Is this for real guys? Really? This makes me sad.

Look dude, this is a GAME. I know it's a game that you really like and you really want it to be fixed and worked on, but it's still just a GAME. I don't understand why you can't just wait and be patient, are you really that immature? Do you not have anything else going on in your life right now? Go do something else for a while and then come back when the game is ready. Maybe go try out one of those "job" things, it might give you an insight into what work actually is.

Jesus Christ.

Well be patient and go back read the Original Post. It is talking about the treatment of those who are looking for questions, and as usual gets the topic changed by that "group" that does what they do. I don't play Dayz anymore and have not since almost 4 weeks ago. Once again read the original post about me speaking out in defense of others that have been getting yelled at for voicing concerns about the mod being supported after it was clearly said it would be.

TL;DR version...

-He hasn't played in 4 weeks.

-He's demanding they reassure him everything is going to be okay, or else they have to shut down the mod until the bugs are fixed.

-He's mad cause people don't like listening to rants about bugs/hackers constantly.

/thread

Edited by bad_mojo
  • Like 2

Well be patient and go back read the Original Post. It is talking about the treatment of those who are looking for questions, and as usual gets the topic changed by that "group" that does what they do. I don't play Dayz anymore and have not since almost 4 weeks ago. Once again read the original post about me speaking out in defense of others that have been getting yelled at for voicing concerns about the mod being supported after it was clearly said it would be.

Have you seen the posts that get made where people are "voicing concerns"? Alot of them contain threats, personal insults and just overall a pretty shitty attitude towards the devs and admins. So yes, these people deserve to be "yelled" at. What I was saying was just to simply be patient; all these threads and complaints have been heard, but they're not going to make things happen any faster, especially when a large majority of them are just made up of angry kids spewing hate and personal attacks against rocket.

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Like 2

Yeah really, I see where the OP is coming from. I hate all the litigious BS about TECHNICALLY not being entitled to criticize anything DayZ since we TECHNICALLY didn't pay for DayZ itself! I myself spent 30 dollars just to specifically play DayZ. I don't care what any armchair lawyer in here says, because I and everybody else should be able to give constructive criticism without rocket (when he actually bothers to comment) or a moderator underplaying it by saying "Well, you didn't pay for DayZ, so...", or "It's an Alpha, so stfu". Rocket said he wanted to hear the whole spectrum of opinions, so as to 'not become out of touch' with his player base and get too full of himself. Also, the developer(s) was to keep in good contact with the community...Well, so much for these platitudes.

Constructive criticism is one thing. I believe that we should be allowed to give that and they acknowledge our concerns and desires. What I have a problem with is people bad-mouthing devs and forum staff about not putting up with their crap. Got an actual problem? Voice it. Find a bug? Report it. Come up with an idea? Got a suggestion forum for that. Ranting and raving that nobody has given you an update about the next patch or hotfix when it's only been 17 days since the last one? No, that's just too much.

Hey Gumpinfuck, I want you to quote word for word what this Forum Admin said in the threat you're so butt hurt about. A link would be nice as well, because if you misinterpreted the original meaning behind the post, you deserve a slow, painful death.

[user warned. -Max]

Edited by Max Planck

rocket will release the hotfix or patch when its ready, as for the people complaining you think by doing so its gonna make rocket code and fix bugs any faster? we may have to wait a while but it will eventually come. If you are upset because the game is broken then simply get off dayz and go play a game that is not in a unplayable state or go outside and enjoy the suns rays. however instead of worrying about when the update or patch will come you should be worried on if the bugs will be properly fixed or not.

Read all 6 pages this morning and realized this is a internet argument and his clearly to stubborn to understand.

I vote we let him moan all day on what he thinks he deserves and just never reply to his threads, think he will enjoy that.

thread starter is a bad troll

he should be beaten with sticks and thrown to the lions.

Wow. The attitude I was talking about summed up in one paragraph. I think I'll share this response on my Youtube channel along with all the good things Ive said about the game. As well as share it with the hundreds of people that have bought the game due to my recommendations and videos raving about the game that you just described as crap. The point of this post was the attitudes of guys like you. Someone said that you guys are volunteers. Perhaps they should get some paid people in there with half of a mind about how to promote a game and take care of public relations. You really don't think that your attitudes and lack of communication with the community will have anything to do with your sales. Please, Please go get an education about some simple business principals. And before you spout off about my education. I have a BA in Economics & Business. So I know a little something about how the cookie crumbles.

I guess its just the language and overall structure of your posts that lend people to believe you aren't educated.

I have a friend that has two masters degrees and nobody suspects it because he drinks too much an is a jerk most the time. His verbage is weak and not reflective of an educated man.

However they can see him in person and we can't see you so thats why you come off as a 13 year old.

You have some good points, but as an educated person you don't need me to tell you that more people will respect them if they don't come off in a condescending or sarcastic way.

So if rocket is so busy making PR for the game, and doesnt have time for the mod or whatever, then why not use some volounteers to at least fix the broken parts of the mod?

I bet alot of dudes on this forum knows a bit of SQF, the save bug for instance is as far as i know a matter of a missing operator in a IF sentence, something that should take like 10 minutes MAX to fix...

Please note that im not QQ'ing im trying to be constructive.

But anywho on topic: You are all being dicks, moderators, rocket zealots and opposites likewise.

Both sides needs to get the sand out of their vags and be a little more polite, it is no mystery that people complain, its totally natural since the last patch broke more stuff than it fixed / implemented.

If you start raging whenever people are legitimately asking questions about this, you are just being a dick, the last few patches was spewed out in a very short timespan, but when stuff actually needs fixing it suddenly takes weeks or month to push out a patch? Yeah i totally understand the frustration, i understand the need to vent this frustration too (Without being called a selfentitled 12 year old cod fag with mental disorders).

Alot of people has purchased arma for the sole purpose of playing this mod, so from their perspective they gave "something" perhaps not to rocket, but they - wether you like it or not, made an investment to even play this game, and yes i understand that frustration, if you don't YOU are likely the one with a sociopathic disorder of some sorts..

• Like 1

Watching this forum over the last month has been a real eye-opener for me as to why I've never seen an open alpha before.

As much as people like to argue (add nauseum) to the contrary, in an alpha test, they do not owe us a thing as far as updates to playability.

Watching this forum over the last month has been a real eye-opener for me as to why I've never seen an open alpha before.

As much as people like to argue (add nauseum) to the contrary, in an alpha test, they do not owe us a thing as far as updates to playability.

/THREAD

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man

Quoting a post 3 times doesnt make it right. I think that playability is key to testing new elements and game balance, but then again i might be wrong.

Rocket doesn't hate making the game.

He hates our fucking attitude (as exemplified by OP).

• Like 2

Quoting a post 3 times doesnt make it right. I think that playability is key to testing new elements and game balance, but then again i might be wrong.

It is a key to test new element, yes. But Rocket is not required to fix or patch the mod publicly for all of us to play.

98% of the people currently "testing" the mod is playing it as a full release.

If they weren't, they wouldn't be whining about losing their gear because of bugs.

• Like 1

Well, it certainly does help. But that has precisely nothing to do with how we feel about it. Just because a buttload of people saw a bunch of youtube videos and downloaded the alpha test doesn't change it magically into a beta, or as some seem to think it is, a finished product.Rocket had to go to Gamescon. I assume he's at PAX as well. From what I saw he threw out 1.7.2.5 just before he left in an attempt to fix a couple of the issues people were bitching about. Mostly the artifacting.

Unfortunately, it didn't work and broke the tents.

That is how testing works. Sometimes solutions don't work and/or break other stuff. It is just the way it goes. The guy's out of town, away from his development environment. I think it would be really swell if he dropped 1.7.3 before he went to PAX, but it's not like when you're playing WoW or Diablo and Bnet goes down. He is under no obligation to deliver us a level of support.

He's also not required to bring us up to speed on development, as much as people would like to believe he is.

Like I said earlier, I had in the past often wondered why they don't open up testing more to the public on games instead of hiring testers. The avalanche of abuse and whining this forum has generated should be referenced by any developer who has that thought. I guess if you're willing to put up with the constant whining, it might have advantages.

As to:

Alot of people has purchased arma for the sole purpose of playing this mod, so from their perspective they gave "something" perhaps not to rocket, but they - wether you like it or not, made an investment to even play this game, and yes i understand that frustration, if you don't YOU are likely the one with a sociopathic disorder of some sorts..

We made that investment. Rocket never made the claim that bugfixes would come within hours, nor did he make the claim that it was a finished product. There is no EULA that guarantees playability or uptime. Everything to do with this game is abundantly clear that it is an Alpha test.

We chose to buy ArmA to get to play it. That doesn't change anything, as much as you guys want to believe it does. You don't have a leg to stand on. The fact that you apparently didn't understand what 'Alpha' means within the context of development is nobody's fault but your own. This is not a 'product' that you purchased, as much as you try to say otherwise. It's a free mod for a game that a guy put up, and a buttload of people downloaded it. That still doesn't magically turn us into 'customers'.

• Like 2

Well, it certainly does help.

Maybe it helps people like you who, obviously can't read through posts. I find it annoying and childish.

But that has precisely nothing to do with how we feel about it. Just because a buttload of people saw a bunch of youtube videos and downloaded the alpha test doesn't change it magically into a beta, or as some seem to think it is, a finished product.Rocket had to go to Gamescon. I assume he's at PAX as well. From what I saw he threw out 1.7.2.5 just before he left in an attempt to fix a couple of the issues people were bitching about. Mostly the artifacting.

First of all there is a great difference between "Bitching" about something and bringing it to attention. That being said i totally agree with you that there is too much bitching about the same topics here. Especially the topics "Wire fench glitches", "Tent save", "hackers" and last but NOT least "BITCHING"!!!

That is how testing works. Sometimes solutions don't work and/or break other stuff. It is just the way it goes. The guy's out of town, away from his development environment. I think it would be really swell if he dropped 1.7.3 before he went to PAX, but it's not like when you're playing WoW or Diablo and Bnet goes down. He is under no obligation to deliver us a level of support.

- I work in software development, don't judge me dude. I know how stuff like this works! I understand how bugs can happen, especially in early development. What i DONT get is the way releases are handled. The ideal for me would be STABLE releases for people who just want it to work, and a repository (git or svn) for those of us who wants the latest revisions availible. A stable revision is one that has been through some sorts of QA tests, which the latest patch obviously hasn't.

He's also not required to bring us up to speed on development, as much as people would like to believe he is.

- No he is not. But as some have probably brought to your attention, it is a pretty neat gesture if you wan't to keep your community blooming.

Like I said earlier, I had in the past often wondered why they don't open up testing more to the public on games instead of hiring testers. The avalanche of abuse and whining this forum has generated should be referenced by any developer who has that thought. I guess if you're willing to put up with the constant whining, it might have advantages.

As to:

We made that investment. Rocket never made the claim that bugfixes would come within hours, nor did he make the claim that it was a finished product. There is no EULA that guarantees playability or uptime. Everything to do with this game is abundantly clear that it is an Alpha test.

You don't have open testing before you have the basic parts of the game near finished. simple as that!

But I do agree that people are bitching way too much over a mod. but i think it is related to the fact that mods is oldschool (Back in the CS pre 1.x days, everyone knew what a mod was, today there is no mods, hell nearly all mainstream games are non-moddable). Kids these days simply have no idea of what a mod is and what obligations the author has or hasnt.

And actually the FAQ mentions a more flowing release system.

RDP for DayZ staff so updates can be self applied. Alpha is a very rough time, 10 updates van be released in an hour

- snipped from the FAQ thread regarding RDP access to servers. (I know that RDP isnt used anymore by dayz staff, but this also reflects that there is very little update from dayz "staff")

Have i claimed that this is anything BUT a very crude alpha? no? OK? so STFU and stop stuffing my mouth with your own words.

We chose to buy ArmA to get to play it. That doesn't change anything, as much as you guys want to believe it does. You don't have a leg to stand on. The fact that you apparently didn't understand what 'Alpha' means within the context of development is nobody's fault but your own. This is not a 'product' that you purchased, as much as you try to say otherwise. It's a free mod for a game that a guy put up, and a buttload of people downloaded it. That still doesn't magically turn us into 'customers'.

I didnt understand what again? You are doing that thing again you prejudice troll. I didn't buy Arma for dayz, i had Arma2 long before i even heard of this mod. Please go back a little an READ my post, and you will see that im not really being QQ about anything.

Regards

MJ

PS. Why don't you guys cut out the circlejerking about whiners. It should be the forum mods responsibility to lock those threads, what you are doing is called backseat moderation, and should be a bannable offense.

Edited by MorphineJunkie

You don't have open testing before you have the basic parts of the game near finished. simple as that!

...Apparently they did. Sorry that conflicts with your worldview.

I didnt understand what again? You are doing that thing again you prejudice troll. I didn't buy Arma for dayz, i had Arma2 long before i even heard of this mod. Please go back a little an READ my post, and you will see that im not really being QQ about anything.

Um, that's a direct reply to your post. I kind of did READ your post. You remember the part where you said:

And my point was, that's great and all, still doesn't make them his 'customers' regardless of the legion of wishful thoughts to the contrary. They had to buy a PC to play this game. Does he owe them something for that too?

First of all there is a great difference between "Bitching" about something and bringing it to attention. That being said i totally agree with you that there is too much bitching about the same topics here. Especially the topics "Wire fench glitches", "Tent save", "hackers" and last but NOT least "BITCHING"!!!

- I work in software development, don't judge me dude. I know how stuff like this works! I understand how bugs can happen, especially in early development. What i DONT get is the way releases are handled. The ideal for me would be STABLE releases for people who just want it to work, and a repository (git or svn) for those of us who wants the latest revisions availible. A stable revision is one that has been through some sorts of QA tests, which the latest patch obviously hasn't.

Stopped reading there. This is an alpha release.

http://drupal.org/node/467020

http://www.3am.pair.com/beta.html

• Like 2

A latest post from the "Forum Admin" says that he will run it by Rocket that we would like a hotfix for a few issues. And he adds that if we comment and ask properly that Rocket may even enjoy giving us updates.

This has been a recurring attitude that somehow because the mod doesn't make money that the dev team is somehow giving us something free and we should all be thankful for that. A recurring theme that seems like Rocket hates this process or perhaps his job? Maybe he will enjoy giving us updates?

Well maybe if you speak to the community like a half ass professional I will enjoy giving you my money for the stand alone that the mod that we have tested, advertised, and brought the world of gamings attention to has built up to the point that it is going to make millions of dollars.

If you guys are so oh we don't need to do this if we don't want to. Go ahead, show us those balls of steel and just drop the entire project. Don't release the stand alone and show us all who's the big bad boss man here. Go ahead.

I got a feeling that there is about 30 million reasons at least that you release that game and you'll enjoy every penny. The mod is finished? Fine, time to start treating us like future consumers!

orly? dunno why you got your pannies bunched up.

- I work in software development, don't judge me dude. I know how stuff like this works!

Oh shit, are we waggling our e-peens now? Can I partake?

I work in software development too, and I am judging you. It's painfully clear you don't know what you're talking about.

The ideal for me would be STABLE releases for people who just want it to work, and a repository (git or svn) for those of us who wants the latest revisions availible. A stable revision is one that has been through some sorts of QA tests, which the latest patch obviously hasn't.

Bahaha. This is where I call into question your credentials. Think about it. This isn't just a self contained package. He (Rocket) runs the hive. He would need to maintain a stable and nightly (or whatever) Hive since patch-to-patch they're not always compatible with all hive implementations. Sysadmins would then have to decide which "hive" they wanted to use (stable/nightly). Characters wouldn't go between the hives (withoutadding even more dev time for implementation). By waggling your e-peen around of "Well, I'm in development and "stable" is a cool word to use. Also, I know names of version control systems! Just make things stable, Rocket. Yeah, I know the solution!" you just look like an idiot.

Rocket clearly is swamped as it is, let alone developing a two tiered release system with two different hives and doubling the maintenance work. And, QA? Hahaha. It's a free independent mod, dude. What QA? It looks like he can sometimes run it through some minor closed testing, but what do you want from Rocket? The amount of dev work you just described is many times over what Rocket has available right now based upon the state of affairs. Calm the hell down. It's an alpha mod. It's independently developed. It's free. You *can* wait. You *will* wait.

Slink back down and stop trying to e-waggle your dev credentials, because I hereby revoke them. You must use logic to work in development, which you clearly lack.

• Like 1

Which would you rather?

Continued work on a mod for a game running on a 4 year old engine.

Or...

Continued work on a new, standalone game, running on a recently built engine specifically modified and optimised for the game we all want to play, with anti-hack functionality built in from day one?

I know which one I want, and I'm assuming the reason why we're not seeing updates too frequently for the mod is that there's a mad rush to get a working alpha release of DayZ out by the end of 2012.

Edited by MykeMichail

LOL. Rocket, you really need to release this patch! The forums are going nutz baby!

I don't work in software development. But I've done work for people who do. I also know 5 people in software development. One is one of my best friends. One is my brother. Two are in games development.

From what all these people have told me, individuals, companies, management, and ESPECIALLY other programmers, all underestimate how long it should take to do something. What most 'other programmers' fail to realise, is that they're so familiar with what they've been programming for the past 5 to 10 years, that they're repeating the same thing over and over again and thinking its original work.