before all the fame, in like a week. What's so different about these glitches that takes five times as long?

Although there are 1,000,000+ players, I see about 2 threads a day that deserve a response from Rocket, yet I can't even find him on the "Online Users" list, ever. I refuse to accept that he has no time to give a formal response to all these complaints. The die-hard fanboys will never ask you for this, since Rocket is their God, but (hopefully) sensible people like me will.

• Like 1

Voted for DayZ.. Why? Because in the last Month i played games like Diablo etc. etc. But they were not able to hold me playing them. So one friend told me that he is playing a Zombie game and i was like ( ugh again a Left4Dead Zombie game..? ) Then i started playing this beatiful Mod and it hit me right in the heart. I'm not complaining of artifacts, bugs etc. because the Main thing is there and this is what keeps me playing this Mod! I even can't wait to pay for the standalone because i know this Mod will handel it on their own. I mean why are we complaining of an Alpha? Instand of complaining we should be proud of this mod because it is one of the best mods in Alpha status that i ever had seen! So yea that is why DayZ is getting a Vote from me.

P.S: I hope you are able to understand my terrible english.

So he can take time to do media interviews but can't take 5 minutes to make a post on his own mod's forums :huh:? I thought he was too busy coding the stand alone/1.7.3 update and that's why he hasn't posted in about a month :rolleyes:?

Anyways I'd vote for DayZ but right now I don't think it's right as the mod in its current state needs a little TLC to fix some major issues (artifacts, vehicles not saving, tents not saving etc. etc.) but maybe once the major issues are sorted out or the stand alone comes along I'll toss my vote in. Just my 2 cents, and I miss playing DayZ but right now I've not really had anything to do except die or kill other people.

• Like 2

Anyone else notice that all the guys hating in this thread, have a very low post count and no display pic ? Could it be that these guys all fell victim to my ban hammer ? :P

Yes, because my post count is so low and having no profile picture makes my argument invalid. You can pass off everyone who disagrees with you as a banned kid, whatever floats your boat. But, there are people who are genuinely frustrated.

Also, deleting my post so Matt Lightfoot has the final word in the argument was a nice touch.

I know this is off-topic, but this is literally the only place I've seen a response from someone other than a forum mod (blue). I can't get them to respond on other threads, so here will have to do.

Edited by TheDesigner
  • Like 1

this is where the impression comes from that he isnt talking. look at the dates. he sure does do loads of interviews, which are scattered all across the internet. how do you find it all? this is the OFFICIAL place to go for dayz, right? this is the OFFICIAL dayz community right? doesnt it make sense that this would be the place to go for all that shit gathered in one place, at the very least? to go a step further, this we should be the most well informed people about dayz, other than you and the rest of the dev team. we of course of not developers, but as testers we are part of the team. a bigger part of the team than the general public, that has never tested it... that is what most people are talking about. not the fact that he isnt giving us an update about an update, but the fact there are dozens of websites that do get the attention, when this OFFICIAL site gets nothing. again, check the dates below.

this needs to get more organized. and i dont want to here about do it myself, thats what a "forum team" is for. its to bad the only thing we ever hear from the mods is "locked". in my opinion, simply locking a topic is not the same as moderating.

rockets most recent posts:

22 August 2012 - 03:27 AM .....

Post either on reddit or in t....

21 August 2012 - 06:45 AM .....

10 August 2012 - 10:15 AM ....

10 August 2012 - 10:10 AM ....

10 August 2012 - 10:02 AM ....

snapback.png

Edited by sivart
  • Like 2

Im not voting until we hear either about the stand alone or the incomming patch. I feel abandonned and Im not alone, so Im not doing shit until you guys post some stuff.

Hm sorry I can't vote for DayZ as it is a MOD not a GAME, at least not yet. /bs

In all seriousness, to be worthy of an award is to have a product that is perfect and persistent in not just idea and gameplay, but also support and execution. DayZ has a great idea, it has great gameplay. What it doesn't have, at least not anymore, is communication and technical support. Give me bullshit on how scripts can't be fixed when you can't even give admins the ban button. Give me bullshit on how DayZ is an "anti-game" and how this is all an experiment. These terms mean nothing to me anymore, coming from someone who wants to have a good time but can't.

I'll vote when I see a good product, not the vague illusion and poor implementation of one.

Edited by Thasik
  • Like 2

And the winner, in the Best Game that Borders on Being Unplayable is....

And the winner, in the least effective hacker prevention software is ...

Seriously, Devs, I appreciate your efforts and think Rocket has developed something unique. Beans to you.

I voted for it.

I love the mod/game/anti-game whatever the hell you want to call it. It eats enough of my time to warrant a vote. I would like things to get better feature/hacker/scripter-wise but this still deserves our support.

I'm in it for the long haul.

didn't got my vote, honestly its a mod not a game, and the mod still has some unbearable bugs

I voted for DayZ .. can't wait for the standalone, its the moste immersive game experience I have had in a long time , and when I started and my hunger icon was flashing and I found a can of beans in a barn , I said to myself .. I can't remember the last time I got genuinely excited about finding a can of beans in a game.

My beans forever

DM

i feel like rocket and the dayz team is busy talking to all other media outlets.. but is/has abandoned the home forums..why should i have to go on reddit or twitter for info?? shouldn't the main source be the games website???

• Like 2