hoik

Would this make surrender a viable option?

This has been disscussed elseware but i think its worth bringing back up as life in DayZ should be valued and there should be other viable options than murder to (forcefully) get what you want from other players.

So:

-Players, when hoplessly compromised, can choose to surrender.

-There will be an obvious surrender animation and the player will drop all their loot - EXCEPT(this is my suggestion) for the default amount of equipment you have on spawn.

-If you have less than or equal to this amount you drop nothing

Now this may sound like a raw deal, but better than being stripped naked of all your equipment then sent on your merry way - this is basicly a death sentance anyway so you may aswell take some of the bastards with you!

So rather than this you can choose to surrender, and your robbers (not being totally without morals) "choose" to leave you with the bare essentials - or they could still execute you. The choice is still there. But at least this way you have a chance to keep all your stats, while being reset to spawn default equipment (which would happen anyway if you chose suicide).

Of course there is the third option of escape - just disconnect - a problem also discussed alot on other posts. But for the sake of argument lets say this problem is already resolved and is no longer a problem!

So is this a viable solution? Would you choose to surrender for the sake of your stats? Could it be a way for new comers (with very little loot) to meet and join up with larger gangs?

EDIT:

"you'll have to pry it from my cold, dead, hands..."

Ok so there are some valid points being made - I agree that being forced to drop your loot is a bad idea and that forcing you to a defaut state on surrender is not the best solution.

So here is my alternative:

*rather than being forced to a default state on surrender a players can designate two or three items that can only be pried from your "cold, dead, hands...", that is they become your "default" items that you can fall back on in a surrender situations.

*You can change your "death grip" to any items at any point in time, but larger ones (rifles etc) may require both hands to hold onto.

*when forced into a surrender situation (I know for some people this may NEVER be an option, but personaly I think thats a uninteligent way to approach a situation where you are hopelessly outguned) your assailants can rummage through your pack and will be able to see (with little hand icons) what items you are clinging to for dear life.

*This could lead to tense (if one sided) negotiations between the bandits and the captor - but remember you as the captor have NOTHING TO LOOSE.

Remember, if they take all your stuff your dead anyway - if they execute you, yes, you are dead. So making a bargin - even a tough one - is actually the smart thing to do. They may shoot you, but if they dont within the first few seconds it is highly unlikely that this is their intention and you can play to this unwillingness to take another players life.

Of course this all hinges on life being given an very clear global value in the game. Without it the death of a stranger has zero impact on you, so with zero compromises you can kill him with no social or finatial impact - Im not in favour of punishing murderers, im all about freedom, but there should be mechanics which at the least make you think for a moment before putting a bullet in someones head.

This is my take on how you could implement a global value to players lives: http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=10295

maybe if once surrendered you entered an option of where the captor took what they wanted, dunno about resetting to default tbh, because they still might want something in that default.

And thats still an option - the thing is if you rob a dude of his most basic stuff, it is essentially a death sentance. Just put a bullet in his head and be done with it - all his loot is yours, no compromise.

Alternatly when robbed, the robber could request the rest of your kit - and if you were wise you'd tell him to suck your c***. So once again, the choice is upto the robber - hes already pillaged all your valuables, is he willing to trade some of his humanity for the little equipment you have left?

Players already have no qualms about killing other players. Giving them the option to get less loot and leave a living and probably annoyed victim isn't much of an incentive.

Doesn't make much sense. If they have the option, they would just kill anyway. And I'm not sure how many people would choose surrender if they felt they had any chance of fighting, running, or DCing.

Right now, no one gets attached to his/her avatar. But if there was less of a pvp motivation, this kind of feature would be nice.

A "surrender" stance I mean. Dropping everything, I'm no big fan. But surrendering should be an option.

I remember seeing a video of a guy doing this in his bandit skin. He was a highway robber. if the guy didn't obey, he would kill him, but otherwise leave him alive and not waste a round.

• Like 1

So the problem comes down to how do you create a intrinsic value to a players life in DayZ.

limited lives per day? 3 or 4 maybe?

the surender option should not drop your loot but it should holster your weapons and force you to put your hands up, if you go your gun you would need to unholster them, also its unlikely a bandit will want all your gear, if the bandit has an ak he isnt going to take the winny you have but he may take your 1911 leaving you with his old mak

• Like 1

see edit - this could be intesting.

I really like the idea of an surrender action. I do think it definitely should have an impact on the mindless slaughter fest going on now.

But i do not think the mechanism of you dropping your gear is optimal. I think the surrendering action should work more like unmovingtarget proposed. The player would holster his weapon, stand up with hands in the air. Maybe even make a sound (yell out: I surrender) so that the aggressor would know their opponent was surrendering even if they were behind cover.

A surrendered player would act like a dead player in that way that the bandit could take what he wanted from both backpack and inventory. As long as he can carry it all.

The surrendered player would stay like this for a minimum amount of time (let's say 2 minutes) so that the other player wouldn't need to fear getting shot by the surrendered player when he walked away.

Allowing the bandit to take all he could carry would mean that in most cases the surrendering player would be left with the lesser weapon and ammo. food and medical supplies that the other player needed (wanted) will be lost. This I believe to be the most realistically and unforgiving approach to this mechanism. If the winner of the engagement was a group of multiple people the surrendered could possibly be left without any gear. In which case all he would "earn" by surrendering instead of getting killed would be their current location (could be far north).

This solution would also allow the surrender function to be used as a "strip search" option. allowing all the trade posts and player hold encampments i have read about being able to control what visitors bring into their camp. Simply by "looting" a surrendering player.

When I kill another player, it is almost always because I feel threatened by them. If they were able to surrender to me, I would take that as an indication of friendliness, and let them be (or rob them depending on the situation).

The surrender action should be toggleable, should drop whatever weapon you are holding onto the ground, and require about three seconds to get out of. When you are in the surrendered stance, you should still be able to crouch or stand, and walk around at your leisure (though your assailant may demand otherwise). When in this mode, your assailant should be able to loot your back pack, your inventory, and whatever weapon you still have holstered.

A good companion to this would be a skill advance system, wherein players get better at doing things with practice. This will make them value their lives, as there is something that they cannot easily recover. It would also be good if players had to pay $1 to respawn.

How about if you decide to surrender, then the other guys who are basically there to rob you, get the option to walk up to you (while you hands are up and no weapon at the ready) and search your inventory for what ever they want.

possibly also an option to decide to stop surrendering, and engage them again? once the robber comes closer? i dunno. but i think bringing in the possibility of getting robbed instead of always killed, helps to flesh out the game and add what could be a valuable asset (if luck works out in his favor) to maintain the number of days he has worked for, and at least maybe some of his stuff.

just simply be able to walk up to the guy, look into his inventory and take what he wants, if the guy decides to stop surrendering, his inventory screen dissapears and they both better get ready for a fight, unless the victim decides to bolt and run out of there taking his chances.

It could be a tool to buy some victims a little extra time to decide what they want to do when confronted with a group or a situation that has startled them.

Edited by Lord3n
  • Like 1