rocket

About the Security Issues

The Google Groups message Tonic sent out wasn't in possession of all the facts, and was very poorly written. Tonic has apologized to me for this. He is under an extreme amount of pressure. He is not compensated for what is pretty much a fulltime job under high stress. Mistakes happen. To his credit, his only mistake was a PR one and he avoided any serious harm occurring.

I would like to reiterate, that posts/emails from anyone except for me do not represent the official point of view of the project. Also, that google group is not an official group of the DayZ Dev team, and I am not a member of that group.

Fact: One of our Artist's PC's was hacked by a person known to him.

Fact: The hacker used the Artist's password to attack the forum's.

Fact: This was detected almost immediately, initially it was thought that this person was in fact the artist themselves.

Fact: DayZ has RDP/Admin access to less than 15% percent of the servers hosting DayZ.

Fact: The forums were vandalized, and this was detected and rolled back immediately.

Fact: A staff member, in a rush to inform everyone, was misinformed and overreacted resulting in the infamous google groups message.

Why does this happen?

Please remember that I cannot do everything myself, as such an army of volunteers help. Tonic is under an extremely large amount of pressure and is required to devote a large amount of time to dealing with increased security threats. Nobody can be expected to get everything right every time.

Also, take what you read in the game media with a grain of salt, my experience thus far is that I am quite often misquoted and sometimes I have quite a giggle at what ends up appearing.

I have listed the facts above, anything else should be evaluated carefully, not everything you read on the internet is correct and with the amount of misquotes attributed to me after/during E3 I would treat many of even "reputable" gaming media servers with a degree of caution.

Are we taking security seriously

Well, did Sony take security seriously? The FBI? People get hacked, it happens. I think we do a pretty good job considering about one month ago we had less than ten servers. We are also at pains not to store personal data, the only data we store is the forum data you supply (such as your email). So the worst that can happen, is that all DayZ data is wiped.

The DayZ team has been stepping away from administering the servers ourselves for the last three weeks, as we simply cannot cope with the volume of server requests and setting them up. Hence, we only have direct access to less than 15% of total servers. So any claims that anything being compromised would allow the rise of us wielding a network that could be a "giant botnet" are incorrect and misinformed.

Thanks for setting the facts out. I take EVERYTHING I read on the internet with a pinch of salt unless it is from the horses mouth.

I think it is clear that Tonic did not handle the indecent well but understand the panic that can arise when you think your system has been compromised but are not sure of exactly how. I have experienced the same thing.

PS Edit: Thunfisch, x7Steelers7x and FaceofMankind.... I'm literally stunned. I hope you're trolling.

Seriously dude? This is the guy who came up with the thing you're trying to play, he's been halfway around the world with work, done god knows how many interviews, he's trying to put out about half a dozen fires, and you throw an all caps demand in a completely unrelated thread.

Get over it. The server issues will be fixed when they get fixed. In the meantime you could try sodomizing a zombie.

Any info on the current desyncs? Do you know what the problem is and can you fix it soon, or will it take some time?

Rocket: "Serious things are happening. Because of x, y, and z, we are doing a, b, and c. We hope to have everything working soon. We're sorry for the inconvenience."

People: FIX LAG DJFAIFHUKHG,JWRGFABDFASFEFEA

The db-box is experiencing routing issues, it'll be fixed soon enough. In the meantime you should all just go outside, have a breath of fresh air and perhaps grab an apple or two, relax and enjoy the weather.

Yeah, people, please, just keep it on topic IF you can contribute about the security issues, which I doubt.

This is not the "grab rockets ear and while like a b*tch" thread. You CAN whine, just not here nthere is a place for that.

Think.

Thread is titled security issues not lag issues lol, it's a shame some people get butt hurt over a game then go to large lengths to get back at the community.

thanks rocket and tonic (and the rest of the team) for the information and clarification

and your efforts and work

Wtf is with all the "fix lag" bs in this thread? Stay on topic nubs. If you're pissy about server lag maybe you should start a thread in the appropriate forum instead of being a douche bag about it.

Thanks Rocket for setting the record straight. All you guys hard work will pay off; that i'm a 110% sure about. Keep up the good work dev team/mods.

Everyone makes a boo boo, every now and then, and if you add panic too the mix you can get some bigger boo boo's. but things are under control now so.

but i was wondering one thing. how much time do you rocket use on Dayz each day?

however many hours keep up the good work.

Welcome back, dudes i had a bike found it up NW airfield and after killing 300+ zombies i got on it in victory and then the server crashed.

Hello Rocket. This morning, I was unable to log onto my account. I then proceeded to check the members list and found that my account wasn't there. So, I just remade the account a minute ago with no troubles, it didn't tell me my email was in use or the username. I was just wondering if my account had been deleted by admins or what happened. It was the same username as it is right now. Thanks in advance.

The server lost a number of days of data.

The forums aren't a priority service, and we are upgrading them to IPB soon, so they aren't backed up that often. I realize that might upset people, but really the forums are just the least of our concerns at the moment until the new system is in place.

Everyone needs to relax about the forums. It happens to forums sometimes. I'm shocked that people are so bewildered about it all.

Last night, the moment that I looked and saw that the posts were dated 5/29, I looked in announcements and it was easy to figure out. It's 2012, people.

Game should have an IQ test.

The server lost a number of days of data.

The forums aren't a priority service' date=' and we are upgrading them to IPB soon, so they aren't backed up that often. I realize that might upset people, but really the forums are just the least of our concerns at the moment until the new system is in place.

[/quote']

It was easy enough to re-start an account. Don't worry about the people who are making demands about lag or upset about rollbacks on the forums. Missing bags and security issues and time zone adjustments are far more important than rude people. Though Air France and lost luggage is a tune I have sung. I feel the pain.

If you do need PR stuff for free, I am trained in that and would be happy to offer any assistance in editing or even composing things, just in case there are issues. In the age of the iPhone it's easy enough to do in moments.

Wow rocket way to compromise my security. Also rocket needs to stop acting like a douche' date=' you guys shouldent even have to worry about "PR mistakes", its a fucking mod.

[/quote']

Are you high or just stupid? Everything gets hacked these days, regardless of what it is so these things happen. Don't throw all your info onto the internet and you shouldn't have to worry about someone getting a hold of it. Second off rocket is trying his damnedest to make this mod work correctly and this isn't his job so it might take some time for things to happen. Also you're an idiot for thinking that they don't have to worry about PR mistakes. Anything that is said on these forums becomes completely miss strewn to fit that persons "problem" so there is a lot of PR to deal with when children cry about an alpha not working correctly because they are too illiterate to understand what an alpha is. So next time think before you post if your brain can handle that very small task.