Sign in to follow this  
arx

Magic white blobs at side of screen

really did not notice these prior to the patch, are they new?

if a zed or player is nearby there is a small white cloudy blob on the side of the screen. if there are lots, then there are lots of these blobs.

it isnt audio spotting like in bf3, its worse. as they dont even have to make noise. was just wondering if rocket sees white blobs at the sides of his eyes when a person is behind him to one side? no?

i only play vet servers or exp and these blobs are still there. its fairly hard to ignore them and it completely detroys immersion, making it all feel a bit gamey. we should see more and more of these retarded features as the standanxbox nears completion

Its an ARMA 2 "debug" setting that creates red blobs around enemys, green around friendlys and white around unknown targets. Its a bug that its still on the side of the screen like that, but not much can be done about it im afraid, as its an arma 2 problem.

• Like 1

No mother of god I don't no what is this no no no NO NO NO NO NO NO

I have never seen something like this before

It's peripheral vision, it's been in the game for ages. Whilst i agree the range and angle at which they appear is stupid, i wouldn't call it unrealistic; as if you were moving through the woods in real life and saw movement in the 'corner of your eye' so to speak, you would notice it.

Also, i like how you're using this as a platform to bash 'new retarded features' as we get closer to standalone, even though it's been part of the game for atleast 2 months.

Edited by Nam Otatop
  • Like 2

Am I the only one that read "Magic white boobs at side of screen" ?

• Like 2

These things have been around since I started playing a few months ago. They are part of the game, and its suppose to replicate your peripheral vision. Personally, I think its dumb as well. Helps you pick out hidden objects, makes hunting animals ridiculously easy.

Needs to only point out things that are currently moving quickly imo, but I think this is an Arma thing. Not sure though.

Its an ARMA 2 "debug" setting that creates red blobs around enemys, green around friendlys and white around unknown targets. Its a bug that its still on the side of the screen like that, but not much can be done about it im afraid, as its an arma 2 problem.

It's not a bug, it's a feature.

It's supposed to mimic the periphial vision humans have in real life.

• Like 1

These things have been around since I started playing a few months ago. They are part of the game, and its suppose to replicate your peripheral vision. Personally, I think its dumb as well. Helps you pick out hidden objects, makes hunting animals ridiculously easy.

Needs to only point out things that are currently moving quickly imo, but I think this is an Arma thing. Not sure though.

I don't think they're that dumb, your view is severely limited in game compared to true human vision, movement in the corner of your eye will always attract your attention and I think the white blobs are a good way to replicate that ability. It's certainly no less stupid than 3rd person view...

• Like 1

if you go to the optician and take that eye test where you put your head in a machine and stare directly at the red dot right in front of you, you have to press the button as green dots appear in your peripheral vision.. as in, the dots which appear around the red dot you are staring at. peripheral vision doesnt mean whats behind you. you arent pressing the button every time the optician moves around behind you, when your head is in that machine

just seems retarded you could close in on someone for a stealthy kill, then have them swing around and nail you because of this bullshit feature.

if they wont remove it for vet/exp, you should still be able to play with it disabled by choice - even if thats a disadvantage.

Does this work for players aswell? I've only seen it on z's animals and vehicles.

not sure tbh! i will try it tonight with a friend.

if its just zombies i still feel it needs to go. when turning from side to side, crawling yesterday, it was just stupid having a bunch of white dots switch from left to right, moving up and down. wtf

I wish these would only show up in 1st person view. You don't need to see things out of the corner of your eyes if your eyes are currently hovering a meter behind your head.

It does work on players. Also, I've noticed that players with Ghilles on have green blobs. Dont know about the camo outfit.

These are not a Day Z feature. ARMA has had it for years to replicate peripheral vision as stated before.

I don't know if it is easy to remove or make an optional feature but I can assure you its not something Rocket implemented for this Mod.

It was developed under normal ARMA gameplay concepts, not post-apocalyptic mods. For instance hunting, gutting and cooking goats was never intended when ARMA was developed.

It does work on players. Also, I've noticed that players with Ghilles on have green blobs. Dont know about the camo outfit.

When you change to ghillie suits you become a "sniper" or a BLUFOR unit and thats why the dot is green. I bet camo clothing is the same if a BLUFOR template is used.

man that blows, hard

i really hadnt noticed it until yesterday but since then its something i cant ignore. now to know a player could suss me this way its worse.

i think peripheral vision aide would be wrong tho. for example if you are staring down your iron sights at a barn, because you know someone is in there and you keep staring there hard.. then someone at the top right of yoru screen crawls out of another building. if you saw that you have good peripheral vision. if you failed to see if you have bad peripheral vision. either way no white dots are needed because its all happening on your screen

this white blob shit is more a field of vision aide. or magic aide. whatever, it just sucks

This has scared the living shit out of me on multiple occasions, i always have to investigate them for fear of hostile players...

I've seen it on some servers and not on others. It's irritating to me when they appear under building roofs like shown in the pic a few posts above. Like xray vision or something... should not be showing there for sure.