RECphantom

Alpha testing is over for mod

Actually I am playing on a Side channel enabled server.

There are just so more to do once you have social interaction with players made easy.

I seriously wonder why side-channel feature has been generally removed from the game. It helped keep the incentive, the role-play, the fun along with better surveillance of what's happening on the server.

Removing tools so players can interact better is one of the worst decision ever made for this game. Hopefully some servers still have side channel enabled.

It got taken out because when there isn't an admin on the server, people spam the shit out of side channel. I got really sick of creeping around someone just for someone to start screaming or playing loud music over side chat.

Pffft screw you guys, I play dayz for the beautiful totally stable graphics engine, with no flaws or RETARDED BLACK ARTIFACTS, nope... None

Rocket made the free mod in his spare time, the fact that you paid for Arma2 sounds like your problem not his. Sure he got paid for the concept he created that took off, but the company and Rocket would have to be morons to continue giving the mod away for free. The mod is free and I did buy the game to play a free mod knowing that it would probably get a standalone version, stop crying about reality and things anyone with a working brain could see coming.

This logic is pointless. Regardless of Rocket's original intentions or whether he made the mod on his own time or whathaveyou, the fact is that LOADS of people bought this game specifically for DayZ and no other reason.(and I believe the DayZ players outnumber the original sales of the game).

want to start my own CSAR team that go on recue missions and help others..build our own society and elite team that do what we actully would do if a zombie apocalyps did occur

I think that would actually be kind of fun. Im going on 3 weeks now without dying...I am about to the point where I want to go find a newb...give him all my stuff and ask him nicely to shoot me in the face.

Well I 100% agree this mod is done. Not only is it obvious the devs are focusing on the standalone, but I would have to say half the community has to be using scripts and hacks atm. I am averaging at least 2 deaths a day due to a hacker. With a game of perma death and start over this is just not acceptable.

Just about 5 minutes ago I killed a guy in a ghillie suit out of preemptive self defense (I have no idea if he has a bandit or hero skin or normal skin underneth). 30 seconds later instakilled by a hacker. Either the guy I killed (Alex is his name) was a hacker and butthurt about getting killed or it was my turn for just a random hacker death.

Anxious about the standalone just for the hacker problems personally and I would not mind if they 100% just said fuck it with the mod if that made the standalone come along quicker.

Edited by Xeno =tgt=

This logic is pointless. Regardless of Rocket's original intentions or whether he made the mod on his own time or whathaveyou, the fact is that LOADS of people bought this game specifically for DayZ and no other reason.(and I believe the DayZ players outnumber the original sales of the game).

Good for them, I also bought the game for the free mod. The logic is not pointless, only an IDIOT would assume that a free mod that was this popular would not get a separate stand alone version. Sorry if you were that idiot, but developers do not have to apologize for people lacking common sense. So every one spent 15 to 30 bucks to play a mod, cry me a river. The mod will still be there for those too cheap or butthurt to actually buy the game developed by the creator, so problem solved. It is like fans of this game have no idea how capitalism works, there is a demand for this type of game so naturally the developers and creator wanted to tap that market and make money. As soon as you develop a big hit mod that ties up all your time trying to please whiny users you can make the decision to keep donating all of the effort required to fix a free mod, until that day learn how capitalism works so you do not have this failure in logic in the future (I know kind of dickish, but still).

Edited by Zombie Jesus

Good for them, I also bought the game for the free mod. The logic is not pointless, only an IDIOT would assume that a free mod that was this popular would not get a separate stand alone version. Sorry if you were that idiot, but developers do not have to apologize for people lacking common sense. So every one spent 15 to 30 bucks to play a mod, cry me a river. The mod will still be there for those too cheap or butthurt to actually buy the game developed by the creator, so problem solved.

Luckily I was not that idiot, and given that 30$ is pocket change, it doesn't really matter. You are still completely missing the point. If a million people buy your game to play a mod, you should have a vested interest in making sure that mod stays in a stable state (even if that means tacking a couple extra people or dollars onto the team). They could very easily have one or two programmers implementing Rocket's ideas into the mod while Rocket focuses on standalone.

Unless you think pissing off hundreds of thousands of potential customers is a good strategy, in which case you may be the idiot.

EDIT: Yes I am aware that Rocket, not BI, is responsible for creating the mod. No where in my post did I say otherwise. But now that his mod is also their cash cow, they would do well to provide him resources to maintain it.

Edited by Angel_
  • Like 1

Once the standalone was announced the mod was never going to be a priority. That's the way it should be. I'm sure there will be a few more patches in the coming months, but I certainly don't expect to see Rocket on these boards anywhere near as much as he once was. Not only does he have to develop the standalone, but he has to promote it and answer to the powers that be... it's all about time.

If Rocket were posting constant updates for the mod, the same people complaining about the fact that he isn't would be all over him for not working on the standalone enough. I, for one, feel that I got my money's worth from Arma II and DayZ to the extent that if there was never another patch, I'd be content until the standalone came out.

• Like 1

Luckily I was not that idiot, and given that 30$ is pocket change, it doesn't really matter. You are still completely missing the point. If a million people buy your game to play a mod, you should have a vested interest in making sure that mod stays in a stable state (even if that means tacking a couple extra people or dollars onto the team). They could very easily have one or two programmers implementing Rocket's ideas into the mod while Rocket focuses on standalone.

Unless you think pissing off hundreds of thousands of potential customers is a good strategy, in which case you may be the idiot.

EDIT: Yes I am aware that Rocket, not BI, is responsible for creating the mod. No where in my post did I say otherwise. But now that his mod is also their cash cow, they would do well to provide him resources to maintain it.

As I edited I realized the reply was dickish, but we are complaining about a three week absence after they started working on the stand alone. I would love some updates to the mod (I would also love to have sex with a different super model everyday but common sense dictates that will not happen), but I also realize that certain issues are broken until the stand alone such as hackers and most likely duping. It is a problem of limited resources and I have to say that I am perfectly fine with the company and Rocket devoting those limited resources to releasing a polished stand alone game. At the end of the day it is still a free mod regardless of whether you bought it specifically for Dayz or not, so any updates or fixes should be appreciated and lack of patches during a hectic time should at least be understood. You guys expect the World for nothing in return, show some patience. This is why most game companies do not allow public testing of an unfinished product, it leads to people getting angry because the game breaks or has huge glitches. For those looking for a finished product I would advise to wait until stand alone, but if you are willing to have fun playing a broken mod that might not be fixed quickly, then by all means join the party.

• Like 1

As I edited I realized the reply was dickish, but we are complaining about a three week absence after they started working on the stand alone. I would love some updates to the mod (I would also love to have sex with a different super model everyday but common sense dictates that will not happen), but I also realize that certain issues are broken until the stand alone such as hackers and most likely duping. It is a problem of limited resources and I have to say that I am perfectly fine with the company and Rocket devoting those limited resources to releasing a polished stand alone game. At the end of the day it is still a free mod regardless of whether you bought it specifically for Dayz or not, so any updates or fixes should be appreciated and lack of patches during a hectic time should at least be understood. You guys expect the World for nothing in return, show some patience. This is why most game companies do not allow public testing of an unfinished product, it leads to people getting angry because the game breaks or has huge glitches. For those looking for a finished product I would advise to wait until stand alone, but if you are willing to have fun playing a broken mod that might not be fixed quickly, then by all means join the party.

I sense that you have a brain, which is rare on these boards, so I'll continue our dialogue once more.

You guys expect the World for nothing in return, show some patience. This is why most game companies do not allow public testing of an unfinished product,

I hope the 'you guys' is not directed at me. I was answering only one aspect of your argument, namely the "you bought Arma2: OA, not DayZ!" aspect. I am not too worried about the frequency of updates or hotfixes etc. This is an alpha, so things take time, no big problem. I understand all that. I also recognize the basics of economics, and if you have hundreds of thousands of people buying your software to play DayZ, then making sure DayZ receives continued support (both the mod and the standalone) should immediately jump to the top of your priorities list.

The receipt may say Arma2:OA, but the fact is, a huge number of us bought it for DayZ alone and BI is fully aware of that.

That is all.

Edited by Angel_
  • Like 1

I agree with the OP. Updates used to roll out weekly and hotfixes used to come soon. Now we are left in the dust while Rocket developes his newest money magnet. Eh, it happens to the best, once they have potential to make big money.

So what should he do? Not make a standalone?

I think some folks are just impatient. Rocket pretty much started a new job, Lead Dev on a new game, and got tosses out to sell it. He is a busy man.

I don't know how many of you are old enough to work yet, but let me tell you..Transitions like this can be stressful. He was a contractor doing something else and went to Lead Dev on a new project.

He has a lot on his plate, and it is pretty much laughable folks are screaming because he has not done an update in a few weeks.

You are going to learn one day that things do not just happen because you want it too.

I hope he is taking a break and letting things absorb, he needs it.

Hey Rocket, your mod has just gone pro and you're to assemble a crack team to knock out one of the most anticipated releases of all time. You only have three months. Oh, and some Russian prick is copying your mod and trying to preempt your release.

By the way, when you get a chance, would you mind devoting to attention to the mod in an effort to bend the engine itself in order to turn the alpha into a stand-alone within the Arma2 engine? You see, people paid for Arma2 back in May, and they have only gotten a few hundred hours of playtime out of DayZ with it. You know how it is with money spent; it should keep paying off for eternity. These people are special, and their mom promised them that people would take very good care of them. Please don't test new stuff out in the mod either, because they hate change and new problems. They would rather see you experiment in the stand-alone where they can yowl at you that they paid for your game specifically. They like reasons for when they feel sad.

Also promise to post every day in between meetings and PR and actually working. Do it on the toilet if you have to, just don't let them think you don't care about their repetitive whinging posts. Interviews don't count. You must address them directly on the forums. Asshole.

I'm sure that most of the people who refuse to understand the simple situation here will be the first ones to run to the forums when they pay for the stand-alone and there are bugs.

• Like 4

Alpha or no alpha. Mod or full game. Doesnt really matter when the point of a video game is to be fun. Dayz was different and enjoyable. Now you cant play on a server of 15+ people for more then 10 minutes without being fucked with by a hacker or someone else. And people will rise to the thread to defend the mod but in its current state its unenjoyable. Spend 2 hours switching servers to find one that doesnt screen tear half the map, and then just when you start to get into the groove and you meet up with your freinds and start to arm yourselves Johny the fucking naked hacker comes up and shits all over your Dayz (pun intended). I mean when stuff started to go awry you could just dodge it most of the time by going somewhere else. Now people are teleporting behind me anywhere I go. In the last week I havent played for more then an hour without getting screwed with. Unplayable = No fun.

Alpha or no alpha. Mod or full game. Doesnt really matter when the point of a video game is to be fun. Dayz was different and enjoyable. Now you cant play on a server of 15+ people for more then 10 minutes without being fucked with by a hacker or someone else. And people will rise to the thread to defend the mod but in its current state its unenjoyable. Spend 2 hours switching servers to find one that doesnt screen tear half the map, and then just when you start to get into the groove and you meet up with your freinds and start to arm yourselves Johny the fucking naked hacker comes up and shits all over your Dayz (pun intended). I mean when stuff started to go awry you could just dodge it most of the time by going somewhere else. Now people are teleporting behind me anywhere I go. In the last week I havent played for more then an hour without getting screwed with. Unplayable = No fun.

Umm, this has been addressed more times than anyone here can count.

Scripting is PART of the ARMA 2 engine. It can, and has been curbed, but cannot be addressed in the MOD.

Period. Really. I am serious.

Rocket has said this. It is one of the reasons the Standalone is needed.

ARAM 2 was not designed to support the kind of play Day Z has.

Day Z is just a MOD of the ARMA 2 engine, and is therefore limited in what it can do within the bounds of said engine.

Mods should make a Day Z for Dummies thread and Pin it.

Hey Rocket, your mod has just gone pro and you're to assemble a crack team to knock out one of the most anticipated releases of all time. You only have three months. Oh, and some Russian prick is copying your mod and trying to preempt your release.

By the way, when you get a chance, would you mind devoting to attention to the mod in an effort to bend the engine itself in order to turn the alpha into a stand-alone within the Arma2 engine? You see, people paid for Arma2 back in May, and they have only gotten a few hundred hours of playtime out of DayZ with it. You know how it is with money spent; it should keep paying off for eternity. These people are special, and their mom promised them that people would take very good care of them. Please don't test new stuff out in the mod either, because they hate change and new problems. They would rather see you experiment in the stand-alone where they can yowl at you that they paid for your game specifically. They like reasons for when they feel sad.

Also promise to post every day in between meetings and PR and actually working. Do it on the toilet if you have to, just don't let them think you don't care about their repetitive whinging posts. Interviews don't count. You must address them directly on the forums. Asshole.

I'm sure that most of the people who refuse to understand the simple situation here will be the first ones to run to the forums when they pay for the stand-alone and there are bugs.

Sarcasm aside, you would be fully correct if this was some little dip shit mod operation. However Dayz has taken off full tilt, it gets LOADS of media coverage from video game sites, and the fact that the mod is now becoming stand alone does demand a higher level of competance. And theres something in it for Rocket. If they develop a stand alone and only charge 10 dollars they will make a killing off the hype alone. Dont sit there and tell me over a million of Dayz players were also Arma 2 Players before this mod launched. I bought Arma 2 just for Dayz, as did just about everyone else. Once it was decided that there was a profit to be made in launching a stand alone version of the mod then they should of upped the proffesionalism of the project as a whole. Hell if i was about to make 500 000 dollars in under a years worth of work I think i would be upping the anti a bit more. I mean simple shit like FUCKING SERVER SIDE SCREEN tearing......and vehicles/tents not saving.....And bandit skins deleting backpacks and shit. And these are all things that were not broken a month ago that are now for some reason not working.. This is not acceptable standards for a team whos moving from production on an alpha mod to a fucking stand alone platform. Its all grand and dandy that their devoting their time to launching the full game but letting the mod go to complete shit in the process is not going to help encourage gamers to beta test the stand alone when theyve come to expect no communication from the mod team on their current project

I mean hell Minecraft alpha was far from perfect but its funny how Notch is always keeping his fans in the loop and addressed issues at a resonable pace

Edited by Flavalicious

Umm, this has been addressed more times than anyone here can count.

Scripting is PART of the ARMA 2 engine. It can, and has been curbed, but cannot be addressed in the MOD.

Period. Really. I am serious.

Rocket has said this. It is one of the reasons the Standalone is needed.

ARAM 2 was not designed to support the kind of play Day Z has.

Day Z is just a MOD of the ARMA 2 engine, and is therefore limited in what it can do within the bounds of said engine.

Mods should make a Day Z for Dummies thread and Pin it.

And your a fucking moron, thanks for coming out. I dont recall ever once saying anything along the lines of "scripting is broken please fix". Im saying as a result of, the mod is no longer enjoyable. The fact that it cant be fixed has nothing to do with the point that I was making, which is the game is no longer enjoyable. Thanks for reading, maybe the internet should require a basic reading comprehension test.

[user warned. -Max]

Edited by Max Planck

Quite frankly you have one of two things:

1. Bad luck.

2. Bad judgment.

I can't help you with that first one, but perhaps the second one I can help. Stop going on servers with more than 30 people or so. 20 to be safe. I really hate going on completely empty servers to farm gear, that's just cheesy. But hackers flock to crowded servers. I haven't been thunderdomed in weeks, not have I ever been teleported to and killed. I have ONE time been killed by a server wide script kill (see my signature trololololo) but other than that, bugs are what gets me more than hackers. Glitching through walls, breaking bones for no reason, etc.

And your a fucking moron, thanks for coming out. I dont recall ever once saying anything along the lines of "scripting is broken please fix". Im saying as a result of, the mod is no longer enjoyable. The fact that it cant be fixed has nothing to do with the point that I was making, which is the game is no longer enjoyable. Thanks for reading, maybe the internet should require a basic reading comprehension course.

This was a highly unnecessary reaction to a civilized post. Calm down. Edited by Angel_
  • Like 1

There seems to be nothing left to test in the mod. No new content, no real bug fixes, we don't even see Rocket or the Devs in the forums anymore. So what do we do now until the stand alone is released? Run around with Lee Enfield's until a scripter kills us again? Only play on private hive servers? What do you guys to do pass the time on DayZ now?

why not troll the forums ... oh wait ....

Holy fuck how immature and ungrateful some people are.

And your a fucking moron, thanks for coming out. I dont recall ever once saying anything along the lines of "scripting is broken please fix". Im saying as a result of, the mod is no longer enjoyable. The fact that it cant be fixed has nothing to do with the point that I was making, which is the game is no longer enjoyable. Thanks for reading, maybe the internet should require a basic reading comprehension test.

[user warned. -Max]

I am sorry you cannot remain civil. :(

• Like 1

I don't know about anyone else, but Ive seen a huge decreasing in scripting in the last week. Ive mostly been playing on a private hive, which may make a difference. But seriously I have almost lived for a week and I play like 5hours every night. Previous weeks Ive been getting killed 2-3 times a night by hackers.

There seems to be nothing left to test in the mod. No new content, no real bug fixes, we don't even see Rocket or the Devs in the forums anymore. So what do we do now until the stand alone is released? Run around with Lee Enfield's until a scripter kills us again? Only play on private hive servers? What do you guys to do pass the time on DayZ now?

then you are an idiot and have no idea what alpha testing means. LAWL to everyone that plays this like a game.

Push the envelope of the system structure; find more bugs.

Really sad you need a Dev to show up on the forums in order to motivate you to help alpha test. Did you ever consider there is a lapse in updates for any number of reasons?

and btw, you profit the community nothing by playing on private hives, idiots.

I agree with the OP. Updates used to roll out weekly and hotfixes used to come soon. Now we are left in the dust while Rocket developes his newest money magnet. Eh, it happens to the best, once they have potential to make big money.

... Making money might be a factor. But I think, especially Rocket just wants to develop the standalone to get rid of engine restrictions he had to tend to in this mod. With such a large community and responsibility, there is little time to develop two things at once. So he's just focusing on the standalone. It's always best to assume the best in people, but of course he might just be a money hungry corporate cunt. I doubt it, though.

I agree with Schminx, give Rocket the benefit of the doubt. Working directly with BI on a stand-alone version of DayZ is a huge opportunity, and if he had passed it up we'd all be ranting now about what a shmuck he was for limiting himself to a mere mod, and we'd be right. Besides, what's so terrible about making money through hard work? I say, kudos to Dean Hall for developing an amazing mod and then turning into something even bigger.

Personally, I can't wait for the stand-alone, but in the meantime I'm still having mad fun with the mod. Lately I've been running around with a friend IRL doing various tasks. We recently went on an epic search for antibiotics (found them) and also discovered a civilian boat that was fully repaired and fueled -- it's amazing what a thrill you can get just from finding some crappy two-stroke motor boat that goes a pathetic 14 mph :)

Edited by abxt

Sarcasm aside, you would be fully correct if this was some little dip shit mod operation. However Dayz has taken off full tilt, it gets LOADS of media coverage from video game sites, and the fact that the mod is now becoming stand alone does demand a higher level of competance. And theres something in it for Rocket. If they develop a stand alone and only charge 10 dollars they will make a killing off the hype alone. Dont sit there and tell me over a million of Dayz players were also Arma 2 Players before this mod launched. I bought Arma 2 just for Dayz, as did just about everyone else. Once it was decided that there was a profit to be made in launching a stand alone version of the mod then they should of upped the proffesionalism of the project as a whole. Hell if i was about to make 500 000 dollars in under a years worth of work I think i would be upping the anti a bit more. I mean simple shit like FUCKING SERVER SIDE SCREEN tearing......and vehicles/tents not saving.....And bandit skins deleting backpacks and shit. And these are all things that were not broken a month ago that are now for some reason not working.. This is not acceptable standards for a team whos moving from production on an alpha mod to a fucking stand alone platform. Its all grand and dandy that their devoting their time to launching the full game but letting the mod go to complete shit in the process is not going to help encourage gamers to beta test the stand alone when theyve come to expect no communication from the mod team on their current project

I mean hell Minecraft alpha was far from perfect but its funny how Notch is always keeping his fans in the loop and addressed issues at a resonable pace

see heres the thing, the people that arent 10 and clueless understand the processes of game development, people that liked Dayz before the current problems will still buy the standalone purely for the fact that they know what the games capable of and that the devs will fix things 1 thing at a time like they have been. they (the devs) just understand how to focus on bigger and better things that are going to help and effect the game more then fixing a couple of current flaws in a mod just to have people bitching that theres still hackers and the mods still broken