RECphantom

Alpha testing is over for mod

This isn't World of Warcraft; a global channel completely defeats the purpose and destroys the game's immersion.

Rocket has stated that a properly developed form of the radio or similar could give similar features, which in my opinion, is the correct way to address the issue.

You have most of the tools available to you, what you do with them is up to you. No one is stopping you from running up to someone and communicating with them.

Rocket has stated that a properly developed form of the radio or similar could give similar features, which in my opinion, is the correct way to address the issue.

I honestly think that would be amazing. Having to FIND a radio in the first place; changing frequencies and constantly trying to feel out if someone else is out there by broadcasting yourself. Trying to communicate with friends while all the while knowing someone could have found your frequency and is listening the whole time (or doing the same to others). Sadly, I think people will always use an external voice chat like TeamSpeak/etc. and such immersion will never come to fruition. But, a man can dream!

I play on low pop servers (5 or fewer players). Since I started doing that I haven't been haxxed. The PvP there is extremely anemic though, and pretty much I only find other players at the airfields. So at this stage the mod has become pretty PvE heavy for me. I don't mind it too much considering. I'd rather do target practice on zeds than deal with the frustration hackers/alt-f4ers in PvP. The idea of building a base or repairing cars is gone- nothing saves.

I do have some fun zerging into Cherno or Elektro on a fresh spawn.

I agree that the alpha test is done. Seems as though over the last month known bugs have only gotten worse. If there are new bugs it's hard to isolate them from the long-standing bugs.

The hax and scripts thing is just a tough cookie to chew. The recent bans/people just getting bored I think are the only thing we can really count on there. It's always going to be present in the mod, at least to some degree.

The other stuff needs to be fixed last week. The graphics glitch/deletion of tents/vehicles/inventory is tedious and taxing my will to test further.

just want the artifacting and hacking to be gone nothing like boats falling from the sky

I honestly think that would be amazing. Having to FIND a radio in the first place; changing frequencies and constantly trying to feel out if someone else is out there by broadcasting yourself. Trying to communicate with friends while all the while knowing someone could have found your frequency and is listening the whole time (or doing the same to others). Sadly, I think people will always use an external voice chat like TeamSpeak/etc. and such immersion will never come to fruition. But, a man can dream!

I'd be happy with that mechanic, although personally I would still use Vent/TS to communicate with friends simply because it's more effective and doesn't take away from the experience for me. But I do think if you want to talk to unknown people on the server, it shouldn't occur through a generic chat channel and the whole radio idea would be an ideal way to draw the line between immersion and ease.

As for Vent/TS, I don't think it's a problem because those people already know each other so I think having an external way of communication is fine. The whole 'anyone in Cherno?' thing just needed to go away and require more effort to establish contact to create a better sense of immersion as well as being more of an emergency tool than anything else. While seeing people cry about you sniping them or whatever was amusing and all, it really doesn't belong.

I'm really not trying to complain, i was just asking for useful feedback that could help me enjoy a mod that has had very enjoyable moments. I'm not asking for hacking and other big problems to be fixed, i know those lye within the game itself. I really enjoy DayZ, i just don't like that the things i enjoyed doing in DayZ aren't really fun anymore (pvp on high pop server). I just don't think the mod is in it's prime anymore, that's all.

I'm excited for the stand-alone, but I'd be happy and excited if a dev poked their nose in the forums for a few minutes to say "Hey everybody, we're making progress!". Maybe i'm just being selfish though.

...Free...Mod? The mod may be free, but the game wasn't. i am just throwing a % out, but probably over 75% of the people only bought Arma2 for the mod, so people still had to pay money. And Rocket works with Bohemia, so I would imagine he gets paid for his time. Especially since he has given Bohemia new consumers. So your post was pointless. Whether people play Arma2 or the mod is irrelevant..

Yes the mod is free. You pay NOTHING for DayZ. DayZ has made $0. As I said I wonder if any of you have ever had to work.

I play the game. When a hacker kills me, I spawn and start over. The best part of the game is the social aspect, and that needs no gear to happen.

I agree that the alpha test is done. Seems as though over the last month known bugs have only gotten worse. If there are new bugs it's hard to isolate them from the long-standing bugs.

The hax and scripts thing is just a tough cookie to chew. The recent bans/people just getting bored I think are the only thing we can really count on there. It's always going to be present in the mod, at least to some degree.

The other stuff needs to be fixed last week. The graphics glitch/deletion of tents/vehicles/inventory is tedious and taxing my will to test further.

Exactley what Bloomquist said here is what sums up this thread and putting it back on topic. Although I am going to continue playing here and there.

Edited by -JMP-

Myself I stopped playing DayZ and went back to playing Arma2 with ACE2 + ACRE

Why do people talk about making money like it's a bad thing? What's more likely to get updates and new content the free mod? or the paid game that puts food on rockets table?

hey I'm all for it

and bohemia will have my money again

I bought Flashpoint, Resistance, ArmA and ArmA 2 when released (I just skipped queens gambit)

and recently 2 copies ArmA 2: CO in steam just for DayZ specifically oh and I also bought BAF and PMC addons just for the hires "skins"

BUT FIRST:

bear traps and no bears?

deer stands and no dears?

no female zombies?

no ragdolls?

no player customization?

no real melee? directional combat?

fix/include all that and I'll buy their game

I do want them to have money, I want them to succeed, I want to have fun playing their game!

Why don't they listen to the community?

Edited by waffen-79

side chat was great, my reasoning is it left me find ppl to play with. Now that side chats disabled and ive been sense isolated from my friends, it kills the mod for me, and asking for ppl to play with on the forms is silly. Real social interaction is how friends are made, not asking for a group to play with.

...Free...Mod? The mod may be free, but the game wasn't. i am just throwing a % out, but probably over 75% of the people only bought Arma2 for the mod, so people still had to pay money. And Rocket works with Bohemia, so I would imagine he gets paid for his time. Especially since he has given Bohemia new consumers. So your post was pointless. Whether people play Arma2 or the mod is irrelevant..

No, the game wasn't free. If you had done your research, though, you would realize what kind of game Arma II is and what Bohemia Interactive's target audience is. You have every right in the world to complain about Arma II itself if something isn't working as it should for you, just like you will have every right to complain once you purchase the DayZ standalone.

Regarding your estimation, even if those numbers were true, I would believe that it only accounts for a small fraction of Bohemia's revenue considering the existing contracts between military training and so on. A company will not simply change their product in an instant because of a mod that all of a sudden became popular and seeing them encourage the mod in the first place should be considered a good start.

While Rocket is an employee of said company, I very much doubt that he will see much, if any, of the profits generated through his mod. This obviously wouldn't apply to the standalone version, but for now it can be safe to assume that much of his work has not been rewarded (and others working on DayZ).

I'm sorry but I just don't understand your logic; there are many, many money-whoring companies out there such as EA and Activision and yet you choose a guy who probably got less than he deserved for his work so far? The only real problem here is DayZ having its problems and appealing to a wider range of an audience led to the mod to become too popular, too fast and people making purchases without enough research.

If it really isn't playable/enjoyable for you, get rid of DayZ and try Arma instead. Give it some time and come back at a later stage.

My suggestion to everyone is to find another game to play until the standalone game comes out. Rocket has more important things to do and deadlines to meet then continue to work on this MOD. I'm not saying this mod is dead but if you're bored with it there probably won't be any new content. I really like playing it but it is starting to get stale.

I wish side chat was on for 2 reasons: 1. Less killing on sight. 2. I have had to murder people with my assault rifle because they thought trading bullets at point blank was a good idea, I would love to type in chat after killing them: WTF were you thinking man?

It is funny how people blame the mod. This thing spread by word of mouth. There was no marketing, and the mod was just so fucking cool that it exploded into the biggest gaming story of this young decade. This attracted FPS types and all the haxxors, lamers, griefers, non-testers, kids, and what-have-you's that come with it.

You bought a game to play the alpha of a mod. That's what you did. Rocket developed a pretty damn playable alpha of a mod and made it free to download. That's what he did. He didn't sell you anything or even make an attempt to do so.

Should there be a disclaimer on Steam that says "WARNING: DO NOT BUY THIS GAME JUST TO PLAY DAYZ BECAUSE THAT IS AN ALPHA OF A MOD AND YOUR GAMING EXPERIENCE IS NOT GUARANTEED"?

Or, you could just use your mind to build this logic in to your decision to purchase arma2 like most people did. This is why school is important, kids.

• Like 2

They could release the mod to community develop it as rocket is concentrated in the standalone, private servers have done a good job.

I do the same as I have done all along: Run around, die, run around, die, run around, die.

But mostly I spend my time not complaining about how the mod developers manage theirs.

Can imagine a lot of those deaths are by bugs/glitches and of course script abusers.

Can imagine a lot of those deaths are by bugs/glitches and of course script abusers.

Actually, it mostly happens when I come home drunk and decides to play a little before going to bed.

Otherwise I'm very careful and I have only ever experienced one obvious example of hacking on the servers I play on (they aren't private ones).

Edited by Max Planck

Ever since I stopped proning through door openings, i've stopped dying by bugs/glitches.

Edited by Toggi

Just because the game is over for you, doesn't mean it isn't for everyone else.

I don't understand why more people can't put the game aside and play something else.. Every game out there will get boring eventually if you play it hours and hours each day. There is no point in burning yourself out before we even get something official. Let it go people. .

As long as they fix the blatant hacking issues in the standalone version, who here won't be happy?!

I would rather the vehicles save properly. I hate walking for 10m (minutes, not meters) to meet my friends, especially after I've wasted time locating and repairing a car.

I will of course be happy to see the hackers gone, but right now I have more of a problem with bugs and features not working than I do with hackers. I've only been killed by hackers twice, although everyone else and their mother says they are scriptkilled/teleported/thunderdomed daily.

Rocket made the free mod in his spare time, the fact that you paid for Arma2 sounds like your problem not his. Sure he got paid for the concept he created that took off, but the company and Rocket would have to be morons to continue giving the mod away for free. The mod is free and I did buy the game to play a free mod knowing that it would probably get a standalone version, stop crying about reality and things anyone with a working brain could see coming.